Ski(mask) season, 2020-2021

chesthair

12 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Looking at the first post in this thread, he was 100 percent trying to skirt the 1 household per rental regulations and got caught.
[mention=1724]chesthair[/mention], you can suck it. Shit like that is exactly what the mountain communities are trying to avoid and i guarantee you knew about it and thought you could get away with it.

It looks like the “one household” rule was announced after he booked, if you look at the posts when he said he had booked which was 11/13 at the latest (code red policy officially announced 11/19).  Now, the question is whether he could have received a full refund if he’d canceled when it was announced.

1 hour ago, AustinMT said:

It looks like the “one household” rule was announced after he booked, if you look at the posts when he said he had booked which was 11/13 at the latest (code red policy officially announced 11/19).  Now, the question is whether he could have received a full refund if he’d canceled when it was announced.

yep.  i guess chewy is just a dick.  when we booked, we checked with the owner and vrbo and there were no 1 family restrictions at the time.  we followed every rule to a T.  negotiated 75% refund with vrbo and everyone else let us cancel.  was really hoping to find another house up there but even the vrbo mgr told us there is nothing.  headed to red river tomorrow, found a couple places to let us split up the kids/families so all is not lost.  

1 minute ago, SMUlawUTgrad said:

I’m going to follow you. Our trip is thanksgiving so hoping this are open. We’re undecided between Breck and keystone.

Seems like you might get a leg up. Normally in breckenridge they have a childcare program you can tack on 1 hour lessons to for 4 and under...but covid closed this year. We were selling as snow camp until I read it was shut down.

We have a 7 and 9 year old that can still do traditional ski school. There’s no real full day option this year, but should be enough for my wife and I to ski in the morning.

He knew. There is a reason VRBO is only refunding 20 percent. And who the fuck is planning vacations with other families right now?

yep.  i guess chewy is just a dick.  when we booked, we checked with the owner and vrbo and there were no 1 family restrictions at the time.  we followed every rule to a T.  negotiated 75% refund with vrbo and everyone else let us cancel.  was really hoping to find another house up there but even the vrbo mgr told us there is nothing.  headed to red river tomorrow, found a couple places to let us split up the kids/families so all is not lost.  
Dude, you knew. Just own it.

11 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

He knew. There is a reason VRBO is only refunding 20 percent. And who the fuck is planning vacations with other families right now?

I don’t see an issue so long as both families are like minded in either their caution or their recklessness with regard to covid. 

1 hour ago, Bill Brasky said:

some people like to ski 

I like to ski too, I'm not going skiing this year because there's a pandemic. I realize that skiing isn't just about being outdoors and stuff, outside is cold where there is snow everywhere. Apres is also a big part of a ski holiday, so is warming hut stops etc. 

If everyone was going just for the love of skiing that would be one thing, but I feel like from what I've read this is more of a "family vacation" type vibe and not a sporting holiday. Family vacation is important as hell, and I feel for wanting and liking skiing. I just dont understand what the deal is planning this during a pandemic

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

I like to ski too, I'm not going skiing this year because there's a pandemic. I realize that skiing isn't just about being outdoors and stuff, outside is cold where there is snow everywhere. Apres is also a big part of a ski holiday, so is warming hut stops etc. 

If everyone was going just for the love of skiing that would be one thing, but I feel like from what I've read this is more of a "family vacation" type vibe and not a sporting holiday. Family vacation is important as hell, and I feel for wanting and liking skiing. I just dont understand what the deal is planning this during a pandemic

I can’t answer for everyone but we are renting a house off property so that we can cook meals instead of dining out with others. My local ski hills have shut down the lodges and huts, so if you want food or warmth you go to your vehicle. That will be how we operate whether mandated by big sky or not. We trust the family that we are vacationing with to be doing the correct things, and understand that the biggest risk is probably their plane trip up. They even ordered their rental gear online to be delivered to the house, so that crowded interaction is eliminated. 
we are being as safe as we can be. Yes, staying home would be safer. 

Just now, Chewbacca said:
48 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:
I don’t see an issue so long as both families are like minded in either their caution or their recklessness with regard to covid. 

The mountain towns care. They need to make sure the resorts don't get shut down this winter. That would be devastating to their economies.

I live in a summer tourist town. They didn’t give a shit, and I guess assumed that the local and state elected republicans wouldn’t outright close things down. Best I can tell, since I’m not patronizing places, most aren’t enforcing the mask mandate that finally did happen last month. 
I understand that the politics, and therefore attitudes of Colorado ski towns are different. 

I live in a summer tourist town. They didn’t give a shit, and I guess assumed that the local and state elected republicans wouldn’t outright close things down. Best I can tell, since I’m not patronizing places, most aren’t enforcing the mask mandate that finally did happen last month. 
I understand that the politics, and therefore attitudes of Colorado ski towns are different. 
The resorts got shut down in mid March. They lost the last month of the season last year, including Spring Break, so that was rough.

