Texas D-Line Talk

Reese Bennett

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure why Bo Davis isn't able to get more out of the older guys in this group.

247 post on Orange White Game

"The DL isn’t very good. That’s become painfully clear over the years. Murphy does his job like a beast, but Collins is so hit or miss you barely notice him. Sweat makes some plays, but Coburn was so quiet tonight, I thought he didn’t even play. Ojomo didn’t make a play all night that I saw, but I did notice he let up once when rushing the QB and acted like it would have been a sack, when I actually felt like Card had broken contain and escaped. For a group that gets talked about so much for how “deep and talented” they are, they consistently don’t do crap, if we’re being honest."

8 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Not sure why Bo Davis isn't able to get more out of the older guys in this group.

"The DL isn’t very good. That’s become painfully clear over the years. Murphy does his job like a beast, but Collins is so hit or miss you barely notice him. Sweat makes some plays, but Coburn was so quiet tonight, I thought he didn’t even play. Ojomo didn’t make a play all night that I saw, but I did notice he let up once when rushing the QB and acted like it would have been a sack, when I actually felt like Card had broken contain and escaped. For a group that gets talked about so much for how “deep and talented” they are, they consistently don’t do crap, if we’re being honest."

Collins is really disappointing. Love to know what is going on there 

3 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Oscar Giles had this group playing better than Bo Davis.  That’s my drunk take on the DL… 

I wonder if some of that was having a legit disrupter in Ossai on the line. There is nobody on the current line to draw the offenses attention. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I wonder if some of that was having a legit disrupter in Ossai on the line. There is nobody on the current line to draw the offenses attention. 

Poona Ford, Omenihu, Ossai, Taquan Graham, Malcolm Roach all were much more productive players and most of them played in 3 man fronts.  Coburn was better his sophomore year and Sweat was better too.  These guys are all pretty ineffective now.  Maybe they just suck now… who knows.  Davis has coached at some good programs and his first stint here wasn’t this bad.  Hard to figure out why these guys are so bad.  If their play is so dependent on having a great edge guy, then change your damn schemes to fit your talent.  Nothing makes sense to me about this defense.

40 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Poona Ford, Omenihu, Ossai, Taquan Graham, Malcolm Roach all were much more productive players and most of them played in 3 man fronts.  Coburn was better his sophomore year and Sweat was better too.  These guys are all pretty ineffective now.  Maybe they just suck now… who knows.  Davis has coached at some good programs and his first stint here wasn’t this bad.  Hard to figure out why these guys are so bad.  If their play is so dependent on having a great edge guy, then change your damn schemes to fit your talent.  Nothing makes sense to me about this defense.

I definitely share your frustration with the upperclassmen on this D-line -- there is just no reason for this group to suck as badly as they did last year.

If Mathis does come to Texas and lives up to the hype, he will draw more blocking attention, and help free up other D-linemen to have more success.  

12 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Is this take from someone reputable/insider or some random user hookemhorns69?

Not saying they don’t need guys to step up but dudes like Collins and Coburn both flashed multiple times last night and looked more comfortable to me. Collins in particular had several nice moves to stuff a few runs. Oftentimes a quiet performance from an interior lineman isn’t always a bad thing. You can still make an impact without all the sacks or TFL’s.

Edited by Hookem2147

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

Oscar Giles had this group playing better than Bo Davis.  That’s my drunk take on the DL… 

I was surprised a while back when I saw a stat that the 2021 defense averaged right about the same number of sacks per game (1.67 vs 1.7) as the 2020 defense with Ossai. Pass rush, especially on the interior, has been a problem for a long time.

13 hours ago, victory88 said:

that’s not a drunk take. strangely, Giles is a punchline around here (because 98% of you are fucking idiots) but he is an elite coach. most underrated and under appreciated coach at texas in the last 20 years. his defensive lines played well. 

11 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Not saying they don’t need guys to step up but dudes like Collins and Coburn both flashed multiple times last night and looked more comfortable to me. Collins in particular had several nice moves to stuff a few runs. Oftentimes a quiet performance from an interior lineman isn’t always a bad thing. You can still make an impact without all the sacks or TFL’s.

Coburn blew up the only screen pass before it started and I bet 99% of the general audience wouldn't even know we attempted a screen.  Solid DT play can often go unnoticed. 

The 1st team OL was generally getting major push in the run game though.

14 hours ago, victory88 said:

It's not about 3 man vs 4 man front, it's about one-gapping versus two-gapping. Orlando often called plays, especially run blitzes, where interior DL had one gap, which means they could fire off and be disruptive. Ash basically always had his DL responsible for one gap, which is a big part of why our DL production increased so much. Even when PK runs the 2-4, which is basically a 4 man front, he's having his DL play two gaps, which is why we see DL standing up and not getting penetration. Most of our DL are much better suited to one-gapping, but PK isn't doing that so he's wasting some of the talent he has to work with. Not that our DL would be world beaters anyways, but he's certainly not optimizing the talent he has to work with. This decision looks even worse when you consider the ILB's we have on the roster. Focusing on freeing those guys up to make plays is an even worse decision.

