Texas WR/TE Passing Offense Talk

LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Lhorn said:

Is that a good thing?

Jaguars WR Coach Chris Jackson Responds to Texas Longhorns Rumors

The wide receiver coach has helped the Jaguars' starting duo have career years, and on Monday took to Twitter to address rumors that he is next heading to college.

Maybe?

Chris Jackson officially announced as the Texas Longhorns' new receivers coach

By  FUCK CHIP BROWN       17 hrs ago

Texas coach Steve Sarkisian officially announced the hiring of Chris Jackson as the Longhorns' new passing game coordinator and receivers coach, replacing Brennan Marion, who left to become the offensive coordinator at UNLV.

“We’re fired up that Chris Jackson is a Longhorn,” Sarkisian said in a statement released by the university. “He’s such a talented coach with a ton of football and life experience that we’ll benefit from having on our staff. Chris is a passionate and attention-to-detail guy who took a unique path to coaching, but is as good as they get when it comes to developing and preparing receivers.

"He’s a very well-respected coach with great work ethic who is a student of the game, and he’s a proven leader who not only helps his players improve on the field, but also builds strong relationships with them, too."

Sarkisian touted Jackson's 10 years of experience in the NFL - five as a player and five as a coach.

Jackson’s entry into NFL coaching was as an assistant with the Chicago Bears in 2018 as part of the Bill Walsh Diversity Coaching Fellowship.

Jackson, a college teammate of Texas special teams coordinator/tight ends coach Jeff Banks at Washington State, also has a connection to Dallas-based receiver trainer Margin Hooks, according to sources.

Hooks has worked with 2022 five-star Evan Stewart (Texas A&M); 2023 five-star Johntay Cook (early enrollee at Texas), Isaiah Neyor (Texas) and five-star Micah Hudson (6-0, 186) of Lake Belton, the nation’s No. 6 overall prospect and No. 2 receiver in 2024 (according to the 247Sports Composite Ranking) and the Longhorns’ top WR target in 2024.

In 2019, the Bears hired Jackson as a defensive assistant before making Jackson the assistant receivers coach in Chicago 2020 and 2021 under receivers coach Tyke Tolbert. Before the 2022 season, Jackson was hired as receivers coach for Jaguars by first-year Jacksonville head coach Doug Pederson.

"During his time in the NFL, he’s worked with some exceptional coaches who have all quickly recognized his talent in the profession," Sarkisian said. "Not only has he coached players at the highest level the past five years in the NFL, he knows the position well having been an NFL veteran, All-Pac-10 and 1,000-yard receiver himself.

He played at Washington State with Jeff Banks, so he’s a guy we’re very familiar with and know he’ll be a tremendous addition to our staff. We’re excited to get him started.”

In his one season with the Jaguars, Jackson coached one of only three receiving units in the NFL to have two players with 80-plus receptions in 2022 in Christian Kirk (84) and Zay Jones (82). Kirk also achieved his first 1,000-yard receiving season with 1,108 to rank 14th in the league to go along with eight touchdowns, which tied for fifth in Jaguars’ history. Jones registered 823 receiving yards and five touchdowns, and Marvin Jones, Jr., added 46 receptions for 529 yards and three touchdowns.

“My major thought in this move was originally just young men,” Jackson said in a statement released by Texas. “The excitement and opportunity to coach at the college level at a school with the notoriety that Texas has is a great opportunity. Working with young men coming in from 17 to 18 years old to leaving at 22 and providing a platform for them and allowing them to grow, not only as football players but as young men, that’s what I was drawn to, as well.

"I’ve always been passionate about that, and I’ve been able to do that at NFL level, but there’s something that’s super intriguing about those young men, ones I can hopefully inspire and lead through the position I just left. Some of them will want to pursue a professional career and just need some of that guidance and leadership to get there, and I’ve seen that not only as a player, but as a coach now. That’s the work for me – young men and development.”

Sarkisian made it clear to candidates for the UT receivers coaching position that he wanted a technician who could develop talented, diverse personalities at wideout, a room at Texas that will include rising junior Xavier Worthy, rising senior Jordan Whittington, redshirt junior Isaiah Neyor, new Georgia transfer Adonai Mitchell, early enrollee freshmen Johntay Cook and DeAndre Moore Jr, freshman Ryan Niblett and rising sophomores Casey Cain, Brenen Thompson and Savion Red.

