Collecting Militaria

mininghorn88

Any of you out there collect militaria?  If so, what?

I collect WWII memorabilia primarily focusing on US named uniforms (100+).  In addition to uniforms I have a little bit of everything else including headgear, field gear, manuals, pictures, newspapers, books, patches, medals, etc.  Most items are US but I do have some Third Reich stuff.

(un)Fortunately I have the space in my house to have it all out on display to see and enjoy.

If you are a WWII collector, I will suggest a visit to Military Heritage Collection of North Texas in Nevada, TX.  Don't judge a book by the cover, what's inside is really cool.  If the weather is nice, you may even get a ride in the tank.  

http://www.fubarmotorpool.com/?fbclid=IwAR2785FOOn3p8EEfpKORlpIDNtxeVXjG_rEJRyNqmUvAIZUWTuh-Yze6wH8

https://www.facebook.com/ntexasmilitarymuseum/

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, bobcat1995 said:

If you are a WWII collector, I will suggest a visit to Military Heritage Collection of North Texas in Nevada, TX.  Don't judge a book by the cover, what's inside is really cool.  If the weather is nice, you may even get a ride in the tank.  

http://www.fubarmotorpool.com/?fbclid=IwAR2785FOOn3p8EEfpKORlpIDNtxeVXjG_rEJRyNqmUvAIZUWTuh-Yze6wH8

https://www.facebook.com/ntexasmilitarymuseum/

Nice. I did not know that this museum existed.  Only a couple of hours away for me too.

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Just have some of the stuff my Dad carried & used throughout the war from the Aleutians to The Bulge.

CB2E164E-B23C-4534-B0DA-B55F58AAE6B8.jpeg

Nice to have family items.

My grandfather was a bit on the old side during the war plus he was in the rail industry so he did not get drafted. He did serve in the Texas Guard during the War.  I have his garrison cap.  He had a brother that served in the Aleutians.

I have another great-uncle that served from 1937 through 1962.  I have tons of items that was his during and after the War.IMG_4039.thumb.JPG.adf3cc78c2c23c5cb6082bcc1929d37a.JPG

• Hook 'Em 8

My son has a M1 Garand, made in ‘45-‘46, I can’t remember because he has the papers on it. It wasn’t “issued” because it was in pristine condition and purchased at an auction by his Uncle. His 18th B-Day gift!

It was “pristine” until we both shot about 10 rounds each - just to make sure it “worked”!
Pretty loud for an indoor range too. We both got a lot of attention that day.

8 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

My son has a M1 Garand, made in ‘45-‘46, I can’t remember because he has the papers on it. It wasn’t “issued” because it was in pristine condition and purchased at an auction by his Uncle. His 18th B-Day gift!

It was “pristine” until we both shot about 10 rounds each - just to make sure it “worked”!

That is one big mean gun.  I've had the opportunity to fire one several times.  I grew up hunting with WWII German Mausers, and they didn't kick like that M1.

1 hour ago, msucolt45 said:

I have a War issued M1 Carbine and a 1911 .45 as well.  Would like to have a Garand one day.  My son has a War issue 03 Springfield that was modified in the 1950's for hunting.

Multiple generations of service in my family across all branches.  I never have understood the fascination with uniforms.

Personally, my favorite possessions are photos 'liberated' from a nazi camera of a military parade possibly at Olympic Stadium in Berlin; given to me by my grandfather before he passed.  Also a handmade knife carried in theater, from same grandfather, means a lot.  I  have my own NCO sword from my time in the Marines displayed with my son's saber from West Point. Some dog tags and then pictures of all of us at about age 20 in our respective service uniforms are in my man cave.  

usually when I look at old military gear, I just pity the guys and gals who had to try and use it to survive..., but yes, it's cool too, I guess.

During my son’s teenage years, while his friends wanted air-soft guns, we bought multiple Mosin Nagants and Mausers, all made prior to/during the WWII era. The Russian Mosin’s are no-frills, but the 7.62x54R is a great round. Still pretty cheap too. When we start going to purchase the 7mm and 8mm rounds, the price goes beyond “plinking” rounds.

