Deion Sanders "Coach Prime" Now At Colorado

Don Johnson

39 minutes ago, redswingline said:

None of these college players were even alive when he was playing in the NFL.

I assume most if not all of the hype is from the parents of players and recruits.

He's coming in with his typical flamboyant style with a ton of loud brash talk which rarely works out well long term because the moment you stumble people automatically think you're full of shit. Worked for a couple of seasons punching down on low level college football with upper G5 level talent but he's giving himself zero margin for error here. 

It's an interesting watch for sure. A reality show level spectacle in the college football world. Definitely the first time Colorado football has been interesting in about 17 years. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

It's an interesting watch for sure. A reality show level spectacle in the college football world. Definitely the first time Colorado football has been interesting in about 17 years. 

Maybe that's all it is for Colorado. It's a low risk high reward move. If he fails, its not a surprise and they already suck, so who cares, but they get the exposure of his hiring / coaching. If he shows even moderate success, that's just an added bonus.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

On the other thread I’ve gone on record as thinking Deion is a great hire for the Buffs. I am a bit confused about Deion’s motivation as he’s the type of megastar who should have money for life and he’s done everything possible as a player. 

My read was that he wanted to take on Jackson State as a challenge and to give back to the HBCU world and enjoy coaching. I guess I’m just not getting his drive to claw to the top of the FBS mountain.  I don’t know a single really successful coach at that level who seems like he’s enjoying himself.  There’s no Bowden or Spurriers out there in the game these days. 

Take that back, Ed O always seemed to enjoy himself and that’s why he’s not a head football coach anymore. 

He got a taste of success in the coaching world and wants more. I don’t blame him and hope he does well. 

Fun fact: he’s friends with coach Gomez and he once brought Prime Prep down to Harlingen for a scrimmage, where the cards smashed them. 

4 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

He's coming in with his typical flamboyant style with a ton of loud brash talk which rarely works out well long term because the moment you stumble people automatically think you're full of shit. Worked for a couple of seasons punching down on low level college football with upper G5 level talent but he's giving himself zero margin for error here. 

You gotta figure he's there for 2-3 years tops. Bring in a bunch of hired guns from the portal, get them in the top 1/3 of the PAC, then parlay that into an NFL gig. Shit, Jerry might hire him if McCarthy flames out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, redswingline said:

Maybe that's all it is for Colorado. It's a low risk high reward move. If he fails, its not a surprise and they already suck, so who cares, but they get the exposure of his hiring / coaching. If he shows even moderate success, that's just an added bonus.

It makes a ton of sense for Colorado. No brainer there. They've been dead in the water for almost 2 decades. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Hard for me to decide whether to root for him or not.  Him telling his new players that he is bringing is own Louis Vuitton luggage and for them to hit the portal is pretty cringeworthy, but that is the current system.  Hell, if I was a Buffalo fan I would want those losing fucks out too.  

What if a player on scholarship doesn't want to hit the portal?  Can he pull their scholarships to make room for his hired guns to come in?

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Seriously, the only thing I was thinking when I was looking at the team was: "These are not P5 football players." That room looks like post death penalty SMU. 

I think Colorado post PAC-12 move has cared less than SMU did after the death penalty. The whole mess with Gary Barnett's group just seemed to cause the whole school to wash their hands of the football program. It's why there are so many Baileys, Jonahs, and Zanes filling their roster...and why they suck so badly. Guys like Dan Hawkins were on the right track, but they couldn't generate the buy-in and investment that the program needed in order to build from the ground up.

For better or worse, Deion is going to bring a spotlight and make people care what's going on. He will bring new fans to CU football, and he will force investment into the program. The face of CU athletics will change. And that's a good thing.

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

My read was that he wanted to take on Jackson State as a challenge and to give back to the HBCU world and enjoy coaching.

He was interviewing for bigger jobs after his first season.  Doesn't seem like that was ever his motivation. He wants to prove he can win at the P5 level.

