Deion Sanders "Coach Prime" Now At Colorado

Don Johnson

Im laughing at all the brow furrowing over a few recruits getting fucked. College football is now professional football, why expect loyalty from either side? I saw that JT Daniels will be transferring to his 4th school.  That recruit upthread that is bitching about CU dropping him, originally dropped Cal for CU. Who gives a fuck? Its the NFL 2.0, except without a salary cap or enforceable contracts. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

Im laughing at all the brow furrowing over a few recruits getting fucked. College football is now professional football, why expect loyalty from either side? I saw that JT Daniels will be transferring to his 4th school.  That recruit upthread that is bitching about CU dropping him, originally dropped Cal for CU. Who gives a fuck? Its the NFL 2.0, except without a salary cap or enforceable contracts. 

Yeah it's a different world now.

20 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Nick Saban has been using grey shirts and running off non producers for years. This is nothing new other than Prime is more outspoken about it.

Yeah, prior to the portal Saban was recruiting in the realm of 15 to 20% more scholarship players than most teams do the constant roster turnover he created with medical redshirts, greyshirt, and an assortment of other classifications he used. 

My first reaction is to question how much these kids really know about Deon, since most of them were born after he retired from the NFL.  When I was a kid I read and watched old NFL films about players who were in the league before I was born, but my "get off my lawn mentality" wonders how much kids today know about the NFL legends of the past, as opposed to focusing on who's dominant and popular today. 

But then I think about the parents, who are my age and who followed and rooted for Deon in middle school or high school and beyond, and I'm sure there's a shitload of parents of four and five-star recruits telling their sons, "Go play for Deon."

Yeah, it's a big step up from Jackson State, and yeah, it's a program that hasn't seemed to care as much about football in a long time.  But he's got the notoriety, he seems to be assembling a good staff, and he's playing in a conference that has been far from dominant as of late.  He might crush it at Colorado.

• Hook 'Em 1

The guy is going to be able to recruit, we just saw that. Whether the kids these days even know who he is didn't seem to matter there. And it appears that initially he might be able to put together a decent staff. The question is how good of a coach he actually is, because what we do know is that he won't be able to build up near the talent advantage at CU (or better jobs) that he was able to at Jackson State. 

If he is an good coach for this level of football, and able to field good staffs year after year, then I don't see any reason why he won't be really successful. After that, the questions become "when does it all wear thin?," and what happens after it does?

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

One thing i will say is that anyone calling him a sellout or being mad from the standpoint HBCUs doesn't make a lot of sense. We're talking about coaching college football here. People move around all the time. I think a good general rule for this stuff is never believe a single word that comes out of a college coach's mouth. It's all BS. That's the whole business.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

My first reaction is to question how much these kids really know about Deon, since most of them were born after he retired from the NFL.  When I was a kid I read and watched old NFL films about players who were in the league before I was born, but my "get off my lawn mentality" wonders how much kids today know about the NFL legends of the past, as opposed to focusing on who's dominant and popular today. 

But then I think about the parents, who are my age and who followed and rooted for Deon in middle school or high school and beyond, and I'm sure there's a shitload of parents of four and five-star recruits telling their sons, "Go play for Deon."

Yeah, it's a big step up from Jackson State, and yeah, it's a program that hasn't seemed to care as much about football in a long time.  But he's got the notoriety, he seems to be assembling a good staff, and he's playing in a conference that has been far from dominant as of late.  He might crush it at Colorado.

All these kids today have hours of YouTube videos to watch along with the stuff on ESPN like 30 on 30 to get them up to date on the legends of the past like Deion.   

I'm thinking if you asked many of us who grew up when Deion was  "Prime Time" if he'd be leading a major college program, the reaction would be a laugh, a roll of the eyes and maybe a choice word or two.   Not sure these kids at CU were that moved when they heard he was offered and accepted the job.  

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

If I didn't know any better, I would think Deion was engineered in a lab to be a successful coach in today's world of social media. He's  cocky and has more charisma/swagger than probably all the SEC coaches combined. In today's age of 10 second clips going viral on social media, Deion's brand will sell. All things being equal, he would kill every college football coach (including Saban) in recruiting. Deion can waltz into the living room with more success as a player than any coach in the game (college all american, superbowl rings, NFL DPY, etc...) but more importantly relate to many of the top players in ways that a Saban, Sark, Swinney etc.... can not.

But as we know, all things are not equal. Deion will have to get out of the gates respectably in his first couple of seasons, Colorado will need to build out its NIL infrastructure immensely to compete, and his players will need to get to the NFL with the same regularity as the entrenched powers. The biggest hurdle he will likely have to overcome is getting the CU administration to commit to being a college football power and everything that goes along with that. If they falter in doing that, his time in Boulder will likely be short lived and he will move on. I'm a huge fan of this move for Colorado whether it succeeds or fails. Its a gamble, but thats a program in serious need of a gamble. 

56 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Why? At P5 level they now have nil and the portal. Medical retirements should be the only guarantees. Earn your keep. Most academic schollys require minimum levels of performance to keep them.

