No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]

Parliament

saban can be a dick and call out his players.  augie could be a dick and call out his players.  when you have skins on the wall, being a dick and calling out players is genius and motivation.

when a coach has no skins on the wall and call out players, well he's a shitty coach who is deflecting and trying to compensate for his own ineptness.

the reality is probably somewhere in the middle. 

i never understood the hero worship for this guy.  if this were mack saying these things, the masses on here would be ripping him another asshole.  i guess he's cool because he says stupid shit and goes off on tangents.  that's a pretty low bar.

12 hours ago, linux said:

I do not promote asshole culture, and this thing hurts us all in the long run beyond fucking football.

If he wants to instill toughness, then lead by example, also be smart about it, not just spout asshole bullshit to the media that other assholes identify with, agree, clap to, and vote for.

BTW I am not personally accusing you of anything

what do you consider “asshole culture”?  and how does this “hurt us all in the long run”?  he does lead by example and he is pretty smart about it.  he is also a good coach as he’s consistently won games in lubbock and pullman.  you’re worrying far too much about a 5 minute press conference.  you seem... fragile.

12 hours ago, DaggerHorns said:

Jesus, some pussies up in here.

I appreciate him being candid and tough. I also think this builds his type of football.

Augie Garrido did far worse when he spoke to our baseball players and the guy was a fucking champion...a lot.

I'm guessing he was candid and tough to his team after UCLA dropped 50 on him in a single half. Lots of good that did.

When your team gets tripled up, chances are high that there was a coaching mismatch in addition to personnel mismatches or issues in motivation.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, thestud said:

Having played football with Taylor Potts since middle school, I kept up with him at Tech. Imagine my surprise when I saw some dude that looked exactly like him, but with the name “Nick” on the back of his jersey. That one was weird

I believe "Nick" joined a very small club that day. In fact, it only has 6 members to date and I call it the "Greatest QBs in Tech History" club. 

The membership (in order by date of entrance)

Zebbie Lethridge, Kliff Kingsbury, "Corey" Hodges, Graham Harrell, "Nick", and Seth Doege.

Edited by BluTechsan
The Pirate coached 3 them (on the day membership was earned) and lost to one of the others.

14 hours ago, DaggerHorns said:

Jesus, some pussies up in here.

I appreciate him being candid and tough. I also think this builds his type of football.

Augie Garrido did far worse when he spoke to our baseball players and the guy was a fucking champion...a lot.

Garrido and Leach?   Are we serious.      One won championships, many.    Do the math on the other.  If you can't, he's won nothing.  Zero.    

Leach's definition of "tough" Is standing behind a mic, as an unbridled ass, and calling out players as "fat" and "soft" when he is the model of fat and soft  His blame-everyone-else-I-can-think-of schtick was cute and funny a decade+ ago.  Made for good pressers and all that shit but it's worn out now.  He's just become an old, tiresome guy who thinks everyone else is to blame when, in fact, he's the one that deserves that collar, and no one else.    

The Leach cultists are an interesting breed, to say the least.  If they ever wake up they'll get a mirror for Mike, take it to Pullman and ask that he spend 60 seconds looking at it. Maybe then he'll realize what the real problem is.

33 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Garrido and Leach?   Are we serious.      One won championships, many.    Do the math on the other.  If you can't, he's won nothing.  Zero.    

Leach's definition of "tough" Is standing behind a mic, as an unbridled ass, and calling out players as "fat" and "soft" when he is the model of fat and soft  His blame-everyone-else-I-can-think-of schtick was cute and funny a decade+ ago.  Made for good pressers and all that shit but it's worn out now.  He's just become an old, tiresome guy who thinks everyone else is to blame when, in fact, he's the one that deserves that collar, and no one else.    

The Leach cultists are an interesting breed, to say the least.  If they ever wake up they'll get a mirror for Mike, take it to Pullman and ask that he spend 60 seconds looking at it. Maybe then he'll realize what the real problem is.

why don’t you run home to your fat little girlfriend. 

