No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]

Parliament

4 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Attention every coach who has not won a national championship: You are a loser!

You Lose Key And Peele GIF

Mike Leach has had plenty of chances to prove that he can win on a big stage. He's never done it. Sorry that i pointed out the truth about your coach hero. He is a funny personality but blaming your players for losses is Jimbo-esque and weak.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Attention every coach who has not won a national championship: You are a loser!

You Lose Key And Peele GIF

It was funny in 2018 when the DC at Washington made fun of Leach for running an offense at WSU that was so easy to defend. It was hilarious in 2019 during the Apple Cup when they revisited that comment while Washington was kicking Leach’s ass again. 

• Like 2

Pam and Buck, why can’t you just enjoy Leach’s drumming that aggy backside, his goofy commentary, and leave it at that?  The trolling of aggy and #CJK5H are enough. He doesn’t need to win anything of significance. It’s just entertainment anyway. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, nnm said:

Pam and Buck, why can’t you just enjoy Leach’s drumming that aggy backside, his goofy commentary, and leave it at that?  The trolling of aggy and #CJK5H are enough. He doesn’t need to win anything of significance. It’s just entertainment anyway. 

I think the Aggies are weird but I don’t have the obsession about them that Texas fans do. And beating them this year doesn’t seem to be all that great of a feat. I used to think Leach was funny but the novelty has worn off. I think his schtick has gotten old. I don’t respect a coach who throws his players under the bus and refuses to take any personal responsibility for his team’s failings. And it annoys me when his admirers celebrate his supposed coaching acumen whenever he comes up with a big upset win only to disappear when he inevitably loses a game he has no business losing. Which he always does. And he sucks in his big rivalry games. Maybe his players are afraid of those jerseys too. Or maybe he’s just not as good a coach as he’s cracked up to be.

At this point I think he’s someone more to be laughed at than laughed with.

• Like 1

Klatt's right--Leach should be more respectful and loyal to his players.

And the critics in this thread are correct--Leach will never win a national championship. Might not even win a conference championship.

But he's a decent enough coach, capable of elevating the performance and visibility of a low P5 program. He's also hilarious and a great interview.

As a recovering journalist, it's refreshing to have someone willing to go on the record with something outlandish instead of the usual pablum.

Plus, he gives aggy hell, on and off the field.

Overall, he's been a net positive for college football and I celebrate his entire catalog.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Klatt's late to the game but, as usual, he gets it right.

I appreciate where Klatt is coming from, but I appreciate Leach because he just states things that everyone is already thinking. You're not throwing players under the bus when they all but crawl up under it by their own doings. No need to make excuses for players that aren't executing simple things. Leach just pushes players buttons differently.

On 10/25/2022 at 5:50 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

It was funny in 2018 when the DC at Washington made fun of Leach for running an offense at WSU that was so easy to defend. It was hilarious in 2019 during the Apple Cup when they revisited that comment while Washington was kicking Leach’s ass again. 

DC at Washington. Hmm.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2022 at 8:53 PM, tx ind said:

Mike Leach is not a fan of his wide receivers sitting down on the sidelines, so he removed their chairs

The Mississippi State head coach also brought back a classic (?) line from his Texas Tech days.

ZACH BARNETT        NOV 7, 2022

Some time in the second half of Mississippi State's win over Auburn on Saturday, Mike Leach decided he'd had enough of his wide receivers. Or at least his wide receivers' actions when the offense wasn't on the field.

“We were in that period of time where it sure seemed to me we were a lot more interested in sitting in that chair than being on the football field or rooting for our teammates, so it was my opinion that we oughta be rooting for our teammates rather than kind of lounge it because we pretty much had everything but playing cards over there, so I thought it was time to move on from that," Leach said.

And so he removed the option of sitting from them.

After building a 24-3 first half lead, Mississippi State had to piece together a 6-play, 24-yard drive in 27 seconds to set up Massimo Biscardi's 44-yard field goal to tie the game with 29 seconds to play. Improbably, the Bulldogs had an opportunity to kick another field to win the game in regulation, which was short. 

The Bulldogs won the game, 39-33 in overtime. 

"I’ll get in trouble for this, I’m certain—but where instead of playing hard and getting a first down and getting a play, you wanna sit behind a shade tree, eat a fish sandwich and drink a lemonade with your fat little girlfriend, and that’s what we’re shooting for way too often," Leach said. When can we relax, making judgments on plays. It definitely bit us pretty hard and created some obstacles we had to fight through.”

Human nature will likely not be an issue this week. Mississippi State hosts No. 1 Georgia on Saturday night (7 p.m. ET, ESPN).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Mike Leach is not a fan of his wide receivers sitting down on the sidelines, so he removed their chairs

The Mississippi State head coach also brought back a classic (?) line from his Texas Tech days.

ZACH BARNETT        NOV 7, 2022

The pirate is a national treasure 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/9/2022 at 10:23 PM, Rhinotx said:

The pirate is a national treasure 

Yes he is! Winner of the Egg bowl. Hopefully Miss State will slay their bowl game also (hope we don’t play them.) as mentioned in the Egg Bowl thread rumors abound online about the Pirate’s health and it’s suggested due to that he will be resigning at the end of the season. The world needs more Pirate right now. Not less. But if all this is somehow true and it’s crappy if true, hopefully there will be a treatment plan for him and he makes a speedy recovery. I hate rumors but this one is all over online. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Yes he is! Winner of the Egg bowl. Hopefully Miss State will slay their bowl game also (hope we don’t play them.) as mentioned in the Egg Bowl thread rumors abound online about the Pirate’s health and it’s suggested due to that he will be resigning at the end of the season. The world needs more Pirate right now. Not less. But if all this is somehow true and it’s crappy if true, hopefully there will be a treatment plan for him and he makes a speedy recovery. I hate rumors but this one is all over online. 

