Deion Sanders "Coach Prime" Now At Colorado

Don Johnson

6 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

I’ll just share this thought, …..

unpopular opinion, triggered, ….

if sanders was white maaaaaaany here would be fan bois would be cheering / loving his aggressiveness, in your face style, no bs mentality 

Not sure what others posted, but speaking for myself I have zero issues with a no BS mentality.

This thread has been a great source of laughs, though. I'm paraphrasing but gems like "they may go bowling next year" and "they are going to run the Pac 12 when USC leaves" just lulz

After Prime Prep was such a fiasco here in Dallas, I always take anything Deion says or does with a grain of salt. He's an amazing self-promoter. He's done great at JSU and CU should be something he can improve simply because it's the Pac 12 and CU is one of the biggest afterthoughts in a conference of afterthoughts. I'll believe the tons of portal guys coming when I see it that aren't JSU guys. I think CU is in such a bad way financially that this could either be a tremendous boon for them or an amazing bust. If they can't even scrape together Deion's salary yet then how are they going to hire this amazing staff he wants? If CU was a Big 10 team, it would be a lot easier. I think there's a massive boulder (get it) that he'll be pushing uphill. It will be fascinating and CFB needs more interesting stories like this. I give him 3 years. 

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Have any of you ever had to deal with a self-proclaimed "No BS" person? They always end up being completely full of it. People who truly are no BS don't have to constantly remind you of it.

An example: Deion warning his players at JSU about the dangers of just hitting the portal without thinking about it, then immediately telling the players at CU to just GTFO.

Different messages for different audiences with different purposes.

What is your message when, for the first time, you're walking into the player's room of a 1-11 team? It's going to be some variant of "I want everyone who will not buy in to insanely hard work to get out, because we're going to work insanely hard."

You can be country white boy Jesus with it. Or you can be super-sincere born-a-teacher with it (the new Grolesh guy has this vibe at USF). You can be matter-of-fact businessman about it. You can be angry screaming guy about it. Or you can be Deion about it.  But at the end of the day, coaches all say basically the same thing because that's just the truth of how things have to go.

Bo Davis on the ISU bus, "GET IN THE MUTHAFUCKA'! THIS IS REAL!"

Anyone who genuinely believes that Deion Sanders was actually telling the entire CU roster to leave is an idiot. A straight-up waterhead. Not only is that not what he said, but it doesn't even make sense. This guy has been deep in organized football for 40+ years.

If I'm walking into that player's room, 1-11 team, knowing a lot of guys on the team didn't even bother to show up to see the new coach, I'm probably not going to be saying, "Gosh, fellas, I'm just so honored to be here and I can't wait to continue the winning tradition! Thanks for the opportunity and I know I have a lot to learn from you guys!"

• Hook 'Em 6

17 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

What is your message when, for the first time, you're walking into the player's room of a 1-11 team? It's going to be some variant of "I want everyone who will not buy in to insanely hard work to get out, because we're going to work insanely hard."

You can be country white boy Jesus with it. Or you can be super-sincere born-a-teacher with it (the new Grolesh guy has this vibe at USF). You can be matter-of-fact businessman about it. You can be angry screaming guy about it. Or you can be Deion about it.  But at the end of the day, coaches all say basically the same thing because that's just the truth of how things have to go.

Anyone who genuinely believes that Deion Sanders was actually telling the entire CU roster to leave is an idiot. A straight-up waterhead. Not only is that not what he said, but it doesn't even make sense. This guy has been deep in organized football for 40+ years.

If I'm walking into that player's room, 1-11 team, knowing a lot of guys on the team didn't even bother to show up to see the new coach, I'm probably not going to be saying, "Gosh, fellas, I'm just so honored to be here and I can't wait to continue the winning tradition! Thanks for the opportunity and I know I have a lot to learn from you guys!"

Relax dude. If you thought i actually meant that Deion wants the whole roster of CU players to enter the transfer portal all at once, you're the one being too literal. Obviously when i said that i was exaggerating, and anyone with two brain cells to rub together should realize that.

Also the fact that they would film that, or allow it to be filmed, and "leaked" to the public, is pretty cringe. Russell Wilson vibes.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

This is kind of what I got from Deion telling everyone to hit the portal.    Things are going to change and it's not business as usual.    I know it was a movie, but it's kind of like the scene from the Hoosiers when Gene Hackman walks into the gym and the team gives him the roll of the eyes and this is how we do things and he proceeded to tell those who thought they were the badasses to leave.    For which they did, but later crawled back to beg to get back on the team.

