No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]

Parliament

Okay, True Confessions time. I've hated that son-of-a-b**** for years when he was at tceh because he was a thorn in our side for too many years. However since he's not a pain in the ass anymore I've read more on him and kept up with his Antics more. I hate to say it but I'm really starting to like the crazy sumbitch

Edited by SHOOTER12

Okay, True Confessions time. I've hated that son-of-a-b**** for years when he was at tceh because he was a thorn in our side for too many years. However since he's not a pain in the ass anymore I've read more on him and kept up with his Antics more. I hate to say it but I'm really starting to like the crazy sumbitch

He pissed me off at Tech, but was entertaining. Being that I went to WSU for grad school and about 75% of my wife’s family went there he is becoming a god in Pullman. He’s also calmed down a lot the past 2 seasons not making stupid Vegas like calls and I think it’s starting to show.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I was admonished on twitter a few days ago because I said that he might stay in Pullman a little longer because he is treated well.  Someone told me that the AD at Wazzu was too corporate and buttoned down and would sooner, rather than later, get fed up with Leach and send him packing.  

But if that tweet is any example, it doesn't seem to be the case

Edited by DeadArmadillo
blame The Pirate

I was admonished on twitter a few days ago because I said that he might stay in Pullman a little longer because he is treated well.  Someone told me that the AD at Wazzu was too corporate and buttoned down and would sooner, rather than later, get fed up with Leach and send him packing.  
But if that tweet is any example, it doesn't seem to be the case

Nothing about Wazzu is corporate, not to say that a few boosters aren’t. But seriously, who could they get that’s better than Leach?Him being different is what made them relevant, and they have surprisingly deep pockets with a good AD. He really is a perfect fit up there, more so than Tennessee or some other schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

Running of Coach Leach after anything better than a 6-6 season would cause riots in Pullman.

Yeah, same thing at Tech except they ran him off during Christmas break so the students were gone and it was too cold for the locals to get out. Never underestimate old, entitled idiots

22 minutes ago, Tommy Shelby said:

Yeah, same thing at Tech except they ran him off during Christmas break so the students were gone and it was too cold for the locals to get out. Never underestimate old, entitled idiots

The cheap-ass cocksuckers fired him then to avoid having to pay him for taking them to a bowl game and for being the coach for the whole year. Then IIRC they hid behind what appeared to be a spurious claim of sovereignty (i.e. I'm the fucking King here, it's my fucking Court, my fucking Judges, you can't sue me) to avoid being compelled to pay him. I'm not sure that's ever been resolved. Fuck Kent Hance and the rest of those miserable assholes, regardless.

33 minutes ago, Tommy Shelby said:

Actually the timing mostly had to do with the fact that they had to do it in order to fuck him out of his completion bonus. The guys who were behind that are what you find under a rock.

29 minutes ago, Parliament said:

What kinda deal with Satan did Washington State hafta make to get him? Why do THEY get Mike Leach? What makes THEM so special?

Mike was unemployed hosting a Sirius radio show when we fired Paul Wolf.  Fans flooded our AD with request for him to get down to Key West and interview Leach.  Little did we know; Bill Moos had already pretty much locked up when he had fired Paul.  Maryland had interviewed Leach prior to us, but considered him toxic because he still had the on going litigation with Tech.  I guess what makes Wazzu special is they reached out when no body else did (excluding MD) and has build a department around embracing his quirkinesses.  How many other schools would pay what he's making and make things this comfortable for him?  

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

What kinda deal with Satan did Washington State hafta make to get him? Why do THEY get Mike Leach? What makes THEM so special?

They took the chance( out of desperation) on a guy nobody else would touch...

On 11/19/2018 at 7:57 PM, Parliament said:

Guess you'll find out in Pasadena if y'all beat Meathicken and they beat UW.  

Edited by Fart

I love Leach, but this is another example of why none of the big dogs would take him:

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/11/16/mike-leach-obama-tweet-conspiracy-video-lost-donations-washington-state

Spoiler

Washington State head coach Mike Leach's June tweet of a Barack Obama conspiracy video cost the university an estimated $1.6 million in donations, according to The Seattle Times.

University president Kirk Schulz estimated Wednesday that Leach's tweet cost the school over $1 milllion and then a spokesperson later confirmed it was $1.6 million, reports the Times.

"As the president mentioned, no one who had made a cash gift has asked for their money back," Marketing and Communications Vice President Phil Weiler said. "We did have five donors let us know that they had altered plans for their future giving, however. These were primarily estate gifts that would have been paid out upon the donor’s death. These planned estate gifts totaled $1.6 million."

Leach tweeted out a video clip of a 2014 speech Obama delivered to the European Union in Belgium. However, the clip was actually a deceptive edit that spliced together Obama's sentences to change their meaning. The video isolated a clause in which Obama said “ordinary men and women are too small-minded to govern their own affairs” but left out the rest of the paragraph, in which Obama described how that “alternative vision” has threatened the system of ideals that govern the United States and many countries in Europe.

