Texas D-Line Talk

Reese Bennett

On 9/5/2021 at 11:15 AM, Tex-19 said:

Anyone know what's up with Alfred Collins? I didn't see him once.  

I wasn't super impressed by the run D yesterday, but in the pass game I think they were really emphasizing containing the QB over all-out pass rush. Mission accomplished if so.

Yeah interested in why Collins did not play much vs Louisiana...

E-wy5LyXIAkIK3X?format=jpg&name=medium 

Oghoufo  with nice game vs Cajuns...

E-wy5LvWYAIWoB4?format=jpg&name=medium 

Edited by LTtxfan

That Connor was underrated by the services.

He's smart, played tight end until he grew too much, and by all reports has good feet and a nasty disposition. He's a multi-year starter, can play four positions, and is a candidate to leave early if he's not completely invested in astrophysics. Plus, he likes BBQ.

Edited by Reese Bennett

11 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Lots of criticism of O-line vs Arky.  Gotta say I was also disappointed by the D-line yesterday.  

TEXAS Defense needs a helluva lot more "nasty" out of this experienced D-line group.

O line couldn't generate the run, but Card had all day to pass and just couldn't hit.

D line got dominated.  Didn't matter who Arkansas ran, they gained good yardage.

Thanks for this @satyanash

(Bobby Burton) Sunday: Waking Up

If you woke up this morning still smarting from last night’s butt kicking, you’re not alone. While logic tells us any single performance is never as bad or as good it seems, it’s hard to think about just how fundamentally wrong last night went and still be “logical” about anything.

The Horns got beat up front. On BOTH sides of the ball. I half expected the offensive line to be average. But the defensive line has surprised me. They should be a team strength yet they are not, at least not in the dominating way one would hope. Furthermore, as Paul pointed out in his Post Mortem, the defensive play-calling did not adequately address or respect Arkansas’ offensive strengths. 

33 minutes ago, maninblack said:

PFF Grades (Snap in parenthesis)

Ojomo: 81 (30)

Byron Murphy: 65.6 (13)

TVondre Sweat: 64.6 (24)

Vernon Broughton: 57.9 (15)

Jacoby Jones: 53.4 (40)

Keondre Coburn: 47 (29)

Alfred Collins: 38.5 (26)

How the hell are Coburn and Collins so bad all of a sudden?

Woof... Wtf is going on w/D-line

Scipio Tex - Arkansas Postmortem

DL

Frankly, a lot of them seem weak, they aren't very technical, and I see a lot of high pads and hand fighting instead of attacking with a purpose. Maybe they're being asked to read and react rather than force the issue on the other side of the line of scrimmage. I can't explain it. Keondre Coburn is a problem for about five snaps a game (including a great walk back of an Arkansas guard that led to an early TFL). Too bad there were 62 other snaps. T'vondre Sweat had 5 tackles and hustled, but he's contesting with Vernon Broughton for president of the aim-high pad level club. Moro Ojomo had a nice TFL and had some good hustle tackles, but he's not being used to attack gaps. Alfred Collins played, so that's cool.

This defensive front needs better coaching and a re-evaluation of what the Horns are trying to do with them. 

44 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Woof... Wtf is going on w/D-line

Scipio Tex - Arkansas Postmortem

DL

Frankly, a lot of them seem weak, they aren't very technical, and I see a lot of high pads and hand fighting instead of attacking with a purpose. Maybe they're being asked to read and react rather than force the issue on the other side of the line of scrimmage. I can't explain it. Keondre Coburn is a problem for about five snaps a game (including a great walk back of an Arkansas guard that led to an early TFL). Too bad there were 62 other snaps. T'vondre Sweat had 5 tackles and hustled, but he's contesting with Vernon Broughton for president of the aim-high pad level club. Moro Ojomo had a nice TFL and had some good hustle tackles, but he's not being used to attack gaps. Alfred Collins played, so that's cool.

This defensive front needs better coaching and a re-evaluation of what the Horns are trying to do with them. 

FFS I thought we brought in technical guys that can coach ?????????????????

Scipio was pretty critical of Coburn and Broughton's performances in the Rice game.

DL

Moro Ojomo played good ball. Great effort. Particularly against the run. I thought this was Sweat's best game this year so far. More active, lower pads, better hand placement. Injured the 2nd Rice QB with a hard tackle. Jacoby Jones had a nice tackle for loss and mixed it up in the running game. Ovie had a sack on a T/E stunt when the QB flushed into his hands and got a tipped ball later, and he was better against the run after a F level performance against Arkansas. Ovie wasn't in favor of the Cold War. Hates containment strategies. Barryn Sorrell looks the part and I'd like to know more. Alfred Collins got more run. We'll see on Alfred. Byron Murphy had a nice sack in the late 3rd quarter when he walked back a Rice OL right into the QB. Textbook by #90.