“Coach Sarkisian has always been phenomenal and a mastermind of offense,” Jackson said. “Being a wide receiver myself, I’m looking to really just lock all the way into his thought processes for why he does things and how he does things, so I can just be an extension of him. He’s had success not only at the college level, but also in the NFL, so I just want to embrace all of it and add whatever I can in regards to my experience and thought process. But to me, it was a no-brainer to come to Texas and work under the leadership of Sark and with his great staff. He’s done it at the collegiate level and the NFL level, and I know he’s turning the culture there. I just want to be a part of that.”

As receivers coach of the Chicago Bears in 2021, Jackson helped second-year receiver Darnell Mooney record his first 1,000-yard season with a team-leading 1,055 receiving yards and four touchdowns. In 2020, Jackson helped guide Allen Robinson, who led all Bears receivers for the second-straight season with 102 receptions, 1,213 yards and six touchdowns, eclipsing 100 receptions for the first time in his career. It marked the first 100-catch season by a Bears wide receiver since 2013.

Jackson worked with the Bears in 2019 as a defensive assistant under coordinator Chuck Pagano after previously assisting the Bears during training camp in 2018 through the fellowship program. Prior to his time in Chicago, he served as the wide receivers coach at Liberty High School in Peoria, Ariz.

As a player, Jackson spent time with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1998), Seattle Seahawks (1999), Tennessee Titans (2000), Green Bay Packers (2002-03) and Miami Dolphins (2003). Jackson also played several seasons in the Arena Football League where he was a standout wide receiver and the AFL Rookie of the Year in 2000 with the L.A. Avengers. He helped lead the Philadelphia Soul to an Arena Bowl XXII championship in 2008, recording 140 receptions for 1,692 yards and 49 touchdowns. Jackson totaled 325 receiving touchdowns in his AFL career, a mark that is still second all-time in league history.

“I know Texas is football,” Jackson added. “That’s what I do know, and that’s coming from a California kid. I knew people back in the day never left Texas, especially if you were one of the top players in Texas, that’s where you went. I want to play a role in helping Coach Sark and the staff continue to get back to that aspect, where Texas is the only place these Texas kids want to go. Austin is an awesome city. My oldest son went to St. Edwards for two years, so I got an opportunity to get him situated there and look around. I’m very much drawn to the city, the lake, and downtown is beautiful. I’m just excited to be a part of that and helping to continue to grow the tradition of Texas.”

Jackson played collegiately at Orange Coast College in 1995 before transferring to Washington State. In both 1996 and 1997, Jackson was a starter for the Cougars and a teammate of current Texas assistant coach Jeff Banks. In 1997, he recorded 54 catches for 1,005 yards and 11 touchdowns to earn honorable mention All-Pac 10 honors, helping the Cougars to a Pac-10 co-championship and a trip to the Rose Bowl. The 11 receiving touchdowns is still a top-10 single-season mark in Washington State history, tying for seventh. After his collegiate career, Jackson signed with the Buccaneers in 1998, and following his professional career, Jackson was a physical education teacher before going into special education and then sales and merchandising.

In 2020, Jackson was inducted into the California Community College Football Coaches Association (CCCFCA) Hall of Fame. A native of Santa Ana, Calif., Jackson attended Mater Dei High School. He and his wife, Michelle, have three children: Almani, Deyton and Justus.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/Texas-Longhorns-football-Chris-Jackson-officially-announced-as-receivers-coach-203609741/#203609741_1

On 1/25/2023 at 1:27 PM, LTtxfan said:

Chris Jackson officially announced as the Texas Longhorns' new receivers coach

By  FUCK CHIP BROWN       17 hrs ago

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/Texas-Longhorns-football-Chris-Jackson-officially-announced-as-receivers-coach-203609741/#203609741_1

I thought Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, that former point guard from LSU/Denver-Nuggets had become born-again and changed his name BACK to Chris Jackson and was coming to Texas to be the Texas WR corch.

