Deion Sanders "Coach Prime" Now At Colorado

Don Johnson

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

If CU makes the playoff, I'll be over the moon.  We all know he's not staying forever.  But if he can be really good for 2-3 years, it can set CU up to keep that going.  Now that the administration is on board (which they have not been since they ran Barnett out of town), there's no reason CU can't compete nationally again.

Did Deion set up JSU up for continued success or did he take a better job when offered taking a few good players with him?  I actually have no idea.  If the former though, why do you suspect things will be different this time?  Perhaps he will hire some amazing assistants that could take over when he departs?  I suspect he will either be an enormous bust or tremendous success but either way Colorado will be back to 2-10 when he is done being HC.  Thankfully Boulder is a badass place to live even when football sucks ass.  

Thankfully Boulder is a badass place to live even when football sucks ass.  

This is an absolutely true statement! I tried Colorado right out of HS in 1979. I went to maybe 14 classes in one semester. These were the pre AIDS worst thing you could imagine was herpes days! Boulder was where all the 70’s Hippies seemed to have settled, you could drink at 18 and no one gave a shit about weed place to be! Absolutely glorious time and place!

Needs to be a mutual cease fire between any pissed off people in the Sanders camp and any pissed off people in the JSU camp. Just keep pumping the "we love each other!" narrative and move on down the damn road.

That YT video starts off saying that if JSU wasn't so "shady" that Deion wouldn't have left. That's bullshit. It's like a divorce. It can go down clean or it can go nasty, but it's going to go down.

This kind of bullshit drama hurts everyone involved.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If JSU was being funny with the money that is indefensible. However, I want to see some real receipts not just internet talk.

But, all the folks(not just on here) taking shots at JSU and the SWAC need to remember exactly why Coach Prime was at JSU to begin with. And it wasn't just because he was called to do it. It was because not even the Colorado's of the world were letting him become a head coach just like that. Don't let that factoid get lost in all the hype.

Both sides benefitted from the deal. But Deion definitely benefitted more. That's not really debatable. 

Edited by Brothahorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

This is an absolutely true statement! I tried Colorado right out of HS in 1979. I went to maybe 14 classes in one semester. These were the pre AIDS worst thing you could imagine was herpes days! Boulder was where all the 70’s Hippies seemed to have settled, you could drink at 18 and no one gave a shit about weed place to be! Absolutely glorious time and place!

Does he ski?

On 12/9/2022 at 11:16 PM, MirrOlure said:

This whole thing will be an unmitigated disaster for both parties. It’ll be hilarious.

I don't know I fully expected his tenure at JSU to be an unmitigated disaster because of the Prime Prep debacle and all he did was go 27-5 which is definitely not disastrous. He has pulled in some reputable coaches to CU and so barring some sort of NCAA crackdown on him and CU for portal shenanigans I doubt it will be an unmitigated disaster this round either.

1 hour ago, Pimphand said:

I don't know I fully expected his tenure at JSU to be an unmitigated disaster because of the Prime Prep debacle and all he did was go 27-5 which is definitely not disastrous. He has pulled in some reputable coaches to CU and so barring some sort of NCAA crackdown on him and CU for portal shenanigans I doubt it will be an unmitigated disaster this round either.

The difference is that the CU admin and academic culture are overall hostile to resources being spent on athletics. That’s why the last few coaches have failed. I’m optimistic that this will be a wonderful disaster that we all get to watch. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nnm said:

The difference is that the CU admin and academic culture are overall hostile to resources being spent on athletics. That’s why the last few coaches have failed. I’m optimistic that this will be a wonderful disaster that we all get to watch. 

This will also explain why Stanford will never be as good as they were before NIL.

Admin is satisfied with water polo and gymnastics titles.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

Both sides benefitted from the deal. But Deion definitely benefitted more. That's not really debatable. 