Exactly. If a player is free to move whenever he wants, a school should be free to shitcan him whenever they want. College football fans need to forget whatever quaint notions they may have about amateur athletics and what makes college football "special." Many of these guys are now getting paid orders of magnitude more than the average income in the US. Guys like Bijan make multiples of what their university presidents could ever hope to make. They are professionals, so they should learn what being a professional athlete is all about. The players and coaches are mercenaries, its the fans that are held hostage. 

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Blotto said:

If I didn't know any better, I would think Deion was engineered in a lab to be a successful coach in today's world of social media. He's  cocky and has more charisma/swagger than probably all the SEC coaches combined. In today's age of 10 second clips going viral on social media, Deion's brand will sell. All things being equal, he would kill every college football coach (including Saban) in recruiting. Deion can waltz into the living room with more success as a player than any coach in the game (college all american, superbowl rings, NFL DPY, etc...) but more importantly relate to many of the top players in ways that a Saban, Sark, Swinney etc.... can not.

But as we know, all things are not equal. Deion will have to get out of the gates respectably in his first couple of seasons, Colorado will need to build out its NIL infrastructure immensely to compete, and his players will need to get to the NFL with the same regularity as the entrenched powers. The biggest hurdle he will likely have to overcome is getting the CU administration to commit to being a college football power and everything that goes along with that. If they falter in doing that, his time in Boulder will likely be short lived and he will move on. I'm a huge fan of this move for Colorado whether it succeeds or fails. Its a gamble, but thats a program in serious need of a gamble. 

Exactly. If a player is free to move whenever he wants, a school should be free to shitcan him whenever they want. College football fans need to forget whatever quaint notions they may have about amateur athletics and what makes college football "special." Many of these guys are now getting paid orders or magnitude more than the average income in the US. Guys like Bijan make multiples of what their university presidents could ever hope to make. They are professionals, so they should learn what being a professional athlete is all about. The players and coaches are mercenaries, its the fans that are held hostage. 

Couldn't agree more.  I'm in the minority, I know this, but if Sark falters, I think Deion should be our guy. 

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

Couldn't agree more.  I'm in the minority, I know this, but if Sark falters, I think Deion should be our guy. 

Texas’ problem doesn’t appear to be inability to recruit.

I’m not clear on why we think he’d be successful as CEO of a gigantic football program.

52 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

One thing i will say is that anyone calling him a sellout or being mad from the standpoint HBCUs doesn't make a lot of sense. We're talking about coaching college football here. People move around all the time. I think a good general rule for this stuff is never believe a single word that comes out of a college coach's mouth. It's all BS. That's the whole business.

People who call others a sellout will turn around and leave their current job for a 5% salary increase.  Truly hypocritical. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, markstanco said:

People who call others a sellout will turn around and leave their current job for a 5% salary increase.  Truly hypocritical. 

Yeah but most people don't declare that god chose them for whatever job they are currently at before bolting for the pay increase. That's where the "full of shit, don't believe anything they say" mentality comes from for me. The person saying it usually believes it at the time they say it, which is where i give it a pass and accept it as part of the environment.

Also stop looking for hypocrisy in every little thing. Shit changes. People get new info. It's called being open minded.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

God wanted Deion to bring change to JSU and he did, so now God calls him to bring change to Colorado. And in a few years...

That's the fun thing about god's will... it's whatever you want it to be!

Keep the religious crap on whatever forum it goes on. This ain't it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

A little off topic, but my favorite Prime story (hopefully true) from Boys Will Be Boys:

"I still remember Deion's first team meeting," says Clayton Holmes, the veteran cornerback. "We were so fundamental about film. The way we studied it was critical. Well, Deion comes in, puts his feet up on a table and doesn't even watch." When Dave Campo, the Cowboys new defensive coordinator, asked the $35 million man to break down a play, Sanders let out a sly laugh. "Hey, Coach," he said, pointing toward the screen, "I got that dude right there. Wherever he goes I go. All that Cover Two stuff you're talking about -- y'all work that out."

I always think about that story whenever I hear Deion tell these guys how hard they are going to have to work.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

A little off topic, but my favorite Prime story (hopefully true) from Boys Will Be Boys:

"I still remember Deion's first team meeting," says Clayton Holmes, the veteran cornerback. "We were so fundamental about film. The way we studied it was critical. Well, Deion comes in, puts his feet up on a table and doesn't even watch." When Dave Campo, the Cowboys new defensive coordinator, asked the $35 million man to break down a play, Sanders let out a sly laugh. "Hey, Coach," he said, pointing toward the screen, "I got that dude right there. Wherever he goes I go. All that Cover Two stuff you're talking about -- y'all work that out."

I always think about that story whenever I hear Deion tell these guys how hard they are going to have to work.

Deion was a freak athlete. He played the game accordingly, and often selfishly. Most people do not have the talent to do that. Deion had the ability to cover just about anyone, but he was notorious for not sacrificing his body to make tackles. Most players have to do everything right to have a roster spot. Deion was pragmatic because he could afford to be.

I see his coaching moves as similar. Shrewd, but often self-serving. He wants those around him to succeed, but along with him. He will not help them succeed at his expense.

