2020 French Open

shadow_operative2.0

3 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Jabeur over Sabalenka in 3, Sofia smoked Bara, Garbine/Collins 4-all in the 3rd now on TC. 

Bara is easy on the eyes.

3 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Garbine was up 3-0, 30-0 in this set, about to go home. 

Garbiñe is a fucking head case of classic mid-'80s proportions.

Her game is so superior to Collins', it's a joke, but her $0.02 brain helps her snag defeat from the jaws of a victory. She would be perfect for a Tom Herman-coached team. There were games in the Muguruza/Collins match where both women looked like they were trying to lose the game, but the other one wouldn't let her. Unforced error after unforced error would extend games to several deuces. They were just horrible.

4 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

Why were they playing so late?

Rain delay in the middle of the 2nd game of the first set.

They then moved to Chartrier (sp?) after Novak wasted his opponent in little time at all. They had about 90 minutes (+/-) between points in that second game.

It was an eventful day at the French Open and nary a comment after 7am.

From Rafa & Schwartzman destroying their opponents to the women's seeded players opting out of the quarterfinals...

To a 5'8" (OR really 5'6") 20 year-old French wildcard taking their reigning Grand Slam champ to 5 sets while the finalist in that Grand Slam getting schooled by a teenager who looked like he was a video game character.

So much tennis, but... meh.

5 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Podoroska into the semis. Who the hell is this Russian-Argentinian 

Sus visabuelos son de Ucraniana.

With great-grandparents from Ukraine, she beat Putintseva & Svitolina from Ukraine.

Her career winnings before Roland Garros were $301K according to Wiki and she topped that just getting to the Quarters. She is blowing past that getting to the semis.

I don't think that she had much of a juniors career because no one at the Tennis Channel knows anything about her.

Svitolina could have played much better, but the Argie was the bigger hitter and I feel like big hitting is what wins at the majors. Swiatek is suddenly a favorite for the finals, because she beats the shit out of the ball with accuracy & pace.

• Hook 'Em 1

My boy Schwartzman has been choking like a geek on a first date. 

Thiem was sluggish as hell until late 3rd set and should have won in straight sets, but choked away the 2nd & 3rd sets and Thiem is now energized and playing better than Schwartzman.

The play-by-play announcer wants to blow Thiem and sounds like he’s going to jump out of the booth every time Thiem wins a big point and is unimpressed by anything Schwartzman does. The fact that I’m pulling for Schwartzman makes it all the more grating. 

To paraphrase from the Football board...

Danielle Collins seems like she sucks.

And it’s not just her resting B face or her 35 year-old tennis mom neck at the age of 26. Her gamesmanship, screaming after an opponent’s miss hit, the fact that she got kicked out of team tennis (how is that possible), or taking a timeout late in a match...

You could infer from some of the announcers statements that it is highly unlikely that she has any friends on tour or in the USTA. 

32 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

How did Collins get kicked out of WTT? Lol. Anyways who would have thought 2 weeks after getting double bageled by Azarenka on clay,  Kenin would be in the semi finals of the French?

I would not have.

I think that I said within the last two weeks that I could see Kenin maybe making a few more Major semis in her career, but I couldn't imagine her ever making it to another Major final and especially couldn't see her winning one.

Well, she's had one opportunity to make a semifinal and she's made it.

The 17 year-old kid who beat Jen Brady in the first round would have crushed almost every female player that I've seen in this tournament, but she injured herself in that win and was a shell of herself in the 2nd round and was out. I really think that Jen Brady would have made the quarters, and possibly as far as the finals if not for that freak of scheduling.

Just watched Kenin’s press conference clip on RolandGarros.com and continue to be amused at her mistakes when speaking English. 

~”stay on the ground” = “stay grounded”

-she left out a preposition (I think) in another sentence. 

I wonder when she dropped out of school to be “home schooled” by her Russian parents. 

She needs an English speech coach/PR person to help her smooth out the ESL mistakes. It’s not like you can’t understand her, she just doesn’t speak a fluidly as she should for a person who grew up here. 

58 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

I just saw that too, she basically meant standing her ground on court, not staying grounded. You fixate on some weird things. 

I had some middle school/ high school friends whose mother’s were from various European countries, I’ve been to over 20 countries, and I lived in Argentina for over 7 years and in addition to having expat friends from all over the world, I gained certification to teach English as a foreign language and did so for over 5 years. I made a living listening for errors. 

I hear grammar mistakes every time I watch TV and listen to the radio. Kenin’s English doesn’t sound like the English of a person who grew up speaking English with friends and in school. I first noticed this at the Australian Open, but her vowels have improved since January. I’m sure that she’s already working with a speech coach. 

I don’t have to be paying close attention to pick out idiosyncrasies, mistakes, or regional influences in someone’s English. Sometimes, like in Nadia presser, they can be quite charming.