What’s supposed to be wrong with him?
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

What’s supposed to be wrong with him?

I have no idea. Just online rumors that he will step down because of health. At the end of the year. Physically/appearance wise he hasn’t looked very good this year but that could all be bs rumors which is what I am hoping anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...

Mississippi State RB Dillon Johnson takes wild shot at Mike Leach while announcing decision to transfer

AA151TH2.img?w=612&h=408&m=6&x=485&y=121

Story by Jack Baer • 32m ago

Mississippi State running back Dillon Johnson is transferring from Starkville, apparently with head coach Mike Leach's stamp of approval.

The junior announced Wednesday he is leaving the program while taking a clear shot at Leach on his way out. After the usual collection of shout-outs and thank-yous, Johnson wrote the main reason for his decision is that he is "not very tough, and Leach is glad I am leaving."

You can imagine that line reflects a relationship gone very sour behind the scenes.

Johnson's full statement:

First and foremost, I would like to thank God for giving me the opportunity to showcase my talents at a college level. Without Him, I am nothing. Secondly, I would like to thank my family and friends for the endless love and support they have shown me throughout this season.

To Mississippi State University, my teammates, trainers, and amazing fans, it has been an honor to participate in this program with you all. Together you guys have helped me build my character and skill's [sic] tremendously. 

With that being said, since I am not very tough, and Leach is glad I am leaving, I will be entering my name into the transfer portal with that hopes of finding a more fit playing environment for me. Thank you.

Dillon Johnson

Johnson was part of Leach's first recruiting class at Mississippi State in the Class of 2020, but he initially committed to the program under previous head coach Joe Moorhead. A three-star recruit out Greenville, Miss., Johnson saw immediate playing time as a freshman alongside classmate Jo'quavious Marks.

This season, Johnson was second on the team in yards per scrimmage, behind only Marks, with 488 on the ground and 285 through the air, plus three touchdowns. He also played through knee and hip injuries in the Egg Bowl, telling reporters "I wasn't healthy at all" after the game, per the Commercial Dispatch.

He also reportedly said running the ball would be the key to Mississippi State's future success on offense, which could definitely be seen as another shot at Leach considering no team ran the ball less than the Bulldogs this season.

Johnson figures to be a notable name in the transfer portal, and while a feud with a former coach would normally be a bad look for a player, he is hardly the only player to have friction with Leach.

image.png

10 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Lots of rumors that he is going to be stepping down after the bowl season because of his health.

I hate to see it because the sport needs more characters in the sport like Leach

There was a rumor a few weeks ago that some Miss State folks were working some back channels in an attempt to hire Deion to replace The Pirate... I think this rumor was discussed on "The Dan Patrick Show"

"Very Interesting "

Edited by LTtxfan

18 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

There was a rumor a few weeks ago that some Miss State folks were working some back channels in an attempt to hire Deion to replace The Pirate... I think this rumor was discussed on "The Dan Patrick Show"

"Very Interesting "

Wasn't "The Dan Patrick Show" -- Found the rumor of Deion to Miss State discussion from around Nov 23rd

Deion Sanders TO WHERE?! Charles Barkley reveals the rumors 🍿  | ESPN College Football

I think the Aggies are weird but I don’t have the obsession about them that Texas fans do. And beating them this year doesn’t seem to be all that great of a feat. I used to think Leach was funny but the novelty has worn off. I think his schtick has gotten old. I don’t respect a coach who throws his players under the bus and refuses to take any personal responsibility for his team’s failings. And it annoys me when his admirers celebrate his supposed coaching acumen whenever he comes up with a big upset win only to disappear when he inevitably loses a game he has no business losing. Which he always does. And he sucks in his big rivalry games. Maybe his players are afraid of those jerseys too. Or maybe he’s just not as good a coach as he’s cracked up to be.
At this point I think he’s someone more to be laughed at than laughed with.

Leach: what I like

1. He’s funny as hell. He would be great personality on talk radio or podcast with a cohost to manage the show a bit.
2. He fucked Craig James son to the point of lawsuits
3. He holds players who are now pros responsible for execution instead of keeping them on entitlement pedestals they’ve mostly been on since junior high. Sorry it hurts their sensitive egos.

Don’t like:
Loser
  • Fuck You 1

From someone on Reddit, so take it with a grain of salt:

Spoiler

I'm from Jackson and live a mile from and have a ton of friends who work at UMC. Hearing through the grapevine he's been on life support and has been revived at least once. It's not looking good.

As an Ole Miss fan, I don't know a single other Ole Miss fan who doesn't like or respect Leach and I hope my people are wrong.

Leach: what I like

1. He’s funny as hell. He would be great personality on talk radio or podcast with a cohost to manage the show a bit.
2. He fucked Craig James son to the point of lawsuits
3. He holds players who are now pros responsible for execution instead of keeping them on entitlement pedestals they’ve mostly been on since junior high. Sorry it hurts their sensitive egos.

Don’t like:
Loser

Apparently, unaware that he had a radio show on Sirius, the gig that Neuheisel has now. He was not good at it. However, he did cough a lot while on the mic.

• immamac changed the title to No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]