And the CU football program is pretty much a huge dumpster fire and has been this way for almost a decade going back to when they went PAC 12.   I have a very close relative who until recently worked at CU at the Athletic Dept who pretty much confirms it was a dumpster fire and then some.   He used to work with an up-and-coming athletic department at a school we are all familiar with here in Texas (not aggy) as an intern before he took that job in Boulder, and he said their attitude about football is what ticked him off the most.  Growing up and going to school in Texas he saw how things were done right and he'd get blank stares and the such from the Einsteins who run the show up in Boulder.      I hope Deion is a bull in the china shop up there.  

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I'll believe the tons of portal guys coming when I see it that aren't JSU guys.

I believe ctj 100% when he says their NIL isn't even conceived, much less in an infancy, so big names will need to believe in the Deion narrative to move, and I think selling that narrative to HS recruits is way more feasible than selling it to guys who are already working in the system.

My bets.

2023: 4 wins and a top 20 recruiting class (2024)
2024: 7 wins and a top 15 recruiting class (2025)
2025: "God has called me to be an agent of change in Starkville, MS..."

But most importantly, a shitload of entertainment.

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I believe ctj 100% when he says their NIL isn't even conceived, much less in an infancy, so big names will need to believe in the Deion narrative to move, and I think selling that narrative to HS recruits is way more feasible than selling it to guys who are already working in the system.

My bets.

2023: 4 wins and a top 20 recruiting class (2024)
2024: 7 wins and a top 15 recruiting class (2025)
2025: "God has called me to be an agent of change in Starkville, MS..."

But most importantly, a shitload of entertainment.

Why would Starkville get rid of The Pirate?   

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

I think there's a massive boulder (get it) that he'll be pushing uphill. It will be fascinating and CFB needs more interesting stories like this. I give him 3 years. 

So instead of calling him Prime Time we should starting calling him Sysiphus Sanders?

• Haha 1

I am a huge Deion fan and loved how he brought a fresh energy and excitement to the SWAC. So many people misunderstood his talent and leadership, as evidenced by all the college pundits claiming his 5-Star DB was making a huge mistake by going to Jackson State. (Cause it would have been so much better to have gotten half-ass NFL training from shitty, nameless Florida State coaches.) Even other SWAC coaches and players threw shade at Deion, which is funny, cause what were they doing to bring recognition to the league? Nothing. 

That said, I do think Deion jumped the gun a little by choosing Colorado. I'm glad they are paying big but the culture seems very different. I would have loved to see him at an Auburn or Florida State, etc. Of course, he has nowhere to go but up, so there's that. It's going to be fun to watch how he attempts to transform the program.       

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Relax dude. If you thought i actually meant that Deion wants the whole roster of CU players to enter the transfer portal all at once, you're the one being too literal. Obviously when i said that i was exaggerating, and anyone with two brain cells to rub together should realize that.

Also the fact that they would film that, or allow it to be filmed, and "leaked" to the public, is pretty cringe. Russell Wilson vibes.

His son films and posts all the stuff he does, especially team meetings, and they have a very strong social media following thanks to it. Which sadly and contrary to what many old people think actually does matter and has tangible benefits these days.

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

I am a huge Deion fan and loved how he brought a fresh energy and excitement to the SWAC. So many people misunderstood his talent and leadership, as evidenced by all the college pundits claiming his 5-Star DB was making a huge mistake by going to Jackson State. (Cause it would have been so much better to have gotten half-ass NFL training from shitty, nameless Florida State coaches.) Even other SWAC coaches and players threw shade at Deion, which is funny, cause what were they doing to bring recognition to the league? Nothing. 

That said, I do think Deion jumped the gun a little by choosing Colorado. I'm glad they are paying big but the culture seems very different. I would have loved to see him at an Auburn or Florida State, etc. Of course, he has nowhere to go but up, so there's that. It's going to be fun to watch how he attempts to transform the program.       

I think he wanted to go to an absolute dumpster fire of a program to prove he is the chosen turnaround dude. It's gonna be awesome seeing what happens when he brings a shit load of dudes in that wanna play. This is gonna be Michigan state Mel tucker esque type roster churn. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

His son films and posts all the stuff he does, especially team meetings, and they have a very strong social media following thanks to it. Which sadly and contrary to what many old people think actually does matter and has tangible benefits these days.

I'm definitely an old, and I agree with you that it's a really smart move. His brand is what will attract people to the program. He knows how to create interest and excitement. I bet lots of top players will want to go play for him and all of this publicity is brilliant. He will run rings around the hopeless, tired, retread coaching industry in terms of recruiting. 

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I am taking all bets up to $1000 per person that CU will not be bowl eligible in 2023. I will give you up to Friday, September 1, 2023 to let me know. Just @ me on this thread, thanks. 