Yes, but for two huge reasons:

1 - Deion earned the come-up through a ridiculously successful effort

Eddie George is another ex-NFL star who went to coach an HBCU. His overall record in two years is 9-13. Sanders went 15-5 his first two years (27-5 overall). (Both their schools were ~.300 the year before each arrived)

Deion won on the field. Deion reinvested HEAVILY in his school and community. Deion brought massive attention to JSU and, of course, himself. George hasn't won, and if George has reinvested heavily in his school and community, we the general public have no idea. And all that hype isn't an accident, it takes intelligence and skill, and it actually does matter a hell of a lot. I guarantee you that TState's players would like all the attention and money coming to JSU's kids.

And George is in Nashville. Just imagine Primetime Neon Deion selling Nashville. At Titans games and such.

2 - His ceiling is way higher than JSU's (or any other HBCU's) in relative terms

There is only so high any HBCU is going to climb, no matter who the coach is or how many times they win the SWAC (or OVC in George's case). Looking at it from the outside (in racial and demographic terms) I don't see what else Sanders could have accomplished for JSU/HBCUs. Him leaving sucks specifically because he did so much.

Overall, I would love for JSU to stay on the best possible terms with him, because it's best for them. Keep the train rolling as much as possible.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Yes, but for two huge reasons:

1 - Deion earned the come-up through a ridiculously successful effort

Eddie George is another ex-NFL star who went to coach an HBCU. His overall record in two years is 9-13. Sanders went 15-5 his first two years (27-5 overall). (Both their schools were ~.300 the year before each arrived)

Deion won on the field. Deion reinvested HEAVILY in his school and community. Deion brought massive attention to JSU and, of course, himself. George hasn't won, and if George has reinvested heavily in his school and community, we the general public have no idea. And all that hype isn't an accident, it takes intelligence and skill, and it actually does matter a hell of a lot. I guarantee you that TState's players would like all the attention and money coming to JSU's kids.

And George is in Nashville. Just imagine Primetime Neon Deion selling Nashville. At Titans games and such.

2 - His ceiling is way higher than JSU's (or any other HBCU's) in relative terms

There is only so high any HBCU is going to climb, no matter who the coach is or how many times they win the SWAC (or OVC in George's case). Looking at it from the outside (in racial and demographic terms) I don't see what else Sanders could have accomplished for JSU/HBCUs. Him leaving sucks specifically because he did so much.

Overall, I would love for JSU to stay on the best possible terms with him, because it's best for them. Keep the train rolling as much as possible.

I agree with this. By all indications, Deion heavily invested his own money into the JSU program. and now he claims monies were withheld from him and the players by the administration. Yet, as @Pancho informed us, people in the Black community are disappointed in him for leaving the school and turning away from the conference. 

Mind you, players from other teams and their coaches disrespected him, claiming that he wasn't authentically a member of the conference (in press conferences!) which is fairly unbelievable. Additionally, his office was robbed and several items precious to him were stolen. He even helped pay for lodging and food when the water shortage forced the team to leave the school. 

Compare how Deion contributed to his program to say, how Jimbo is robbing A&M, or Mack actively trying to destroy the program during his last few days.  

I once worked at a small company where the owner provided jobs, promotions, parties, food, entertainment and gosh, paychecks to all our staff. Yet everyone was always angry at her, complained endlessly, blamed and even hated her. As the old saying goes, "No good deed ever goes unpunished."  

Edited by TreatyOak

24 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Mind you, players from other teams and their coaches disrespected him, claiming that he wasn't authentically a member of the conference (in press conferences!) which is fairly unbelievable.

Eddie Robinson Jr said "he (Sanders) ain't SWAC, I'm SWAC". Eddie Robinson Sr is THE legend. Coached from WWII to the late 90s at Grambling.

It's a club and Deion was an outsider, simple as that. Robinson Jr is a prince in a small, insular kingdom. He's essentially talking street cred and Sanders is playing an entirely different game, and it hurts Jr's feelings. (Also, Jr lost on the field, which doesn't help.)

Robinson explains it here (skip to a minute in to avoid promos)

There's a push/pull in terms of how you feel as an HBCU community member. 

On the one hand, you are proud of what it is and you think it's good enough as it is. But on the other hand,  you see where it maybe COULD go and how it is failing in certain ways. So do you admit the need for change and growth and jeopardize your pride? Or do you reject change and growth in favor of maintaining your pride?

[edit]

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

New President is making big changes there.