We only have about 150-200 rounds, for his Garand, that we have purchased at Gun Shows.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’d take the son’s friends (teenagers) to the range and let them shoot real guns. His rifles and pistols. I bought him a Glock 19 for his 16th B-Day, that he has with him today.

I’m prior military and participated in multiple shooting sports, so I taught every one of the about range safety and etc, from loading to unloading. I even had neighborhood kids help reload rounds to go shoot.

Getting off thread - I digress.

• Hook 'Em 1

I have a Korean War era bayonet that belonged to me dad. Solid heavy knife. Take it on camp outs and such, it works pretty well as a mini-machete, plus I could mount it on a stick and hunt wild pigs when the End Times come.

Used to have a German dress dagger, swastika and all, that dad dug out of a post-war ruined building in Germany. My mom sold it for a song to the first person who was interested, probably just to get it out of the house.

I've got odds and ends from my own 1980s National Guard days, I kept anything that could be used for camping. Still wear my Snoopy hat whenever it gets below freezing. Gave most of the BDU stuff to my son to destroy, I think I've got one set left with the Elvis collars, and a coat that I can't wear because I'm too lazy to lose 50 pounds.

I did accumulate some foreign gear in Austin from the guy north of campus who had the ambulance parked by his shop. It was for mundane use like bookbags or camping. Stuff was from the 1950s and I still use most of it-- French musette bag, Swiss pack (a real one, not this hipster shit,) a (worthless) Dutch sleeping bag, French pup tent. I made a joke once to the guy about getting a French Adrian helmet to use as a bike helmet, and the guy found me one. Kinda felt like I should buy it, so I did. Olive green, missing the French Army grenade crest. Might never have had one, because the French exported those things everywhere. I found out the Mexican Army wore them in the 30s, so there's a likely candidate.

Has been worn once, in the rain, as a bike helmet, and once, at Halloween, as part of a costume.

Ze French 'Elmet:

119089960_10101723514036269_636622269866

119471811_10101723514061219_248211997021

119297441_10101723514091159_360754314073

Edited by RDCanecutter
  • Hook 'Em 2

During my son’s teenage years, while his friends wanted air-soft guns, we bought multiple Mosin Nagants and Mausers, all made prior to/during the WWII era. The Russian Mosin’s are no-frills, but the 7.62x54R is a great round. Still pretty cheap too. When we start going to purchase the 7mm and 8mm rounds, the price goes beyond “plinking” rounds.

We only have about 150-200 rounds, for his Garand, that we have purchased at Gun Shows.

Would love to hear more about the Mosin, Mauser, and any other surplus rifles any of y’all have or have shot.

The boy is interested in acquiring a surplus rifle for target shooting etc when we go out hunting. He will actually use the gin, so...any specific recs, or guns to avoid at all costs?
  • Like 1

1903’s are very expensive now.  Good luck sub $1000.00

Mosin are still plentiful- Not sub $100 anymore but still affordable shooters.

Mausers are pricey- Russian capture rifles are less expensive but still 2-3x a Mosin.

Carancos are cheap but I’d be carful with them.  Some aren’t reliable with moderns Ammo and can be dangerous.  You need to have them verified as shootable by someone with knowledge.

There are some Swiss and Swede rifles out there that are cool and affordable.

Enfields are pricy like Mausers but you can sneak up on a deal now and then.

Arisaka bargains are still out there.

Garands and M1 Carbines are expensive and getting worse but are plentiful on the market. 

Tons of rifles (all of the above) have been sporterized and those can be cheap but don’t have the collector and no longer have the military feel / interest.

