No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]

Parliament

On 12/12/2022 at 1:18 PM, slorch said:

Cody Campbell would score some points with me( for whatever that’s worth) in pushing for a statue of Mike Leach in the vicinity of Jones Stadium and the Womble Facility.

No fucks given about the olds who got their feelings hurt.  Recognize the impact Mike Leach on Texas Tech Football and the game itself.

On 12/12/2022 at 5:04 PM, Murfdogg21 said:

“We care, but not enough to pay you or your family the money we owe you because sovereign immunity bro’l

I have not read up to the end of the thread, so I ask pardon if this is already posted. There needs to be a serious push for Tech to pay his widow Sharon what it owes him. RIP Coach.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

That money will never happen.

I'd love the statue of The Pirate.  It'd be appropriate on multiple levels- showing him respect while also being a constant reminder that Tech's GOBs blasted the program into smithereens for no other reason than small minded bullshit personal reasons.

20 minutes ago, Satchel said:

I wonder if the Tech GOBs know or even care that they lost the national PR battle with Leach over they way he was fired?

I don’t want to ruin this thread by getting too deep into this (again) so I’ll say this - I agree on the lost PR battle.

And it’s precisely why Mike continued to refuse the check he was offered - he was a crafty ol’ pirate that knew how to win the long game.

59 minutes ago, Satchel said:

I wonder if the Tech GOBs know or even care that they lost the national PR battle with Leach over they way he was fired?

You say that as if those disgusting individuals even have the capacity to accept new information that contradicts their fixed beliefs, i.e. the capacity to admit they were dead ass wrong. These are men who believe in belief, and if my great-grandfather were alive at the time, he'd have caught the first plane to Lubbock and broken each of their arms.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

So the court ruled that any Texas University can break a contract and say Sue us, oh right you can't. ?

In the near term, any head coaching candidate has to consider Tech’s past behavior with the firing of Leach. What good is a guaranteed contract or a buy-out clause if Tech doesn’t honor it and is unwilling to take the matter to court or arbitration? Tubberville sucked, Kliff probably just wanted a HC job and it was his alma mater, not sure about the recent guys. I wouldn’t coach there under the same administration unless the contract was heavily front-loaded. 

Edited by Murfdogg21

20 minutes ago, slorch said:

nm

Celebrate who Mike Leach was and what his indelible imprint upon football and fandom will be.

And I'd love nothing more, but apparently we've still got people who want to re-litigate the James matter from the perspective of believing in belief.

34 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

And I'd love nothing more, but apparently we've still got people who want to re-litigate the James matter from the perspective of believing in belief.

Satchel brought up the GOBs!! It wasn’t mentioned on here since his passing until then. 

I responded that yes, Mike has won the PR battle.

And stating - factually - that pmt for his final season that he coached is separate and apart from pmt for seasons in which he did not coach is not re-litigating anything.

edit: it was Satchel, not you

Edited by BluTechsan

5 minutes ago, BluTechsan said:

You brought up the GOBs!! It wasn’t mentioned on here since his passing until you brought it up.

Correct the error

10 hours ago, Satchel said:

Edited by hpslugga

23 hours ago, Welshy said:

"Remembering Mike Leach" on ESPNU at 10 and again at 11 cst.

Today they are running some of his great games, 2002 Texas at Tech, 2018 Alamo Bowl Iowa State at Wazzu, 2020 Miss State at LSU, 2022 Egg Bowl. Might want to fire up the dvr.

11 minutes ago, hpslugga said:

Correct the error

beat ya to it. 😎

I became a season ticket shortly after the announcement of Mike’s hiring at Tech.

I still have those seats.

23 seasons of good, bad, and ugly football -

but the decade with Mike was AWESOME!!

I LOVED every minute of it.

I HATED how it all came crashing down. HATED it!!

5 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

In the near term, any head coaching candidate has to consider Tech’s past behavior with the firing of Leach. What good is a guaranteed contract or a buy-out clause if Tech doesn’t honor it and is unwilling to take the matter to court or arbitration? Tubberville sucked, Kliff probably just wanted a HC job and it was his alma mater, not sure about the recent guys. I wouldn’t coach there under the same administration unless the contract was heavily front-loaded. 

aggy admin...

Shark Tank Writing GIF

7 hours ago, RPM said:

Today they are running some of his great games, 2002 Texas at Tech, 2018 Alamo Bowl Iowa State at Wazzu, 2020 Miss State at LSU, 2022 Egg Bowl. Might want to fire up the dvr.

Why not some of the regular thumpings he used to give aggy. Those were great.

Edited by Satchel
  • Hook 'Em 3

Texas A&M fans

A&M wants to rip on our fans and all that. Our fans are as good as their fans are. One thing our fans don't do is sit around and whine about other teams' fans. Why don't they worry about what themselves are like?

It's interesting to me that all these Aggies — whether they're at A&M or here — are sitting around with halos over their heads, and they have some divine expertise on fanmanship. I just don't believe that's the case. For the record, I think our fans are better than the Aggie fans.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/13/2022 at 3:25 PM, Rimbo said:

Leach would've been a fantastic Surly poster.

Today I learned, and don't ask me how I know this because I will either ignore you or give you a completely wrong answer, that Mike Leach did, in fact, read Surly. Particularly the Jimbo Fisher and $9.95 threads.

This only makes me love him more. RIP YOU AMAZING PIRATE!

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Today I learned, and don't ask me how I know this because I will either ignore you or give you a completely wrong answer, that Mike Leach did, in fact, read Surly. Particularly the Jimbo Fisher and $9.95 threads.

This is somehow not surprising.

• Hook 'Em 2

Gonna hafta start a write-in campaign to get this fixed.

But the rule that seems to exclude Leach from the honor is as follows: A candidate for the Hall of Fame "must have been a head coach for a minimum of 10 years and coached at least 100 games with a .600 winning percentage."

Leach checks out on two of the last three demands; he coached for longer than 10 years and more than 100 games. 

But his career record in that time was 158 wins against 107 losses — a .596 winning percentage. Just .004 percent away from the mark he needs to become eligible.

https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cfb-hq/ncaa-football/mike-leach-college-football-hall-of-fame-rule

• Hook 'Em 3

48 minutes ago, Parliament said:

But the rule that seems to exclude Leach from the honor is as follows: A candidate for the Hall of Fame "must have been a head coach for a minimum of 10 years and coached at least 100 games with a .600 winning percentage."

Leach checks out on two of the last three demands; he coached for longer than 10 years and more than 100 games. 

But his career record in that time was 158 wins against 107 losses — a .596 winning percentage. Just .004 percent away from the mark he needs to become eligible.

https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cfb-hq/ncaa-football/mike-leach-college-football-hall-of-fame-rule

Well, that sucks.  Maybe there are a few schools that would be willing to retroactively forfeit some games to get the record to .600.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Maybe Leach was Randolph Duke?

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Parliament said:

Dude would have been over .60 if he didn’t take over the Wazzu reclamation project.   We were a disaster show before he got to Pullman.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Parliament said:

Where do I sign the petition?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, 89Horn said:

Well, that sucks.  Maybe there are a few schools that would be willing to retroactively forfeit some games to get the record to .600.

Aggies were 4-9 against him. 

They could give up three and still have one to remember. And it’s not like any of them would cost them a conference title. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1