Deion Sanders "Coach Prime" Now At Colorado

Don Johnson

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Im in the camp that Deion did Jackson St dirty. They gave him a head coaching job when zero larger schools would have given him anything other than a position coach role. He definitely exceeded expectations and then ran out ASAP.

he has a right to take any job offered to him. I’m not saying he’s doing something illegal or wrong. However just because you can do something doesn’t mean that others are not allowed think less of you because of it.

maybe he will repeat that same success at CU but my bet is that Jackson St and CU will ultimately regret hiring Deion. 

image.png.7dc0f5a7bd8615d9122919b175d76f0a.png

They'll regret losing him.

I see nothing that would cause Jackson St. to regret hiring him. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Im in the camp that Deion did Jackson St dirty. They gave him a head coaching job when zero larger schools would have given him anything other than a position coach role. He definitely exceeded expectations and then ran out ASAP.

he has a right to take any job offered to him. I’m not saying he’s doing something illegal or wrong. However just because you can do something doesn’t mean that others are not allowed think less of you because of it.

maybe he will repeat that same success at CU but my bet is that Jackson St and CU will ultimately regret hiring Deion. 

Wait, so you believe he has to stay at Jackson State forever where he can’t win anything other than SWAC championships?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I loved the whole idea of Deion as this big SWAC guy. CU is an interesting choice. I did not see that coming. Kind of glad it was them though and not some Big football school demanding he fit in with their traditions and so forth. CU has been dead ever since that 2005 Big 12 title game.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I loved the whole idea of Deion as this big SWAC guy. CU is an interesting choice. I did not see that coming. Kind of glad it was them though and not some Big football school demanding he fit in with their traditions and so forth. CU has been dead ever since that 2005 Big 12 title game.

I could see Colorado being a player in the post USC PAC. Maybe they can get in the title race consistently if he starts bringing in a shit ton of ballers.

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Wait, so you believe he has to stay at Jackson State forever where he can’t win anything other than SWAC championships?

Yes that is 100% what I believe. By law he should be forced to remain as coach at Jackson state for the next 50 years.

read what I wrote, I said he is free to do whatever he wants but that doesn’t means he’s free from criticism.

29 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I could see Colorado being a player in the post USC PAC. Maybe they can get in the title race consistently if he starts bringing in a shit ton of ballers.

CU struggles financially they have a lot of concern about remaining in the AAU and even have a website dedicated to discussing that and how they stand on things (not good finance wise)

they do a lot of research for a university with no medical school and they will probably never have one with what CU-Denver has going on, but they see what has happened to NU and ISU and things have to be in a panic for them

Colorado the state has way too many universities as it is and outside of the I-25 corridor (well the mid-north part of it) they are a poor state with a lot of reliance on resource extraction that the I-25 corridor voters have shut down for them

they get a ton of students from California, but Arizona has been moving in on those students for a long time and Nevada and Utah are moving in on those students really hard now and probably a lot less from Texas than in the past

they are loathe to go after Texas students harder or to get back in the Big 12 or to be associated with that

they are seeing Alabama feast on students from all over the USA and actually be able to raise their academics with out of state tuition (even though it is relatively low for an out of state tuition) and "top" students from upper middle class areas that were locked out of their state schools, or private schools, wanted a "real college experience" or wanted to be far away from home....Ole Miss has been doing the same for a while without as much academic elevation, but still holding their own for a Mississippi university in a relatively shitty town

CU had some dignity when they left the Big 12 and they were the only ones that simply said "we want to be west coast oriented" and did not remotely blame shit on Texas (even though they wished they could, but they did not want Texas living in their head rent free forever), but now with USC and UCLA gone, UW and Oregon begging to leave, Cal being a fucking financial disaster athletically, Stanford basically thinking they will get the call, but ambivalent if they do or not and CU looking around realizing that they are such shit the Big 12 might not even want them well they are desperate.......badly desperate

they have no more cash to throw at athletics from the academic side, they have a state full of people from the west coast that do not give a shit about athletic especially CU athletics and the rest of the voters that are broke or tired of being taxed to death and probably do not give a shit about CU at all

this is probably their last chance or they might be in the MWC even if it called the PAC 12

Edited by ButtFumble
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Doogles said:

Best thing to happen to CU, but he'll be gone in 2-3 years to FSU when Norvell flames out.

All he has to do is take them from the basement to a bowl in year 1 and then follow that up with a title run in the corpse of the Pac.

Their best 2023 will be 5 wins and most likely 3-4. There is no bowl game for CU next year. 

