Deion Sanders "Coach Prime" Now At Colorado

Don Johnson

4 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Couldn't agree more.  I'm in the minority, I know this, but if Sark falters, I think Deion should be our guy. 

You are thankfully in the minority. I'd like to see Texas run an actual process and interview some folks before the next hire. If Prime Time is kicking ass and a part of that process, awesome. That's 2 years or more away from now, so it's absurd to believe any of us have a clue who the right candidates should be at that point in time.

3 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Deion was a freak athlete. He played the game accordingly, and often selfishly. Most people do not have the talent to do that. Deion had the ability to cover just about anyone, but he was notorious for not sacrificing his body to make tackles. Most players have to do everything right to have a roster spot. Deion was pragmatic because he could afford to be.

I see his coaching moves as similar. Shrewd, but often self-serving. He wants those around him to succeed, but along with him. He will not help them succeed at his expense.

My last boss was a very popular man among the people and we had a lot of success together at a giant firm. I'd often hear people who didn't work closely with him or know him speak in the most glowing terms about him. Almost messianic. That said, I got to see a lot of Machiavellian shit that virtually no one else did and it was informative about the man. I'd often get asked my thoughts about him and one thing I always made sure I'd include was "He will always have your back, as long as you stay useful." 

I'm not sure there's a ton wrong with helping others succeed so long as you gain from it as well. It's never been my thing, but I get it.

2 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Why? The countdown to an NCAA show clause started the minute he was announced.

Show *cause* and I am not sure the NCAA will ever do another damned thing again regarding infractions. They have guys on FBI wiretaps talking about buying players who have never been punished. A coach would have to be murdering kids or something to get a show cause at this point, I think. Even then, DJ Durkin went unscathed. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Dude walked in playing All Eyez On Me lol. This is gonna be a train wreck

I'd like to disagree -- seems he'll recruit well enough to put a better product on the field -- but I don't know enough about his coaching chops. It will be entertaining, one way or another.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/5/2022 at 12:38 PM, closetojumping said:

I am taking all bets up to $1000 per person that CU will not be bowl eligible in 2023. I will give you up to Friday, September 1, 2023 to let me know. Just @ me on this thread, thanks. 

7 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Eye of the tiger

calling my shot   Colorado will win at least five and be in a bowl next year

YARN | Take the bet, you fucking pussy. | Beerfest (2006) | Video gifs by  quotes | 51ff73f1 | 紗

20 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

I absolutely love everything he does. He is authentically unique and knows how to connect with young people. Compare him to all the fraud CEO bastards like Turtle, Jumbo, and other bullshitters who never accomplished anything themselves. Check out the video of him after a game talking to his 5-Star DB like he was his father. Or check-out his send-off from his current college that someone posted here earlier. 

And screw all the pussies on Twitter for calling him out for telling the current Colorado players exactly how life works. Those posters must all work at Starbucks, cause any job worth having is competitive. Get better or go somewhere else.  

Edited by TreatyOak
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

I absolutely love everything he does. He is authentically unique and knows how to connect with young people. Compare him to all the fraud CEO bastards like Turtle, Jumbo, and other bullshitters who never accomplished anything themselves. Check out the video of him after a game talking to his 5-Star DB like he was his father. Or check-out his send-off from his current college that someone posted here earlier. 

And screw all the pussies on Twitter for calling him out for telling the current Colorado players exactly how life works. Those posters must all work at Starbucks, cause any job worth having is competitive. Get better or go somewhere else.  

Not that I like them as people or want them coaching my team today, but as coaches those two have won a national championship and several NY6 bowls. It's almost like it's a different skillset.

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Not that I like them as people or want them coaching my team today, but as coaches those two have won a national championship and several NY6 bowls. It's almost like it's a different skillset.

Fair point on the wins, but fatass Jumbo looks and acts like he should be working the night shift at a call center and his 5-star players are fleeing his shitty coaching and management. How did this stupid, petty loser ever get his job? Oh yeah, Aggie. 

