No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]

Parliament

28 minutes ago, Davis Lane said:

I forgot about this gem:

"Once in a while a pirate can beat a soldier, you know."

He said that as he was grinning after beating aggy while at Tech.

Beating aggy was something he did regularly.

This year, they asked him about his repeated success against aggy as a (MSST) visiting team.  He quipped something like, "Well they line up in those three-man fronts; they just make it so easy."  That had to sting.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

Fuck the tears are free flowing now. Never have I been less motivated to check for news than I was this morning…didn’t want to see it! 

Unapologetically authentic, brilliant, hilarious and he left an amazing legacy: no one can fill those shoes. I hurt the most for his loved ones. A true original in every way. Enjoy swinging your sword in that amazing Pirate ship in the sky. You were good. You will be missed beyond measure. We sure as shit loved ya! 

10E6987F-C4F9-482E-998B-8083953B67F3.gif

pirate-ship-pirate.gif.87996107826c8b36c387119498c177d4.gif

• Hook 'Em 3

22 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

My grandparents in west Texas were lifelong Democrats. Never voted Republican in their entire life. That all changed in 2012 when they voted in the Republican primary for Senate. Their vote for David Dewhurst was to make sure Craig James wouldn't make it to a runoff. They hated the bastard for getting involved in the football program and getting Leach fired. My grandma is still alive and has yet to forgive the university for it. 

I’ll always wish that the Pirate had been a lifer at Tech. Few jobs and coaches have been better suited for each other and the Tech admin forgot that and paid the price. 

And since that couldn’t happen, I’m bummed that a big school—not a real blue-blood, but an Auburn, a Tennessee, a UCLA— never handed him the reins. It might not have worked but damn it would have been fun. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, dcbc said:

This year, they asked him about his repeated success against aggy as a (MSST) visiting team.  He quipped something like, "Well they line up in those three-man fronts; they just make it so easy."  That had to sting.

aggy moved to the SEC, but they still couldn't get away from looking up at Leach's teams.

Conference records during the last 10 years of the mathematically correct Big 12-Tech's results mostly due to Leach (over the whole 15 years, Tech was 4th despite having to play UT and OU every year):

Oklahom   65 15
Texas   63 17
Texas Tech 47 33
Nebraska   47 33
Missouri   42 38
Oklahoma State 41 39
Colorado   38 42
Texas A&M 37 43
Kansas State 35 45
Kansas   25 55
Iowa State 25 55
Baylor   15 65
  • Hook 'Em 6

48 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

I’ll always wish that the Pirate had been a lifer at Tech. Few jobs and coaches have been better suited for each other and the Tech admin forgot that and paid the price. 

And since that couldn’t happen, I’m bummed that a big school—not a real blue-blood, but an Auburn, a Tennessee, a UCLA— never handed him the reins. It might not have worked but damn it would have been fun. 

Tennessee had him for about 12 hours when their AD went rogue and took a booster’s jet to LA to meet with Leach after the Schiano hire caused a fan revolt and he spent the week getting turned down by Gundy, Brohm, and Doeren. He negotiated informal terms with Leach and had an agreement, then got called back to Knoxville by the school chancellor, who promptly fired him. Phillip Fulmer got installed as the interim AD and hired Jeremy Pruitt. Would have loved to see what Leach could have done there. 

• Rage+1 1

18 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Yep.  And loved that he destroyed that Cal team after Aaron Rogers bitched about Mack lobbying for the spot in the Rose Bowl.  It made our win over Michigan that much sweeter.

This is where secsecsec stole the 'didnt want to be there' line. 

14 minutes ago, msbesq said:

Arggh. This sucks.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e475ntlt96vn590p6u64t

• Like 1
  • Haha 1