Who knows? Maybe he was a 2-sport-star in Gulfport, MS, and had just decided to play basketball, and after retiring went back into football corching or something.  Lulz.

I've been a bit busy... Totally missed Marion to UNLV.  I hope Sark doesn't abandon the two back concepts that seemed to really work when used (not enough, imo).

I've been thinking about the Sark offense and I hope I'm wrong, but it seems like his offense can be safely defended by a traditional 425 cover 3  defense if there is a decent pass rush and the backers don't need a lot of help in the run game.

Sark's goal is to run the ball well and then set up deep PA shots. If the safety doesn't have to support the run, the 3 deep shell keeps the big play from happening, so everything is thrown underneath coverage or between coverage levels, which, if the defense can dictate, allows the defenders to know where throwing lanes are and get chances for tips and/or QBs making the wrong decision. And when the pass is completed, it's underneath where the is help to make the tackle.

To be continuously successful, the QB has to make the right decision about 75% of the time and drive the field OR rely on 50/50 deep shots converting because everything works (WR gets by defender, ball is well placed, catch is made, no holding at LoS, etc.)

I hope I'm wrong, but I feel like the offense requires consistent high level execution by high level players. It seems difficult to maintain and simple to defend the concepts, which is why our 2nd half production falls off against teams with decent LBs and a deep zone defense.

We had two NFL RBs and couldn't get our PA/RPO game off.

The (simple in my mind) fix is more flood concepts in the pass game with counter/power run play action away from the flood side, forcing the LBs into conflict, and outnumbering the defensive backfield. I suppose it could be Outside Zone away from the Flood, too... But Sark is an Inside Zone enthusiast (despite Bijan being significantly better running OZ behind our OL).

I don't know anything. Not a coach. Could be easy off, but that's how I'd defend him and that's how I'd counter my own defense.

Back to work.

F the offseason. 

Edited by Slacks
Old eyes and typos... I reserve the right to edit again.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Slacks said:

I've been a bit busy... Totally missed Marion to UNLV.  I hope Sark doesn't abandon the two back concepts that seemed to really work when used (not enough, imo).

I've been thinking about the Sark offense and I hope I'm wrong, but it seems like his offense can be safely defended by a traditional 425 cover 3  defense if there is a decent pass rush and the backers don't need a lot of help in the run game.

Sark's goal is to run the ball well and then set up deep PA shots. If the safety doesn't have to support the run, the 3 deep shell keeps the big play from happening, so everything is thrown underneath coverage or between coverage levels, which, if the defense can dictate, allows the defenders to know where throwing lanes are and get chances for tips and/or QBs making the wrong decision. And when the pass is completed, it's underneath where the is help to make the tackle.

To be continuously successful, the QB has to make the right decision about 75% of the time and drive the field OR rely on 50/50 deep shots converting because everything works (WR gets by defender, ball is well placed, catch is made, no holding at LoS, etc.)

I hope I'm wrong, but I feel like the offense requires consistent high level execution by high level players. It seems difficult to maintain and simple to defend the concepts, which is why our 2nd half production falls off against teams with decent LBs and a deep zone defense.

We had two NFL RBs and couldn't get our PA/RPO game off.

The (simple in my mind) fix is more flood concepts in the pass game with counter/power run play action away from the flood side, forcing the LBs into conflict, and outnumbering the defensive backfield. I suppose it could be Outside Zone away from the Flood, too... But Sark is an Inside Zone enthusiast (despite Bijan being significantly better running OZ behind our OL).

I don't know anything. Not a coach. Could be easy off, but that's how I'd defend him and that's how I'd counter my own defense.

Back to work.

F the offseason. 

To be fair, if their 6 (4-2 or 3-3) can control the LOS and stuff the run game, almost every offense is fucked. You would need NFL caliber QB to score a lot of points. I remember Strong employing 5 in the box and dating Kingsbury to run the ball. He didn’t and he lost 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

To be fair, if their 6 (4-2 or 3-3) can control the LOS and stuff the run game, almost every offense is fucked. You would need NFL caliber QB to score a lot of points. I remember Strong employing 5 in the box and dating Kingsbury to run the ball. He didn’t and he lost 

Bit that's just it... If the playcaller isn't willing to take or force what's there via the run, he's playing to the defense. If the defense can just refrain from getting gashed in the run with 6 defenders, while playing an umbrella, that gives them a relative advantage.