Very tempting. Their schedule is favorable. 

@TCU 

Nebraska

Colorado St 

@ASU (new first time ever HC)

Arizona

Oregon St

Stanford (New hc)

USC

@Oregon 

@UCLA

@Utah

@Washington St

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

It's the University of Colorado medical school.  Why would it have to be in Boulder?

you are missing the point of what I am saying

1. it does not matter where it is located what matters is the research and performance of that medical school and the administration of it is not a part of CU=Boulder

just like the UT Medical Branch (as it was called for decades) is located in Galveston and even though for decades it was called "The University of Texas Medical Branch" it was never administered by UT Austin.....neither is UT-Houston MB......and UT San Antonio HSC is not administered by UTSA

2. the point I was making is that CU Boulder has concerns about their performance relative to their peers in the AAU to the point they have a website up comparing metrics

https://www.colorado.edu/oda/department-institution-data/peer-comparisons

https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/university.of.colorado.boulder.ir/viz/State_Appropriations/SingleYear-Graph

when it comes to funding both state and tuition funding CU Boulder is doing very poorly compared to their AAU peers

3. when it comes to athletics many members of the PAC 12 have gone from being extremely conservative with athletics spending and especially academic side transfers to athletics to now being the worst conference out of all of them when it comes to academic transfers of funds to athletics

here is CU (have to used the cached links since USA Today thinks people will subscribe to their crap

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:rTy3hYy7Gp4J:https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/126614&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

so CU spends about $9.6 million in academic funds on athletics and has another $1.5 million in student fees for a total of over $11 million coming off the backs of students for their athletics

in the PAC 12

Arizona is over $13 million

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:G5UUuLUSCFcJ:https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/104179&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

ASU is over $23 million

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:gYJBoyy4hAEJ:https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/104151&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

we know Cal owes $400 million on their stajium that they have been kicking down the road

and you compare to the highest subsidy in the Big 12 which is WVU $3.8 million

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:ednTO6bOIrYJ:https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

well the finances for the PAC 12 are a giant mess and some of those schools still run an annual DEFICIT AFTER the academic side subsidies

we know that the Big 12 is now going to get a slight bump on their new TV deal while the PAC 12 without USC and UCLA might still get a decrease for existing members or only a slight bump at best and that is before they might add new members or lose more members

so the PAC 12 finances are a MESS and look like SHIT

and Colorado that is specifically concerned with their place in the AAU as the website above addresses is not in the position to start subsidizing athletics to the tune of way more than $11 million they are already doing

and more importantly without a medical school attached to their main campus or under the administration of their main campus (because Anschutz is not under CU Boulder) they need to make sure all their available academic dollars are going to research

now could they move the medical school under CU boulder yes they could and that would probably help SOME....but the reality is the AAU compares schools to "peers" so when NU complained about not getting fair treatment because they did not have a medical school well they could have moved the independent NU Medical school in Omaha under the Lincoln campus, but that would not have helped them because that school does not do a great deal of research and it probably would have harmed them because it would have made their "peers" other universities WITH medical schools

i the case of CU and Anschutz it would probably help because Anschutz does a lot of research, but it still chances the peer group of comparison for AAU evaluation if you add the medical school 

but the reality is you can look at those AAU comparisons right from Colorado and you can look at the academic subsidies to athletics of CU and other PAC 12 members and you can look at the hard truth that the PAC 12 may well be looking at TV money cuts or very slight increases and you can know that the time s NOW for CU and others in the PAC 12 to either shit or get out of D1-A or at least out of the P5 and start thinking what it will be like as a non competitive conference and a lower earning conference that struggles to stay with even the Big 12 and ACC much less the SEC SEC SEC and Big 10

and the facts are CU does not have the academic side money to keep spending nor is there the will in their student body or state for that and they are in a conference with a lot of programs facing the same issue and they either go "Prime Time" or they go small time and take their place as a body bag game, home coming game, and a stepping stone to coach at Michigan State and the like and a perennial 5 win or less team most all years

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I’ll just share this thought, …..

unpopular opinion, triggered, ….

if sanders was white maaaaaaany here would be fan bois would be cheering / loving his aggressiveness, in your face style, no bs mentality 

Yep.  Support of Jeff saturday is overwhelming.

Nobody really likes Mccarthy in Dallas either, but he's white so he can stay.

The questions about Deion aren't about his race at all.  It's about his constant fucking grift on everything, questionable dealings with amateur athletes, a high school fiasco, and his loud mouth approach to everything.  Everyone loves Baker Mayfield because he's white...

20 minutes ago, slorch said:

Yep.  Support of Jeff saturday is overwhelming.

