Subway's Bread ruled Sugar Bread - (Ireland)

Neonmoon

Contains too much sugar to be considered a staple food such as bread in Ireland per Ireland Supreme Court. 

https://www.thejournal.ie/subway-sandwiches-5218826-Sep2020/?utm_source=twitter_short

THE SUPREME COURT today ruled that sandwiches made by Subway contain too much sugar to legally be considered bread. 

The ruling today arose from an appeal from Bookfinders Ltd, a Subway franchisee, which claimed that it should not have to pay VAT as many products it sells are “staple foods” and should attract a 0% VAT rate. 

However, the five-judge court ruled that the sandwiches must attract a rate of VAT due to its sugar content. 

The law states that for bread to be considered a “staple product” and not attract VAT, it “shall not exceed 2% of the weight of flour included in the dough”. Subway’s bread has a 10% ratio. 

This appeal arises from a claim submitted to the Revenue Commissioners by Bookfinders Ltd in December 2006. In the claim, the Subway franchisee sought a refund for VAT payments made from the period January/February 2004 to November/December 2005 at a rate of 9.2%, which it claimed should instead have been subjected to 0% VAT.

The court ruled “to exclude the bread used by the appellant in their sandwiches from being considered as bread under para. (xii) of the Second Schedule, as the sugar content in the bread exceeded the percentage allowed in the Schedule.

“The Schedule excluded bread from the 0% rate where any of a number of specified ingredients exceeded the allowed percentages.”

Bookfinders argued that all of the ingredients if included, would have to have exceeded the allowed percentage in order to fall outside the 0% rate (and not just the sugar) and into the 13.5% rate. The judges rejected this argument also, agreeing that it was clear that once the allowed percentage was exceeded for any one ingredient, the bread lost the 0% rate.

The franchisee also argued that certain VAT rates applied to cooked products and cold products which had subsequently been heated. It argued that only cold tea and coffee which had been heated fell under the 13.5% rate, while tea and coffee which was prepared hot came under the 0% rate.. The Court similarly rejected this argument.

Nothing says nourishment like walking into a subway and smelling the pungent scent of fresh baked cardboard mixed with sugar and flower, upon which you place 3 slices Hill Country Fare level fine meats, and some real actual vegetables that are commercially harvested, all served by someone who’d just as soon shit on your sandwich.  Subway is the Cleveland Browns of public nutrition: dirty, disappointing, and generally lacking any value.  

• Hook 'Em 2

22 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Nothing says nourishment like walking into a subway and smelling the pungent scent of fresh baked cardboard mixed with sugar and flower, upon which you place 3 slices Hill Country Fare level fine meats, and some real actual vegetables that are commercially harvested, all served by someone who’d just as soon shit on your sandwich.  Subway is the Cleveland Browns of public nutrition: dirty, disappointing, and generally lacking any value.  

Sugar & flower? Is that a euphemism for bud?

23 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I tried, I really tried to stay off this thread.  But you've gone and violently insulted HEB.  I've always liked HEB, but during Covid-19, I've fallen in love.  Hill Country Fare meat quality is light years beyond the quality of Subway meats.  I like the 'Cleveland Browns of Public Nutrition.'  You gotta give 'em credit though, they invented the genre, blew up globally, inspired a dozen competitors, have been sued within an inch of their lives a dozen times, lied through their teeth to the American Public at every turn, but they keep coming back and Americans keep shoveling that shit down.  

But, Subway literally buys the same grade meat from their regional suppliers as goes to that region's prisons and government-assisted lunches for public schools.  It's also the lowest percentage of actual meat in each slice that is legally allowed to be sold, according to the FDA.  The rest is added water above what the meat already contained and then commercially pungent chemical binders that act as a type of gel to hold it together.  Subway is the largest purchaser of food-grade chemical binders in the United States.  That's the reason their bread is the way it is, if they used normal bread---the water-gel that people call "turkey" would soak right through your hoagie.  

Now, if you'll excuse me...I have an HEB curbside pickup to go get.  

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I tried, I really tried to stay off this thread.  But you've gone and violently insulted HEB.  I've always liked HEB, but during Covid-19, I've fallen in love.  Hill Country Fare meat quality is light years beyond the quality of Subway meats.  I like the 'Cleveland Browns of Public Nutrition.'  You gotta give 'em credit though, they invented the genre, blew up globally, inspired a dozen competitors, have been sued within an inch of their lives a dozen times, lied through their teeth to the American Public at every turn, but they keep coming back and Americans keep shoveling that shit down.  