• Like 1

Hard for me to decide whether to root for him or not.  Him telling his new players that he is bringing is own Louis Vuitton luggage and for them to hit the portal is pretty cringeworthy, but that is the current system.  Hell, if I was a Buffalo fan I would want those losing fucks out too.  
What if a player on scholarship doesn't want to hit the portal?  Can he pull their scholarships to make room for his hired guns to come in?

IIRC, football is one of the few sports where you can’t yank a scholarship without cause. Being an underperformer on the field isn’t an acceptable reason.

The two JSU grads I know are more upset about who he is leaving them for. They understood that it was a low risk/high reward situation when he was hired. And that regardless of success, Deion wasn't going to be around that long. But leaving them for an SEC/ACC school is a lot different than leaving for Colorado in their minds. And I'm sure they are not the only ones who feel that way.

Both sides benefitted from the deal, so there shouldn't be any real hard feelings. I'm sure the rest of the SWAC coaches are happy as hell, though.

I was looking forward to the Celebration Bowl this year, since SC State spanked JSU last year. And the MEAC has won 3 or 4 straight.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

The two JSU grads I know are more upset about who he is leaving them for. They understood that it was a low risk/high reward situation when he was hired. And that regardless of success, Deion wasn't going to be around that long. But leaving them for an SEC/ACC school is a lot different than leaving for Colorado in their minds. And I'm sure they are not the only ones who feel that way.

Both sides benefitted from the deal, so there shouldn't be any real hard feelings. I'm sure the rest of the SWAC coaches are happy as hell, though.

I get all that, but I think JSU benefitted greatly from the increased exposure and the money he brought into the program. And I think Colorado is an awful dumpster fire of a program, but to Deion, it is a blank slate with the opportunity to show the world what he and his crew can really do. I don't think anyone should be upset.

• Hook 'Em 1

"How should I say this? We're gonna try to make you quit. Those of you we don't run off, we're gonna try to make you quit."

This is what he actually said and the “OMG he told the whole team to portal!1!1” headline takes are overblown.

It’s what every new coach says when they come into a losing program. Things are going to change, you’re going to work harder than you ever have, and we’re going to weed out the ones who don’t want to be here or can’t hack it. It’s coachspeak, it just came from Deion and was on video.
  • Hook 'Em 1

My only observation is I always though the HBCU stuff was disingenuous and its been confirmed. We all knew he wasn't sticking around the SWAC if he had any success. No real criticism from me, just confirmation of a few things. I do find it a bit odd that he chose an area with a really small Black population. I thought he'd at least try to stay around the south, or maybe take a job like Georgia Tech with the demographics of Atlanta. They also made a big deal that a top QB recruit was going HBCU and now Prime is taking him with him to Colorado. I think he'll do okay but I think Colorado is hopeless even with him at the helm. We'll see how legit his recruiting and coaching skills are at a higher level.

13 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

CU struggles financially they have a lot of concern about remaining in the AAU and even have a website dedicated to discussing that and how they stand on things (not good finance wise)

they do a lot of research for a university with no medical school and they will probably never have one with what CU-Denver has going on, but they see what has happened to NU and ISU and things have to be in a panic for them

Colorado the state has way too many universities as it is and outside of the I-25 corridor (well the mid-north part of it) they are a poor state with a lot of reliance on resource extraction that the I-25 corridor voters have shut down for them

they get a ton of students from California, but Arizona has been moving in on those students for a long time and Nevada and Utah are moving in on those students really hard now and probably a lot less from Texas than in the past

they are loathe to go after Texas students harder or to get back in the Big 12 or to be associated with that

they are seeing Alabama feast on students from all over the USA and actually be able to raise their academics with out of state tuition (even though it is relatively low for an out of state tuition) and "top" students from upper middle class areas that were locked out of their state schools, or private schools, wanted a "real college experience" or wanted to be far away from home....Ole Miss has been doing the same for a while without as much academic elevation, but still holding their own for a Mississippi university in a relatively shitty town