Turtle reeks of inauthenticity, incompetence and arrogance. The college coaching industry has an amazing ability to keep average, untalented retreads like him employed. 

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Say what you will about him but he’s damn  charismatic. 

Idk about charismatic. 
thinly veiled disgust and I can’t blame him. The kid that said he was the punter looks softer than fuck. And the one that barks up about how he tore his acl running down the field…. 

I don’t like Coach Prime at all and I understand the perception that he is putting all these players on the chopping block but holy fuck they look terrible and sound proud of it. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, closetohumping said:

calling my shot   Colorado will win at least five and be in a bowl next year

Isn’t 6 wins the requirement for bowl eligibility?

At a minimum, his tenure will be very interesting, highly scrutinized and well documented.   ESPN will most likely  set up a remote office on campus as this story is too good to ignore.

I hope Deion does well at CU.  If he does I wonder what his next step will be.  

42 minutes ago, deadshank said:

At a minimum, his tenure will be very interesting, highly scrutinized and well documented.   ESPN will most likely  set up a remote office on campus as this story is too good to ignore.

Seems destined for FSU, yeah? I guess that depends on Norvell’s success there, though. 

Typically a team or 2 at 5 wins has to play to fill ever spot for the either 41 or 42 bowls.
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

I only want coaches whose entrance song is "Chattahoochee".

I will accept "Friends in Low Places" in a pinch.

In no particular order, suggestions for coaches' entrance song to get the crowd hyped:

It's Raining Men

Man, I Feel Like a Woman

Girls Just Want to Have Fun

I'm Every Woman

Dancing Queen

This is the aggy thread, right........

There does seem to be a double standard for Black and White coaches, and we see some of that reflected here. Primetime is demonstrating to us what a Black man in our society faces. 

First it was going to Jackson State. 

Then it was the horrible decision for the 5-star DB to go to Jackson State. ("OMG, he's not going to get the crappy coaching he would get from the shitty, nameless, FSU coaches. Instead, he will have to learn from one of the greatest NFL players of all time. The horror!")

Then it was shade thrown by players and coaches of other SWAC schools. Remember, the "he's not SWAC" talk? Like anyone paid any attention to the conference before he came. 

Then it was leaving Jackson State. How can he betray them? Forget that he donated half of his salary back to the school and now reports are surfacing that the school withheld the money he was promised for selling more than 30K seats. So even while he was creating transformative exposure for them, they still screwed him! 

Then it was going to a White college. Heck, even I wrote here it was a "bad culture fit," so I'm guilty, too. 

Then, it was letting the hopelessly bad players from CU's 1-11 squad know that better players are coming. "OMG, he's telling those young men the truth! What a monster." Forget that while at USC, Pete Carroll would play the highlights of the incoming stars to the current roster, just to scare them out of complacency. 

What is interesting is that a lot of the most vitriolic hatred directed towards Primetime is coming from within the Black community. I'm not sure what to make of that. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

8 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

There does seem to be a double standard for Black and White coaches, and we see some of that reflected here. Primetime is demonstrating to us what a Black man in our society faces. 

Then it was the horrible decision for the 5-star DB to go to Jackson State. ("OMG, he's not going to get the crappy coaching he would get from the shitty, nameless, FSU coaches. Instead, he will have to learn from one of the greatest NFL players of all time. The horror!")

Then it was shade thrown by players and coaches of other SWAC schools. Remember, the "he's not SWAC" talk? Like anyone paid any attention to the conference before he came. 

Then it was leaving Jackson State. How can he betray them? Forget that he donated half of his salary back to the school and now reports are surfacing that the school withheld the money he was promised for selling more than 30K seats. So even while he was creating transformative exposure for them, they still screwed him! 

Then it was going to a White college. Heck, even I wrote here it was a "bad culture fit," so I'm guilty, too. 

Then, it was letting the hopelessly bad players from CU's 1-11 squad know that better players are coming. "OMG, he's telling those young men the truth! What a monster." Forget that while at USC, Pete Carroll would play the highlights of the incoming stars to the current roster, just to scare them out of complacency. 