Summer was ok and most things were open and cases stayed low. But we had a giant spike a few weeks ago and many hospitals were full. I think we were close to a shutdown then. If things spike like that again, it could happen. Thankfully things are looking better now. Still not good, but better.

But my big issue is people who don't respect the local rules in place, like OP in this thread. They don't give a shit, as long as they get their vacation. And when they get caught, they bitch and moan instead of admitting they knew and got caught.

I welcome anyone who wants to come here as long as they are willing to abide by our rules that are in place. They are there for a reason, whether you agree with them or not. And our initial outbreak was brought to us by tourists at ski resorts. So we're touchy on that subject.

On 12/27/2020 at 9:44 AM, immamac said:

I'm not trying to dogpile or anything, but what the fuck are you guys doing planning ski trips during a pandemic? 

i mentioned it up thread, but we arrived to Telluride the day they shut down the resort in March.  Luckily, the first night was at a hotel, and we hadn't yet checked into our VRBO.  I was able to push our reservation back to the same dates in 2021. 

So, unless the mountain shuts down again, we're going.  With our close friends.  Five kids between the two families.  Both driving.  It's about as good as we could ask for a family vacation during Covid.  Since we're driving, we'll be loaded up with groceries.  We weren't planning on going out to eat much last year, but this year, every meal will be at the house.  Ski-in / ski-out setup.  I've been very impressed by Telluride's communication and proactive measures to minimize headcount on the mountain.  Steps like one family to a lift, etc may lengthen lift lines, but should improve social distancing.  

Take out the restaurants and apres ski activities, and I'm of the opinion that this situation is about as minimal of an exposure risk as we could ask for.

My family and I are on Day 5 of our trip to CB. We’ve been out to eat 4 of those nights. The town and everyone in it are masked up.  Like at 100%_ I’ve not seen a single person without a mask.  I feel a thousand percent safer here that at home (DFW-area).  Further, the  restaurants are limiting patrons. 

On the actual skiing front, Vail has limited the # of passes, however that has caused lengthy lifT lines.  Yesterday was a shit show, as we waited at ~30min for Red Lady Express and then another 30 to get up Painter Boy to hit the front side blue runs.  In talking with people in said lines, there seems to be many more CO residents who stayed local for the Holidays and drove in.  I suspect this added to the crowds.  I think they said “screw it” and went to other resorts because today was much lighter. 

Working on planning out to Durango to hit a few days at Purgatory.  Any tips on the area.  I would ski every single day if possible.  Family likes doing other things, as well. I also Hesperus is a little mountain with tubing hill at the bottom with a few fun runs and night skiing.

Of course, all Euro skiing is off.  Time to hit Colorado since NM is quarantiny.  

• 2 weeks later...

Am considering a spring break ski trip, the first for my kids. 

A) am I nuts, and we should just go camping somewhere

B) if I'm not nuts, what mountains have good snow, good deals, and a COVID responsible ski school? Neither of my kids have skied before. 

4 minutes ago, JSB said:

B) if I'm not nuts, what mountains have good snow, good deals, and a COVID responsible ski school? Neither of my kids have skied before. 

Gotta go north for snow.  PNW or Montana.  Utah and Colorado kinda sucky.

May not matter for ski school terrain though.

I haven’t made turns this year.  So my free advice is worth what you paid.

8 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

Gotta go north for snow.  PNW or Montana.  Utah and Colorado kinda sucky.

May not matter for ski school terrain though.

I haven’t made turns this year.  So my free advice is worth what you paid.

Kind of matters when spring break is. April or March. We've had some great days in late March/early April  in Utah, and CO.   It's just a bit of a crap shoot.  

Further north west is probably the safest bet, but the resorts aren't always as kid friendly it seems (smaller, more spartan).

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Kind of matters when spring break is. April or March. We've had some great days in late March/early April  in Utah, and CO.   It's just a bit of a crap shoot.  

Further north west is probably the safest bet, but the resorts aren't always as kid friendly it seems (smaller, more spartan).

This would be the week of March 8th. Looking at Steamboat, but still weighing the COVID implications. 

We went to Purgatory this past weekend. The snow wasn’t great but most of the groomed runs were open. They did get 7” of snow right after we left with more on the way this week, so maybe it would be a little better if anyone else is going soon.

Most of Colorado is low on snow. Wolf Creek has pretty good snow right now so that might be a safe bet.

From a Covid safety standpoint, skiing felt very safe. The lift lines were spread out, everyone wore masks, never really got close to a stranger for any reason. On mountain dining was outdoors only and very limited.

I wouldn't go on a ski trip right now.  Skiing part is still fun and feels mostly normal.  But there's nothing to do after skiing.  Wake up, ski, go back to your condo.  Still costs as much, but much less fun than normal ski trips.  

And the snow sucks ass right now.  

8 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

But there's nothing to do after skiing.  Wake up, ski, go back to your condo.  Still costs as much, but much less fun than normal ski trips.  