CU had some dignity when they left the Big 12 and they were the only ones that simply said "we want to be west coast oriented" and did not remotely blame shit on Texas (even though they wished they could, but they did not want Texas living in their head rent free forever), but now with USC and UCLA gone, UW and Oregon begging to leave, Cal being a fucking financial disaster athletically, Stanford basically thinking they will get the call, but ambivalent if they do or not and CU looking around realizing that they are such shit the Big 12 might not even want them well they are desperate.......badly desperate

they have no more cash to throw at athletics from the academic side, they have a state full of people from the west coast that do not give a shit about athletic especially CU athletics and the rest of the voters that are broke or tired of being taxed to death and probably do not give a shit about CU at all

this is probably their last chance or they might be in the MWC even if it called the PAC 12

Nice rant, but no medical school?  

https://medschool.cuanschutz.edu/

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

You gotta figure he's there for 2-3 years tops. Bring in a bunch of hired guns from the portal, get them in the top 1/3 of the PAC, then parlay that into an NFL gig. Shit, Jerry might hire him if McCarthy flames out. 

Two years at CU, then takes over for Sark. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I'm going to go on record as predicting that this is going to be a fucking disaster.

Deion did well at Jackson State by recruiting a handful of really good players to beat up on teams in the SWAC.  But that's not going to happen in the PAC.  Every school in the PAC has good players that have plenty of options.  

And once they get them in the door, a coaching staff has to develop players (as we well know).  And I haven't seen anything to indicate that Deion has the ability to do that.  So is he going to hire competent assistants?  I can't imagine his ego would allow him to hire anybody who might upstage him.

Maybe I'm way wrong.  We shall see.  But I see a lot of downside and not very much upside.

I'm going to go on record as predicting that this is going to be a fucking disaster.
Deion did well at Jackson State by recruiting a handful of really good players to beat up on teams in the SWAC.  But that's not going to happen in the PAC.  Every school in the PAC has good players that have plenty of options.  
And once they get them in the door, a coaching staff has to develop players (as we well know).  And I haven't seen anything to indicate that Deion has the ability to do that.  So is he going to hire competent assistants?  I can't imagine his ego would allow him to hire anybody who might upstage him.
Maybe I'm way wrong.  We shall see.  But I see a lot of downside and not very much upside.

“Fucking disaster” would be a mild to moderate improvement for Colorado football
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

16 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I’ll wait and see what kind of coaching staff he puts together. He can cut deep with an excellent staff and recruiters 

Unless Sanders can somehow go into the negative on wins, the worst he can do is lose one more game than they did in 2022.

ctj talks about the players walking out of the meeting and calling mom and dad upset... who cares? Why the hell would anyone care if Tanner and Dylan are upset? Why would anyone care if talk radio is upset? Who cares? Who cares if Skip gets on ESPN and goes off? The man wasn't nice to a player's room that looks like a Mrs. Baird's day-old store? No more Tanners and Dylans for him! Mother won't allow that!

4-stars or higher

Colorado:
Class of 2022: 0
Class of 2021: 0
Class of 2020: 4
Class of 2019: 1

Jackson State:
Class of 2022: 2 (including #1 overall 5-star)
Class of 2021: 5

If Sanders clears consistent Top 25 recruiting classes, it's worth every penny for Colorado and every complaint from talking head douchebags that no one should be listening to anyway.

I'm sure a coaching staff that is too stocked with his friends and an NIL program that doesn't even exist yet will make it harder for him to crack the Top 10-15 in recruiting, but this 1-11 shitpile of a team doesn't need to go that high right now to see dramatic improvement.

Also, it's going to be entertaining as all hell to watch from a distance.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, 'stache said:

My only observation is I always though the HBCU stuff was disingenuous and its been confirmed. We all knew he wasn't sticking around the SWAC if he had any success. No real criticism from me, just confirmation of a few things. I do find it a bit odd that he chose an area with a really small Black population. I thought he'd at least try to stay around the south, or maybe take a job like Georgia Tech with the demographics of Atlanta. They also made a big deal that a top QB recruit was going HBCU and now Prime is taking him with him to Colorado. I think he'll do okay but I think Colorado is hopeless even with him at the helm. We'll see how legit his recruiting and coaching skills are at a higher level.