But, Subway literally buys the same grade meat from their regional suppliers as goes to that region's prisons and government-assisted lunches for public schools.  It's also the lowest percentage of actual meat in each slice that is legally allowed to be sold, according to the FDA.  The rest is added water above what the meat already contained and then commercially pungent chemical binders that act as a type of gel to hold it together.  Subway is the largest purchaser of food-grade chemical binders in the United States.  That's the reason their bread is the way it is, if they used normal bread---the water-gel that people call "turkey" would soak right through your hoagie.  

Fair/Fare assessment.  Wasn’t denigrating H‑E‑B as much as trying to utilize HCF as a euphemism. 

15 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Fair/Fare assessment.  Wasn’t denigrating H‑E‑B as much as trying to utilize HCF as a euphemism. 

I know man, just ranting.  I really like the Browns thing, I'm stealing that.  And I'm going to say it in the voice of Lois' father on "Family Guy"..."Eat at Subway...ah yes the Cleveland Browns of Public Nutrition...sign me up!  The franchise that answers the question...'What if a Quizno's got looted?"  

That should tell people in Texas not to eat there...the closest comparison to their shitty meat is HCF which is so far above, the comparison completely breaks down.  Their bread is in the news every couple years and people don't get it...they're not trying to be assholes or criminals about their bread...they just need to make their bread like that because the lawsuits over it are still cheaper than changing up their meat.  That bread is made the way it is because you really don't want to see what's in the "meat."  

38 minutes ago, Lobo said:

The FDA doesn’t regulate meat products in the USA.

This whole situation is a taxation issue not a food quality issue.

Of course it’s lowest common denominator in regards to “quality“, It’s $5 for a fucking footlong sandwich hand assembled to your specifications.  Realistically,  a Subway sandwich is a modern marvel of food production and distribution.

2 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

The FDA doesn’t regulate meat products in the USA.

This whole situation is a taxation issue not a food quality issue.

Of course it’s lowest common denominator in regards to “quality“, It’s $5 for a fucking footlong sandwich hand assembled to your specifications.  Realistically,  a Subway sandwich is a modern marvel of food production and distribution.

Yeah, my bad...USDA, not FDA.  My brain was already fried from the alphabet soup of government agencies and Covid-19 basically said, "Hold my beer." 

You're right, the first clue about Subway isn't the smell, the bread, the water-congealed meats, or the shit swimming around in the 'cooling' bin below the tubs of grime...it's that you walked in there in the first place because the sign said "$5 footlongs." and you know deep down inside...they're somehow still making a shitload of money off the deal.  

6:00 Arise, play the Eyes of Texas and Texas Fight at full-freaking blast

6:20 Get in car, drive to New Braunfels

7:30 Tee off (me and a buddy were the FIRST tee-time of the morning)

8:50 Turn 9 (crack open first beer)

8:53 Crack open second beer

7:12 We have stopped for gas. I am hungry. I go inside the store. I walk past the beer frig. I notice a Zima. I've never had a Zima. I wonder if it's any good. I pull a Zima from the frig. I twist the top off and drink the Zima in three swallows. Zima sucks. I replace the empty bottle in the frig.

7:17 There is a Subway in the store. I walk to where the ingredients are, where the person usually makes the sub. There is no one there. I lean over the counter and scoop out half a bucket of black olives. I eat them. I am still hungry. I lean further over the counter and grab approximately two pounds of Pastrami. I walk out of the store grunting and eating Pastrami. The patrons in the store fear me. I don't care.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, my bad...USDA, not FDA.  My brain was already fried from the alphabet soup of government agencies and Covid-19 basically said, "Hold my beer." 

You're right, the first clue about Subway isn't the smell, the bread, the water-congealed meats, or the shit swimming around in the 'cooling' bin below the tubs of grime...it's that you walked in there in the first place because the sign said "$5 footlongs." and you know deep down inside...they're somehow still making a shitload of money off the deal.  

And then you look at the floor....

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

6:00 Arise, play the Eyes of Texas and Texas Fight at full-freaking blast

6:20 Get in car, drive to New Braunfels

7:30 Tee off (me and a buddy were the FIRST tee-time of the morning)

8:50 Turn 9 (crack open first beer)

8:53 Crack open second beer

7:12 We have stopped for gas. I am hungry. I go inside the store. I walk past the beer frig. I notice a Zima. I've never had a Zima. I wonder if it's any good. I pull a Zima from the frig. I twist the top off and drink the Zima in three swallows. Zima sucks. I replace the empty bottle in the frig.

7:17 There is a Subway in the store. I walk to where the ingredients are, where the person usually makes the sub. There is no one there. I lean over the counter and scoop out half a bucket of black olives. I eat them. I am still hungry. I lean further over the counter and grab approximately two pounds of Pastrami. I walk out of the store grunting and eating Pastrami. The patrons in the store fear me. I don't care.