I'll just say it: Keondre Coburn has not been a useful player inside. I don't like watching him, but it's hard not to see the guy standing straight up hand fighting and getting driven off of the ball or stalemating with an OL and watching. I don't know what happened but his pad level is terrible, he has no technique, and he's much weaker. I would limit him to 15 snaps a game and play a lot more Sweat-Ojomo pairings. Vernon Broughton is still too high and doesn't bring his feet.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Scipio was pretty critical of Coburn and Broughton's performances in the Rice game.

The defensive line performance has been one of the biggest disappointments of the season so far in my view. I think anyone with a modicum of rationality expected struggles from the offensive line and wide receivers this year, given the awful recruiting and coaching in those departments the last few years. But we have actually recruited pretty damn well along the defensive line, specifically at defensive tackle, and the struggles don't really make sense to me.

It seems like it's about time to give up on Coburn being a true difference on a consistent basis. Collins is the most talented defensive lineman we've had since Malcom Brown, and either he or the coaches really need to wake the fuck up. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 1

21 hours ago, satyanash said:

DL

Moro Ojomo played good ball. Great effort. Particularly against the run. I thought this was Sweat's best game this year so far. More active, lower pads, better hand placement. Injured the 2nd Rice QB with a hard tackle. Jacoby Jones had a nice tackle for loss and mixed it up in the running game. Ovie had a sack on a T/E stunt when the QB flushed into his hands and got a tipped ball later, and he was better against the run after a F level performance against Arkansas. Ovie wasn't in favor of the Cold War. Hates containment strategies. Barryn Sorrell looks the part and I'd like to know more. Alfred Collins got more run. We'll see on Alfred. Byron Murphy had a nice sack in the late 3rd quarter when he walked back a Rice OL right into the QB. Textbook by #90.

I'll just say it: Keondre Coburn has not been a useful player inside. I don't like watching him, but it's hard not to see the guy standing straight up hand fighting and getting driven off of the ball or stalemating with an OL and watching. I don't know what happened but his pad level is terrible, he has no technique, and he's much weaker. I would limit him to 15 snaps a game and play a lot more Sweat-Ojomo pairings. Vernon Broughton is still too high and doesn't bring his feet.

Thanks  @satyanash 

Yeah, Scipio's final comments below...

Final

I'm not trying to overplay the run shakiness, but this defense has a ways to go in its fundamentals and needs to look at rewarding the most productive DL with more snaps, even if it means shortening up the rotation. I'm very curious to see this secondary tested against Tyler Shough and a capable Tech receiver corps.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Thanks  @satyanash 

Yeah, Scipio's final comments below...

Final

I'm not trying to overplay the run shakiness, but this defense has a ways to go in its fundamentals and needs to look at rewarding the most productive DL with more snaps, even if it means shortening up the rotation. I'm very curious to see this secondary tested against Tyler Shough and a capable Tech receiver corps.

thanks for cutting these up. Its pretty amazing that we went into the year thinking DT was one of the strongest positions with the least volatility and now there is talk that benching a starter might be in the best interest of the team. 

32 minutes ago, burdine said:

Scipio is hinting at the new strength and conditioning team changes from Yancy McKnight hampering the D line. Of course, that is an area he thinks he has expertise.  I don't know enough to know.

Love this quote...

"I don't know shit about fuck" - Ruth Langmore  

Edited by LTtxfan

Coburn has literally always underperformed, except this year he's coasting like a senior in high school.  

45 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Our DL was good last year and only lost one guy - Ossai. Yes he was a beast but you wouldn't think everyone else would get so much worse. I don't get it.

Also lost TQ Graham.  Not the most talented guy but showed more effort in more games than some of his colleagues.  Ojomo is the main holdover from last year that is helping the line not be absolutely terrible this year. 

Wait... 2020 didn't happen did it?

Edited by squeegeedegg
Timewarp
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Our DL was good last year and only lost one guy - Ossai. Yes he was a beast but you wouldn't think everyone else would get so much worse. I don't get it.

I'm in the same camp.  Really expected Bo Davis to elevate the play of this "supposedly talented" DL group.

Poor DL play is one of the biggest disappointments for me with this current team...   

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

I'm in the same camp.  Really expected Bo Davis to elevate the play of this "supposedly talented" DL group.

Poor DL play is one of the biggest disappointments for me with this current team...   

For Coburn, I am in the its on you camp. I just remember his interview talking about how the coaches wanted him to lose some weight so he can be a complete player/play longer. He came in losing 3 pounds, which for him is a bowel movement. 

• Haha 2

0 points and less than 300 yards of offense. Less than 200 yards thru the first 3 quarters. Lots of reps for lots of guys early in the game. We were better in game 3 than game 1.

No matter what you think of ArKansas they manhandled their opponent this weekend.

Let it play out. Sweat and Ojomo are playing hard. Our LBers move towards the ball. Ovie played his best game. It may be coming together.

No time to shit our pants now.

9 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

0 points and less than 300 yards of offense. Less than 200 yards thru the first 3 quarters. Lots of reps for lots of guys early in the game. We were better in game 3 than game 1.

No matter what you think of ArKansas they manhandled their opponent this weekend.

Let it play out. Sweat and Ojomo are playing hard. Our LBers move towards the ball. Ovie played his best game. It may be coming together.

