Deion Sanders "Coach Prime" Now At Colorado

Don Johnson

I'm wondering if Travis Hunter follows him to CU, or if he finally wants to play for a proven coach (or a coach at a good program) now? Same with Kevin Coleman.

I had never seen Deion's kid play before today, but Shedeur is a pretty damn good college qb. 
Hunter is following him, can't remember where I saw it but he's one of the "dogs" Deion was talking about during his speech.

This whole thing will be interesting. The step up in competition from SWAC/MEAC to Pac12 is ridiculously large. Then to have to get TCU first game, although they're probably losing a lot after this season. 

I think they're in line to be shell shocked then will have to adjust. If they manage to have a decently good 6 to 7 win team by year 2 I'll be impressed. That will be quite an accomplishment.

35 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

This whole thing will be interesting. The step up in competition from SWAC/MEAC to Pac12 is ridiculously large. Then to have to get TCU first game, although they're probably losing a lot after this season. 

I think they're in line to be shell shocked then will have to adjust. If they manage to have a decently good 6 to 7 win team by year 2 I'll be impressed. That will be quite an accomplishment.

I think you are underselling how many transfers and good players Deion is going to sign. They will have time to adjust. It may not be Quentin Johnson and Taye Barber level competition, but it's not like that will be the first time they ever see dudes that run 4.4 and under. 

36 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I think you are underselling how many transfers and good players Deion is going to sign. They will have time to adjust. It may not be Quentin Johnson and Taye Barber level competition, but it's not like that will be the first time they ever see dudes that run 4.4 and under. 

No, you’re right. He has seen guys who can run. However, now he will see an entire team of guys who can run.

Including 320 lb defensive linemen who are fast and extremely athletic. That he ain’t seen much of.

7 hours ago, Mother mopar said:
8 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:
I'm wondering if Travis Hunter follows him to CU, or if he finally wants to play for a proven coach (or a coach at a good program) now? Same with Kevin Coleman.

I had never seen Deion's kid play before today, but Shedeur is a pretty damn good college qb. 

Hunter is following him, can't remember where I saw it but he's one of the "dogs" Deion was talking about during his speech.

I know I saw his tweet where he said "I'm coming with you, coach", but really didn't think too much of it considering kids these days will say anything. Plus I'm wondering if anyone else will come with a better NIL package, assuming that matters to him. 

1 hour ago, 59 Burst said:

No, you’re right. He has seen guys who can run. However, now he will see an entire team of guys who can run.

Including 320 lb defensive linemen who are fast and extremely athletic. That he ain’t seen much of.

He’s faced tougher competition than Arch Manning at this point. He will be fine

1 minute ago, Sawbonz said:

He’s faced tougher competition than Arch Manning at this point. He will be fine

Oh, absolutely. I’m just stating the obvious as it relates to the level of competition.

Arch had nothing to do with the conversation. Though the two high school games I watched Arch play…….he lost….badly.

Just now, 59 Burst said:

Oh, absolutely. I’m just stating the obvious as it relates to the level of competition.

Arch had nothing to do with the conversation. Though the two high school games I watched Arch play…….he lost….badly.

If your point is you don’t think Sanders will be able to handle tougher competition because he hasn’t yet faced tougher competition Arch (or any hyped incoming player who has only faced weak opponents) is a fair comparison. If you’re just taking a wait and see attitude I can see that for sure. 

10 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

If your point is you don’t think Sanders will be able to handle tougher competition because he hasn’t yet faced tougher competition Arch (or any hyped incoming player who has only faced weak opponents) is a fair comparison. If you’re just taking a wait and see attitude I can see that for sure. 

Yeah, most definitely wait and see.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Bobby Layne said:

Rant has some  do know Aurora is eastend of Denver. Like Texas medical school being in Galveston or Htown. Only recently did we get Dell in Austin. Boulder does not have medial school. 

Sorry folks. Spell check is not my friend. Rant has some merit. Also, Aurora is east of Denver. No medical school in CU Boulder. 

On 12/18/2022 at 10:37 AM, Bobby Layne said:

Rant has some  do know Aurora is eastend of Denver. Like Texas medical school being in Galveston or Htown. Only recently did we get Dell in Austin. Boulder does not have medial school. 

You're comparing the Denver metro area to Galveston?  Lulz.  It is the University of Colorado School of Medicine.  Why would it have to be in Boulder?  Denver makes much more sense since the major hospitals in Colorado are in Denver.

