Texas D-Line Talk

Reese Bennett

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

FCB...

Texas senior nose tackle Keondre Coburn revealed this week he and his girlfriend will become parents to a little girl whose due date is May 17.

“Hopefully, maybe she’ll wait to come until May 23rd, because that’s my birthday,” Coburn smiled. “I’d love to have another little Gemini with the same birthday.”

Coburn had another year of eligibility at Texas but has accepted an invitation to the East-West Shrine All-Star Game Feb. 7 - along with Texas defensive lineman Moro Ojomo and cornerback D’Shawn Jamison - and all three will enter the 2023 NFL Draft.

So tonight’s Alamo Bowl game will be Coburn’s last as a Longhorn.

“(Texas defensive line) Coach Bo Davis said in the NFL they play 17 weeks and we only play 12 weeks, so why not play one more game?” Coburn said when asked if he thought about opting out of the Alamo Bowl.

“We dominated I feel like all year. I love these dudes up here. It’s another opportunity for us to just showcase our skills against somebody else, a different conference, the Pac-12. So why not just go play and have fun?”

• Like 1

With Ojomo and Coburn both heading to the draft, we seem to be a little thin DT. Byron Murphy and Sweat and then who?  Collins, Broughton and the FR S. Mitchell. I hope we are looking to the portal for another couple 300lb ers. Last year we were able to hold the line with a strong 6 man rotation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

With Ojomo and Coburn both heading to the draft, we seem to be a little thin DT. Byron Murphy and Sweat and then who?  Collins, Broughton and the FR S. Mitchell. I hope we are looking to the portal for another couple 300lb ers. Last year we were able to hold the line with a strong 6 man rotation. 

Swanson, Ross, and Bryant will all be second year guys.  I bet one or two of them emerge.

Edited by Elmer_Fudd

Bledsoe, Bryant, Ross, and Swanson all came in at DL last year. If so recall, coaches called out Bledsoe as having a nice spring before a surgery cut it short. Bryant is 300+ so I’d imagine he has the inside track to breaking into the rotation; the other three haven’t bulked up to that level yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thx for tweet goes to @HtownHorn 

Has experience in the NFL, and grew up in South Oak Cliff.  

His grandfather, Herbert Jones, was a U.S. Army veteran and prominent AAU coach whose players included such Dallas high school stars as Dennis Rodman and Larry Johnson. His grandfather specifically coached and encouraged his development as a football, track, and basketball player beginning when Smith was a young child.

Smith graduated from South Oak Cliff High School in 2008. He was an All-Midlands Region defensive lineman by PrepStar Magazine.

Screenshot_20230701-213507_kindlephoto-1011838.thumb.png.fe1be4d3b496fd295981e3c6424b12de.png

Article from 2005:

"Jacquies Smith's Wild Ride to Become the NFL's Best Player You've Never Heard of " 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2576903-jacquies-smiths-wild-ride-to-become-the-nfls-best-player-youve-never-heard-of

• Hook 'Em 1

Screenshot_20230708-090028_kindlephoto-2126848.png.dbff4a9f267245401f5e44437de14497.png

Inside Texas takes a look at freshman EDGE Tausili Akana.

Tausili Akana season outlook

Akana, the younger brother of Texas volleyball national champion Keonilei Akana, chose the Longhorns in a bit of a surprise (according to the RPM) over Oklahoma. That decision led to one of the strongest tweets of the 2023 cycle.

Though ranked as a linebacker and despite playing off-the-ball during the 2023 All-American Bowl in San Antonio, Akana will have a unique role for him at Texas. When recruiting Akana, Pete Kwiatkowski and Texas labeled his future position as a DPR, or designated pass rusher. That likely means Akana will be a specialty player asked to get after the quarterback on passing downs when his opportunity for playing time arrives.

“Coming off the edge, sealing the edge, and just going to get the quarterback is one thing I love,” Akana said in January. “Playing into space is another thing I like to do. A lot of O-linemen look at me and they’re like, ’oh, who is this guy? He’s kind of skinny for a D-lineman.’ But once I get out there, I tear things up.”

Akana mentioned that Steve Sarkisian was the only head coach who made the trip to Hawaii to visit his family. Plus, as Jake Langi mentioned, Kwiatkowski and Jeff Choate have strong reputations in Hawaii and among the Polynesian community on the islands and on the West Coast.