Well we’ve got a head coach in the Super Bowl that’s reluctant to continue with the run at times so even the best are prone to force things.

With regards to Sark, for my tastes anyway, it was never a reluctance to run that was frustrating, but it was the disappearance of those run game extensions - jet sweep, two back/diamond formation play action, screen game. We had a damn near perfect roster for that with lots of variability and options.

Coaching matters everywhere, but I’m not sure Dline isn’t the very most important. Codaxx’s old ass wants to take away something from the O. That’s really the only spot that can control the opponents run game. Then if they’re that good, they can have a massive impact on the pass game too. 3-3-5, 4-2-5, it’s success is contingent on the front line. Personally I prefer a 4 man front as it feels as though it’s better against the run, but it’s really about the right guys doing the right things.

Lots of resources need to go into the defensive front - coaching, recruiting, bodies because as a unit they are most likely to have an impact week to week. They’re important against run based teams, pass based teams.

21 hours ago, Slacks said:

More of what @Codaxx wrote.

If the D can control your run game and get pressure on the QB with six guys, you’re probably facing a substantially uphill task on offense, no matter what. You’re going to have to drive the field both because the D is set up not to let people behind them and because your QB doesn’t have to time to wait for them to do it anyway. 

You’re probably down to hoping for big plays from fast and/or quick guys on shorter (cross, slant, etc.) routes catching well thrown balls on the run. Sarkisian is pretty fond of saying “I’m just as fast as Worthy and Cook if we’re standing still,” so receivers on the move and meshing is something he already favors. Then, can you beat the inside leverage they’re going to put out there to stop that nonsense, too?

If the base premises are “six guys can stop the run without secondary help” and “six guys can stop the run while also getting QB pressure without secondary help” and “the secondary can play 2 or 3 deep well” how else do you move other than gradually and hope a penalty, drop, or whatever doesn’t put you too far behind the chains to manage it?

1 hour ago, Doc Daneeka said:

If the D can control your run game and get pressure on the QB with six guys, you’re probably facing a substantially uphill task on offense, no matter what. You’re going to have to drive the field both because the D is set up not to let people behind them and because your QB doesn’t have to time to wait for them to do it anyway. 

You’re probably down to hoping for big plays from fast and/or quick guys on shorter (cross, slant, etc.) routes catching well thrown balls on the run. Sarkisian is pretty fond of saying “I’m just as fast as Worthy and Cook if we’re standing still,” so receivers on the move and meshing is something he already favors. Then, can you beat the inside leverage they’re going to put out there to stop that nonsense, too?

If the base premises are “six guys can stop the run without secondary help” and “six guys can stop the run while also getting QB pressure without secondary help” and “the secondary can play 2 or 3 deep well” how else do you move other than gradually and hope a penalty, drop, or whatever doesn’t put you too far behind the chains to manage it?

Thanks. I missed what @Codaxx wrote, but our thinking is aligned. 

Of course, the offensive flip side is the same. If you can get the big bodies to protect the QB will enough and block the run well enough, you can force the defense to send and additional run stopper or QB pressurer, freeing up the skill players with more space (if the QB and receivers make the same, correct read.)

But my original point was about the specific use of 425 (or 335 with a big, fast 3rd lb) vs Sark. I think the 5 trips him up s bit because he doesn't seem to commit to hammering the run against 6 run defenders. Maybe it's because he won't also use the QB as a run threat, but it seems we just miss smashing teams into the ground, then we stagnate late.

39 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Of course, the offensive flip side is the same. If you can get the big bodies to protect the QB will enough and block the run well enough, you can force the defense to send and additional run stopper or QB pressurer, freeing up the skill players with more space (if the QB and receivers make the same, correct read.)

But my original point was about the specific use of 425 (or 335 with a big, fast 3rd lb) vs Sark. I think the 5 trips him up s bit because he doesn't seem to commit to hammering the run against 6 run defenders. Maybe it's because he won't also use the QB as a run threat, but it seems we just miss smashing teams into the ground, then we stagnate late.