What is interesting is that a lot of the most vitriolic hatred directed towards Primetime is coming from within the Black community. I'm not sure what to make of that. 

The reason i don't buy in is because i dislike "cult of personality" vibes. It has nothing to do with race or the fact that he probably wasn't the most honest guy with the people at JSU, or the fact that he told some crappy players on a 1-win football team to pack their shit because he wants to bring in dudes that can compete. That is all fine.

But he has a tough hill to climb. The best players are still going to want to be taken care of financially. It's going to take more than just being charismatic to get this done. I'm actually very curious to see how he does, if he can get the academic side to accept the shit he's going to have to pull, and how they will go about setting up NIL infrastructure to compete with bigger schools that have a more established culture in place. Another interesting dynamic will be if his son is really going to be the starter for them at QB. Is that actually the best option? How will it be handled if a better QB emerges? Even if his kid is really good, you need insurance in case he gets hurt. Will he be able to handle bringing in QB talent to compete with his own son?

With the playoff system expanding, it will be easier to make it in for a school like CU. They can lose multiple games, but they can still get to and win a conference championship and be in the dance. I think that's good for football overall.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

The reason i don't buy in is because i dislike "cult of personality" vibes. It has nothing to do with race or the fact that he probably wasn't the most honest guy with the people at JSU, or the fact that he told some crappy players on a 1-win football team to pack their shit because he wants to bring in dudes that can compete. That is all fine.

But he has a tough hill to climb. The best players are still going to want to be taken care of financially. It's going to take more than just being charismatic to get this done. I'm actually very curious to see how he does, if he can get the academic side to accept the shit he's going to have to pull, and how they will go about setting up NIL infrastructure to compete with bigger schools that have a more established culture in place. Another interesting dynamic will be if his son is really going to be the starter for them at QB. Is that actually the best option? How will it be handled if a better QB emerges? Even if his kid is really good, you need insurance in case he gets hurt. Will he be able to handle bringing in QB talent to compete with his own son?

With the playoff system expanding, it will be easier to make it in for a school like CU. They can lose multiple games, but they can still get to and win a conference championship and be in the dance. I think that's good for football overall.

You made lots of good points here, but to some degree, every successful coach or business person is his/her own personal brand. What I respond to is Prime's masterful media abilities to use his personal brand to make his program a success. Kids want to play for him-look at the responses to his Tweet asking for players. He is changing the recruiting game and is way more fun to follow than the usual dregs I've mentioned in previous posts. Like you, I think he's good for the game.      

• Hook 'Em 1

Deion Sanders’ Rocky Mountain high is a low for Black colleges

The Hall of Famer’s success at Jackson State, a historically Black college, brought joy to many. His move to Colorado left even more feeling betrayed

Andrew Lawrence  @by_drew   6 Dec 2022 

Say this much for Deion Sanders: He didn’t slink away under cover of darkness, quiet quit on the season or reach for another dog-eared page from the opportunist’s playbook.

Instead, the 55-year-old coach gathered up his Jackson State Tigers players one last time over the weekend and told them that, indeed, the breaking news was true – that the University of Colorado had hired him away. “It’s not about a bag,” he told the somber room. “I’ve been making money a long time and ain’t nowhere near broke. It is about an opportunity.”

As good ol’ fashion Mississippi scandals go, only the case swirling around Brett Favre tops this. Coach Prime, as he redubbed himself, is a singular phenomenon in sports, the great athlete who is also a great coach. He talks a good game too – rhyming like a preacher, turning podiums into pulpits, framing his coaching odyssey as a divine calling. “Usually, a coach is elevated or terminated,” he said of his new position in Colorado. If he sounds like a cleric, that’s because it’s one of many positions Sanders has occupied in his dizzyingly peripatetic career.

When Sanders arrived at Jackson in the fall of 2020, he didn’t just vow to turn around a program that had been a loser for much of the past decade. He said he’d flip the field for historically black colleges and universities to make “HBCUs” like Jackson State as attractive as predominantly white institutions like Colorado. And he was promising the moon at a time when the social justice movement had turned HBCUs into a cause for reparations.

