No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]

Parliament

14 hours ago, Pimphand said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24866357/the-untold-1999-texas-oklahoma-story-mike-leach-fake-play-script

Blast from the past with such stalwarts as Casey Horny, Tom Herman, & Bull Reese. Its not shocking what would happen the very next year.

9 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Leach dropping the fake playbook at the TX OU game is still a great story

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Yes.  This needs to be reposted from time to time.  I think I might've been at that game.  I had never heard this story but it's outstanding, especially with the quotes from Texas coaches and players admitting they got duped by it and the fact that Leach never knew how effective it had actually been until the guy wrote the story about it years later.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

His wife says something along the lines of "Oh, boy...Go, coach go," in a tone I can only translate as moderate, unsurprised bewilderment. She turns to the daughter, "Your Dad...he just doesn't care, does he?"

My favorite part of the story.  Wife & daughter, well experienced in his antics, fully resigned.  LMAO.

Dammit.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Yes.  This needs to be reposted from time to time.  I think I might've been at that game.  I had never heard this story but it's outstanding, especially with the quotes from Texas coaches and players admitting they got duped by it and the fact that Leach never knew how effective it had actually been until the guy wrote the story about it years later.  

especially given it was Tom Fucking Herman who was one of those GAs (if not THE GA).

10 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

was he seeing a doctor , as most olds do , on a regular basis? No meds for high cholesterol, high blood pressure, diabetes , etc? 

And this is a good time for me, an old who is also a practicing internist, to remind all of you to mind your hearts. Especially  if you have a bad family history, get checked.  Get your lipids, your blood pressure, and your sugar checked regularly.  Get an ekg.  Get a calcium score (cheap and remarkably utilitarian). Maybe, if indicated, get a stress test and an echo. It wouldn't hurt you to exercise, lose a few pounds.  My long time partner and great friend fell over dead a few years ago at 56.  Don't be like that. 

Edited by bmbmd
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

was he seeing a doctor , as most olds do , on a regular basis? 

Lulz.  I'm 59, so marginally "old" (or perhaps fully so), and I see my allergy doc.  As in, I only see my allergy doc.  I'm the classic American male -- I ignore everything.  I can only hope if some symptom gets annoying enough I'll go in to get it checked out, but I'm like all the other guys in my family:  "I don't have time to be sick."

As Warren Zevon suggested, this might be a tactical error, but it's really common.

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

I was at that game. It was amazing. We were so pissed and confused by WTF was going on as OU easily built that 17-0 lead. 

CFB is really going to miss him. We have so few characters that aren't just the stereotypical hypercompetitive asshole type.

Edited by Valmy77

Man, I loved watching his interviews. I wish he would have retired 5 years ago and would have joined FOX or ESPN GameDay.

Unfortunately this hits too close to home. I had a STEMI (widowmaker) last November, 10 minutes after walking out of my cardiologist office. He had just given me clearance to have a prostatectomy after a stress test, EKG, ECG, and a calcium score. I waited an hour with severe chest pain and several other symptoms before going to the ER. No way in hell I was having a heart attack after walking out of my cardiologist office.  Doctor that I visited an hour earlier was the same doctor that put in my stent. He was shocked to see me to say the least.

My PSA. Don't screw around if you ever have chest pain. I'm middle-aged, not fat, don't smoke, and I exercise on a regular basis.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, mchookem said:

this just feels surreal 😥

Yeah, this just wasn't supposed to be happening right now. We were supposed to get a few more years of Leach being a goof in the SEC then him retired being a goof on TV.

Shattered for his family, just shattered. I don't know if he had grandkids or not, but that's a weird grandpa stolen away. 

damnit, this fucking sucks

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 5