My biggest concern with Sarkisian on offense is that he seems actively to dislike using the QB on the ground. He was there in person when VY dismantled his team in the Rose Bowl, with a great deal of that on the ground. IMO, and I also am not a coach, that cedes too much security to the defense. 

My next concern would be similar to yours: for a guy who explicitly wants to use the run and the RPO to open the D for deep shots, he seems less committed to the run, at times, than that philosophy would indicate. 

My general impression of most play callers is that they appear to get too enamored of how clever they are. If you can beat someone’s brains in running the ball, run the ball until they adjust to stop it. Sure, take play action shots on some “obvious” running downs, but keep mashing them. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

My biggest concern with Sarkisian on offense is that he seems actively to dislike using the QB on the ground. He was there in person when VY dismantled his team in the Rose Bowl, with a great deal of that on the ground. IMO, and I also am not a coach, that cedes too much security to the defense. 

My next concern would be similar to yours: for a guy who explicitly wants to use the run and the RPO to open the D for deep shots, he seems less committed to the run, at times, than that philosophy would indicate. 

My general impression of most play callers is that they appear to get too enamored of how clever they are. If you can beat someone’s brains in running the ball, run the ball until they adjust to stop it. Sure, take play action shots on some “obvious” running downs, but keep mashing them. 

It's almost always Ex-Qb's that playcall like that. Quarterbacks in general seem to look at running the ball as a necessity to stay somewhat balanced rather than an offensive philosophy. 

Ex-defensive guys and Ex-OLinemen seem to call a game more to my liking more often than not. 

You can adjust to getting lit up through the air (just keep throwing DB's out there) but when you're just bludgeoning a team on the ground for 5 yards per carry It's demoralizing and very complementary to your defense by limiting possessions and giving long breaks. 

Edited by RoyalBevo21
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, RoyalBevo21 said:

It's almost always Ex-Qb's that playcall like that. Quarterbacks in general seem to look at running the ball as a necessity to stay somewhat balanced rather than an offensive philosophy. 

Ex-defensive guys and Ex-OLinemen seem to call a game more to my liking more often than not. 

You can adjust to getting lit up through the air (just keep throwing DB's out there) but when you're just bludgeoning a team on the ground for 5 yards per carry It's just demoralizing and very complementary to your defense by limiting possessions and giving long breaks. 

Seriously. 

One of the most awful feelings in the game, or just watching the game, is the opponent running the ball at you with no answer. Which, on the bright side, is part of what’s so encouraging about Flood and his gigantic guys as they develop. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I would say “AND get pressure bringing 4 and dropping 7”, I believe that is what you meant. Getting pressure with 4 is probably the single biggest disaster to an offense. I have yet to see even the best QBs thrive in that situation 

Edited by Codaxx

53 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I would say “AND get pressure bringing 4 and dropping 7”, I believe that is what you meant. Getting pressure with 4 is probably the single biggest disaster to an offense. I have yet to see even the best QBs thrive in that situation 

Well, I mean utilizing the front six, but not necessarily all at once. So, yeah, bringing four but not necessarily the four “linemen.” That would, indeed, be a whip regardless of the offensive scheme. 

Scheme may make it harder to whip your ass, but if you’re getting your ass whipped, scheme is unlikely to save you. 

21 hours ago, Slacks said:

Oddly the "fly over" defense has been pretty stout vs the run (ISU's 3 DL/3Safety look). You have safeties coming down pretty fast and it is not easy for OL to pick them up. They are not used to that. If you remember Tom Herman used to pound his head into a wall vs ISU for 3Qs  every year, only to go 5 wide in 4Q  and find success vs the look. ISU has finished no worse than 4th vs the run in the Big 12 that last 5 years and 1st 3 times. Sark found success this year vs ISU and KSU using big sets and unbalanced lines to open up the run game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I agree with this here. You don't even need a tremendous athlete to do it. Just get critical first downs via QB run whether called or not. The past two years it seemed like our guys were coached to not run at any cost. Extending drives with QB legs seems to have become and integral part of the NFL game now days.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Like 1

Quinn needs to run more. When we ran what looked like a read option, it literally meant "he's handing off to the RB" and maybe throwing it. QE may have kept that ball 4 times all year. (what it seems like). I don't think you can win consistently in college football anymore without utilizing your QB as another run option. They don't all have to be VY or Mike Vick, but at least be willing to use him. Was it Sark saying "PLEASE DON'T RUN AND GET KILLED" or was Quinn gun shy? 