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Their best 2023 will be 5 wins and most likely 3-4. There is no bowl game for CU next year. 

That's up to prime, but in the NIL/Portal era quick turnarounds are the new norm.  They play Nebraska and Colorado state ooc (both winnable) and miss Washington in a typically shitty conference.

They will probably finish this year with a top 15 recruiting class, plus going to portal hard.

You might be right, but a bowl game is doable.  He'll still be on track to FSU if he wins 5 then competes the year after.

• Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yes that is 100% what I believe. By law he should be forced to remain as coach at Jackson state for the next 50 years.

read what I wrote, I said he is free to do whatever he wants but that doesn’t means he’s free from criticism.

Which still doesn’t make any sense. When is he allowed to leave Jackson State before you don’t criticize him for leaving? You’ve never answered that. 

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

He pulled 5 stars to Jackson State. The dude will make it work.

I dont have any concerns on his ability to recruit it will just be curious to see if he can build a solid staff. It wont take world beaters to out talent most of the Pac 12 fairly quickly once USC and UCLA depart. Only Oregon stands in the way there. 

6 hours ago, Vertigo said:

He pulled 5 stars to Jackson State. The dude will make it work.

Aggy pulled 5 stars too. Much easier to just out talent the HBCUs than a p5 conference. Plus he's been a sort of novelty name with nothing but success being a big fish in the tiny pond. If he throws out a couple of 4 to 6 win seasons here will he still be able to recruit those 5 stars? 

This is a big risk for him. He should have waited for a place with more advantages and ability to compete in the NIL world to open up. Unless he feels like he couldn't sustain it at Jackson St and needed to move now before risking falling off in the next couple of years. 

Wonder how many "Boosters of Prime" as opposed to CU Boosters there are backing Deion with ammo for NIL.

That is a little unique to him that other coaches don't generally bring.

8 hours ago, Pancho said:

Which still doesn’t make any sense. When is he allowed to leave Jackson State before you don’t criticize him for leaving? You’ve never answered that. 

Like everyone I reserve the right to criticize anyone whenever I want. He’s leaving a job after 3 years when no one else would hire him, and he’s gong to leave Jackson state in shambles.

I can’t recall a newly hired coach telling the new team that he’s pulling 10 players from his previous school. Has he already asked and received a commitment from those Jackson state players? How you leave is important.

imagine if Sark’s dream job opened up and he announced today he was moving on and taking UTs top 10 talented players with him. Are you saying that zero UT fans have a right to criticize? You don’t really believe that, do you?

I didn't hear Deion say the luggage he was bringing was all from Jackson State.  IT's hardly going to be the first situation where some players peeled off and followed their HC to the next pasture.  I didn't take it be 10 players from JSU though.  Are there 10 Loueys at Jackson State?

29 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Like everyone I reserve the right to criticize anyone whenever I want. 

Which is why everyone is pointing out that this is a stupid take. But you're welcome to continue digging deeper into that stupidity hole. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

imagine if Sark’s dream job opened up and he announced today he was moving on and taking UTs top 10 talented players with him. Are you saying that zero UT fans have a right to criticize? You don’t really believe that, do you?

UT fans criticize the sun rising in the east. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

your take sucked. Just shut the fuck up and move on. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Pancho said:

Yeah, anybody who thought Deion Sanders was ever gonna be Eddie Robinson probably doesn't understand much about either guy.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LTbear said:

How does that idiot not even get the quote right? "Too blessed to be STRESSED." Same dude was adamant about buffs fans needing a "reality check" if they thought Prime would ever come to Colorado a few days ago. 

Very close to @NowThis's motto, "Blessed to be Stretched."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Hermanator said:

It'll either be a success or a trainwreck. I don't see any way there's middle ground here with this dude

Yep. His whole, "I'm coming" spiel only means something if they win. Of course, I also see it being thrown back in his face, when a DL comes in and sacks his son 8 times.

On the other thread I’ve gone on record as thinking Deion is a great hire for the Buffs. I am a bit confused about Deion’s motivation as he’s the type of megastar who should have money for life and he’s done everything possible as a player. 

My read was that he wanted to take on Jackson State as a challenge and to give back to the HBCU world and enjoy coaching. I guess I’m just not getting his drive to claw to the top of the FBS mountain.  I don’t know a single really successful coach at that level who seems like he’s enjoying himself.  There’s no Bowden or Spurriers out there in the game these days. 

Take that back, Ed O always seemed to enjoy himself and that’s why he’s not a head football coach anymore. 

• Like 2