Can we talk about Pickles?

Neonmoon

On 10/28/2021 at 9:56 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

All you fuckers shitting on Bread and Butter pickles can fuck right off.  They're the best.

Are you part of some weird fucking conspiracy? B&B pickles are like candy corn. Nobody can possibly like them, they exist as some form of troll job.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/29/2021 at 7:00 PM, Jameslaw121 said:

Homemade pickles have ruined me from just about any store bought. Guy at my work pickled some green tomatoes and those might be the best pickled thing I've ever had

So you're coming to the next tailgate and sharing or what?

On 10/29/2021 at 7:00 PM, Jameslaw121 said:

Homemade pickles have ruined me from just about any store bought. Guy at my work pickled some green tomatoes and those might be the best pickled thing I've ever had

I made some BLTs with fried green tomatoes that were glorious.  I think having pickled fried green tomatoes might make it go up to 11.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 8 months later...

^^  short version.  Roughly a 10 minute boil followed by a simmer.  After which, I jarred it and put in oven for 10 min or so.  Then allowed to cool down.  As it cooled I could hear the occasional "pop" which is a good sign.   Check this morning and all jars were sealed.  Taste check this morning over some eggs and it was muy bein.  

On 7/11/2022 at 9:23 AM, Bevo&Pevo said:

^^  short version.  Roughly a 10 minute boil followed by a simmer.  After which, I jarred it and put in oven for 10 min or so.  Then allowed to cool down.  As it cooled I could hear the occasional "pop" which is a good sign.   Check this morning and all jars were sealed.  Taste check this morning over some eggs and it was muy bein.  

Lets get the salsa recipe please, and your pickles while your at it.

On 11/2/2021 at 1:51 PM, 'stache said:

Are you part of some weird fucking conspiracy? B&B pickles are like candy corn. Nobody can possibly like them, they exist as some form of troll job.

Candy corn mixed with peanuts is pretty good. 

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Pickles really make a sandwich.  I mean just the regular sliced, store bought pickles.  Give me a turkey on white, American cheese, 4 pickles and some mayo and I'm good.  50 cent sandwich.

Absolutely.

On a related note, I always love the pickle spears that end up in restaurant food service companies' rotation.  Almost every time I get a pickle spear alongside a sandwich or burger at a restaurant, it's fantastic.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/15/2022 at 8:45 AM, LW Goatman said:

Lets get the salsa recipe please, and your pickles while your at it.

The pickle recipe is on page 2, post 88.

The salsa recipe I got from a friend who runs a small cafe.  It is way better served warm.  Esp. over eggs, tamales, enchiladas.....  Anyhoo, here goes..

4 onions, 6-8 Jalapenos, olive oil,   Sweat it down until the onions get translucent.

1 Tablespoon Garlic powder, 1 Tablespoon Oregano, 4-5 Bay leaves 1/2 Tablespoon Black Pepper, 1/2 Tablespoon Salt   Put 'em small bowl to add to the main feature.

4 White Garlic pods (more if ya' like it), 1 small can of Chipotle peppers, 1 small can Tomato Sauce   Blend these up and add to the final mixture.

1 Large spoon (like a kitchen serving/stirring spoon) of Tomato Bouillon, 10 Tomatoes (largely diced/chunky).  Mine were slightly larger than a baseball.   Put in a large pot.  I used a 5 quart and it all fit nicely.

Add it together and start a medium boil.  The 'maters will make juice as they cook down.  I boiled about 10 minutes or so then went to a simmer.

*4-8 oz of White vinegar   After the simmer, add this to act as a preservative.  

My buddy uses his dream sauce everyday, so he keeps it all in the icebox for the ready.  I put mine in jars for the long haul.  Be careful on ANY jars to to bear down heavy on the lid.  Snug should do.  The jar needs to heat up in the oven and drive off the oxygen.  The lids should seal once the come out of the oven and begin to cool down.  I've always helped can with the fam since I was a kid.  This was the first time I ever had jars buckle/pop up while in the oven.  See pict.  I was at the sink when I heard the jars in oven and took a quick glance.  Once I saw what was happening I cut the oven off and cracked the door to let the heat out.  I then moved 'em over to the official cool down area, where I "adjusted" the lids.  All jars did pass the seal test the next day.  I made 8 pints of some supreme goodness.  I'm guessing one could add some bell pepper if ya' liked.  Make some and report back with the results.

image.thumb.jpeg.f8f4b478140c0dbb1019fd8cf74dca58.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Finally bought some Grillo’s, you kids weren’t kidding about how shitty the container/lid is. 

Grill is event good enough to obmvercone that fucking stupid lid is. Obvious the corporate suits at Grillos don’t eat the product or else they would have sacked their packaging Dept. That is the worst fucking container in history. Guaranteed to splash pickle brine all over the place. Worse than Gatorade bottles that require jaws of like to open.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/11/2022 at 9:23 AM, Bevo&Pevo said:

Even with the seal botulism is a risk canning this way.  Eat fast and refrigerate.

Grill is event good enough to obmvercone that fucking stupid lid is. Obvious the corporate suits at Grillos don’t eat the product or else they would have sacked their packaging Dept. That is the worst fucking container in history. Guaranteed to splash pickle brine all over the place. Worse than Gatorade bottles that require jaws of like to open.