• Haha 1

Do you speak Bucci?
well since I lived in SoFla and worked with a bunch of Cubans for 12 years, yes I do speak Bucci. although I never heard it called that. I lived for a while in an apt that was right around the corner from Rowland Coffee Roasters who make Cafe Bustello and Pilon Cuban expresso.
I'd walk out to go to work in the morning and the aroma would hit me in the nose. mmmmmm

Bucci is fucking delicious and I miss it in Orlando.

Orlando blows compared to SoFla. too far to the beach too far to the keys better shopping down there BRANDS MART FUCK YEAH! better sports better bars. you can drive 120 mph on the turnpike and nobody cares more interesting cars. better scereneryery in Publix not to mention Sedanos and Presidente and Fresh Market and Doris Italian Market.
  • Like 1

I hope Leach ends up at USF.

He would love playing at Raymond James. Tampa airport is right there and it's a short flight to Key West.

as much as he loves the Keys he really needs to be in florida. also it is easier to deal with shitty parents cjk5h in florida. alligators are everywhere and they ALWAYS hungry.

17 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Great. The fat, arrogant and narcissistic coach talking about his soft players getting press and liking to read it.  This coming from the guy who spends as much time working up cute quotes for pressers as he does working on game plans and figuring out how not to blow 2H, 5+ touchdown leads, at home, to garbage teams. 

More juice for the Leach cultists to drink in mass quantities. More evidence why this clown will never sniff a big job. 

And we as football fans might wonder why 99% of the time we get nothing but boring coachspeak and ultra politically correct cliches  from  the head coaches of power 5 programs.  Oh no, whatever you do, don't voice an actual less than proper, even candid opinion.  

3 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

One coached baseball at UT, the other coached football at TT and WSU.  So let's not pretend your silly little Augie to Leach comparison is valid shall we.

Tho no title, it's hardly as if ML has had no success in the coaching profession.

17 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

the tiresome part is where he pretends he is not paid a lot of cash to keep players from getting lazy or thinking too much of themselves or "being free agents"

and as others have said he is the one that constantly has bullshit about anything besides football surrounding him......on another forum a Tech fan (cult of mike member) posted up mikes comments on the PAC 12 mascots and "look everyone mike talking about shit besides football" and the comment was made that look for WSU to have a shitty loss in the next week or two and sure enough the shitty loss to UCLA followed immediately after that.....and now another beating by Utah (that mike gives zero credit to Utah for)

it is the same old shit with him year in and year out he is shooting a bear or catching a big fish in the off season then losing to a D1-AA team to start those seasons or he is making some comments about how the playoffs need to be restructured (as if a team he coaches will ever sniff them) and then his team gets stomped out of playoff contention badly

his teams always come out flat as fuck after a bye week or they come out flat in a bowl game and it is clear the guy just does not use that time efficiently or like it is important instead he shines his suits of armor or dumb shit like that and makes cute comments to the press.....then shits on his team when they have a loss and pretends he is not the head coach that is in charge or correcting all the things he is shitting on them for....even half times the dumber the quip he makes on the way in or out of the locker room the more his team has made ZERO adjustments at the half no matter how bad they were playing and how glaring he problems are in the first half

He pretends he's not being paid a lot of cash to get his team ready?  Did you just hear him say in the video he didn't do a good job getting his team  ready?  I suppose not.

And his teams "always" come flat for a bowl game?  He won 60% of his bowl games at TTU beating among others, I believe it was number 3 ranked Cal, Michigan St., Clemson, etc.  So if you're inclined to criticize, don't just make shit up.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

One coached baseball at UT, the other coached football at TT and WSU.  So let's not pretend your silly little Augie to Leach comparison is valid shall we.

Tho no title, it's hardly as if ML has had no success in the coaching profession.

Before Texas, garrido turned the California equivalent of UT-Arlington into a national powerhouse and won titles with them. 