13 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

I definitely share your frustration with the upperclassmen on this D-line -- there is just no reason for this group to suck as badly as they did last year.

If Mathis does come to Texas and lives up to the hype, he will draw more blocking attention, and help free up other D-linemen to have more success.  

See above. A lot of the lack of production on the DL is scheme-related, which also makes it hard to isolate how Davis is doing as a coach. Getting Mathis will help, but it won't solve the problem. Mathis also isn't the a dominant rusher that will pull the whole offensive protection towards him. He's above average but he's no Ossai.

13 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Considering how horrible our 2nd team OL is, the 1st string DL had an extremely underwhelming performance. Those guys should have been absolutely demolishing the OL and they weren't.  There were way too many plays where they were non-factors against OL way worse than just about any they'll face during the season.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

It's not about 3 man vs 4 man front, it's about one-gapping versus two-gapping. Orlando often called plays, especially run blitzes, where interior DL had one gap, which means they could fire off and be disruptive. Ash basically always had his DL responsible for one gap, which is a big part of why our DL production increased so much. Even when PK runs the 2-4, which is basically a 4 man front, he's having his DL play two gaps, which is why we see DL standing up and not getting penetration. Most of our DL are much better suited to one-gapping, but PK isn't doing that so he's wasting some of the talent he has to work with. Not that our DL would be world beaters anyways, but he's certainly not optimizing the talent he has to work with. This decision looks even worse when you consider the ILB's we have on the roster. Focusing on freeing those guys up to make plays is an even worse decision.

Do you know enough about the incoming freshmen DT’s to tell whether they can play a 2-gap system? Bledsoe, Swanson, Bryant, and Ross?  Or are we getting further behind the 8-ball with this scheme?

1 minute ago, Duane Moore said:

Do you know enough about the incoming freshmen DT’s to tell whether they can play a 2-gap system? Bledsoe, Swanson, Bryant, and Ross?  Or are we getting further behind the 8-ball with this scheme?

All the guys we took on the DL have the size and length to do it well, but guys like Ross and Bledsoe are better when allowed to disrupt more. I'm still not sure where we'll play Swanson. He likely can if he's at DE.  So the guys we took are better suited for it, but that still doesn't mean it's their best use and the other part of the equation is that we didn't bring in much at ILB, so the defense still won't be all that well suited for it barring transfers or a lot of development.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

See above. A lot of the lack of production on the DL is scheme-related, which also makes it hard to isolate how Davis is doing as a coach. Getting Mathis will help, but it won't solve the problem. Mathis also isn't the a dominant rusher that will pull the whole offensive protection towards him. He's above average but he's no Ossai.

Considering how horrible our 2nd team OL is, the 1st string DL had an extremely underwhelming performance. Those guys should have been absolutely demolishing the OL and they weren't.  There were way too many plays where they were non-factors against OL way worse than just about any they'll face during the season.

Sounds like a weak system, or boring at least. It must work somewhere. Any example of a college team that does it well?

E

12 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

Sounds like a weak system, or boring at least. It must work somewhere. Any example of a college team that does it well?

Everyone in the Parcells, Belicheck, and Saban system. Aranda will use some. Majority of 3 DL teams will use some 2 gap schemes. Great Baltimore defenses also. Nothing wrong with the scheme when it is run properly

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

All the guys we took on the DL have the size and length to do it well, but guys like Ross and Bledsoe are better when allowed to disrupt more. I'm still not sure where we'll play Swanson. He likely can if he's at DE.  So the guys we took are better suited for it, but that still doesn't mean it's their best use and the other part of the equation is that we didn't bring in much at ILB, so the defense still won't be all that well suited for it barring transfers or a lot of development.

Well maybe they can thrive after we can PK halfway through the season and Patterson starts using them properly. 

23 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

PK's system does not create a lot of negative plays. His defenses averaged about 5 TFL per game the last 4 years including last year.  The national median is around 6 most years. In 2020, we averaged 7.4  His teams are similarly below average in sacks.  A lot of this has to do with him coaching his DL to read and react (2 gap) instead of being responsible for a single gap and attacking it like Ash did when we averaged 7.4 in 20. 