My wife is an expensive après skier, so it’s actually much cheaper right now. 😀

But yes, I agree on the snow sucking in most places and that’s the true deal breaker at the moment.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I wouldn't go on a ski trip right now.  Skiing part is still fun and feels mostly normal.  But there's nothing to do after skiing.  Wake up, ski, go back to your condo.  Still costs as much, but much less fun than normal ski trips.  

I'll take condo time if I can get a day on the hill......... Priorities my man... pry-orities!!

14 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I'll take condo time if I can get a day on the hill......... Priorities my man... pry-orities!!

Yeah, just trying to adjust expectations.  I've only skied 6 days so far this year, but I haven't set foot inside a lodge yet.  And I don't plan to.  I pack a lunch in my backpack and pee in the trees.  

I know for some the apres-ski is just as important (or more important) than the actual skiing.  And that's pretty much non-existent.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, just trying to adjust expectations.  I've only skied 6 days so far this year, but I haven't set foot inside a lodge yet.  And I don't plan to.  I pack a lunch in my backpack and pee in the trees.  

I know for some the apres-ski is just as important (or more important) than the actual skiing.  And that's pretty much non-existent.

I haven't had a day on the hill yet. We don't have much here on the east coast anyway. I'm trying to get a sneak away trip in February out west somewhere. I like apres ski for sure, but I'll forego it if I can just get my skis on some steeps.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2021 at 5:36 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

I haven't had a day on the hill yet. We don't have much here on the east coast anyway. I'm trying to get a sneak away trip in February out west somewhere. I like apres ski for sure, but I'll forego it if I can just get my skis on some steeps.  

This, after buying a new board that's been sitting unused in my closet after getting shut out last year, I am dying to get into some snow at some point this year.  I can do w/o the lodge and apres ski.

This, after buying a new board that's been sitting unused in my closet after getting shut out last year, I am dying to get into some snow at some point this year.  I can do w/o the lodge and apres ski.
Skiing itself (at least at Winter Park) has felt very safe. Lines are spaced out and you don't have to share lifts with other groups. Mask usage in line is at about 90 percent, so that could be better, but overall they have done a good job.

But you still have to get here, obviously.

this is the thread i should have found lol

just booked 5 nights airbnb in Telluride for early April, just the two of us. we arrive the day the lifts close...but we don't ski so don't care, actually banking on it being pretty sparse people-wise :) will catch the gondola on the last evening!

more interested in scenery, hiking or sledding (depending on weather), day trip to hot springs if open, etc. will also research snowmobile options if any that late in the year.

husband will actually work during most of week. will pretty much eat every meal in house, and we should both be vaccinated by then as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/19/2021 at 10:08 PM, JSB said:

Big sky Montana has a good ski school. Can’t vouch for snow there this season. Montana has been pretty good about covid so my guess is the resort will be responsible. 

we are booked the second week of March at an air bnb in town. 

well, we went ahead and took the normal place. Booked Winter Park. I've been there a dozen times, but my wife and kids have never been. This will be both my kids first ski trip, so I'm looking forward to long runs in the morning, especially if I can get some powder, and spending the late days being that dad that is helping his kids down the greens, while video taping. 

well, we went ahead and took the normal place. Booked Winter Park. I've been there a dozen times, but my wife and kids have never been. This will be both my kids first ski trip, so I'm looking forward to long runs in the morning, especially if I can get some powder, and spending the late days being that dad that is helping his kids down the greens, while video taping. 

I wouldn't bet on powder this year unless something drastically changes. I haven't had to use my snow blower the entire month of January.

Hope it turns around soon.

Looks like my timing actually paid off. Was going to go to Angel Fire over Christmas break for our first family ski trip but Covid did away with the kid's break. At that time only 25% of the runs were open and snow was crap.
Going for kid's winter break in a couple of weeks now and the mountain has gotten a good amount of snow the past few weeks where they are at 100% trails open. So that should spread everyone out a bit.
Not much to do in town as restaurants are all take-out or eat outside but I got a condo that is half block from the lifts so we'll just plan meals there.
Going to ski 3 days and then hopefully snowmobile the 4th day before coming back home.

• 1 month later...

Just got back from Park City.  Best skiing in my life, 3' of snow while we were there Feb 15-21.  Alta go 100" but we stayed in PC.  Felt very safe, of course on the slopes you are always masked up anyway.  All dining on the mountain was reservation only.  EPIC has a great App for morning of time slots for all the mid-mountain spots and never was an issue.

After early bad returns, seems like the EPIC-Vail reservation system worked itself out.  We had to cancel at New Years and re-book (out of covid fears and lack of snow) and our 3 days of lift tickets transferred easily.  Crowds were not bad, we had been told Presidents day week is like the Winter Break in UT, but we did not experience any major crowd issues.  Stayed at our standby VRBO spot, Park Station, nice place , easy in-out, walk to town lift.  Wife can shop and walk to Main St/Park Avenue. 

First year no Ski school.....pros, get to ski with my 3 girls....cons, no single ski days for me anymore, but all good.  Awesome trip, for me, Park City is the best spot all things considered.

Edited by jdhorn92
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1