Speaking of LBers, very glad to see the amount of rotation on the field vs Rice.  I have yet to see anything from Gbenda that makes me want to see more of him.  I know it won't happen but I would like to see what Ben Davis looks like at that position

51 minutes ago, burdine said:

Scipio is hinting at the new strength and conditioning team changes from Yancy McKnight hampering the D line.

Of course, that is an area he thinks he has expertise.

I don't know enough to know.

I typically hate all the speculation on S&C stuff but I've wondered about this. A lot of focus now on agility, flexibility etc it seems like. I think that will be a good change in most areas (skill positions, DBs, preventing the plethora of injuries Herman's teams always had), but DL and OL may need different programs. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Had Enough said:

Piggy is not the bag of shit team some even now still claim. They will not be last in their division, and they are in year 2 of a decent coach. I don't know if we just took them for granted or still don't have the talent, or the WILL,  or all of the above. Hoping this smackdown translates into better play this weekend and moving forward.

• Hook 'Em 1

Piggy is not the bag of shit team some even now still claim. They will not be last in their division, and they are in year 2 of a decent coach. I don't know if we just took them for granted or still don't have the talent, or the WILL,  or all of the above. Hoping this smackdown translates into better play this weekend and moving forward.

I think we’ve got the talent. Arkansas was fired up. We were in game 2 of a new regime. They took advantage of our uncertainty and slow reactions. We missed on big plays that could have kept us in the game. And, yes, they have some skill.

If our Oline keeps bringing it and improves week to week, our offense could be something. Sark doesn’t need much depth at WR. He needs 3 guys. Worthy, Whittington and Dixon/Moore should do. We still miss some blocks, but there tons of made blocks and some devastating ones.

Yes it was Rice but 44-0 at the half. That’s impressive.

1 hour ago, squeegeedegg said:

Speaking of LBers, very glad to see the amount of rotation on the field vs Rice.  I have yet to see anything from Gbenda that makes me want to see more of him.  I know it won't happen but I would like to see what Ben Davis looks like at that position

Ben Davis looked pretty lost against Rice, and seemed like he was wearing cement blocks for shoes

Scipio Tex -- Everyone Gets A Trophy Podcast (Sept 20th)  "Filling Up On Rice"

12min mark, Discusses D-line.  Critical of Coburn & Broughton.  Says PK/Bo should reduce both players game reps.   Also discusses that we still lack a complete player at the DE's 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/filling-up-on-rice/id1479624200?i=1000536078923 

Edited by LTtxfan

So... I just thought about this and maybe I am just wishcasting...

But this new defensive system is a "keep the OL off the LBs" type, right?  We're more accustomed to the DT / NT attacking/disrupting.

Think about it... we're bitching exactly the opposite of what we've always bitched about.  Before, it was, "The LBs suck ass and can't get through the wash, but our DTs are kicking ass..."  Now it's, "The DTs looks slow as shit, but our LBs are looking good - finally."

If every DT looks bad all of a sudden, there is something we aren't seeing (other than production.)

I think it’s very possible that the switch from McKnight to Becton, coupled with what OL/DL are asked to do in these schemes, is a mismatch.

Now, McKnight was a mismatch under Ash as well, where DL were tasked with more playmaking responsibility. But McKnight had the DL putting on mass and pretty strong at the point of attack. What he did with them would actually be a pretty good fit for this scheme, and was good for the DL under Orlando’s tight front. Similarly, Flood is looking for huge, powerful OL and the S&C approach has moved away from that.

I think it’s very possible the struggles we’re seeing out of Coburn in particular are attributable to McKnight bulking the quickness he showed as a recruit and freshman out of him, and being unable to get back to that point in the new program. But in the same time he wasn’t getting the focus on the brute strength aspect that McKnight brought, which was the positive to having him on the field: good luck moving him. Broughton was always a project and really shouldn’t be on the field. His is less a S&C issue at this point and more that he’s a big basketball player that needs to be taught how to play DL at a major college football program.

Also what the hell happened to Myron Warren? We’re trotting Jett Bush out as a 4i and this guy can’t see the field?

They will be no better than 5th in the SEC West and very possibly 6th. Mississippi State blows so there’s that.

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

But this new defensive system is a "keep the OL off the LBs" type, right?  We're more accustomed to the DT / NT attacking/disrupting.

Think about it... we're bitching exactly the opposite of what we've always bitched about.  Before, it was, "The LBs suck ass and can't get through the wash, but our DTs are kicking ass..."  Now it's, "The DTs looks slow as shit, but our LBs are looking good - finally."

If every DT looks bad all of a sudden, there is something we aren't seeing (other than production.)

Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

3 minutes ago, Sal said:

Coburn has always been useless aside from a few snaps a game. Most fans saw a big guy and lied to themselves. 

Interesting comments

Come to think of it, I'm struggling to remember hardly any high energy type plays from Coburn like we saw from Poona.  🤔

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

I think there's some truth to this but Sark has voiced his concerns with the lack of disruption from the DL.