Texas DB & LB Talk

LTtxfan

Out of all of your accomplishments in your life to this point, this is the one that makes us the most proud. You will go on to do great things in this world and we will be here for all of them until our time is up on this earth. Your smile says it all. The next chapter is waiting

FFtJZ4-XsAQSK4w?format=jpg&name=large

1:09 PM · Dec 3, 2021·Twitter for Android

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thx for this @BurntOrange&White 

BobbyBurton -- Inside Texas

The addition of Ryan Watts via the transfer portal continues a theme in this recruiting class for Texas, particularly on defense.

The Horns are adding length in the secondary, along with a more physical mindset overall from its recruits and now transfers.

Watts checks in at 6-foot-3 1/4 and 205 pounds with an 80-inch wingspan. At that size, he just won’t have the problems getting off blocks that so many Texas defenders had a year ago.

While linebacker play was particularly concerning against the run a year ago, the secondary was perhaps just as bad. Safeties couldn’t close and make enough tackles in space and cornerbacks, other than Josh Thompson, couldn’t get off blocks in routine fashion.

Adding a player like Watts should help the Texas run defense even though cornerbacks aren’t typically a focal point of run defense.

Where else does Texas need to look in the portal for immediate help?

I’d suggest wide receiver, tight end, linebacker and safety.

I’d even consider doubling up at receiver given Jordan Whittington’s repeated injury issues.

And not to pick on or point fingers at Luke Brockemeyer and DeMarvion Overshown, but both were recently ranked the very worst linebackers in the Big 12 by film grades given by Pro Football Focus.

So surely there is a linebacker out there that the Horns could pair with Jaylan Ford, who ranked in the middle of the pack in the Big 12, to become a more physical and sound football team.

The two points above - Watts and needs from the transfer portal - kind of mix into a theme for me.

To be a better defense next year, Texas needs to a) generate a better pass rush, b) be stronger at the point of attach at linebacker, c) get better safety play, and d) improve tackling generally.

Watts will help improve tackling. Maybe one of the young recruits can help with the pass rush or Ovie Oghufo improves with another year’s worth of seasoning in the scheme. The safety play should improve, but will BJ Allen be ready for prime time from day one?

At least I feel the Horns have attempted to address most of those issues in recruiting. But the one position where I don’t see it - at least not yet - is at linebacker.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Orange White Game...   Per Jeff Howe

"J.D. Coffey isn't dressed out. He's got a brace on his right knee."

Also from Howe:  "Jaylon Guilbeau is here. Jersey top only. Not participating." 

Edited by LTtxfan

Not sure why Jamison doesn't get any better -- that Worthy TD he gave up was too easy...  🙄

247 post on DBs and LBs

Didn’t see much from Brooks. He got beat several times and missed several tackles, including Roschon’s TD run. But you can watch him and know he’s going to be good. Watts is huge. He’s going to help. Jamison continues to give up TD’s. I swear he averages getting burnt for at least one explosive play TD per game. I liked Jamier Johnson way more than Jamison.

The safeties played well. When the EE freshmen got in there, Turner Gooden and BJ Allen, you could tell they were in over their heads. The speed of the game was too much and so was the physicality. It reminded me yet again how hard it is to come in at 18-19 years old and make plays against 21-23 year olds.

LB’s looked slightly better. Still don’t make enough plays closer to the L.O.S. imo…they meet RB’s at 4 yards and make the tackle for a 6 yard gain.

So, do these guys seriously think Worthy wouldn't burn Jamier Johnson when in single coverage?  Only a large, long, AND fast corner has a prayer against a player like Worthy in that situation, only guy we have like that is Watts.  Or a really long LB getting a lucky swat on the pass, which very nearly occured.

32 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Not sure why Jamison doesn't get any better -- that Worthy TD he gave up was too easy...  🙄

247 post on DBs and LBs

Didn’t see much from Brooks. He got beat several times and missed several tackles, including Roschon’s TD run. But you can watch him and know he’s going to be good. Watts is huge. He’s going to help. Jamison continues to give up TD’s. I swear he averages getting burnt for at least one explosive play TD per game. I liked Jamier Johnson way more than Jamison.

The safeties played well. When the EE freshmen got in there, Turner Gooden and BJ Allen, you could tell they were in over their heads. The speed of the game was too much and so was the physicality. It reminded me yet again how hard it is to come in at 18-19 years old and make plays against 21-23 year olds.

LB’s looked slightly better. Still don’t make enough plays closer to the L.O.S. imo…they meet RB’s at 4 yards and make the tackle for a 6 yard gain.

This is what I was worried about. I though the coaches moved the best CB in 2021 to Nickel this spring. 2 things were certain with the 2021 Longhorns, Jamison and C Jones would make at least 1 WTF play a game that I think is more about losing focus than anything 

FCB

— You could argue this year’s defense will only be as successful as the transition of several players who were moved to safety from other positions.