And once again Sanders walked the talk, losing just five games out of 32, setting scoring records and selling out stadiums all the while. He lured away top recruits (starting with his quarterback son, Shedeur), prompted fellow NFL alums Eddie George and Hue Jackson to join him in the HBCU coaching ranks. He had ESPN covering the Tigers with intensity that’s typically reserved for the Dallas Cowboys or the Alabama Crimson Tide.

Sanders was right about the spotlight’s knack for finding him. It didn’t matter if he was peddling insurance in TV adverts with Bama’s Nick Saban, or getting stiff-armed out of a post game shug; little of what Sanders did at Jackson State went unnoticed. That he was also so generous about sharing his attention with the young Black men and women at Jackson State only further set him apart in a profession known for harboring white men with big egos and retrograde social values (ahem).

With the Colorado hire, Sanders becomes the 12th Black coach in college football’s top tier – and at a time when stalwarts like Florida Atlantic’s Willie Taggart and Stanford’s David Shaw are cycling out of their roles. It would be a shining moment for equity and fairness if it weren’t also such a dark day for HBCU football. Even though he ended his Jackson State tenure on a high note, winning a second straight conference championship last Saturday, the prevailing mood was downcast. “I think many Jackson State fans were holding out hope that the news wasn’t true, or he wouldn’t go through with it,” Tiffany Greene, who called Saturday’s game for ESPN, told me.

Sanders’ impact went far beyond Jackson State in his three years there, after all. He boosted the local economy and awareness of Jackson’s colleges and high schools. He shone a light on Jackson’s water crisis, which forced a shutdown of schools, colleges and businesses. Earlier this fall Sanders’ team survived on bottled water donations and lived in a hotel because of the water crisis; the cost, $15,000 a night, isn’t money Jackson State keeps lying around. “How can we go out there, dominate like that, and take a child back to something that is shut down and you have no water?” he said after the Tigers season opener. “You can’t even flush the darn toilet. You have to think about that stuff.”

Not only did Sanders appear to be invested in reviving HBCUs’ reputation for grooming pro talent like Walter Payton (Jackson State), Jerry Rice (Mississippi Valley State) and Shannon Sharpe (Savannah State), Coach Prime was fully engaged in the bigger, much trickier job of creating self-sustaining Black communities. That he had come so far in such a short period only heightened expectations. That there was still so much work to do didn’t matter because Sanders, reputation aside, kept cracking on. It didn’t seem long before the day would come when he cut the ribbon at a new stadium and punctuate the moment with news of a blockbuster HBCU television rights pact, or a similar tide that lifts all ships.

By staying at Jackson State, Sanders could have become even bigger than he ever was as a two-sport, twin Super Bowl-winning, double football hall of famer. Given that, as he says, he’s not hurting for money, he didn’t have to operate like some coach who paid his dues sleeping at the office while barely making minimum wage. Sanders could have been Jackson State’s version of Eddie G Robinson, the trailblazer who launched tiny Grambling State into a pigskin power – a coaching immortal. But now that Coach Prime is gone, well, much of that hope is too.

Nothing against Colorado. It’s a mint of a program, the Power Five equivalent of a double-digit miles Lamborghini. Before a decade-long swoon the Buffaloes ranked among college football’s elite, laying claim to the 1990 national championship and the 1994 Heisman trophy winner before an odious culture of alcohol and sex abuse toppled them. With Shedeur Sanders leading the parade of transfer students Coach Prime brings with him, there’s little reason to believe that the Buffaloes couldn’t dominate a listless Pac 12 conference and emerge as national title contenders soon.

The chance to compete at college football’s highest level wasn’t all that attracted Sanders. There was also the pay bump (to a reported $4.5m from $300,000, not that he needs the money – assuming Colorado can actually pay him) and the Buffaloes’ first-rate facilities. In his introductory news conference, Sanders praised Boulder as a “crime-free city.” For a Jackson State community currently grappling with a recent campus homicide case, the throwaway line must have stung.