- safe area from racist cops in the south 

- legal weed

- very rich area. He’ll draw in non cu people into the program 

back in the day, cu recruited the worst neighborhoods in cali and it worked 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

- safe area from racist cops in the south 
- legal weed
- very rich area. He’ll draw in non cu people into the program 

back in the day, cu recruited the worst neighborhoods in cali and it worked 

"Sooner or later we gotta start changing our addresses, guys."

It's obvious what part of the sell is going to be: "We'll pay you a little money. Get you exposure. Get you away from dangerous situations where you live. Build your social media. And you'll get to know a lot of rich people who can help you build a real future."

Edited by bad_teammate

This is either going to be a spectacular success or a spectacular failure.       If it's a spectacular failure, it might doom CU football to the point it will never recover which won't take much in its current condition.    If it can actually get somewhere in the middle  (which I doubt) and Deion moves on to his next gig,  then maybe the program will be in a better position for the next man up.   

I know nothing about CU since they left the Big 12 but I thought very little of them in the late 80s and throughout the 90s.  From my experience at traveling to see games in the original Big 12, I always disliked the CU crowd more than any other. They reminded me of Big 10 crowds that wanted to pick a fight with every visiting fan. And then there was the entirety of McCartney's tenure when he brought in every criminal he could find from CA but preached integrity and honor with his Promise Keeper organization.

54 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Nice rant, but no medical school?  

https://medschool.cuanschutz.edu/

that is not a part of U Colorado Boulder

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anschutz_Medical_Campus#Merger_with_the_University_of_Colorado_Denver

Merger with the University of Colorado Denver

250px-University_of_Colorado_Anschutz_Me

The sign at the campus' main entrance on East Colfax Avenue

In the summer of 2004, the University of Colorado Denver and the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center merged to create the University of Colorado Denver and Health Sciences Center ("UCDHSC").[18] As a result, the University of Colorado encompassed three institutions, down from four. On October 29, 2007, the board of regents voted to rename UCDHSC as the "University of Colorado Denver." The branding covered both the Anschutz Medical Campus and the Denver Campus.[19] This was reportedly a source of frustration for the City of Aurora, whose representatives felt slighted that the location of one of the university's two campuses is not reflected in the university's name. Officials agreed to add "in Aurora" to the "University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus", referring only to one half of the university, but this was also considered an unsatisfactory solution,[20] and one state senator proposed the moniker "University of Colorado Denver/Aurora".[21]

In January 2010, the University of Colorado removed the word "Denver" from the Anschutz Medical Campus, referring to it only as University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus.[22] In 2014, the University of Colorado appointed separate chancellors for the University of Colorado Denver and the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus, effectively separating the two campuses.[23] However, the campuses remain administratively consolidated and offer some dual campus programs offered under the moniker University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus or UC Denver/Anschutz for short.

for a time it was fully under CU-Denver and now as the wiki says they have their own chancellors, but they share other administration.......but it is not a part of CU Boulder and has not been for a very long time (possibly back as far as 1925) and more importantly their research and other stats are not counted as a part of Boulder

and at least as of 2020 their state for research were still counted with CU-Denver

tab20 herd 2020 DT - nsf22311-tab020.pdf

Edited by ButtFumble

20 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Unless Sanders can somehow go into the negative on wins, the worst he can do is lose one more game than they did in 2022.

ctj talks about the players walking out of the meeting and calling mom and dad upset... who cares? Why the hell would anyone care if Tanner and Dylan are upset? Why would anyone care if talk radio is upset? Who cares? Who cares if Skip gets on ESPN and goes off? The man wasn't nice to a player's room that looks like a Mrs. Baird's day-old store? No more Tanners and Dylans for him! Mother won't allow that!

