No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]

Parliament

I obviously shat on him a lot in this thread, but i'm saddened by all of this. Coach Leach literally changed college football and meant a lot to the sport. He was just a character that we needed in the sport. Period. He was way too young. The worst part is we never got a chance to say a proper goodbye. He was just sort of whisked away....but maybe that's how he would have preferred it. We'll miss you, coach. Truly.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, slorch said:

Cody Campbell would score some points with me( for whatever that’s worth) in pushing for a statue of Mike Leach in the vicinity of Jones Stadium and the Womble Facility.

No fucks given about the olds who got their feelings hurt.  Recognize the impact Mike Leach on Texas Tech Football and the game itself.

I mean, the statue should probably be in College Station.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

This really does suck.  When famous people pass, I normally don't give it much thought.  Someone that I don't know passing away just doesn't do much for my emotions.  I may get a bit nostalgic, but that's pretty much it.  But this one is actually going to have an impact on me.  For some reason, he just feels like someone you know.  I know it doesn't look good at all, but I hope that he somehow pulls through this.  If he dies, it's going to hurt.  He's so great for college football.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

Dam this is sad news.  

I remember reading on a thread after his last game  people were saying he didn't look good and had not been in good health.  

Don't know if he was under a Dr's. care or not,  but as someone that has survived a heart attack,  if you have signs don't ignore them.  

Prayers for the Leach family.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

36 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Dam this is sad news.  

I remember reading on a thread after his last game  people were saying he didn't look good and had not been in good health.  

Don't know if he was under a Dr's. care or not,  but as someone that has survived a heart attack,  if you have signs don't ignore them.  

Prayers for the Leach family.  

Go back a page and read the John Canzano column that @Nicole44 posted. It mentions the health problems Leach was having this year that Canzano was aware of.

• Hook 'Em 1

In all good pirate stories, the pirate disappears.

I can think of no greater tribute to the man and his work than the fact that he did such a good job, that even in off years you couldn't feel comfortable about playing a Mike Leach coached team. He worked some magic and did it with style (crazy pirate, say the first though that comes into your head style).

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

“It appears, according to sources, that Leach may have suffered seizures with the possibility of brain damage. Sources said the situation is dire, and MSU said Leach was in "critical condition" in a statement Monday.”

Yikes. Godspeed ye olde pyrat.

Seizures after an anoxic encephalopathy event are an indicator of a  very poor prognosis unfortunately.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

I think so. I saved the picture. It was described as a ridiculous long pole and correct

tried to edit but time had expired so reposting for background. On the sub at Pearl his son's hat blew off. Leach walked past the security people and rummaged in a storage are for the pole with a net and then walked past them again to fish the hat out. Basically Leach being Leach and marching to his own drum

8 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

leachnet.jpg

Edited by AUinHsv
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I stopped reading the Athletic so stopped paying for the subscription but this was one of the best pieces they ever penned. If anyone can copy and paste it it belongs here. I’m sure it may be in this thread somewhere already.

https://theathletic.com/1138379/2019/08/15/what-the-is-going-on-right-now-inside-mike-leachs-qb-meetings/?amp=1

Among others, there are smart people, people who think outside the box, and smart people who think outside the box.

While I always enjoyed Leach's wit and sarcasm and lack of an internal filter, I most enjoyed the way he brought an outsider's view towards the strategy and tactics of football.  He was truly a smart person who thought outside the box, and football is better for it.

Fair sailing, Coach Leach.  You won't find Texas fans lauding many an opposing coach, but he makes the list, and justifiably so.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]

Mike Leach is hands down my favorite non-Texas coach ever, regardless of sport. This is truly terrible, the world is losing one of its brightest and most unique personalities and a guy who changed the game of football forever.  

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5

well i'm in tears...was reading the Beard fiasco thread and someone said something about 'first Leach, now this' and thought 'shit hope he didn't get in trouble too!' and popped over to this thread to check...

gotdamn i was not expecting this!! hit me exceptionally hard for some reason 😢 fuck!

• Hook 'Em 1

copy/pasta from a few websites:

Quotes from years past:

On players fighting in practice:
"If you get into a fight, don't take your helmet off...We're looking for smart football players, not dumb ones. In the interest of time, don't get into any more fights today."

On the Aggie Corps of Cadets:
"How come they get to pretend they are soldiers?  The thing is, they aren't actually in the military. I ought to have Mike's Pirate School. The freshmen, all they get is the bandanna. When you're a senior, you get the sword and skull and crossbones. For homework, we'll work pirate maneuvers and stuff like that."

On "system" quarterbacks:
"If B.J. is a product of the system, then he's not getting any of those touchdown passes and all those yards. That means our coaching staff is," Leach said. "That would also mean we could go down to 7-Eleven and get the clerk behind the counter and let him play quarterback."

I think candy corn’s awful. You know, it’s like fruitcake. There’s a reason they only serve fruitcake once a year, because it’s awful. There’s a reason they only serve mint julep’s once a year, because they’re awful. Now, that does beg the question, ‘why they serve it at all?’ But anyway, that’s my opinion. You eat it by the handfuls, because that’s all that’s left, and you get sick.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2