9 hours ago, futureman said:

what do you consider “asshole culture”?  and how does this “hurt us all in the long run”?  he does lead by example and he is pretty smart about it.  he is also a good coach as he’s consistently won games in lubbock and pullman.  you’re worrying far too much about a 5 minute press conference.  you seem... fragile.

Lubbock and Pullman were so much better off without Mike Leach...LOlz.  The wins just pile the fuck up, right?  

Buttfumble boy hates Mike Leach and takes any opportunity to take his shots.  That's his prerogative, but if you also ignore the vastly positive differences Mike Leach makes in the programs at which he has been at the helm, not to mention his huge influence both in scheme and coaching in the entire game of football at any level...

welp, you just want to talk shit on someone who is different.

Dude ain't perfect, by a long shot.  I like football and life in general WITH him in it, as opposed to same ole boring motherfuckers who play it safe.  Eat up your BBq, buttfumble  and then go whack off to your GOB pictures..

5 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

He pretends he's not being paid a lot of cash to get his team ready?  Did you just hear him say in the video he didn't do a good job getting his team  ready?  I suppose not.

And his teams "always" come flat for a bowl game?  He won 60% of his bowl games at TTU beating among others, I believe it was number 3 ranked Cal, Michigan St., Clemson, etc.  So if you're inclined to criticize, don't just make shit up.  

he won 55.6% of his bowl games at Tech and he did not beat MSU because he got himself fired Ruff coached that team

his only decent bowl win was against Cal and two of his other bowl games required massive comebacks in the 4th quarter against pretty shitty teams like a 6-6 Minnesota......because as usual mikes teams came out flat and the Clemson win was against a team that was 7-5 that year and the year before.....hardly the Clemson of today

and overall he is .500 in bowl games including the famous swung his sword New Mexico Bowl

and as the BBQ comment someone else made....well that coach has still accomplished more meaningful things in his career than mike ever has.....like winning the division, winning the conference, going to a BCS game, winning a BCS game and being ranked in the top 5

Edited by ButtFumble

Just because leach had sex with your wife doesnt mean you have to hate the guy

So sounds like Leach is done at WSU and ready to move on.  His team may quit on him.  This is exactly the same script from when he exited Tech.  Build the team, get some national respect, no conference championships or anything major but close, team starts failing, blame team and coaches.

I love Leach and he is great for football.  But to see this happen twice now is kinda looking like this may be on him.  IMO he takes teams to their max potential and gets frustrated that he can't take the next step.  Would really like to see how he does at a major school that has the recruiting of big players.  

3 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

So sounds like Leach is done at WSU and ready to move on.  His team may quit on him.  This is exactly the same script from when he exited Tech.  Build the team, get some national respect, no conference championships or anything major but close, team starts failing, blame team and coaches.

I love Leach and he is great for football.  But to see this happen twice now is kinda looking like this may be on him.  IMO he takes teams to their max potential and gets frustrated that he can't take the next step.  Would really like to see how he does at a major school that has the recruiting of big players.  

Tech went 9-4 in Leach's last season at Tech...in a rebuilding year.

The Red Raiders might have 9 wins in the next three years combined.

Edited by Iceman

2 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Tech went 9-4 in Leach's last season at Tech...in a rebuilding year.

Sorry, I am a little hungover this morning so I may be slow.  So WSU is going to go 9-4 in their rebuilding year and Leach is going to leave and then they will go back to the cellar?  Is that your point, cause that is exactly what happen to Tech.  It looks like it is setting up to be a very similar situation.

36 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

he won 55.6% of his bowl games at Tech and he did not beat MSU because he got himself fired Ruff coached that team

his only decent bowl win was against Cal and two of his other bowl games required massive comebacks in the 4th quarter against pretty shitty teams like a 6-6 Minnesota......because as usual mikes teams came out flat and the Clemson win was against a team that was 7-5 that year and the year before.....hardly the Clemson of today

and overall he is .500 in bowl games including the famous swung his sword New Mexico Bowl

and as the BBQ comment someone else made....well that coach has still accomplished more meaningful things in his career than mike ever has.....like winning the division, winning the conference, going to a BCS game, winning a BCS game and being ranked in the top 5

so shitty... yet doubled the number of bowl wins in PROGRAM HISTORY in just 10 years at the helm.  and you think that is an indictment of Leach, not the program.

and then you extoll the virtues of Tommy Quitterville?   LOlz.