4-stars or higher

Colorado:
Class of 2022: 0
Class of 2021: 0
Class of 2020: 4
Class of 2019: 1

Jackson State:
Class of 2022: 2 (including #1 overall 5-star)
Class of 2021: 5

If Sanders clears consistent Top 25 recruiting classes, it's worth every penny for Colorado and every complaint from talking head douchebags that no one should be listening to anyway.

I'm sure a coaching staff that is too stocked with his friends and an NIL program that doesn't even exist yet will make it harder for him to crack the Top 10-15 in recruiting, but this 1-11 shitpile of a team doesn't need to go that high right now to see dramatic improvement.

Also, it's going to be entertaining as all hell to watch from a distance.

You presume that the roster has no value. Your position is accurate if that is the case. If that is not accurate, then immediately alienating the entire roster is flatly fucking dumb. It's dumb because there were other options for handling the same situation that are regret free.

Have you ever worked a turnaround? Taken over a failing team? What about one with a bunch of Gen Z-ers? 

You don't go in and immediately pull the bookshelf on top of yourself when you can get the urgency and critical nature of the situation across with even a modicum of patience. He had the cameras on and was feeling his oats though. He's Prime Time, after all. Got to get to high-steppin' when the lights are on. Right. That's all it was. It wasn't some sound strategic approach, as you guys are arguing in hindsight. 

He didn't give one fuck about any player in that room and it was patently obvious. Well and good, but fully unnecessary. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You presume that the roster has no value. Your position is accurate if that is the case. If that is not accurate, then immediately alienating the entire roster is flatly fucking dumb. It's dumb because there were other options for handling the same situation that are regret free.

Have you ever worked a turnaround? Taken over a failing team? What about one with a bunch of Gen Z-ers? 

You don't go in and immediately pull the bookshelf on top of yourself when you can get the urgency and critical nature of the situation across with even a modicum of patience. He had the cameras on and was feeling his oats though. He's Prime Time, after all. Got to get to high-steppin' when the lights are on. Right. That's all it was. It wasn't some sound strategic approach, as you guys are arguing in hindsight. 

He didn't give one fuck about any player in that room and it was patently obvious. Well and good, but fully unnecessary. 

The roster has probably no value and any value that it does have probably appreciated the message. Most of the talent there deep down recognizes that they are carrying the weight for free-riders who can’t play. The idea of Deion fixing that with fairy dust is alluring and probably will convince them to stay. Outside of the QB room which Deion probably fucked

13 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

that is not a part of U Colorado Boulder

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anschutz_Medical_Campus#Merger_with_the_University_of_Colorado_Denver

Merger with the University of Colorado Denver

250px-University_of_Colorado_Anschutz_Me

The sign at the campus' main entrance on East Colfax Avenue

In the summer of 2004, the University of Colorado Denver and the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center merged to create the University of Colorado Denver and Health Sciences Center ("UCDHSC").[18] As a result, the University of Colorado encompassed three institutions, down from four. On October 29, 2007, the board of regents voted to rename UCDHSC as the "University of Colorado Denver." The branding covered both the Anschutz Medical Campus and the Denver Campus.[19] This was reportedly a source of frustration for the City of Aurora, whose representatives felt slighted that the location of one of the university's two campuses is not reflected in the university's name. Officials agreed to add "in Aurora" to the "University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus", referring only to one half of the university, but this was also considered an unsatisfactory solution,[20] and one state senator proposed the moniker "University of Colorado Denver/Aurora".[21]

In January 2010, the University of Colorado removed the word "Denver" from the Anschutz Medical Campus, referring to it only as University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus.[22] In 2014, the University of Colorado appointed separate chancellors for the University of Colorado Denver and the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus, effectively separating the two campuses.[23] However, the campuses remain administratively consolidated and offer some dual campus programs offered under the moniker University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus or UC Denver/Anschutz for short.

for a time it was fully under CU-Denver and now as the wiki says they have their own chancellors, but they share other administration.......but it is not a part of CU Boulder and has not been for a very long time (possibly back as far as 1925) and more importantly their research and other stats are not counted as a part of Boulder

and at least as of 2020 their state for research were still counted with CU-Denver

tab20 herd 2020 DT - nsf22311-tab020.pdf

It's the University of Colorado medical school.  Why would it have to be in Boulder?