Ziplock makes a screw top storage container. I put the pickles in that and toss the original container.
  • Hook 'Em 2

A pickle thread. Awesome.

I'm sure it has been discussed, but if I see fried pickles (chips only) on a menu, they are getting ordered. Pappa's Burger in Houston has fried pickles and jalapenos and those things might be the best in the city.

Separately, anybody use pickle juice for anything besides shots alongside Jameson? I make a virgin bloody mary-ish type thing that is 1/10th lime juice, 2/10ths Claussen pickle juice, 5/10ths spicy bloody mary mix and 2/10ths topo chico with a big splash of tapatia or the like. That shit is delicious and works pretty well when I skip lunch or breakfast for meetings, too. The pickle juice absolutely makes the drink.

The sodium build-up would inevitably kill me some day but I'm too involved with too much other stuff that will kill me first. 

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I'm sure it has been discussed, but if I see fried pickles (chips only) on a menu, they are getting ordered. Pappa's Burger in Houston has fried pickles and jalapenos and those things might be the best in the city.

Separately, anybody use pickle juice for anything besides shots alongside Jameson? I make a virgin bloody mary-ish type thing that is 1/10th lime juice, 2/10ths Claussen pickle juice, 5/10ths spicy bloody mary mix and 2/10ths topo chico with a big splash of tapatia or the like. That shit is delicious and works pretty well when I skip lunch or breakfast for meetings, too. The pickle juice absolutely makes the drink.

The sodium build-up would inevitably kill me some day but I'm too involved with too much other stuff that will kill me first. 

I remember going this brazilian/mexican place in north campus around posse east and demolishing baskets of fried jalapenos and $2 margaritas, then walking over to double daves for pizza and beer.

On 7/9/2022 at 6:49 PM, Bevo&Pevo said:

Knocked out 19 quarts of pickles and 8 pints of a new salsa recipe.

20220703_100127_resized.jpg

20220703_100138_resized.jpg

20220709_152729_resized.jpg

Pickles are one of those things I assume is much better from the store than anything I could make, but I'll give it a try. Will definitely try the salsa recipe, sounds bad ass.

Also, FYI, Trader Joes pickles suck. I wanted to like them but they just aren't good.

On 7/22/2022 at 1:22 PM, 'stache said:

Pickles are one of those things I assume is much better from the store than anything I could make, but I'll give it a try. Will definitely try the salsa recipe, sounds bad ass.

Also, FYI, Trader Joes pickles suck. I wanted to like them but they just aren't good.

My grandpa made fantastic pickles.  If I could buy his pickles in the store, I'd buy them over any brand out there, and not just from a nostalgia/sentimental place.  They slammed.

On 7/22/2022 at 1:51 PM, RMac5 said:

Fried spears are the suck. Chips have a way better ratio and the batter doesn’t come off like on spears. Chips and japs are the perfect combo.

Absolutely nailed it.

Local place in my neck of the woods fries thick cut chips and those are really good.

On 7/22/2022 at 1:38 AM, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Finally bought some Grillo’s, you kids weren’t kidding about how shitty the container/lid is. 

It's absolutely impossible.

My wife brought a jar on a road trip recently and had to keep it in it's own separate bag because there was no way to open the god damn thing without the entire car getting sprayed.

• Rage+1 1

On 7/22/2022 at 12:12 PM, closetojumping said:

I make all my Bloody Mary's with pickle juice, and frequently just drink it out of the jar after a big work out.

• Hook 'Em 1

I've got some pickling cucumbers, and I'm thinking of making a batch. I also have an ancho chili vinegar, and I'm considering using that, or at least part of it, in place of white vinegar for creating the pickling liquid. My concern is that basically wastes this vinegar, however, if the cooking process basically neutralizes the flavor or any "heat." 

Thoughts from the pickle masters?

I'm not going back through four pages to see if I've posted on this thread before but those of you shitting on "sweet" pickles -- do none of y'all love the sweet horseradish pickle slices that a bunch of places put on the plate with an elevated burger or some other kind of sandie? Because I fucking love those, along with most other pickles. Carry on.

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

I'm not going back through four pages to see if I've posted on this thread before but those of you shitting on "sweet" pickles -- do none of y'all love the sweet horseradish pickle slices that a bunch of places put on the plate with an elevated burger or some other kind of sandie? Because I fucking love those, along with most other pickles. Carry on.

Some of those are fine because they have enough horseradish (or some other herb/spice) to cut against the sweet.

But I remember the basic old cheap-ass sweet pickles that would end up in pot luck relish trays when I was a kid and those things can burn in hell.

I've got some pickling cucumbers, and I'm thinking of making a batch. I also have an ancho chili vinegar, and I'm considering using that, or at least part of it, in place of white vinegar for creating the pickling liquid. My concern is that basically wastes this vinegar, however, if the cooking process basically neutralizes the flavor or any "heat." 
Thoughts from the pickle masters?

I wouldn’t bother. Plain vinegar and a couple of habaneros will do just fine.
  • Hook 'Em 1