Akana had a successful career playing for Lehi (Utah) Skyridge, winning a state championship during his senior year. He’ll need to add plenty of bulk to his light frame, but Akana has a role carved out for him whenever he’s ready for extended action.

Tausili Akana as a recruit

Akana was ranked as the No. 131 overall prospect, the No. 12 linebacker, and the No. 2 prospect in Utah according to the On3 Industry Ranking, a proprietary algorithm that compiles ratings and rankings from all four primary recruiting media services. On3 ranked Akana as the No. 33 linebacker and the No. 3 player in Utah.

Screenshot_20230708-090126_kindlephoto-2184229.png.86e2a74d63c9a1811cf5fde289877ca8.png

• Hook 'Em 1

Article yesterday...

Screenshot_20230712-074557_kindlephoto-605538.png.b4b1ab5220580d6d2694c3be8abacf9b.png

Today is 53 days until kickoff. No. 53 for the Longhorns this season will be worn by Aaron Bryant, a redshirt freshman defensive lineman.

Aaron Bryant season outlook

Texas hasn’t recruited Mississippi often in recent memory, but Bo Davis (and Blake Gideon) dipped into the Magnolia State in 2022 for Bryant and defeated several local programs for his services. Bryant saw some action in his debut season but redshirted as he looked to bulk up and contend for playing time in Year 2.

Even with his current 6-foot-2, 300-pound listing, Bryant has his work cut out for him as far as earning snaps goes. T’Vondre Sweat, Byron Murphy, Alfred Collins, and Trill Carter are likely ahead of Bryant when it comes to a spot in the defensive tackle rotation. Plus, Vernon Broughton, Jaray Bledsoe, Zac Swanson, and Sydir Mitchell are trying to occupy the tier just below that top four.

The third tier last year belonged to Broughton and Collins. Broughton logged 242 defensive line snaps across 12 games, while Collins had 258 in 12 contests. In comparison, Keondre Coburn had 411 D-line snaps and Moro Ojomo logged 375.

If Bryant wants to be part of the third grouping and approach 20 plays per contest, a strong pre-season camp outworking other capable defensive linemen is a necessity.

Bryant played in two games as a true freshman in 2022, seeing the field against Louisiana-Monroe and UTSA. He was an early enrollee and was a member of the Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll (spring 2022).

Aaron Bryant as a recruit

Bryant was ranked as the No. 305 overall prospect, the No. 37 defensive lineman, and the No. 9 player in Mississippi according to the On3 Industry Ranking, a proprietary algorithm that compiles ratings and rankings from all four primary recruiting media services.

On3 ranked Bryant as the No. 293 overall player, the No. 32 defensive lineman, and the No. 8 player in Mississippi.

Screenshot_20230712-074654_kindlephoto-660703.png.fe1ca6cbbb709c441ef709f334b43fda.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Screenshot_20230802-121901_kindlephoto-17826267.png.9e1d67e1619abe58f61dd0050e1cd50d.png

Today is 31 days until kickoff. No. 31 for the Longhorns this season will be worn by Billy Walton III, a freshman EDGE.

Billy Walton season outlook

Walton, a 6-foot-3, 215-pound EDGE from Dallas (Texas) South Oak Cliff, arrives at Texas as a two-time state champion with the Golden Bears. As a senior, he had 102 total tackles, 33 tackles for loss, and 18 sacks. He added two interceptions, including one returned for a touchdown.

Walton played a number of positions for SOC, but his future at Texas is on the EDGE. His frame has plenty of room for growth, growth that will take place during the course of his first few months on campus under the direction of strength and conditioning coach Torre Becton.

How long that physical development curve is remains to be seen, but the typical timeline likely places Walton at Buck, or weakside EDGE, during his first year on campus. He could find time on special teams, as Jeff Banks tends to place EDGE players or tight ends behind the front line on his kickoff return unit. If not, his 2023 is likely to be spent utilizing the four-game redshirt rule.

Billy Walton as a recruit

Walton was ranked as the No. 487 overall prospect, the No. 42 EDGE, and the No. 80 prospect in Texas according to the On3 Industry Ranking, a proprietary algorithm that compiles ratings and rankings from all four primary recruiting media services. He committed to Texas on June 28 after previously being committed to Oklahoma State.