Nobody really likes Mccarthy in Dallas either, but he's white so he can stay.

The questions about Deion aren't about his race at all.  It's about his constant fucking grift on everything, questionable dealings with amateur athletes, a high school fiasco, and his loud mouth approach to everything.  Everyone loves Baker Mayfield because he's white...

Bo Davis is probably the most loved coach on staff, mothafucka.

• Haha 1

My only observation is I always though the HBCU stuff was disingenuous and its been confirmed. We all knew he wasn't sticking around the SWAC if he had any success. No real criticism from me, just confirmation of a few things. I do find it a bit odd that he chose an area with a really small Black population. I thought he'd at least try to stay around the south, or maybe take a job like Georgia Tech with the demographics of Atlanta. They also made a big deal that a top QB recruit was going HBCU and now Prime is taking him with him to Colorado. I think he'll do okay but I think Colorado is hopeless even with him at the helm. We'll see how legit his recruiting and coaching skills are at a higher level.
This is only a stepping stone. I'm guessing he will get his feet wet at Colorado and then try and get another job. Maybe Florida State?

1 hour ago, MrX said:

Thamel now saying Lewis to CU is done. 

Willie Taggart reportedly joining Deion's staff

Former FAU head coach Willie Taggart is reportedly heading back to the Pac-12 after over a decade as a head coach.

DOUG SAMUELS        3 HOURS AGO

Josh Newberg shares today that Willie Taggart arrived in Boulder this afternoon and will have a role on Deion's staff.  Newberg adds that "his role could be on field or off-field, not sure right now, but I do know he's there."

Taggart was recently let go at FAU after a 15-18 run at FAU over the past three seasons. He previously rebuilt programs at Western Kentucky and South Florida before going on to lead programs at Oregon, Florida State, and FAU.  Joining forces with Deion will mark the first non-head coaching job Taggart has had since 2009, when he was coaching the running backs at Stanford.

Since then, Taggart quickly turned around Western Kentucky from 2-10 to back-to-back years of 7-5 before leaving to do the same thing South Florida. With the Bulls, he started off 2-10 before going 4-8, 8-5 and then 10-2.

Heading into 2017 he took over the Oregon job, and was there just one 7-5 season before leaving for his "dream job" at Florida State. He lasted less than two seasons in Tallahassee, going 9-12 before being let go in 2019.

Taggart's coaching experience dating back to his assistant coaching days comes on the offensive side of the ball, mainly with quarterbacks and running backs, but regardless of his exact role, Taggart will bring invaluable head coaching perspective and serious recruiting ties to Florida as well as the Pacific Northwest.

LIFE MOVES PRETTY FAST....  just a little over a week ago

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Willie Taggart reportedly joining Deion's staff

Former FAU head coach Willie Taggart is reportedly heading back to the Pac-12 after over a decade as a head coach.

DOUG SAMUELS        3 HOURS AGO

Josh Newberg shares today that Willie Taggart arrived in Boulder this afternoon and will have a role on Deion's staff.  Newberg adds that "his role could be on field or off-field, not sure right now, but I do know he's there."

Taggart was recently let go at FAU after a 15-18 run at FAU over the past three seasons. He previously rebuilt programs at Western Kentucky and South Florida before going on to lead programs at Oregon, Florida State, and FAU.  Joining forces with Deion will mark the first non-head coaching job Taggart has had since 2009, when he was coaching the running backs at Stanford.

Since then, Taggart quickly turned around Western Kentucky from 2-10 to back-to-back years of 7-5 before leaving to do the same thing South Florida. With the Bulls, he started off 2-10 before going 4-8, 8-5 and then 10-2.

Heading into 2017 he took over the Oregon job, and was there just one 7-5 season before leaving for his "dream job" at Florida State. He lasted less than two seasons in Tallahassee, going 9-12 before being let go in 2019.

Taggart's coaching experience dating back to his assistant coaching days comes on the offensive side of the ball, mainly with quarterbacks and running backs, but regardless of his exact role, Taggart will bring invaluable head coaching perspective and serious recruiting ties to Florida as well as the Pacific Northwest.

LIFE MOVES PRETTY FAST....  just a little over a week ago

Wrong thread

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Lots of Miss State fans/alumni already tired of The Pirate's antics...  

He best keep winning "The Egg Bowl" more often or alumni might run him off...

MSU is never going to win the SEC with or without him.   They need to just keep him.   Just like Tech was never going to win the Big 12 with him, but they would’ve saved themselves a lot of heartaches had thy not let Craig James and Kent Hance fire him. MSU will be a respectable 8,9 and maybe ever once in awhile 10 win team

• Hook 'Em 3