• Hook 'Em 2

.... and any value that it does have probably appreciated the message. 

That was part of his speech, too. He mentions how much it sucks for people who give a shit to be in there having to work next to people who don't and that he won't tolerate it. He made them chant the "Smart, Tough" thing and then asked, "Is that you?" to individuals. Pretty clear what was happening and I doubt the roster there was as surprised by it as the talking heads were.

And any guy who was wounded by that pretty standard coach message probably doesn't have the fortitude to hang out in a Cult of Personality program like any program Sanders runs will naturally be.

If he really did pull the bookshelf on top of himself, we'll see it in the portal soon enough.

14 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

CU struggles financially they have a lot of concern about remaining in the AAU and even have a website dedicated to discussing that and how they stand on things (not good finance wise)

they do a lot of research for a university with no medical school and they will probably never have one with what CU-Denver has going on, but they see what has happened to NU and ISU and things have to be in a panic for them

Colorado the state has way too many universities as it is and outside of the I-25 corridor (well the mid-north part of it) they are a poor state with a lot of reliance on resource extraction that the I-25 corridor voters have shut down for them

they get a ton of students from California, but Arizona has been moving in on those students for a long time and Nevada and Utah are moving in on those students really hard now and probably a lot less from Texas than in the past

they are loathe to go after Texas students harder or to get back in the Big 12 or to be associated with that

they are seeing Alabama feast on students from all over the USA and actually be able to raise their academics with out of state tuition (even though it is relatively low for an out of state tuition) and "top" students from upper middle class areas that were locked out of their state schools, or private schools, wanted a "real college experience" or wanted to be far away from home....Ole Miss has been doing the same for a while without as much academic elevation, but still holding their own for a Mississippi university in a relatively shitty town

CU had some dignity when they left the Big 12 and they were the only ones that simply said "we want to be west coast oriented" and did not remotely blame shit on Texas (even though they wished they could, but they did not want Texas living in their head rent free forever), but now with USC and UCLA gone, UW and Oregon begging to leave, Cal being a fucking financial disaster athletically, Stanford basically thinking they will get the call, but ambivalent if they do or not and CU looking around realizing that they are such shit the Big 12 might not even want them well they are desperate.......badly desperate

they have no more cash to throw at athletics from the academic side, they have a state full of people from the west coast that do not give a shit about athletic especially CU athletics and the rest of the voters that are broke or tired of being taxed to death and probably do not give a shit about CU at all

this is probably their last chance or they might be in the MWC even if it called the PAC 12

Solid post.

When you realize the real money for a college is asses in seats, the CU business model becomes clear.  They've always charged an assload in out of state tuition. Bama is doing something similar now.

This is a PR stunt for CU, if anything.  

Just now, bad_teammate said:

That was part of his speech, too. He mentions how much it sucks for people who give a shit to be in there having to work next to people who don't and that he won't tolerate it. He made them chant the "Smart, Tough" thing and then asked, "Is that you?" to individuals. Pretty clear what was happening and I doubt the roster there was as surprised by it as the talking heads were.

And any guy who was wounded by that pretty standard coach message probably doesn't have the fortitude to hang out in a Cult of Personality program like any program Sanders runs will naturally be.

If he really did pull the bookshelf on top of himself, we'll see it in the portal soon enough.

That's the part that got me. We've all worked in place where leaders allow mediocrity to live. We've seen with Texas football that having that in just 1 or 2 positions can kill an entire squad.

He's got more than a dozen transfers already lined up that are far better than guys on that squad. There is no other way to address the team other than to be honest with them.  Those worth anything that want to be there will be thrilled and embrace it. Everyone else's opinion doesn't matter.

Put me down for him making CU bowl eligible in 2023.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, redswingline said:

None of these college players were even alive when he was playing in the NFL.

I assume most if not all of the hype is from the parents of players and recruits.

I think most of them were at least alive when he had that one comeback season in Baltimore in 2004 😉