• Hook 'Em 1

Screenshot_20230805-090347_kindlephoto-3545910.png.a435695a0231df6fc43b3970dd1d1721.png

Many of the accolades for “top this” or “best that” on the Texas football defense arguably belong to junior defensive tackle Byron Murphy. He might be the most disruptive player not just in the Longhorn defensive front, but on Pete Kwiatkowski‘s entire side of the ball.

Murphy also believes there are a few more titles that belong to him.

Strongest?

“I think it’s me,” Murphy said Thursday.

Most hyped? That one is not of much of much importance for No. 90.

“I’m ready, but right now I’m not really worried about the hype,” Murphy said. “I’m focused on winning and helping my team win. That’s really all that matters to me.”

Someone who has stepped up as a leader?

“Me, of course,” Murphy said. “I’m trying to be more vocal. Last year, I wasn’t. But this year, I’m trying to be more vocal. I’ve got a bigger role obviously this year.”

Murphy will be of immense importance to the Longhorns in 2023. Without Moro Ojomo or Keondre Coburn on the squad, Murphy will be asked to be one of the top players for Texas on a week-to-week basis and create havoc for opposing offenses.

A junior from DeSoto who arrived at Texas with an associate’s degree, Murphy brings a mature, focused demeanor to the roster as his words illustrate. That said, he also knows when to lighten things up.

Murphy received nine snaps last season as a goal-line fullback, a spot he had familiarity with during his time growing up in the game.

“I played running back since I was five all the way to ninth grade,” Murphy said. “That’s when I stopped playing running back.”

Why did that happen?

“I ate myself out of it,” Murphy said of the position where his heart is at.

He’ll be able to assist the Longhorn defense on 4th-and-short, but his work at defensive tackle will be what Bo Davis needs most from him on fall Saturdays.

Last season, Pro Football Focus’ season-long defensive grade for Murphy was 82.8, good for second on the team behind Ojomo. He had a grade of 83.9 in run defense and a 75.4 mark in pass-rush across 393 total defensive snaps.

Last season, Murphy recorded 26 tackles with 3.0 for loss and a sack. That followed a debut campaign in 2021 where he had 15 tackles with 3.5 for loss and two sacks.

[Sign up NOW for the Inside Texas newsletter for Texas Longhorns daily updates and breaking news in your inbox!]

In year three under Kwiatkowski and Steve Sarkisian, Murphy believes he can elevate his game, as can his teammates, thanks to familiarity with their down-to-down responsibilities.

“I feel like we, as a team, all understand Sark’s philosophy,” Murphy said. “We get it now. We know what it takes. We know what it takes to win. The past few seasons, we’ve been through a lot of stuff. We know what it takes. We know what he wants from us. Now we’ve got to deliver it.”

All that has Murphy confident that his team is in line for a big 2023.

“I feel like it’s us that’s going to stop ourselves,” Murphy said. “It’s us. We’ve got everything we need, all the pieces on offense and on the defensive side of the ball. It’s on us.”

• Hook 'Em 1

Ethan Burke's ongoing surge has him in line to be a defensive starter for Texas

The 6-foot-7-inch, 257-pound Austin Westlake product has quickly developed from a Division I lacrosse prospect into a potential starter on the edge for Pete Kwiatkowski's Longhorn defense.

JEFF HOWE        August 12th

AUSTIN, Texas — As was the case throughout spring practice, a starting role as the Buck linebacker in Pete Kwiatkowski’s defense was among the jobs up for grabs when Texas opened fall camp on Aug. 2. And just like when the curtain fell on spring ball, Ethan Burke hasn't allowed what was supposed to be a fierce position battle to truly unfold.

Instead, Burke has seized the opportunity to put a stranglehold on the gig through the Longhorns' eight practices heading into Saturday's scrimmage. Burke has been working ahead of redshirt freshman J'Mond Tapp and true freshman Colton Vasek on the side of the line opposite of junior Barryn Sorrell, the No. 1 Jack linebacker and a 10-game starter in 2022.