Leach later deleted his original tweet, but not before taking a ton of flak for it online. The coach tweeted out out the complete text of the speech the following day.

"We put all of our head coaches and cabinet through social media training just to make sure people are aware that what they are doing often reflects on their job, not their private political views,” Schulz said. “At the end of the day, Coach Leach is like anyone else. He can elect to do some of those things as a private citizen."

I love Leach, but this is another example of why none of the big dogs would take him:

https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/11/16/mike-leach-obama-tweet-conspiracy-video-lost-donations-washington-state

Spoiler

Washington State head coach Mike Leach's June tweet of a Barack Obama conspiracy video cost the university an estimated $1.6 million in donations, according to The Seattle Times.

University president Kirk Schulz estimated Wednesday that Leach's tweet cost the school over $1 milllion and then a spokesperson later confirmed it was $1.6 million, reports the Times.

"As the president mentioned, no one who had made a cash gift has asked for their money back," Marketing and Communications Vice President Phil Weiler said. "We did have five donors let us know that they had altered plans for their future giving, however. These were primarily estate gifts that would have been paid out upon the donor’s death. These planned estate gifts totaled $1.6 million."

Leach tweeted out a video clip of a 2014 speech Obama delivered to the European Union in Belgium. However, the clip was actually a deceptive edit that spliced together Obama's sentences to change their meaning. The video isolated a clause in which Obama said “ordinary men and women are too small-minded to govern their own affairs” but left out the rest of the paragraph, in which Obama described how that “alternative vision” has threatened the system of ideals that govern the United States and many countries in Europe.

Leach later deleted his original tweet, but not before taking a ton of flak for it online. The coach tweeted out out the complete text of the speech the following day.

"We put all of our head coaches and cabinet through social media training just to make sure people are aware that what they are doing often reflects on their job, not their private political views,” Schulz said. “At the end of the day, Coach Leach is like anyone else. He can elect to do some of those things as a private citizen."

Nah, still would be welcome at the SEC except for maybe Florida. And I could see him being on the Arkansas and Ole Miss short list should they make a move in a year or two.

Surly RichRod got upset at home in his big season-ending rivalry game with the Pac-12 CCG and a possible playoff berth on the line. His sixth consecutive Apple Cup loss. 

But we forget the upset losses. We only remember the upset wins. Plus his offense is fun to watch when it's working and he gives funny press conferences. So he's great. He should be coaching someplace better. Just not at my school. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Surly RichRod got upset at home in his big season-ending rivalry game with the Pac-12 CCG and a possible playoff berth on the line. His sixth consecutive Apple Cup loss. 
But we forget the upset losses. We only remember the upset wins. Plus his offense is fun to watch when it's working and he gives funny press conferences. So he's great. He should be coaching someplace better. Just not at my school. 

Eh, they played in a shitload of snow. That’s not great for what the pirate does.

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

What's the excuse for the last five losses to UW?

I have no dog in this fight, but I'm not sure you have an equivalent of the shitty WSU program over in the B1G to compare what he's done there. We have Kansas but at least they are good at hoops and had some limited football success a decade ago.

that program outside maybe a couple better than average years is historic garbage.  So a coach who can recruit and get transfers in to a literal dumpster and turn them into a top of conference program, that's pretty good.  

I don't think he's a coaching great, but he sure looks like a good coach who has a great mind for football.  Hes turned around a middling and bottom feeder, so he might surprise a lot of people at an upper tier program with resources.  

3 hours ago, shnsajax said:

UW was clearly the better team. No problem giving them and Peterson credit. If Herman was to leave the next couple of years Peterson should be at the top of the list.

Petersen struggled mightily in a very down PAC 12 with a senior qb this year. I’ll take Herman over him any day. 

5 hours ago, Treefidy said:

I have no dog in this fight, but I'm not sure you have an equivalent of the shitty WSU program over in the B1G to compare what he's done there. We have Kansas but at least they are good at hoops and had some limited football success a decade ago.

that program outside maybe a couple better than average years is historic garbage.  So a coach who can recruit and get transfers in to a literal dumpster and turn them into a top of conference program, that's pretty good.  

I don't think he's a coaching great, but he sure looks like a good coach who has a great mind for football.  Hes turned around a middling and bottom feeder, so he might surprise a lot of people at an upper tier program with resources.  

Mike Price won two Pac-10 titles at WSU. That wasn't that long ago. 

Everybody wants to see what Leach could do at a more major program with better resources. But nobody wants it to be at their school. That 1-6 record against his big rival doesn't help. 