Take the steps to be CMP buyer eligible and order a Garand for the boy.  May take some time but you’ll get one eventually and cheaper than the open market.  Have to jump through some hoops but it’s worth it for sure. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I ended up with most of my grandfather's stuff, I think.  he was a 90-day Wonder, and a planner for D-Day.  have his dress uniform, a box of patches, ribbons and buttons in a box with other trinkets, notably containing a German Eastern Front campaign medal I assume he traded for over there, a little German Walther pistol that looks to have barely enough power to do the job if you stuck it in your mouth (but at least it was semi-auto), and his mess kit, just like the one Brat posted above.  the only thing I have on display is a portrait of him in uniform, draped with his dogtags.  but I look the other stuff over, now and then, and make sure the pistol is oiled.

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Not a collector but I have (and discussed on the old board) the patch quilt my great grandma made during and probably a little bit after the war. Boarded soldiers at her house, sent care packages in exchange for patches, did a lot of quilting.

wwiipatchquilt.jpg

I have seen many “patch” blankets but this is the first quilted one. It is super nice; a reallly nice piece to have.

I forgot that I have a sporterized Mosin-Nagant. Never shot it, just don't trust it. A while back, a friend who "knows everything about old bolt-action rifles," took the bolt apart and couldn't figure out how to reassemble it. I tossed the widgets in a drawer and haven't touched them since. Mrs. Canecutter once grabbed this boltless thing to shoo off a strange man who was banging on all the doors. She played hockey, so probably could have laid him out using it as a club.

(Turns out he was a road crew worker trying to get her to move her car so they could repave. I found out about the entire incident when he apologized to me. I have no idea how many other people she has drawn down on.)

My friend collects lots of old weapons and blew half his thumb off shooting a defective Enfield. He thinks either the IRA sabotaged it to get a British soldier, or vice-versa.

2 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

I forgot that I have a sporterized Mosin-Nagant. Never shot it, just don't trust it. A while back, a friend who "knows everything about old bolt-action rifles," took the bolt apart and couldn't figure out how to reassemble it. I tossed the widgets in a drawer and haven't touched them since. Mrs. Canecutter once grabbed this boltless thing to shoo off a strange man who was banging on all the doors. She played hockey, so probably could have laid him out using it as a club.

(Turns out he was a road crew worker trying to get her to move her car so they could repave. I found out about the entire incident when he apologized to me. I have no idea how many other people she has drawn down on.)

My friend collects lots of old weapons and blew half his thumb off shooting a defective Enfield. He thinks either the IRA sabotaged it to get a British soldier, or vice-versa.

Spend about 10 minutes on YouTube and you could have that M-N bolt reassembled in no time.

Once you do......3 cinder blocks, an old blanket and some string will work for safely test firing it if you are so inclined.

• Hook 'Em 1

There is a good show on the Smithsonian Channel called "The Weapon Hunter" that focuses on rebuilding/restoring WW2 weapons (mostly).  The best part of the show is when he goes to some of he private collectors looking for parts and you get a chance to see some fantastic collections of WW2 weapons as well as other memorabilia...

On 9/10/2020 at 2:11 PM, Armybrat said:

Just have some of the stuff my Dad carried & used throughout the war from the Aleutians to The Bulge.

CB2E164E-B23C-4534-B0DA-B55F58AAE6B8.jpeg

WOW, that is truly a treasure of immeasurable value.  Reading "With the Old Breed" by E.B. Sledge.  What those men went through....simply amazing.  

8 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

I forgot that I have a sporterized Mosin-Nagant. Never shot it, just don't trust it.

My most miserable rifle experience was sighting in a friends Mosin-Nagant Carbine with that god damn metal butt plate.  Every shot out of those hot 7.62x54 rounds dug that small plate deeper and deeper and left a hell of a bruise.  Every casing cracked and split under pressure, so getting them out was miserable as the bolt stuck between shots.  Then I started to worry the whole damn thing was going to explode in my face.  It was hot so I was wearing a t-shirt with no padding.  Just miserable all around.  Hate those damn things....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I was going to get a CMP M1.  But then I found out most modern .30-06 are a little too hot for it and will bend the op-rod.  I am reasonably sure I would have been either disappointed with a rack grade, or afraid to shoot it if it was a nice one, plus the ammo issue.

I got an M1A instead.