Burke didn’t draw a start as a true freshman, but he saw action in 11 games as a reserve after Steve Sarkisian and Co. got him to flip to Texas from Michigan ahead of the early signing window in December 2021. A late riser on the recruiting scene due mostly to the focus he put on lacrosse (Burke had multiple Division I scholarship offers as a lacrosse prospect), a sport that unfortunately led to Burke missing part of Austin Westlake’s 2020 season after he suffered a collarbone injury in the lacrosse edition of the Under Armour All-America Game.

An intriguing football prospect due to his unique combination of functional athleticism, length and 6-foot-7-inch frame, Burke had a breakout senior season in helping Westlake to the third of its three Class 6A state championships in a row. Burke racked up 58 tackles (40 solos), 14 tackles for loss and 12 sacks in 2021 for the Chaparrals and was credited with 19 quarterback pressures, three forced fumbles, one interception, nine passes defended and one blocked punt as a key cog in one of the top prep defenses in the country (alongside Vasek) with Westlake allowing only 8.9 points per game throughout a dominant 16-0 campaign.

Tipping the scales at 225 pounds when he signed with the Longhorns, Burke has bulked up to the tune of weighing 257 pounds entering the preseason. Conventional wisdom pointed to Burke as a player who needed time before he’d be ready to play, but Sarkisian said the conditions are ripe for Burke’s second year in the program to be one where he takes off as a player.

“He's been in the program. He understands — he's been in the system. He hasn't had to change positions — there's a comfort level there,” Sarkisian said after Friday’s practice when he was asked what’s impressed him regarding Burke’s progress. “He's had a good camp.”

With Dallas Cowboys Pro Bowl defensive end Demarcus Lawrence and former Tampa Bay Buccaneers first-round pick Joe Tryon-Shoyinka among the most prolific Buck linebackers coached by Kwiatkowski, those who man the position are often lean, twitchy athletes who are top-notch pass rushers, first and foremost. Burke wouldn’t be in line to start there if he didn’t meet the prerequisites, but Sarkisian likes the total package Burke brings to the table, which makes him an unconventional fit compared to the profile of the players who typically man the position (6-foot-3-inch Ovie Oghoufo logged the lion’s share of the snaps at the Buck spot for the Longhorns last season, playing on the edge at 239 pounds).

“I think there's a few things about Ethan that stand out. One, his length is a factor. He's got tremendous length and size,” Sarkisian said. “I think that he's got a really high football IQ. And he's a blue-collar guy. There's nothing about him that is sexy. He's a grinder. He's blue-collar. He's gonna try to out-grit you, he's gonna try to out-tough you, which, as a coach, that's what we try to embody as a team.”

Tapp (No. 127 overall in the Top247 for 2022) and Justice Finkley (No. 107 overall in the same cycle) came to Texas in the same signing class as Burke with more hype accompanying them to the Forty Acres. Derrick Brown, who has since transferred to Texas State, was also a higher-rated prospect than Burke (Brown was No. 335 overall in the 247Sports Composite for 2022 while Burke ranked No. 379 overall).

Although he was the lowest-rated of the edge defenders the Longhorns took in Sarkisian’s first wire-to-wire talent acquisition cycle on the job, Burke has the inside track to be the first among the group to crack the starting lineup.

And it’ll take a lot to keep him from being the one to do it given the tenacious manner with which he’s attacked the competition since Texas returned to campus for winter workouts in January.

“He's taken this opportunity and [he's] working with it,” Sarkisian said.

• Hook 'Em 1

Earlier this week on Inside Texas

Defensive Personnel

Jaray Bledsoe is essentially the third string 3-tech. Last year Vernon Broughton had over 200 snaps in that role. This year Broughton moves up to second string. You can expect Bledsoe to see a good amount of snaps this year. He’s still an interior lineman but has lined up at 5-tech when in a three-man front similar to Alfred Collins. The staff likes Bledsoe inside because he can just pin his ears back and play.

J’Mond Tapp appears set to be the third-team Jack. He’s getting better, which for him means more consistent. He’s getting to the quarterback some and is more versed at staying home rather than drifting out of position against the run. 

True freshman Billy Walton is still learning the ropes but he’s been pretty productive. We’ve said this numerous times but he was much higher up the Big Board than people realized. He wasn’t viewed as Malik Muhammad’s cousin. So far he’s justifying their pursuit.

• 2 weeks later...