Deion Sanders "Coach Prime" Now At Colorado

Don Johnson

On 5/7/2023 at 9:45 AM, Lidig8r said:

Dude... they are a 1 - 11 team which lost by an average of 31.8 points per every loss.

On offense, they averaged 17 points a game. (take into account that after the score got out of control, they were playing against 5th string defenses).

They have not won a road game since the "Vid Year" of 2020.

The stench of losing must permeate every inch of that locker room.

They are like that patient which has a combination of pancreatic cancer,  stage 4 lung cancer, advanced liver disease, ALS, brain tumor and erectile dysfunction.

Clean house.

With the exception of that 1 win, it literally cannot get worse.

Literally?

On 5/10/2023 at 6:37 PM, bad_teammate said:

You're given the Colorado job in December 2022, what do you do?

Option A: Stand mostly pat with the guys you've got from the 1-11 squad. Drive 'em down to Junction to Coach 'Em Up. They told the press they had a ton of fun going 1-11 but you're going to Lunchpail Coach 'em into success by god! They're gonna make a movie out of this!

Option B: Send the 1-11 players away. Fill up on SEC/FSU castaways. See if whatever got major program coaches excited in the first place is still in there somewhere and maybe you can pull it out of them with personality swag and promises of money in the future.

Me? I'm taking B every time.

There's no option where I entice Maye and Corum and Brock Bowers and Kool-Aid to transfer in. I'm at Colorado with limited money and a pathetic recent history.

You are creating a false choice to debate around. His choices were not do nothing to the roster or blow the entire thing up. He could have done both develop the talent he had and churn the roster to a degree. His ruthless, mercenary strategy is going to have consequences. All he needed to do is show improvement and trajectory in year one. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Newy25 said:

You are creating a false choice to debate around. His choices were not do nothing to the roster or blow the entire thing up. He could have done both develop the talent he had and churn the roster to a degree. His ruthless, mercenary strategy is going to have consequences. All he needed to do is show improvement and trajectory in year one. 

This is true. My first impression of how I would have managed it is by weeding out the worst of the worst first, getting rid of other players as I find willing and available options in the portal. I probably would have tried to identify and motivate that segment of the team that looked like it could go from loser to winner. On the flipside, every single player on that roster had already voted with his feet to stay on a team with a pervasive culture of both losing and being ok with it in an era that facilitates mobility.

5 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Exactly this.

It’s the volume of the purge that was stupid, not to mention the timing of doing it after spring ball.

He should have focused on a small number of high-impact positions to purge, and he damn well needed to be sure he had better options lined up and ready to jump from the portal.  That way he could have benefited from an influx of better talent at key positions AND the development and program-consistency of the group of players who he was unlikely to find material improvements this late in the portal. Then he could have made another round of purges following next season when he had a better idea on what some of the returning players could do after another year of development under his staff.

Instead all he’s doing is likely brining in a large number of new players who are not materially better than the ones he let go (on the whole). Thus, all he did was boot out institutional knowledge and make his coaching job even harder next fall when he’s trying to familiarize 1/4 or more of the roster on the playbooks, schemes, etc., and get them to gel as a team.

• Hook 'Em 2

Did his Louis luggage get lost? 

And if the coach declares his son the starting QB before one practice, it's called "Daddy Ball". This is going to be spectacular. He's going to throw everyone else under the bus when shit goes sideways and CU will have a mutiny on their hands

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

Literally?

Yes, literally. There are only two realistic options for how it could get worse.

Option 1: Zero wins.

Option 2: The university gives up football and the team is disbanded.

So perhaps technically, the statement should have been, "Only two realistic options exist which argue otherwise and except for those two option, it literally cannot get worse."

But, this is Surly. Fewer words. More inanities.

Carry on.

On 5/10/2023 at 6:37 PM, bad_teammate said:

You're given the Colorado job in December 2022, what do you do?

Option A: Stand mostly pat with the guys you've got from the 1-11 squad. Drive 'em down to Junction to Coach 'Em Up. They told the press they had a ton of fun going 1-11 but you're going to Lunchpail Coach 'em into success by god! They're gonna make a movie out of this!

Option B: Send the 1-11 players away. Fill up on SEC/FSU castaways. See if whatever got major program coaches excited in the first place is still in there somewhere and maybe you can pull it out of them with personality swag and promises of money in the future.

Me? I'm taking B every time.

There's no option where I entice Maye and Corum and Brock Bowers and Kool-Aid to transfer in. I'm at Colorado with limited money and a pathetic recent history.

Grand Junction Boys….

On 5/10/2023 at 6:21 PM, Jkwellborn said:

When I was in high school biology, a buddy of mine managed to write the answers on a pencil. He got off by one on the scantron. It was pretty funny to see his face when he got the grade back.

Our high school paid us as seniors to paint the “science” room. The teacher had been there for decades and never changes his true false multiple choice questions. We stole copies and printed out tiny little slips and slid them into clear bic pens. At the end of the year the teacher called us all out cheating but admitted he couldn’t figure out how we did it and he had a pretty good laugh. 

4 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Thus, all he did was boot out institutional knowledge and make his coaching job even harder next fall when he’s trying to familiarize 1/4 or more of the roster on the playbooks, schemes, etc., and get them to gel as a team.