As far as 2023: We need to throw the shit outta the ball. hahahahaha. #AustinAirRaid 

On 2/8/2023 at 1:22 PM, Dignan said:

Quinn needs to run more. When we ran what looked like a read option, it literally meant "he's handing off to the RB" and maybe throwing it. QE may have kept that ball 4 times all year. (what it seems like). I don't think you can win consistently in college football anymore without utilizing your QB as another run option. They don't all have to be VY or Mike Vick, but at least be willing to use him. Was it Sark saying "PLEASE DON'T RUN AND GET KILLED" or was Quinn gun shy? 

As far as 2023: We need to throw the shit outta the ball. hahahahaha. #AustinAirRaid 

That's not just college football, that's the NFL. Just watch the teams in the playoffs and that is all you need to see. 

image.png.21d2a56235cb8019760a73b4a4b78aa9.png

We all know Lamar is a runner and is the reason the Ravens were in a position before injury. 

Extending plays and drives via the feet is the NFL now as well.

35 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That's not just college football, that's the NFL. Just watch the teams in the playoffs and that is all you need to see. 

image.png.21d2a56235cb8019760a73b4a4b78aa9.png

We all know Lamar is a runner and is the reason the Ravens were in a position before injury.

Extending plays and drives via the feet is the NFL now as well.

What?? https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/nfl-qb-rush-yards-leaders-2022

Your can run seems to indicate they have a pulse and are capable of running (Kirk Cousins??), except for Jones who it one of the best running QBs in the NFL. Scrambling to buy time and running read option are entirely 2 different things. The vast majority of the NFL barely use their QBs in the running game.

1 minute ago, Codaxx said:

What?? https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/nfl-qb-rush-yards-leaders-2022

Your can run seems to indicate they have a pulse and are capable of running (Kirk Cousins??), except for Jones who it one of the best running QBs in the NFL. Scrambling to buy time and running read option are entirely 2 different things. The vast majority of the NFL barely use their QBs in the running game.

We’re talking about extending plays. Not designed runs. Where as watching our QBs the last two years under Sark seem like they’re coached not to run. It a QB can run the ball on 3rd and 5 to get a first down then do it. Don’t coach them not to. 

As stated just about every QB in the playoffs except Brady does that or has the ability to. Burrow is probably the best at doing so. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Texas WR AD Mitchell is viewed as "uncoverable" this offseason

Joey Hickey        June 2, 2023 

Texas wide receiver Adonai Mitchell is “uncoverable.” That is, if those close to the team are to be believed.

Inside Texas analyst Paul Wadlington ("Scipio Tex") is hearing that the Georgia transfer can’t be matched in coverage, and it’s frustrating Texas defensive backs in practice. His source said the following on his Everyone Gets a Trophy podcast regarding who would be the biggest surprise on the roster.

“AD Mitchell is uncoverable … You can’t figure out his stride. He can twist his body in any motion. Even if you’re on him, the quarterback should just throw the ball and he’ll contort his body and grab the ball out of the air and just keep running.”

The above description sounds like some combination of former Texas receivers Collin Johnson and Lil’Jordan Humphrey’s best traits. It fits what we’ve already seen over the spring, but it’s eye-popping to see it put into words.

Mitchell is the type of player a young Quinn Ewers needs as he navigates the challenges of the quarterback position. Ewers can simply throw the ball in the same area code as his receiver with high velocity and expect the receiver to snag the football.