46 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Eddie Robinson Jr said "he (Sanders) ain't SWAC, I'm SWAC". Eddie Robinson Sr is THE legend. Coached from WWII to the late 90s at Grambling.

It's a club and Deion was an outsider, simple as that. Robinson Jr is a prince in a small, insular kingdom. He's essentially talking street cred and Sanders is playing an entirely different game, and it hurts Jr's feelings. (Also, Jr lost on the field, which doesn't help.)

Robinson explains it here (skip to a minute in to avoid promos)

There's a push/pull in terms of how you feel as an HBCU community member. 

On the one hand, you are proud of what it is and you think it's good enough as it is. But on the other hand,  you see where it maybe COULD go and how it is failing in certain ways. So do you admit the need for change and growth and jeopardize your pride? Or do you reject change and growth in favor of maintaining your pride?

I hear you and this is a good post. But Robinson trashing the man who brought more attention to the league in two years than there had been in the last twenty looks really petty and is fairly insulting to Deion.

And yes, these are complex issues of underfunding, state systems hogging all the money (I'm looking at you, Texas and Texas A&M) and systemic racism. 

58 minutes ago, boilerhorn said:

Is this the modern day equivalent of calling Deion an Uncle Tom?

SWAC people should kiss both sides of Deion's ass after how he raised their profile the past 3 years with national media coverage they NEVER received.

But, they're used to playing the victim card.

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

SWAC people should kiss both sides of Deion's ass after how he raised their profile the past 3 years with national media coverage they NEVER received.

But, they're used to playing the victim card.

Would be interesting for you to explain what you mean by this.

I think the "SWAC people" who are angry with Deion about this is relatively low. It's not that much different than people getting mad at Local HS Star for going out-of-state instead of to Hometown U. There's really not any need to do the thing you're obviously doing here.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Just to be clear, Alabama State HC Eddie Robinson is not the son of legendary Grambling HC Eddie Robinson. There is no relation at all.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

I actually hope Colorado becomes good again.  As I enjoyed playing them when they were good in the early big 12 years.  Mainly, I enjoyed my Colorado tailgate parties, as I liked eating Buffalo burgers when they came to town.  It will be interesting to see how Sanders fares. I hated him as a Houston fan, and for me his personality is too over the top.  But it is a brand for him, and young kids will buy into that swag.  You get enough of them and you dan do pretty well.  

What will be most interesting to me is can he build a TEAM?  I thought Sanders was an amazing talent and a shitty teammate.  I also think he will feast on the malcontents of the transfer portal, especially those that other coaches view as a character issue. But I will be curious to see how they deal with the adversity that certainly will come.

But I do miss those mascot buffalo burgers.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/10/2022 at 12:52 PM, Brothahorn said:

If JSU was being funny with the money that is indefensible. However, I want to see some real receipts not just internet talk.

But, all the folks(not just on here) taking shots at JSU and the SWAC need to remember exactly why Coach Prime was at JSU to begin with. And it wasn't just because he was called to do it. It was because not even the Colorado's of the world were letting him become a head coach just like that. Don't let that factoid get lost in all the hype.

Meme Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

On 12/5/2022 at 1:55 PM, bad_teammate said:

I believe ctj 100% when he says their NIL isn't even conceived, much less in an infancy, so big names will need to believe in the Deion narrative to move, and I think selling that narrative to HS recruits is way more feasible than selling it to guys who are already working in the system.

My bets.

2023: 4 wins and a top 20 recruiting class (2024)
2024: 7 wins and a top 15 recruiting class (2025)
2025: "God has called me to be an agent of change in Starkville, MS..."

But most importantly, a shitload of entertainment.

On 12/5/2022 at 2:02 PM, Nueces River Rat said:

Why would Starkville get rid of The Pirate?   

On 12/5/2022 at 2:26 PM, bad_teammate said:

Finally getting the Buccaneers job.

:( :( 

I'm wondering if Travis Hunter follows him to CU, or if he finally wants to play for a proven coach (or a coach at a good program) now? Same with Kevin Coleman.

I had never seen Deion's kid play before today, but Shedeur is a pretty damn good college qb. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana
  • Hook 'Em 1