Also, an Arisaka makes a Moisin-Nagant look like a Weatherby.  Functional, I'm sure, but look like they were milled with a bastard file and a couple of bricks.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

On 9/14/2020 at 6:17 PM, TwiceHorn said:

I was going to get a CMP M1.  But then I found out most modern .30-06 are a little too hot for it and will bend the op-rod.  I am reasonably sure I would have been either disappointed with a rack grade, or afraid to shoot it if it was a nice one, plus the ammo issue.

I got an M1A instead.

Also, an Arisaka makes a Moisin-Nagant look like a Weatherby.  Functional, I'm sure, but look like they were milled with a bastard file and a couple of bricks.

Excellent points.  Several major mfgs have now started making Garand specific loads for the 30-06 to mimic the old M2 Ball ammo.

For those military buffs who want to shoot their Garands, that's an excellent and safe option.

The CMP also sells a line of new production M2 ball from Creedmoor Sports that are used by a lot of Garand competition shooters who don't reload their own.

If someone wants to shoot their Garand, its not a problem any more and can be done without risk to the rifle.  (Same goes for 1903 shooters)

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Excellent points.  Several major mfgs have now started making Garand specific loads for the 30-06 to mimic the old M2 Ball ammo.

For those military buffs who want to shoot their Garands, that's an excellent and safe option.

The CMP also sells a line of new production M2 ball from Creedmoor Sports that are used by a lot of Garand competition shooters who don't reload their own.

If someone wants to shoot their Garand, its not a problem any more and can be done without risk to the rifle.  (Same goes for 1903 shooters)

Will modern .30-06 rupture an 03?  Seems a bolt-action would be less susceptible to any kind of damage.

23 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Will modern .30-06 rupture an 03?  Seems a bolt-action would be less susceptible to any kind of damage.

LOL, not in the slightest.  That old block of a bolt could withstand a .300 WM.  Zero issues of any kind.  Unlike the Garand which was built for specific pressures, old bolt-guns are usually overbuilt and fine.  

1 hour ago, Reagan1k said:

Buddy has one re chambered for 7.62x51mm.  Less Pressure, more available ammo.  Fun to shoot.  

• Like 1

There are a large number of 1903 shooters that have low serial number guns who won’t shoot higher pressure rounds due to some strength differences in the bolt mechanism in the early vs. later productions.

To stay on the safe side many of those with low number 1903s will not shoot higher pressure loads.  There’s some debate about this but if one wants to be cautious and not risk damage to the gun or person, it’s a reasonable compromise to shoot the clones of the original M2 ball Ammo.

The truth probably lies somewhere in the middle but since the Ammo is there, anyone who wants to be careful has an option.

I’ve got one of the CMP Garands they they rebuilt and added the spacer block In order to convert to .308 .  I don’t know if they still sell them, but it was a popular option for people who wanted a shooter and not a collectible back years ago. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

You can also buy adjustable gas plugs that allow you to use modern ammo.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004719245?pid=412046

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/10/2020 at 6:48 PM, mininghorn88 said:

Nice to have family items.

My grandfather was a bit on the old side during the war plus he was in the rail industry so he did not get drafted. He did serve in the Texas Guard during the War.  I have his garrison cap.  He had a brother that served in the Aleutians.

I have another great-uncle that served from 1937 through 1962.  I have tons of items that was his during and after the War.IMG_4039.thumb.JPG.adf3cc78c2c23c5cb6082bcc1929d37a.JPG

That is a beautiful collection!!

16 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Select images from my Civil War collection of all battlefield dug bullets, Buckles, and buttons.

FullSizeRender-211 copy.jpg

FullSizeRender-211.jpg

FullSizeRender-210.jpg

Nice collection of Civil War items. Though I do not collect CW the era still fascinates me. I can’t tell you how many CW sites I have been too.