If there’s any lesser proven player whose hype is legitimate, Mitchell is that player. Expect a big year for the Longhorns’ top transfer pickup.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cross-post...     (Thanks for this @OB3 )

From Inside Texas:

Two players we’re frequently asked about, and with good reason, are wide receiver Isaiah Neyor and safety Jalen Catalon. Each are transfers who have yet to play a down despite Neyor being on campus for over a year now. Other things in common, they’re NFL talents coming off injuries. But, the best thing they have in common now is, barring a setback, they’ll be full-go come August camp. 

Speaking of precautions, Neyor is still in a knee brace but he’s fully integrated into offseason workouts, meaning he’s running and cutting like everyone else. From a movement standpoint he looks perfectly fine. We won’t know more than that until the pads come on but he seems mentally strong and ready to return to the field. A source mentioned he really attacked his rehab and he takes his body and treatment seriously.

• Hook 'Em 1

Longhorns Land In Top Three Of Lastest College Football Receiver Rankings

Story by Cole Thompson • Yesterday 3:51 PM

AA1cviaY.img?w=612&h=408&m=6

Just how good could Texas' receiving room be in 2023? Try Ohio State level. 

In the latest rankings from CBS Sports, the Longhorns ranked second among pass-catchers — including tight ends — trailing only the self-proclaimed "WRU" Buckeyes. Ohio State has the argument for the top spot with returning talent like All-American and future first-round pick Marvin Harrison Jr., along with Emeka Egbuka. 

Texas has the duo of Xavier Worthy and Ja'Tavion Sanders back in the saddle after productive sophomore seasons. That's only a third of the production found on the Forty Acres. The Longhorns also feature two unknowns and a consistent target in the slot. 

For now, the Buckeyes own the top spot. By midseason, Texas could be tied on the leaderboards in more than one category. 

If Texas can stay healthy, it has the potential to push for the top overall unit this season. Xavier Worthy was primed for big things in 2022 but injury problems kept him from reaching his full potential. The Longhorns also lost exciting Wyoming transfer Isaiah Neyor to a torn ACL before the season even began. Those two are back, and Neyor may not even need to start. Fifth-year senior and second-leading receiver Jordan Whittington spurned the NFL Draft, and Texas added five-star transfer Adonai Mitchell through the portal. The former Georgia Bulldog has shown a knack for stepping up in big moments. Freshman Johntay Cook, the No. 7 WR in the 2023 class, will likely see the field a good bit, too. Ja'Tavion Sanders is one of the most athletic tight ends in the nation and is coming off a breakout year with 613 receiving yards and five touchdowns. - CBS Sports

Much remains a mystery with Neyor as his impact was only felt during spring practice alongside the arrival of Quinn Ewers. During his two seasons with the Cowboys, however, few could combat the size, speed and physical contested catch rate the 6-3 Fort Worth native possessed. 

Neyor finished his sophomore season in Laramie with 44 catches for 878 yards and 12 TDs while garnering All-Mountain West honors. His long striding play style should pair well with Worthy, who hopes to prove he's capable of being the next great target in Austin. 

Mitchell's arrival this offseason could benefit Texas in the red zone. Last season, the 6-4, 190-pound receiver only registered nine catches for Georgia in four games. Injuries sent him to the sidelines from Week 2 until the start of the College Football Playoff, but two of his three scores came from within the 20-yard line. 

Sanders has the potential to be Ewers' security blanket on early downs. Last season as the No. 2 option in the passing games, Sanders caught 50 percent of his balls on first down and averaged over 13 yards per catch. Sixty percent of his scores (3 TDs) also came on first downs and inside the red zone. 

With questions surrounding the run game following Bijan Robinson and Roschon Johnson's departures, attention turns toward passing downs. Sanders, Whittington and Worthy are proven commodities. Neyor and Cook are wild cards with upsides. Mitchell's health is the only factor in his lack of production. 

The six-man set might not make up Spider-Man's "Sinister Six" foes, but they could snag anything from the air that makes takes one of the more dangerous passing units in the country by midseason. 

image.png

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Texas website lists Neyor as a practice squad player. Probably a mistake

image.png.5d179b23c6165d25182f57ef0a93ad1c.png

Josh Pate likes Texas WR room... mentions Neyor as a possible 2023 breakout player of the year... 

WR comments start around 3:25 mark

Edited by LTtxfan
typo