Keep cranking out those talking points, bro.  You will NEVER be right about the situation or have a compelling case as to justify what happened.

Go fuck yourself and the people who destroyed Tech Football for their petty little ideas.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

Sorry, I am a little hungover this morning so I may be slow.  So WSU is going to go 9-4 in their rebuilding year and Leach is going to leave and then they will go back to the cellar?  Is that your point, cause that is exactly what happen to Tech.  It looks like it is setting up to be a very similar situation.

You said the team quit on Mike in his final season.  The results say otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Iceman said:

You said the team quit on Mike in his final season.  The results say otherwise.

I seem to remember when Leach was fired a lot of the players all calling him out, saying fans have no idea what's been going on etc.  A bitch move by players imo.  Implying that they had quit on him.  That whole situation was ugly.  I wish Leach was still at Tech.  Even if he had left later on to another program Tech's last 10 years would be different.

12 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I do too, because so far it looks like he couldn't beat UDub uf you gave him a thousand chances.

Exactly lol. That makes me laugh every year. He doesn't change, and it's humorous to see them go aggy wondering "why us"? As long as he stays away from our program, I don't care what he does. 

32 minutes ago, Modessit said:
8 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:
Before Texas, garrido turned the California equivalent of UT-Arlington into a national powerhouse and won titles with them. 

Everyone knows baseball is a girl's sport. Not that hard to win at a crap school.

it’s hard to win at aggy, and that’s a crap school. 

8 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

A better than decent example of your complete lack of objectivity, willingness to try very hard to criticize and desire to nitpick if that's what it takes in order to try and put ML in a negative light.  He went to 10 bowls in 10 years at TT.  

Not wanting to give him credit for the Michigan State win is a laugh..  He only recruited the entire TT team,  put it together, formulated and implemented the game plan, led practices and prepared the team the entire week of the game and so on.  Absurd on your part.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pigmeat markham said:

A better than decent example of your complete lack of objectivity, willingness to try very hard to criticize and desire to nitpick if that's what it takes in order to try and put ML in a negative light.  He went to 10 bowls in 10 years at TT.  

Not wanting to give him credit for the Michigan State win is a laugh..  He only recruited the entire TT team,  put it together, formulated and implemented the game plan, led practices and prepared the team the entire week of the game and so on.  Absurd on your part.

Nothing worse ever happened to Texas Tech than Mike Leach, well at least for exposing the underachievement of the program without him at the helm.  For your consideration:

In 74 years prior to Mike's arrival in Lubbock: 5 Bowl wins, 27 First Team All- Americans, and serious scholarship sanctions for academic fraud.

During the Mike Leach era: 5 Bowl wins, even without his team's win over Mich State,  6 1st Team All- Americans, stellar academic results for the football program, and a period of financial/ donor growth that was unprecedented.  he earned 10 bowl berths, despite inheriting a program with limited schollies and competing in what WAS the best division of any football conference in the country.  Oh yeah, that national press has kinda died down now, hasn't it?  It was so freaking tiresome, right?

In the 9 seasons since he left, Tech has 3 Bowl wins, 1 First-Team All- American, and a fanbase that leaves at halftime.

The railroad job has paid off in spades, for sure!!!

Want to examine the Wazzu results pre  and post?

Edited by Iceman
  • Like 2

On 9/29/2019 at 10:39 AM, thestud said:

Having played football with Taylor Potts since middle school, I kept up with him at Tech. Imagine my surprise when I saw some dude that looked exactly like him, but with the name “Nick” on the back of his jersey. That one was weird

Potts was a gamer.  Fun to watch play.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • immamac changed the title to No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]