PK focuses more on limiting big plays and sound execution, which means his DL don't usually put up big numbers and we've seen in the past that makes it hard to recruit elite DL talent. Even Vita Vea, who is an absolute freak and an elite DL, didn't put up huge numbers. PK tends to get most of his sacks and TFLs from his two OLBs, which we didn't have last year.  He puts a lot of reliance on the back 7 to hold up in coverage, read running lanes, and make tackles. Our defense had a horrible back 7 last year, which is part of why our defense was so bad under PK.  It was disappointing that PK didn't make any adjustments or recognize our defensive weaknesses and change his scheme to fit what our personnel do better. 

If you want an example of that style of defense working, you can look at PK's Washington's defenses the past 10 years when he was almost always in the top 25 in Adjusted defense.  The real question is whether his system only worked when you had an ace DB coach like Jimmy Lake, or maybe he lacks flexibility/adjustment and can only run his D at a high level when he has all the right pieces, which he didn't have last year and still won't have this year, though it's better. The other option is that he could get away with it because the PAC 12 generally sucked ass, so him playing off and limiting big plays was enough to stop their offenses.  It's hard to say for sure, but he absolutely has to improve the D this year by a good bit or he should probably be let go. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

E

Everyone in the Parcells, Belicheck, and Saban system. Aranda will use some. Majority of 3 DL teams will use some 2 gap schemes. Great Baltimore defenses also. Nothing wrong with the scheme when it is run properly

Ehhh, those are not really similar.  Both Saban and Aranda are way more aggressive in how they deploy their players and attack. Bama and Baylor were in the top 7 teams in the country in TFL per game. We were 71st and that was PK's highest TFL per game in the last 4 years. So I certainly wouldn't point to either of those teams as examples of when a defense similar to PK's worked.

Saban used to be strictly 3 man fronts and 2 gapping, but he's changed to where he's more functionally running 4 man fronts and allowing his DL to disrupt a lot more. Aranda technically runs a 3 man front, but he always has an edge on the LOS so it's functionally more of a 4 man front. He does have the 3 down linemen and especially his NT do a lot of 2 gapping.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2

46 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Ehhh, those are not really similar.  Both Saban and Aranda are way more aggressive in how they deploy their players and attack. Bama and Baylor were in the top 7 teams in the country in TFL per game. We were 71st and that was PK's highest TFL per game in the last 4 years. So I certainly wouldn't point to either of those teams as examples of when a defense similar to PK's worked.

Saban used to be strictly 3 man fronts and 2 gapping, but he's changed to where he's more functionally running 4 man fronts and allowing his DL to disrupt a lot more. Aranda technically runs a 3 man front, but he always has an edge on the LOS so it's functionally more of a 4 man front. He does have the 3 down linemen and especially his NT do a lot of 2 gapping.

that is bit arbitrary, I am guessing because year 5 was 37 and year 6 was 26.  (Defense was nasty during the Buud baker/Vita Vea years)

Here is TFLs from BSU- Washington

2010 2
2011 43
2012 59
2013 29
2014 22
2015 27
2016 26
2017 37
2018 100
2019 78
2020 124

2018-2020 he was Co_DC. 2010-2017 he was the DC . 

Like I said everyone in the Parcells, Bellicheck, and Saban system will use 2 gap schemes. Aranda will use some. Frequently asking 1-2 DL to gap. So we are in agreement here. Most 3 DL DC s will bounce between straight 3-4 play and "blitzing" into 4-3 looks. (Blitzing in quotes, because I dont consider bringing 1 4 a blitz)

There nothing wrong with the system. Surprised at how vanilla PK was last year. IF you are going to 2 gap a lot, you need to "blitz" more frequently. You need to mix things up, which will get you going back and forth from 2 gap to 1 gap. That was my biggest issue. It was like bizzarro Orlando. Conservative and bad is a wretched combo

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

that is bit arbitrary, I am guessing because year 5 was 37 and year 6 was 26.  (Defense was nasty during the Buud baker/Vita Vea years)

Here is TFLs from BSU- Washington

2010 2
2011 43
2012 59
2013 29
2014 22
2015 27
2016 26
2017 37
2018 100
2019 78
2020 124

2018-2020 he was Co_DC. 2010-2017 he was the DC . 

Like I said everyone in the Parcells, Bellicheck, and Saban system will use 2 gap schemes. Aranda will use some. Frequently asking 1-2 DL to gap. So we are in agreement here. Most 3 DL DC s will bounce between straight 3-4 play and "blitzing" into 4-3 looks. (Blitzing in quotes, because I dont consider bringing 1 4 a blitz)

There nothing wrong with the system. Surprised at how vanilla PK was last year. IF you are going to 2 gap a lot, you need to "blitz" more frequently. You need to mix things up, which will get you going back and forth from 2 gap to 1 gap. That was my biggest issue. It was like bizzarro Orlando. Conservative and bad is a wretched combo

My hypothesis is that PK's TFLs and pressures dropped off after he lost elite interior DL like Vita Vea. 2017 was Vea's last year, and he's never come close to those numbers since then. Before that he had Shelton and some other really good interior DL. But you make a good point that it's possible the TFLs and pressure dropped off when Lake got more involved, though that obviously wouldn't explain last year, which was more of the same. 

