No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]

Parliament

2 hours ago, Uncle Nate said:

I was there.  It was greatness.  Had some longhorns in our section who decided to catch the game before going to the Rose Bowl a couple of days later.  We were all one family that night.

Next day at the San Diego zoo every Longhorn we saw thanked us for beating Cal.

I remember my brother calling me on the phone during the game and saying "Hey Cal, remember... we have to play these guys every year!" It really was the star on top of the "Who deserves to go to the Rose Bowl" Christmas Tree.

That was a great year for bowl games. Holiday Bowl, beatin' Meatchicken in the Rose, and watching USC just absolutely defenestrate OU.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I think you could argue that if you wanted to one day be a football coach, there was no better path than to go to a QB on a Mike Leach coached team.

Lincoln Riley went from Muleshoe, Texas to coaching Heisman winners at OU and USC due to Mike Leach. 

Partially true, but Lincoln Riley was a phenom, also. He was basically a GA as a sophomore, and QC right after that. Let recognized it almost immediately.

As far as studying under Leach, it would be hard to find a better mentor/sponsor

You know how I can tell I've been on this Surly thread too long today.  I was flipping through the YTTV guide tonight and saw a listing for National Treasure and just assumed it was a special about Leach.  Friggin' Nick Cage.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 8

7 minutes ago, dcbc said:

You know how I can tell I've been on this Surly thread too long today.  I was flipping through the YTTV guide tonight and saw a listing for National Treasure and just assumed it was a special about Leach.  Friggin' Nick Cage.

Can you imagine a night out drinking with Mike Leach and Nic Cage?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Deej said:

I take joy in the fact he now owns eternal scoreboard over aggy. 

On and off the field.  I especially enjoyed his trolling aggy on their self anointed 'elite fandom.'

10 minutes ago, Deej said:

I'm sure Leach appreciates this.

Screenshot_20221213_195357_Kiwi Browser.jpg

Those dipshits will do anything to puff on their own limp dicks 

Mike Leach once said he took a dump in the visitors’ locker room and deemed the water pressure to be the finest in the land and proof the texum aiz muh nim is the bestest university in the world. 

Edited by deadshank
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

19 minutes ago, gernblansten said:

I prefer these:

"A&M wants to rip on our fans and all that. Our fans are as good as their fans are. One thing our fans don't do is sit around and whine about other teams' fans. A&M spent a significant part of the week whining about what our fans are like."

More on the same:
"It's interesting to me that all these Aggies—whether they're at A&M or here—are sitting around with halos over their heads and they have some divine expertise on fanmanship. I just don't believe that's the case. For the record, I think our fans are better than the Aggie fans."

On the Aggie Corps of Cadets:
"How come they get to pretend they are soldiers?  The thing is, they aren't actually in the military. I ought to have Mike's Pirate School. The freshmen, all they get is the bandanna. When you're a senior, you get the sword and skull and crossbones. For homework, we'll work pirate maneuvers and stuff like that.

antonio-banderas-oh.gif 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Daichee Bell said:

Good Lord, Aggies. Show some respect. At least quote the man correctly…….

“It's one of the greatest places to play on earth,” Leach said at SEC Media Days. “That stadium — when I was at Tech — that's one of the Carnegie Halls of football there. Kyle Field, first of all, is gigantic and holds a ton of people. The grass is impeccable. The Aggies are always highly motivated. It's a fun place to play. I've got some great memories of our games at Kyle Field over the years.

Then Leach offered up a bit of a parting shot. It was a fantastic experience,” Leach said. “It helped that we won most of them.”

https://247sports.com/Article/Mississippi-State-football-Mike-Leach-sounds-off-on-playing-at-Texas-AM-Kyle-Field-168074839/

If the gomers would lie about a General Patton quote, they'll do it for a rival coach.

RIP, Coach Leach

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

48 minutes ago, Stunns38 said:

I’m friends with a couple of former athletic trainers from Tech In the early aughts. They have always did he was the kindest person to work for despite his media antics at times.

R.I.P. to the game changer. Too young.

I know a guy who was a student manager when the Adam James incident occurred and actually saw it all go down. To this day, he hates Adam James and loves Mike Leach and said James was being a bitch that day and got treated like one. 

Edited by Tex Pete

5 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

2006. Texas Tech overcame a 38-7 deficit in the Insight Bowl to beat Minnesota 44-41 in OT. Cost Glen Mason his job. He was fired 2 days later. Then Tim Brewster took over and he was a disaster. 

I was watching this game at a Twin Cities sports bar. When the first drive of the 3rd quarter stalled and the Gophers kicked a FG to go up 38-7, everyone at my table looked at each other and said, at the same time, "This isn't enough." Sure as shit, it wasn't. Rumor has it that the president of the University ordered the firing on the way home from Phoenix. The firing was announced on New Years Eve, and I vaguely remember getting very drunk celebrating. 

RIP ya pirate. College football is a much less fun place today. 

• Hook 'Em 1