On 12/18/2022 at 11:37 AM, Bobby Layne said:

Boulder is basically an outer suburb of Denver. It's closer to downtown Denver than Allen is to downtown Dallas.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, C-Man said:

Boulder is basically an outer suburb of Denver. 

I’m going to give that a big NO. “The People’s Republic of Boulder” is not a suburb,

Boulder made a decision ~ 50 years ago to create a buffer so they would never become anything like a suburb of Denver.  Along the Boulder Turnpike and the Front Range, the City of Boulder has bought enough land over time to create ~ 5 mile buffer between Boulder and the inevitable growth coming from Denver.  Other than being in Colorado, Boulder has little in common w/ Denver and the it’s suburbs. 

It’s so sad to see the foresight Boulder planners had compared to the development cluster fuck that has consumed Austin.

I’ve never been to Allen, but I imagine it is similar to the countless well to do suburbs that border most major cities in America.  Having lived on the edge of the buffer in Boulder County, please don’t put the City of Boulder in the same sentence as some Texas suburb, to avoid anyone thinking there might be any similarity between the two.

image.thumb.jpeg.93509803099a942a5e77cc8dc911c180.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.15b41a53f11da18ec3a06e461bf6b5b7.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, PTINS said:

I’m going to give that a big NO. “The People’s Republic of Boulder” is not a suburb,

Boulder made a decision ~ 50 years ago to create a buffer so they would never become anything like a suburb of Denver.  Along the Boulder Turnpike and the Front Range, the City of Boulder has bought enough land over time to create ~ 5 mile buffer between Boulder and the inevitable growth coming from Denver.  Other than being in Colorado, Boulder has little in common w/ Denver and the it’s suburbs. 

It’s so sad to see the foresight Boulder planners had compared to the development cluster fuck that has consumed Austin.

I’ve never been to Allen, but I imagine it is similar to the countless well to do suburbs that border most major cities in America.  Having lived on the edge of the buffer in Boulder County, please don’t put the City of Boulder in the same sentence as some Texas suburb, to avoid anyone thinking there might be any similarity between the two.

image.jpeg

Geographically, Boulder is a suburb of Denver.  You are correct about how the city has isolated itself from development, but that doesn't change the fact that Boulder is a ~20-25 min drive to downtown Denver.  

Boulder's open space has created a lot of problems in Boulder, notably severely limiting affordable housing options.  The median house in Boulder is over $1.5 million.  I saw a post on reddit last week from a guy who makes $400k and can't afford a house he likes in Boulder.  Coach Prime, who certainly has plenty of money, has made comments about the cost of housing in Boulder.  It's not all roses and sunshine.  And other suburbs of Denver have lots of outdoor options.  Boulder does not have a monopoly on that.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Hook 'Em 2

31 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Boulder's open space has created a lot of problems in Boulder, notably severely limiting affordable housing options.  The median house in Boulder is over $1.5 million.  I saw a post on reddit last week from a guy who makes $400k and can't afford a house he likes in Boulder.  Coach Prime, who certainly has plenty of money, has made comments about the cost of housing in Boulder. 

In every instance I was looking for a new house in the Austin area, there has been a house I liked that I could not afford.  That's par for the course.  The house I could not afford was better than what I purchased.  Such is life in Austin, Boulder, etc.

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Geographically, Boulder is a suburb of Denver.  You are correct about how the city has isolated itself from development, but that doesn't change the fact that Boulder is a ~20-25 min drive to downtown Denver.  

Boulder's open space has created a lot of problems in Boulder, notably severely limiting affordable housing options.  The median house in Boulder is over $1.5 million.  I saw a post on reddit last week from a guy who makes $400k and can't afford a house he likes in Boulder.  Coach Prime, who certainly has plenty of money, has made comments about the cost of housing in Boulder.  It's not all roses and sunshine.  And other suburbs of Denver have lots of outdoor options.  Boulder does not have a monopoly on that.

Boulder is expensive as fuck but that’s like saying I want a rolls Royce but can only afford a Maserati 

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

So (i) is Dallas a suburb of Ft. Worth, or (ii) is Ft. Worth a suburb of Dallas, or (iii) neither?

I don’t think anybody in Boulder thinks affordable housing.is a problem.  There is none, by design. They used to “control/limit” population growth ~ 1%/yr. I imagine it is less than that now. They never wanted growth.  Buying a bungalow on a decent size lot, tearing it down, and building a McMansion doesn’t happen.

Boulder hasn’t had a middle class in ~ 40-50 years. Rich people and students, most of which are trust fund babies. The people I knew who owned property in Boulder also owned a winery in Napa. The young girl who asked me for spare change in 1993 had braces and diamond earrings.