I would guess somewhere around 50% or more of P5 coaches don’t work out, have a losing to even record, and are gone in a few years. Leach has taken two little brother state schools and made them into consistently above average to good, and often, ranked teams. If you started your list from Saban on down, Leach would have to land in the top 10-20% of HCs, right? Nobody here is claiming he’s the second coming of Bill Walsh, but it would be more silly to say he sucks. His press conferences are just icing on the cake and a tie breaker over the other coaches that consistently win 8-10 games a year. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure what to think about Leach even after 7 seasons at WSU. Yes, Mike Price won two conference championships there - but it had been 60+ years since their previous one when Price won his first. It is a tough place to recruit to; the Palouse is really quite nice but it can be difficult to sell to 17-year olds from CA, Hawai'i, or the Seattle area. OTOH, it took the biggest collapse in Apple Cup history in 2012 or he'd be 0-7 against UW.

UW DC Jimmy Lake said last night that what Leach does is very effective but that he will not change it. Clearly Petersen figured out how to beat him and as Leach just keeps doing the same thing, until he proves he can adjust against what UW is doing, things may not change in the Apple Cup.

I think Leach is a perfect fit for WSU and vice-versa; they will let the Pirate swing his sword and embrace his ways, because without him may lie something far worse. Yet even with the outstanding results he's been putting up there, if he can't beat Washington even his seat will start warming up. I hope the Cougs make a big 6 bowl and do well - getting Leach back on a big stage is always an enjoyable thing.

Edited by flatdawgs
DC. Me idoit

Ouch:

Afterward, Huskies defensive coordinator Jimmy Lake let everyone know — again — just how little he thinks of Washington State’s offensive system.

“We know what type of offense we’re playing,” said Lake, who has made a tradition of mocking Mike Leach’s Air Raid scheme after each of these Apple Cup drubbings. “They do the same thing, year in and year out. This is five years in a row now, so it makes it real easy to game plan when an offense does the same thing every year.

“Obviously now with the conditions, and they only can do one thing, that probably handcuffs you a little bit. It was definitely to our advantage, and we took advantage of it.”

Washington State’s offense, he said, looked the same as it did in each of the previous four matchups, all of which were decided by at least 18 points.

“Exactly the same,” Lake said. “It makes it real easy for us. Next year, maybe he’ll throw a little curveball. But it makes it very easy when you know what you’re going to get, so it’s awesome.”

And in one more shot at Leach, Lake remarked, “In what I read about the head football coach here, he does things a bit different way. Hopefully, he remains here for a long time.”

56 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I would guess somewhere around 50% or more of P5 coaches don’t work out, have a losing to even record, and are gone in a few years. Leach has taken two little brother state schools and made them into consistently above average to good, and often, ranked teams. If you started your list from Saban on down, Leach would have to land in the top 10-20% of HCs, right? Nobody here is claiming he’s the second coming of Bill Walsh, but it would be more silly to say he sucks. His press conferences are just icing on the cake and a tie breaker over the other coaches that consistently win 8-10 games a year. 

all I'm saying is win something north of the Holiday Bowl or maybe an outright conference championship one day ...no one said he sucks, he is what he is ...he loses big games for conference championships, and never makes it over the hump 

45 minutes ago, flatdawgs said:

I'm not sure what to think about Leach even after 7 seasons at WSU. Yes, Mike Price won two conference championships there - but it had been 60+ years since their previous one when Price won his first. It is a tough place to recruit to; the Palouse is really quite nice but it can be difficult to sell to 17-year olds from CA, Hawai'i, or the Seattle area. OTOH, it took the biggest collapse in Apple Cup history in 2012 or he'd be 0-7 against UW.

UW OC Jimmy Lake said last night that what Leach does is very effective but that he will not change it. Clearly Petersen figured out how to beat him and as Leach just keeps doing the same thing, until he proves he can adjust against what UW is doing, things may not change in the Apple Cup.

I think Leach is a perfect fit for WSU and vice-versa; they will let the Pirate swing his sword and embrace his ways, because without him may lie something far worse. Yet even with the outstanding results he's been putting up there, if he can't beat Washington even his seat will start warming up. I hope the Cougs make a big 6 bowl and do well - getting Leach back on a big stage is always an enjoyable thing.

He's completely right that Leach does what he does and he doesn't change it. 

His offense really is feast or famine. When his teams play loose and on fire, they can be beat nearly anyone.  When they press or play tight, it doesn't work at all.  It's completely execution based.

While UW clearly has good schemes against Leach, if the blueprint was that simple you'd see all p12 teams adjusting and doing the same. 

My guess is uw has a good scheme against them and wsu is playing tight in a rivalry game (especially given the record now) and not executing the same way.  Leach never had a true rival at tech, but they usually looked the same way in big games vs ou.  In 2008, at minimum they should've given ou a game, but they looked out of sync all game and lost by 40.  

Edited by Bill Lumbergh

• immamac changed the title to No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]