A buddy of mine that I work with is from the Gettysburg area where his family owns an apple orchard. You can see their property from Round Top. It has been in his family for decades. During the CW troops camped on their property. They are always coming across CW relics. Makes me jealous.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/14/2020 at 5:54 PM, BabaYaga said:

My most miserable rifle experience was sighting in a friends Mosin-Nagant Carbine with that god damn metal butt plate.  Every shot out of those hot 7.62x54 rounds dug that small plate deeper and deeper and left a hell of a bruise.  Every casing cracked and split under pressure, so getting them out was miserable as the bolt stuck between shots.  Then I started to worry the whole damn thing was going to explode in my face.  It was hot so I was wearing a t-shirt with no padding.  Just miserable all around.  Hate those damn things....

Just found this thread, but this right here.  My Dad has an old sporterized M-N.  I shot it as a kid and got that same bruise.  It just sits in the closet nowadays.

I remember seeing a stack of them brand new at the back of a hardware store in Denton in the 1990s.  They were $50 each.  

• Haha 1

On 9/17/2020 at 11:15 AM, RDCanecutter said:

I'd rather own this than many an SUV that costs the same or more.

82c2b9f9eb3baf2e7f1d651ed5b72e0bb932ce85

https://military-ads.com/ads/m3a1-scout-car

In Valera, an old timer names Nonny Smith out of MIdland had a whole yard full of those.  Jeeps.  Half-tracks.  Dozens of old deuce and a halves.  Even had a Sherman sitting there decades back.  Anyone that travelled between Coleman and Ballinger passed it.  Down the road from Big O's BBQ where he'd eat all the time and drive his little stock jeep back and forth.  Where we got ours that was pictured stuck in the mud.  You can swap out the engine and/or tranny with hand tools.  Amazing old machines.  Those old tires are almost impossible to puncture as well.  Basically solid rubber so they are amazing in Mesquite/cactus country.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

In Valera, an old timer names Nonny Smith out of MIdland had a whole yard full of those.  Jeeps.  Half-tracks.  Dozens of old deuce and a halves.  Even had a Sherman sitting there decades back.  Anyone that travelled between Coleman and Ballinger passed it.  Down the road from Big O's BBQ where he'd eat all the time and drive his little stock jeep back and forth.  Where we got ours that was pictured stuck in the mud.  You can swap out the engine and/or tranny with hand tools.  Amazing old machines.  Those old tires are almost impossible to puncture as well.  Basically solid rubber so they are amazing in Mesquite/cactus country.  

My grandmother lived in Ballinger and I'll bet I passed that yard a thousand times as a kid.  I specifically recall an old M8 armored car that I had an eye for.  Thanks for this intel as I had always wondered who was behind that interesting collection.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Chad Fuck said:

My grandmother lived in Ballinger and I'll bet I passed that yard a thousand times as a kid.  I specifically recall an old M8 armored car that I had an eye for.  Thanks for this intel as I had always wondered who was behind that interesting collection.  

He had everything in there.  Mobile communications stations.  Armored and tracked vehicles, basically anything vintage with a diesel engine that he could fix.  

RIP Nonnie (misspelled, and it was Odessa, not Midland)

Nonnie obituary

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

He had everything in there.  Mobile communications stations.  Armored and tracked vehicles, basically anything vintage with a diesel engine that he could fix.  

RIP Nonnie (misspelled, and it was Odessa, not Midland)

Nonnie obituary

Rip Nonnie.  I wonder what happened to all that glorious stuff.  I hope it all found good homes.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

SO bad ass!  Love it

The button collection is really special. That pic is a small piece of about 3 cases of a really beautiful collection of dug buttons. There's also a collection of assorted uniform accoutrement, company letters, pins, badges, memorial emblems, etc.  

Maybe the coolest piece is a revolver with silver plated pistol grip, and the Union officers name inscribed along the spine. (I've got an image of him during the war).  He lost it at the battle of Malvern Hill.

He died of his wounds in Louisiana. As he lay dying on the battlefield he gave his officers sword to a sergeant with instructions it was to be set home to his family.  I'm trying to get the sword from a collector now.  Knowing the Provenance of a piece always makes it much more fascinating.

• Hook 'Em 3