Texas D-Line Talk

Reese Bennett

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Poor interior guys doing a lot of work but having to face 4 mobile QBs to start the season, and the edges consistently rushing past the QB.

I just want to see a spin move or a swim move from an edge. I cant remember seeing OVie or Sorrell show a pass rush move

9 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

We sucked at sacking the QB last year and this year. PK is consistent in his scheme. 

The pass rush has been noticeably better this year and they’re absolutely letting the DL get after it. If you think they’re coaching/scheming the DL the same as last year then I’m not sure what games you’re watching.

We’ll never have a great pass rush with our edge group, but pressures are generally more predictive of future sack numbers than sacks, so I expect our sack numbers to pick up some moving forward. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

If you think they’re coaching/scheming the DL the same as last year then I’m not sure what games you’re watching

It is exactly the same. Too conservative. Too many key 3rd and 4th downs without additional pressure via blitz. Just like last season. I'm not sure what games you are watching. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Thx for this @taybo20

This suggests to me the greater issue is at the LB/DB level and a failure to cover/make tackles after the QB is pressured. 110 pressures is a fuck ton and shows good usage of the front and in this day and age with significantly quicker releases from QBs (down by about 0.5 seconds from the 2000s and 0.3 seconds from 2017 alone (latter per the Athletic)) QB pressures are of a greater significance imo in terms of measure and predicting defensive front success than sacks. Now of course given how shit our edges and LBers are there are some complicating factors in evaluating our D under that lens as these numbers with competent Edge/LB crews would result in incredibly low play counts and TOP on the offense side and very few points scored.

2 minutes ago, squeegeedegg said:

Best set of highlights all season just absolutely brutalized by slack jawed Tim Brando

As for DL talk, Byron Murphy is easily our best interior guy now

I think that is a very bold statement. More to the point I think it is great that it is a legit debate this year 

• Like 1

I don’t know if Bo told PK to get in the portal after last year or if a light switch just finally turned for a bunch of our guys or what, but the DL play is night and day compared to last year. OU was the team that looked like we did a year ago, soft 3 down fronts asking their DL of eat blocks to try to give the LB’s a chance.

Sweat, Ojomo, Coburn, Murphy, Broughton and Collins all look improved. Not a single one regressed or took a step back.

• Hook 'Em 2

Sort of a new development, Richardson seemed to fulfill the main backup role for Ovie this week. Only 9 snaps but I will take any news that hopefully pushes Ovie to perform or move on to backup.

He just doesn't provide enough of a positive influence for the defense.

Edited by pacman

25 minutes ago, pacman said:

Sort of a new development, Richardson seemed to fulfill the main backup role for Ovie this week. Only 9 snaps but I will take any news that hopefully pushes Ovie to perform or move on to backup.

He just doesn't provide enough of a positive influence for the defense.

I’ll have to go back and look to confirm, but it seemed like we only brought in Richardson in obvious passing situations. You don’t want him defending the run. (Edit: just looked, Richardson had 9 snaps and 6 of them were as a pass rusher).

Ovie isn’t getting benched at this point. He’s better against the run than last year but still an overall jag. We will upgrade next year with Tapp, Burke, Bledsoe (although he might be a JACK) and any portal/HS additions.

Edited by Hookem2147

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/5/2022 at 11:17 PM, LTtxfan said:

Glad D-line played good today !!!

The D-line has played well all season, Bo Davis is the hero of the defensive coaching staff. Not only did he break his foot off into the asses of some shitty players, he went to the DC and told him, fuck you, my guys are going to attack.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1