Jackson State, though a notch below Colorado in the NCAA’s Football Championship Subdivision, was hardly a cakewalk for Coach Prime. He took the reins during Covid, has only recently recovered from having two toes amputated, and spent a chunk of this year working out of a hotel during the Jackson water crisis. His tenure kicked off with burglars ransacking his office. If those aren’t justifiable reasons to move on, consider the massive stage he just secured for his son – who is rounding into a top NFL draft prospect.

Sanders is clearly hurt by perceptions that he sold out his people by not just going west, but to city that’s 0.9% Black. “The thing that alarms me the most is just because I’m leaving Jackson, they think that I’m leaving African Americans,” Sanders thundered. “I don’t know if you’ve noticed or not, but I’m Black. I can never leave who I am, what I am, how I am or how I go about being that.”

Still: Without Jackson State taking him in and washing the stains of his checkered high school coaching career (once a resume sticking point), Sanders never reaches this Rocky Mountain high. But worse than seeing him take his man of the cleats act to another campus – but not before returning to lead Jackson State in the Celebration Bowl – is the realization that he is who he’s always been: a hired gun. He might not borrow from the opportunist’s playbook, but the game he’s playing at is no different.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

All of that is what runs around in people’s heads.  Nowadays it spills out into internet chat boards and 24 hour a day TV requiring air time to be filled with everyone’s thoughts and opinions.  95% is angst ridden drivel and unfounded hate.  

5% is informed news.  

He will still catch flak from who the starting QB is to recruiting to how he ties his shoes and everything else that can be scrutinized and nitpicked.

This is what our society has become.  

Deion has a shot at a bigger program.  If CU improves he will be set. 

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

A reporter once asked Mike Leach what the key was to developing a college QB. His reply was recruit a better QB to replace him. If your coach doesn’t have that attitude about his players your team probably isn’t in the upper echelon 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

I’m not seeing that, and I’m a Black. 

What I’m seeing is disappointment mostly because it was finally a SWAC schools’ chance at success, fame, ESPN, etc WITHOUT HAVING TO LEAVE THE SWAC.  The SWAC and MEAC (last 2 HBCU conferences) are in trouble because of $$$$. That’s why several of those universities have left for more “standard” conferences, and more are considering it (TSU, PV, Southern, and Grambling all considered leaving for the Southland—they wanted Sun Belt or CUSA from what I heard, but that wasn’t happening.)

I’m also confused as to why so many people on this board really give a shit about Deion at Colorado and Colorado football. Would this thread be 12 pages long if a coach from another low level conference took it? 

So I wouldn’t conflate vitriol with just disappointment. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

The Hall of Famer’s success at Jackson State, a historically Black college, brought joy to many. His move to Colorado left even more feeling betrayed

This is a lot of sour grapes. At Jackson State Sanders couldn’t even take his team to the playoffs. He had taken them as far as he could, and unless he wanted that to be his final destination he absolutely should have moved on. Plus the amount of corporate money he brought to the school dwarfs what he got from them. He will bring all that with him on a much bigger level at CU

• Hook 'Em 1

45 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Rhen it was the horrible decision for the 5-star DB to go to Jackson State. ("OMG, he's not going to get the crappy coaching he would get from the shitty, nameless, FSU coaches. Instead, he will have to learn from one of the greatest NFL players of all time. The horror!")

let me be 100% up front here - it was a horrible decision for him to go to Jackson State if his goal is to be drafted in the first round and play in the NFL, no matter who his coach is.

he is neglecting all of the other benefits you get from going to say Alabama or FSU here - the additional levels of high quality coaching by QC coaches, the "iron sharpens iron" thing of playing vs other (very) high quality players, the level of competition differences but also the very real S&C program differences, the nutrition program differences, the film process/study differences - all of it.

i don't care if he is living with Deion, being coached 24/7 by Deion and going to class with Deion, he is limiting his career options and the likelihood of going to the NFL based on S&C and nutrition alone.

by the way, this is also the case if he goes to any G5 school or even Colorado where they are building a lot of the support program up from the crap it has been the last few years.

he can go wherever he wants and he is legit and may get drafted high anyway, but the difference between going to say FSU, playing in the ACC for 3 years, FSU S&C/Nutrition programs and JSU is an incredible gulf.