What experience did the previous players have with Deion and his new coaching staff? Also, what institutional knowledge was important to preserve from a complete dogshit team?

We'll find out when the season plays out, I guess.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Aranda coached the 2 win team though right? And Rhule went from 1 win to 11 over 3 seasons after the post Briles placeholder won 7. 

Yes. Of course, the 2 win team only played 9 games.

There were some of those shitty two win players that turned in to relatively high NFL draft picks.

Cu may have been a different level of bad. But I’d bet there’s a number of players let go that could develop into solid players.
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

But I’d bet there’s a number of players let go that could develop into solid players.

It’s possible. Aranda presumably had some players left from the 11 win team. CU hasn’t won more than 5 games since 2016. The 2022 team had a roster of 22 starters that were able to win 1 game and another 60 or so who couldn’t beat those starters out. I don’t see the downside to what he’s doing other than PR. I guess if he goes winless, but I just don’t see that happening 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It’s possible. Aranda presumably had some players left from the 11 win team. CU hasn’t won more than 5 games since 2016. The 2022 team had a roster of 22 starters that were able to win 1 game and another 60 or so who couldn’t beat those starters out. I don’t see the downside to what he’s doing other than PR. I guess if he goes winless, but I just don’t see that happening 

You’re probably right on the Baylor guys.

I’m not arguing what’s he doing is wrong. It’s part of where we are in college these days. This is an extreme situation. I don’t care for it but my opinion matters not.

Shitty coaching does matter. It’s probably even worse in some situations than we realize. For those CU dudes caught in it, I wish them well. I don’t see CU going winless either but would find it funny if they did.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Well we did play in the 2020 Alamo Bowl vs CU. Remember Sam got sick/hurt during the 1st half? Casey Thompson balled-out in the 2nd half, during Tom’s last game as HC. Now they’re both together - to bring back the memories.

Hook’em!!!

• 2 weeks later...

They were discussing CU today on XM 84. Vegas has the win total at 3.5 and both Neuheisel and Childers said they'd pound the under. I think 3.5 is a pretty good number, really. I'm figuring 3-9, but maybe some of the spares that Deion has brought in to replace are better than they look and they pick up another game or two. 

They also said that CU sold out their allotment for season tickets for the first time since 1996. Apparently they've also sold a shit ton of single game tickets since putting them on sale yesterday. 

Whatever happens in the 2023 season, Neon Deion has been worth whatever they're paying him at CU. Dude is "must see tv" for now. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Prime is basically a great athlete with a not completely incompetent set of brainwaves. If he's on your side, he's a goofy, but tolerable, show-off. If he's on the other side, he's a major asshole. If and until he pulls CU up to the status of a Top 10 team, he'll be amusing and colorful. If he does manage it and gets in our way, fuck 'im.

Edited by Tex Long
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Prime is basically a great athlete with a not completely incompetent set of brainwaves. If he's on your side, he's a goofy, but tolerable, show-off. If he's on the other side, he's a major asshole. If and until he pulls CU up to the status of a Top 10 team, he'll be amusing and colorful. If he does manage it and gets in our way, fuck 'im.

I view him as a talented assclown. 

But he's making the game about him. Imo, he's an egotistical dipshit, so he fits right in today's environment. Doesn't mean he won't win.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

I'm gonna laugh hard when TCU stomps him opening weekend. 

Why? Is the expectation is he will have CU on TCUs level in one offseason? Strange seems some of you will be rooting for TCU in that game. I’d much prefer watching TCU getting handed an embarrassing loss.

• Hook 'Em 9
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

11 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

Why? Is the expectation is he will have CU on TCUs level in one offseason? Strange seems some of you will be rooting for TCU in that game. I’d much prefer watching TCU getting handed an embarrassing loss.

Never said I was rooting for TCU. Just said it will be funny when Prime won't be able to back up all that shit he talks. I'm comin and I'm bringing my luggage with me and it's locked and loaded. Give me a fucking break. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Longboard Horn said:

Never said I was rooting for TCU. Just said it will be funny when Prime won't be able to back up all that shit he talks. I'm comin and I'm bringing my luggage with me and it's locked and loaded. Give me a fucking break. 

TCU favored by 21 currently. 

• Like 1

One can say many things about Sanders. One piece of evidence that may fall just short of convicting him of fraud, however, is failing at the outset of his first season to lead his recently 1-11 squad to victory on the road against the national championship runner-up.

• Hook 'Em 1

Man, there is a lot of thought and discussion about a guy who really hasn’t proven himself at the major college level. He won some games against HBCU- level schools, but now he is getting attention just because he’s a self-absorbed huckster? If he proves he’s worth the hype (and not just because they sell tickets), then cool. Otherwise, I have no time for this circus.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, GhostofDanJones said:

I for one would never play for Prime nor let my kid play for him. What a pompous blow hard. 

Please keep us apprised of where you and your son will be taking your talents. Some of us have to sleep you know. 

Edited by Blotto
no talk good
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Heard on sxm today that Colorado is considering moving to the B12. The Colorado brass said they would consult with Deion if they should make the move. That was certainly eye opening.

And not the moving to the B12 part. No idea if it has teeth or the truth. But if Alabama was to move conferences I doubt they would give a shit what nicks input was.