I think the vanilla play calling was because he didn't trust his secondary and it's hard to blame him for that, but he should've at least tried something else instead of slam his head into the wall all season.  While I certainly think his system can work, and I don't care too much what system gets us to a good defense, if performance is equal I would prefer less 2 gapping and more aggressive fronts so the DL can get numbers and in turn we are better able to recruit more elite DL.  PK always got good TFL and sack numbers for his edges at least, so I'm hoping he can do that with Mathis and we can get more momentum upgrading the edge position. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

My hypothesis is that PK's TFLs and pressures dropped off after he lost elite interior DL like Vita Vea. 2017 was Vea's last year, and he's never come close to those numbers since then. Before that he had Shelton and some other really good interior DL. But you make a good point that it's possible the TFLs and pressure dropped off when Lake got more involved, though that obviously wouldn't explain last year, which was more of the same. 

I think the vanilla play calling was because he didn't trust his secondary and it's hard to blame him for that, but he should've at least tried something else instead of slam his head into the wall all season.  While I certainly think his system can work, and I don't care too much what system gets us to a good defense, if performance is equal I would prefer less 2 gapping and more aggressive fronts so the DL can get numbers and in turn we are better able to recruit more elite DL.  PK always got good TFL and sack numbers for his edges at least, so I'm hoping he can do that with Mathis and we can get more momentum upgrading the edge position. 

Actually odd. I never looked at the drop  before between PK calling plays and  Jimmy Lake calling  plays. It is pretty solid from 2010 to 2017, when PK was calling his own. That goes back to 2010 and BSU. Not going to look into it, but pretty odd. 

I total agree on the secondary. I think PK coached scared shitless last year. He came in and looked around and said "WTF is this shit?". Usually when a DC is scared or confused, they go blitz happy. Orlando did that for 3 years at Texas. Golden at Bama loves him some 0 blitzes in tight situations. PK went base. He even went to a straight 3-4. Maybe the idea was that they needed to nail down the basics first. Just very odd. He has been multiple and creative in the past. Hopefully, he gets some comfortability with this group and gets aggressive. I oddly had this fight with the offense. Saying they did enough. 25th in pts per drive (thats good). ~100th in 3 and outs (shitty). Completely inefficient, but big plays saved the day and made it at least a C+ unit.. The defense needs to embrace that. 90th in pts per drive. 71st in TFLS, 101st in Sacks, and 93rd in turnovers gained. If the defense doesnt have the players to be efficient, they better learn how to be a big play unit. 

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

If you want an example of that style of defense working, you can look at PK's Washington's defenses the past 10 years when he was almost always in the top 25 in Adjusted defense.  The real question is whether his system only worked when you had an ace DB coach like Jimmy Lake, or maybe he lacks flexibility/adjustment and can only run his D at a high level when he has all the right pieces, which he didn't have last year and still won't have this year, though it's better. The other option is that he could get away with it because the PAC 12 generally sucked ass, so him playing off and limiting big plays was enough to stop their offenses.  It's hard to say for sure, but he absolutely has to improve the D this year by a good bit or he should probably be let go. 

It would be really hard to have all the 'right pieces' for 10 years at a non-blueblood. 

In their first season without PK, UW had their worst year since before Sark took over. 

19 minutes ago, Eggo said:

It would be really hard to have all the 'right pieces' for 10 years at a non-blueblood. 

In their first season without PK, UW had their worst year since before Sark took over. 

Agree. He got it done at BSU. I don’t think he is moron. The only thing I can really come up with is the staff just didn’t work well together. Kind of like the abortion of Mack expecting Manny and Akina to play nice. I can’t think of anything else to explain the disaster of last year 

Edited by Codaxx

I think @Burt Macklin is correct. I know Nahlin gets a lot of well deserved shit sometimes too but I heard him say basically the same thing. Collins is made for a one gap scheme, it allows him to be aggressive and make plays in the backfield. When you use him to take up blockers to try to keep linebackers clean, you are losing his strength. This type of defense is not well suited for his skill set. I was hoping we’d learn from last year and adjust to players strengths but it appears we’ll continue to try to make square pegs fit in round holes again.

7 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

image.gif.a9a2b5783b2502757b2b6653f8a385e3.gif

Spot. On. 

19 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Collins is the definition of a protypical two-gap end. He's freaking 6'5.

He has the physical tools to be a two-gap end, but he hasn’t shown the production yet. So far he’s at his best lining up at 3 tech and penetrating/disrupting. I agree he has the potential to be a Calaias Campbell type, but we haven’t seen it yet.