Colorado is nothing but an outdoor option.

I was born in Austin, and lived on a beach across the bay from Destin, Florida in the early 60’s, and have seen what going from a picturesque, pristine paradise to a people populated poop pot looks like.

Boulder is unique. 

14 hours ago, PTINS said:

I was born in Austin, and lived on a beach across the bay from Destin, Florida in the early 60’s, and have seen what going from a picturesque, pristine paradise to a people populated poop pot looks like.

Boulder is unique. 

^^ That's a nifty bit of alliteration if I do say so myself.

2 hours ago, NoName said:

where are you seeing this? not on twitter, reddit, anywhere i am seeing. literally yesterday they talked about his 4 finalist schools (Colorado + USC/UGA/Miami)?

Saw it on Facebook last night, so it has to be true.  However, I can’t find that post or maybe I was drunk, so I guess he’s still a free agent?  I guess the bridge was burned at FSU. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/19/2022 at 6:26 PM, PTINS said:

image.jpeg

Shit Talking Blah Blah Blah GIF by UFC

On 12/19/2022 at 8:43 PM, PTINS said:

So (i) is Dallas a suburb of Ft. Worth, or (ii) is Ft. Worth a suburb of Dallas, or (iii) neither?

The biggest sports franchise ($) in the world isn't called the Ft. Worth Cowboys now is it?

Edited by Hermanator
  • Haha 3

1.5 hours of Deion and Shannon Sharpe.

Starting at 34:08 you see that Deion is passionate about this for sincere reasons. He loves the kids.

I've already been a believer, but I don't know how someone looks at this and doesn't believe that his man is 100% genuine. Prime Prep whatever, this dude was not bussing little kids to games for some scam. This isn't a con. For all his faults and all his blind spots and failures, this dude is genuinely excited by the idea of helping raise young men. It matters to him.

"You see how I get excited when talkin' about my babies?"

Legitimately holding back emotion saying that some of those same kids (who he brought to his 2011 HOF induction) are getting ready to come play college ball.

Prime Prep talk starts ~37 minutes. Very short section.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Starting at 34:08 you see that Deion is passionate about this for sincere reasons. He loves the kids.

I've already been a believer, but I don't know how someone looks at this and doesn't believe that his man is 100% genuine. Prime Prep whatever, this dude was not bussing little kids to games for some scam. This isn't a con. For all his faults and all his blind spots and failures, this dude is genuinely excited by the idea of helping raise young men. It matters to him.

Legitimately holding back emotion saying that some of those same kids (who he brought to his 2011 HOF induction) are getting ready to come play college ball.

Mostly agree, but I do think the Prime Prep is a black eye and a complete grift and scam as someone who personally knew someone who signed up and went back in the day and got to watch second-hand.

That said, again, I mostly agree with you about him. What I remember a lot about his genuineness too was him calling out his son:

• Haha 5

image.thumb.jpeg.aa78734aed98563e041596d8cec83703.jpeg

Boulder’s leadership is more akin to Berkeley than anywhere else. Radical in speech while building what is much closer to Highland Park economically. It is challenging to be in retail there due to regulations; the workforce lives elsewhere to serve the haughty elites who have limited development so severely the properties serve as a barrier to the riff raft they purport to be so concerned about.

A few years back we lived in Broomfield which seceded from Boulder County and took its substantial sales tax revenue with it.
  • Hook 'Em 5

52 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Boulder’s leadership is more akin to Berkeley than anywhere else. Radical in speech while building what is much closer to Highland Park economically. It is challenging to be in retail there due to regulations; the workforce lives elsewhere to serve the haughty elites who have limited development so severely the properties serve as a barrier to the riff raft they purport to be so concerned about.

A few years back we lived in Broomfield which seceded from Boulder County and took its substantial sales tax revenue with it.

Boulder, Adams and Jefferson counties.  Broomfield was located in all 3.  Katy has the same issue.

20 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Perhaps I'm just jaded, but when push comes to shove, Deion will always look out for Deion #1. The best conmen are those that get you to believe what they are saying. If he bolts for the NFL in 5 years, is he still ALL about the kids? 

Edit to add: And looking out for #1 is not necessarily a crime. But he is a very skilled pitchman. Always has been. Its what drove all the marketing money he made as PrimeTime. College athletics is dirty as fuck, thats no surprise. Plenty of people have been "all about the kids" while making tidy amounts of money. I think Deion will be successful in Boulder (certainly by CU standards). He is tailor made for this era of football. I actually look forward to it, I just dont buy into the all the BS that he projects.