• Like 3

Yeah, that's actually a positive as far as I'm concerned. In the video of him talking to his players and staff about leaving, he tells his OC to make sure that a certain player gets a touch in the final game. He doesn't gameplan it, he doesn't even pretend to give a shit about calling plays. VERY clear about the delegation of responsibilities.

I don't imagine Sanders is a guy who you have to worry about micromanaging you as long as you're getting results. Give him a DC who pitches shutouts and Prime probably couldn't even tell you what the schemes and alignments were that made it happen. He's just smiling, clapping, coaching the guys in a general/discipline/expectations sense, winning over boosters and recruits, and making sure all the checks are lined up.

And I doubt he has a lot of time for coaches/staff who aren't getting results.

"We gon' hug and kiss and say goodbye."

23 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Yeah, that's actually a positive as far as I'm concerned. In the video of him talking to his players and staff about leaving, he tells his OC to make sure that a certain player gets a touch in the final game. He doesn't gameplan it, he doesn't even pretend to give a shit about calling plays. VERY clear about the delegation of responsibilities.

I don't imagine Sanders is a guy who you have to worry about micromanaging you as long as you're getting results. Give him a DC who pitches shutouts and Prime probably couldn't even tell you what the schemes and alignments were that made it happen. He's just smiling, clapping, coaching the guys in a general/discipline/expectations sense, winning over boosters and recruits, and making sure all the checks are lined up.

And I doubt he has a lot of time for coaches/staff who aren't getting results.

"We gon' hug and kiss and say goodbye."

It's weird, it's almost like some of the best head coaches are like this lol

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Can someone please delve deeply into Deion’s religious and political beliefs?  I think it’s relevant to this discussion. thaaaaaaaaaaaaanks

I was just quoting something the dude said. It was a factual thing that happened. Nobody is getting into any theological or political discussions here. So how about you and your boy @Tex Pete take your little thread policing bullshit elsewhere.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Why? At P5 level they now have nil and the portal. Medical retirements should be the only guarantees. Earn your keep. Most academic schollys require minimum levels of performance to keep them.

Because the scholarship is the big benefit for 99% of the student athletes. The vast majority of them aren’t going pro but are expected to train like pros while they’re on the team.

Making billions of these kids’ labor and then saying “sorry! Sucks for you!” if they get hurt or can’t cut it is exploitative and unethical imo 

Personally I’d require them to take just 1 or 2 classes a semester while playing and guarantee them a 3 to 4 year scholarship after they’re done playing but that’s just me 

I’ve been a professor at two Big 12 schools. The student athletes work their asses off, but let’s be honest, they have to prioritize football or whatever their sport is. You can’t exactly major in a complicated subject while putting 8 hours a day into your sport unless you are a true Superman/Superwoman 

I think it’s unethical to make a ton of money off of them and not allow them to take full advantage of their educational opportunities 

Edited by MotownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I was just quoting something the dude said. It was a factual thing that happened. Nobody is getting into any theological or political discussions here. So how about you and your boy @Tex Pete take your little thread policing bullshit elsewhere.

relax francis is was a joke.  maybe less meth in the morning joe, mmkay?

2 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Deion was a freak athlete. He played the game accordingly, and often selfishly. Most people do not have the talent to do that. Deion had the ability to cover just about anyone, but he was notorious for not sacrificing his body to make tackles. Most players have to do everything right to have a roster spot. Deion was pragmatic because he could afford to be.

I see his coaching moves as similar. Shrewd, but often self-serving. He wants those around him to succeed, but along with him. He will not help them succeed at his expense.

He was the first guy i heard use the term "business decision " in an on-the-field football scenario 

37 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

The best head coaches have no idea what their coordinators are doing? Seriously?

"No idea" is too strong.

I don't want my HC to have to get granular with coordinators during the game. An ideal situation is that the defensive staff runs the defense, the offensive staff runs the offense, and the HC sets larger expectations, manages the game (clock, refs, etc...), runs the staff leaders (DC/OC), and acts as a general sideline cheerleader on occasion.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/6/2022 at 12:17 PM, Vertigo said:

People seem surprised to find out that arguably the greatest DB of all time and a Hall of Famer would know what good looks like in terms of coaching and evaluating players. 

Wayne Gretzky, Magic Johnson, Bart Starr, Kevin McHale, Mike Singletary, Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, Isaiah Thomas, and a ton of others disagree. 

Great players almost never make good coaches. And if we're talking about executive/ownership as well then add Michael Jordan. 

It would be a statistical anomaly if Deion is successful. He was at Jackson St because that's close to the lowest level of college football and his name alone could attract enough of a talent disparity to not need to be a good coach to win. Now that isn't the case and we're going to find out if he's the real deal as a coach. The odds aren't on his side. 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

not sure why people easily believe Deion was all talent and didn't/doesn't understand the technical aspects of playing. At least as a DB, there have been clips over the years of him at one camp or school or another showing techniques of playing the position and it's clear he didn't just show up on Sundays and line up... whatever his persona says.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

dragging people down is very easy for some people 

I agree, he moved up and moved on. Get over it