I am not saying he can't do whatever he wants to or that he is wrong for it, but if you are a 5* player the goal is to be a top NFL draft pick, HBCU, FCS and G5 isn't putting yourself in the best position to be drafted in the top of the first round.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Thanks for sharing. Goes back to my point about so much hatred pointed at Primetime and the obstacles Black people face. Prime transforms the program at much personal financial cost, then moves on and is "betraying his community." Coach Jumbo secures a fortune for accomplishing nothing and, "he's a smart guy a with a great agent."  

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, texifornia said:

Jimbo won his title by bringing in a transcendent player and largely getting out of his own way.  I have no idea obviously how this will turn out, but we're seeing this "skillset" in real-time in B/CS and it's a glorious shit show that I hope carries on for another decade.

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

let me be 100% up front here - it was a horrible decision for him to go to Jackson State if his goal is to be drafted in the first round and play in the NFL, no matter who his coach is.

he is neglecting all of the other benefits you get from going to say Alabama or FSU here - the additional levels of high quality coaching by QC coaches, the "iron sharpens iron" thing of playing vs other (very) high quality players, the level of competition differences but also the very real S&C program differences, the nutrition program differences, the film process/study differences - all of it.

i don't care if he is living with Deion, being coached 24/7 by Deion and going to class with Deion, he is limiting his career options and the likelihood of going to the NFL based on S&C and nutrition alone.

by the way, this is also the case if he goes to any G5 school or even Colorado where they are building a lot of the support program up from the crap it has been the last few years.

he can go wherever he wants and he is legit and may get drafted high anyway, but the difference between going to say FSU, playing in the ACC for 3 years, FSU S&C/Nutrition programs and JSU is an incredible gulf.

I am not saying he can't do whatever he wants to or that he is wrong for it, but if you are a 5* player the goal is to be a top NFL draft pick, HBCU, FCS and G5 isn't putting yourself in the best position to be drafted in the top of the first round.

That kid raked in some big NIL deals and in all likelihood will be a 1st round draft pick anyway when the time comes. I really doubt he ruined his future as you suggest by going to JSU. Also the staff Deion put together at JSU was no joke, as they had more coaches with NFL experience than FSU did. And I don’t think the gap on S&C and nutrition is all that huge after the resources that got put into the JSU program. It’s not like FSU is Bama. 

8 minutes ago, NoName said:

also the very real S&C program differences,

I have encountered more than one S&C coach from elite D1 programs. They are not what you would call bright or even necessarily knowledgeable. What the best have in common seems to be the ability to cheat without getting caught wrt “supplements”

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Helobious said:

That kid raked in some big NIL deals and in all likelihood will be a 1st round draft pick anyway when the time comes. I really doubt he ruined his future as you suggest by going to JSU. Also the staff Deion put together at JSU was no joke, as they had more coaches with NFL experience than FSU did. And I don’t think the gap on S&C and nutrition is all that huge after the resources that got put into the JSU program. It’s not like FSU is Bama. 

ruined his future? what? how did you get that from what i said.

if you think that holistically there is no (major) difference between JSU and FSU as programs, we need to stop the discussion right now.

JSU's football budget in 2021 was $2.1 million and they spent about $20k of that as their recruiting budget.

FSU spent $9.49 million in football coaching salaries alone in 2021. They spent $1.8m on recruiting in 2020.

7 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I have encountered more than one S&C coach from elite D1 programs. They are not what you would call bright or even necessarily knowledgeable. What the best have in common seems to be the ability to cheat without getting caught wrt “supplements”

i am calling it S&C but it's the whole program "Sports Performance" not just weight lifting.