Edited by Blotto
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

https://media.tenor.com/X3WftcBhg7YAAAAC/south-park.gif

I don't see him as more of a con-man than any of the more boring, less interesting, less flashy dudes out there. I think people overthink this because he actually has a personality, which is something basically no other NCAA coaches have other than Kiffin and Leach (RIP). It's a hard sell to tell me Sanders is more of a con-man than Jimbo Fisher or Tom Herman or any number of others we could name easily.

About 34 minutes in, Sharpe says he's been asking Deion why he is so patient coaching little kids for the last 20 years. Sharpe brings up Sanders bringing a ton of little kids to his own HOF induction in 2011. That's wild.

If it's the guy's long-con plan to flip an HBCU gig for Colorado, I don't know where bussing little kids to games for a decade+ ahead of time factors in.

The path for a guy like Sanders to coaching $$ is already pretty well-established. He could've had any number of big 6A jobs or Jackson-style jobs at the same time he was coaching little kids and this whole cycle would've started a decade earlier. 6A Texas HS job -> small NCAA -> mid NCAA -> big NCAA/NFL. Simple.

This dude's path is way more complicated and I think the very clear throughline is his kids. He starts coaching b/c of his boys and he wanted to be directly involved the whole way through. If ANYTHING, if I'm a CU fan I'm worried that Shadeur goes off this year, gets drafted, and Deion tries to get his way into the NFL to stay on the sidelines with Shadeur. Or I'm wondering where his fire goes once both his sons are out of NCAA ball entirely.

52 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I don't see him as more of a con-man than any of the more boring, less interesting, less flashy dudes out there. I think people overthink this because he actually has a personality, which is something basically no other NCAA coaches have other than Kiffin and Leach (RIP). It's a hard sell to tell me Sanders is more of a con-man than Jimbo Fisher or Tom Herman or any number of others we could name easily.

About 34 minutes in, Sharpe says he's been asking Deion why he is so patient coaching little kids for the last 20 years. Sharpe brings up Sanders bringing a ton of little kids to his own HOF induction in 2011. That's wild.

If it's the guy's long-con plan to flip an HBCU gig for Colorado, I don't know where bussing little kids to games for a decade+ ahead of time factors in.

The path for a guy like Sanders to coaching $$ is already pretty well-established. He could've had any number of big 6A jobs or Jackson-style jobs at the same time he was coaching little kids and this whole cycle would've started a decade earlier. 6A Texas HS job -> small NCAA -> mid NCAA -> big NCAA/NFL. Simple.

This dude's path is way more complicated and I think the very clear throughline is his kids. He starts coaching b/c of his boys and he wanted to be directly involved the whole way through. If ANYTHING, if I'm a CU fan I'm worried that Shadeur goes off this year, gets drafted, and Deion tries to get his way into the NFL to stay on the sidelines with Shadeur. Or I'm wondering where his fire goes once both his sons are out of NCAA ball entirely.

No, it's because he ran a fraudulent and borderline criminal scheme with the Prime Prep Academy almost a decade ago that fucked a ton of people over and got sued into oblivion. That's why it's hard to trust the guy. His actions were shady as shit there and his celebrity is probably what saved him from criminal proceedings. 

Now maybe he's learned from that and has good intentions now and isn't looking to break all rules and screw over people here. Hopefully that's it, and I just hope win or lose that he does right by the students. But don't act like it's all because he's flashy and black or whatever that people don't trust him. He's got to earn it after the shit he pulled before and the way he acted about it all. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I don't disagree. College football is full of conmen and coaches of questionable character. But nobody cares if you can win. Take a guy like Hugh Freeze. Dude made it all the way back to a SEC coaching gig and a $6.5M salary in 6 years. there were plenty of candidates that would be better role models than freeze, but not too many that would win more football games. I doubt anyone at Auburn believes his religious bullshit, but they all nod approvingly. 

Like I said, I'm rooting for Deion to do well because it makes the sport more entertaining. Whatever misconceptions I had in my younger days about college athletics keeping the benefit of the  "student athlete" in mind have long since disappeared. "For the kids" is as laughable when Deion talks about JSU or Colorado as it was when he started Prime Prep Academy. But no more laughable than when I hear University presidents say the same thing about their athletics programs while coaches  trapdoor recruits because they think they can notch a couple more in the win column. "For the kids" went out the fucking door when universities found themselves several hundred million dollars in debt for stadium expansions. The tail wags the dog these days. 

I watched that whole interview last week. I love this guy more the more I listen to what he says.

I'm under no illusion that CU keeps him long term, but he's one of one.