Water Polo

Chico_SA

Regional Tournaments Tomorrow - Been such a fun and cool season so far. 

Girls Region 1 -  Flower Mound vs Rockwall Heath and Southlake Carrol vs The Woodlands

Region 2 - Brazoswood vs Bridgeland and Friendswood vs Cypress Ranch

Region 3 - Foster(ranked 3rd in the country)  vs Round Rock Westwood and Cypress Creek vs Round Rock

Region 4 - San Antonio Brennan vs Harlingen South and San Antonio Brandeis vs Harlingen

Boys Region 1 - Southlake Carrol vs Conroe and Marcus vs The Woodlands

Region 2 - Brazoswood vs Strake Jesuit and Clear Lake vs Dawson

Region 3 - Foster vs Round Rock Westwood and Cypress Creek vs Austin High

Region 4 - Boerne Champion vs Harlingen South and San Antonio Clark vs PSJA

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Four Teams left.  My girls made it to the Regional Final and were in control, but we just couldn't close it out.  The atmosphere was incredible.  I couldn't coach my kids in the flow of play. It was just SO loud. But NISD is representing and San Antonio is back in the game, as we should be. 

State Finals in San Antonio next Saturday.  

Girls State Final Four: Southlake Carrol, Brazoswood, San Antonio Brandies, Foster 

Boys State Final Four: Brazoswood, Foster, Boerne Champion,  Marcus/Southlake Carrol 

Take some time to go watch a game next year, or if you are in SA, go watch the Finals.  You will enjoy it. 

As a (long ago) graduate of Brazoswood, I must ask, when did they become a power in water polo?  I did not even know there was a water polo team at the school until I randomly checked this thread out.  Congratulations to the teams.  Go Bucs!

23 hours ago, ScottS said:

As a (long ago) graduate of Brazoswood, I must ask, when did they become a power in water polo?  I did not even know there was a water polo team at the school until I randomly checked this thread out.  Congratulations to the teams.  Go Bucs!

Lots of Club Water Polo started popping up around the area.  Lake Jackson has a club, but I'm pretty sure some of the Brazoswood kids compete for Viper Pigeons, one of the better, if not the best Houston Club, which practices in several West Houston locations. 

If Brandeis girls can hang with them, then San Antonio Water Polo isn't as far behind as we could be after decades of not prioritizing the sport (SA teams took the lead in the 80's). 

• 9 months later...

UIL Season 2 first day of practice was today.  My teams will start tomorrow since I (and many of my players) were up in Dallas for Junior Olympics Session 3.  North Dallas did a great job with JO's as usual.  I spent most of my time in Lewisville but there were games at Carroll, Keller, SMU, Jesuit, and Garland among others.  

I don't have a real feel for other Regions, but Boerne Champion boys in Region 4 should come out easily.  Honestly, they are stacked and really should win State after getting second last year.  They have a new coach who moved up from Houston and has won multiple State titles. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I started 2 Water Polo programs back in the day.. Boys and girls team at Cy Ridge and then in Dallas at Lake Highlands.. it was extremelly difficult being a rookie program and playing the OGs.. we took our licks for sure.. but man was it great for the kids and even better for my swim program.. glad its taking hold in Texas..

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, texashorne said:

I knew exactly who this was without having to look it up.. LOL

Yeah, when the job opened up and I heard someone was coming from outside the area, I figured he might be ready for one last stop before retirement.  Not a bad place to do it.  Great situation.  They are building a new pool for the high schools next year. 

45 minutes ago, texashorne said:

I started 2 Water Polo programs back in the day.. Boys and girls team at Cy Ridge and then in Dallas at Lake Highlands.. it was extremelly difficult being a rookie program and playing the OGs.. we took our licks for sure.. but man was it great for the kids and even better for my swim program.. glad its taking hold in Texas..

It's amazing the number of teams that are playing compared to when I was playing many years ago.

6AWP_23x.pdf

Edited by Chico_SA

• 2 months later...

Great 2nd UIL Season.  I was able to take my teams up to play some strong Dallas area squads in a pre-season tournament, and that really set the tone for a deep playoff  run.

Some local High Schools are starting to find some kids from other sports (basketball, softball, etc) who are able to contribute in the pool so more kids are getting exposed to the sport. 

State Tournament was held here in SA yesterday.

Richmond Foster repeats as Girls State Champ defeating Southlake Carroll in the Final

Boerne Champion Boys finished 2nd again this year losing in the final to Lewisville Marcus

• Like 1