So far, so good. Texas coach Steve Sarkisian has said he already feels better about safety than he did last year.

Super senior Anthony Cook, the starting nickel cornerback last year who has now moved to boundary safety, capped off a strong spring with an interception of Quinn Ewers on Saturday night.

Cook teamed with first-team field safety Jerrin Thompson for most of the second half of spring football. Thompson might’ve had the play of Saturday’s scrimmage when he ripped the ball out of the hands of tight end Ja’Tavion Sanders as Sanders tried to bull his way into the end zone.

Junior Kitan Crawford, who moved from cornerback to field safety and got a bunch of first-team reps this spring, had a few big hits on Saturday night and looked comfortable in coverage.

The biggest hits in Saturday’s scrimmage, however, probably came from sophomore Morice Blackwell, who moved to boundary safety from linebacker this spring.

“I feel like the guys took it as the coach trying to make you better and putting you in a position to succeed,” Cook said of the players who moved to safety this spring. “No one took it with the wrong attitude.”

More importantly, the communication in the secondary, where there are also new faces at cornerback (junior Ohio State transfer Ryan Watts) and nickel cornerback (Jahdae Barron) has been on point, according to Cook.

Far too often last year as the Longhorns’ season fell from 4-1 into a six-game losing streak in Sarkisian’s first year, we saw a secondary that tended to start off well and then stopped communicating when adversity struck in the second half of games, resulting in big plays given up in both the run and passing game.

“I do feel like the communication has improved,” Cook said. “That’s been a big point of emphasis for us coming into spring. Every day, they’ve been hammered that in our minds, telling us to communicate, and I do feel like that’s a big difference compared to last season.”

Time will tell. But team sources have said the transitions to safety have been positive and that the attitudes and mental makeup of the players at safety - as well as Barron at nickel - is much improved over a year ago. And, honestly, could it have gotten much worse than it was a year ago?

Through 15 spring practices, at least, there are signs Texas will be much improved in the secondary.

I really like what I saw from Watts, Cook, Blackwell, Crawford and Barron.  I really think we need to find someone to take Jamison's place.  He's too boom or bust.  He's great at making plays on the ball and he'll also give up at least 1 long TD a game I feel like.  Those plays completely deflate a defense.  I would bring him in situationally and have him come off the bench.  I'd like to see Crawford supplant Thompson.  Thompson and Cook are a slow safety duo.  Crawford would add some much needed speed, but we would need to rely on Cook helping him figure out the mental aspect of it and help him line up.  I would also try Blackwell at Nickel.  He seems to fly to the ball and isn't afraid to get physical.  The guy was recruited here as a LB.  Not sure what his coverage skills are but I would try him there.   Brooks, Johnson, and BJ Allen will need more time in the program but they look like great culture fits as far as young player go.  Fully expect Guillbeau to be kicked off the team.   This is what I would be hoping for as far as our fall lineup:

CB:  Watts

BS:  Cook

FS:  Crawford

CB:  Barron

Nickel:  Blackwell 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I really like what I saw from Watts, Cook, Blackwell, Crawford and Barron.  I really think we need to find someone to take Jamison's place.  He's too boom or bust.  He's great at making plays on the ball and he'll also give up at least 1 long TD a game I feel like.  Those plays completely deflate a defense.  I would bring him in situationally and have him come off the bench.  I'd like to see Crawford supplant Thompson.  Thompson and Cook are a slow safety duo.  Crawford would add some much needed speed, but we would need to rely on Cook helping him figure out the mental aspect of it and help him line up.  I would also try Blackwell at Nickel.  He seems to fly to the ball and isn't afraid to get physical.  The guy was recruited here as a LB.  Not sure what his coverage skills are but I would try him there.   Brooks, Johnson, and BJ Allen will need more time in the program but they look like great culture fits as far as young player go.  Fully expect Guillbeau to be kicked off the team.   This is what I would be hoping for as far as our fall lineup:

I dont see that working.  I dont think Blackwell has the speed for Nickel. Right now I think the issue is do you keep Barron at CB or move him. IF you move him back is there anyone with enough athleticism to play NB? Johnson and Brooks didnt look ready, so I am not sure there is a perfect fit. 

Cook/Thompson or Cook/Crawford is miles better than anything we saw last year. All 3 show a willingness to stick their nose in the pile in the running game. Maybe it isn’t the fastest group and the recovery speed isn’t there with Cook and Thompson, but we need to clean up the plays that happen in front of the safeties before we worry about teams throwing the ball over our head.

9 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I totally agree about benching Jamison, he’s a three year starter still getting beat to the inside and can’t tackle… I also like Crawford at safety but idk about Blackwell at NB, he’s coming from LB and will probably cover the best WR in the slot. . So maybe Thompson at the NB

• 2 weeks later...