I thought it was Blimpie.

I will always have a bit of a soft spot for Subway because the first one I ever encountered was on the ground floor of Castilian at the corner of 24th and San Antonio.  If the food in the Castle caf was inedible, a trip down to the Subway satisfied on the cheap.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Underdog said:

Sugar & Flower - 60s female music duo?  

Close....

Wayland-Flowers-and-Madam.png?resize=504

I've got to be honest, I still crack up at the end of the "They ate so much Subway that Grandpa Watts opened one in the backyard shed" commercial.

"What comes on the Italian?"
(Exasperated) "You come here EVERY DAY!"

115545.jpg

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Close....

I've got to be honest, I still crack up at the end of the "They ate so much Subway that Grandpa Watts opened one in the backyard shed" commercial.

115545.jpg

They should have made it an electrical shed, where you only go when you have a concussion, and had an RIP 5HKRS tombstone off to the side.

35 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Close....

115545.jpg

LOL...  nice call back on Madame. 

16 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

tumblr_p0i4kfkGBR1vu4o04o1_500.gifv

Must be nice to be a Subway exec and know that you can do whatever the fuck you want--including knowingly poisoning people--and it will only be, at worst, the 2nd worst thing to happen to their brand. Too big to fail or some shit.

I don't know a single person that's eaten at a Subway or Burger King more than once or twice in the past decade, but they just keep on kicking.

Your semen is carbonated?  I mean, mine has a citrus hue to it, but I never thought to add bubbles.  She's a dynamite lady though.  

Yeah, I really never stopped to think about the Jared factor.  As much as we bag on them, and as much as they poison communities of color with their food, they also...in addition...had a known pedophile serve as their spokesman for like 15 years...which is ironic because that's not long enough for Subway (they had him signed through this year)...but it's way too old for Jared.  

To Aggie08's point.....I agree with you on Burger Kind.  But I know way too many friends and family that still eat at Subway on the reg.  Say what you want about them...their "Eat Fresh" manta was simple and it stuck.  You show people enough veggie loaded sandwiches and then offer them a foot of that shit for $5...you're gonna move some product.  Very reasonable people I know, to this day, still think it's a healthy alternative to any other fast food option.  Plus, their real genius is they put their shops where nobody else would dare venture. 

On 10/2/2020 at 1:47 PM, TwiceHorn said:

I thought it was Blimpie.

I will always have a bit of a soft spot for Subway because the first one I ever encountered was on the ground floor of Castilian at the corner of 24th and San Antonio.  If the food in the Castle caf was inedible, a trip down to the Subway satisfied on the cheap.

That Subway, Mad Dogs, and the Munchies stand were the golden triangle of lunch, dinner, and late night dinner in the late 80s when I lived around the corner...

On 10/1/2020 at 9:47 AM, Trey3216 said:

The bright yellow made me feel like I was eating a 7-11 sandwich in a giant urinal. And I'm not a picky eater.

On 10/3/2020 at 2:59 AM, aggie08 said:

Must be nice to be a Subway exec and know that you can do whatever the fuck you want--including knowingly poisoning people--and it will only be, at worst, the 2nd worst thing to happen to their brand. Too big to fail or some shit.

I don't know a single person that's eaten at a Subway or Burger King more than once or twice in the past decade, but they just keep on kicking.

All that processed fast food is poison; peddling arguably the single most addictive and devastating drug that kills more Americans than almost anything else:  sugar.  

And we all do it.  Just a matter of keep the occurrences to a minimum.  Hell, the Whataburger off 423 in The Colony, I'd hit that more if I didn't have to wait 30-45 minutes for them to fuck up my order.  

Say what you will about the good people at Whataburger, I bet their execs never walked past a yoga mat display and thought, "I bet two of those together could keep our congealed binder-meats from soaking all the way through.  Get that pedophile on the phone, we're drumming up a new marketing campaign."  

• 2 weeks later...

I respect Taco Bell because they’re transparent about who they are.  They’re garbage fuel for laborers, stoners, drunks, and teenagers.  They never attempted an “eat fresh” campaign, there’s no “healthier options” segment of the menu.  They never bothered with a weight loss icon as a spokesman.  They don’t pretend their veggies are some fun, healthy way to spruce up your entree.  They don’t bother insulting your intelligence with a “carb conscious” or gluten free way to make your nachos or burrito.  They shovel the same 7 ingredients into your faves done 107 different ways for under $6.  They’re also the only fast food place I’ve ever seen thst openly Admits on the drive thru menu that none of their “fruit juices” contain any fruit.  

they’re garbage.  But they’re honest garbage.  Subway had fooled stupid America for 30 years and they’re preyed upon vulnerable populations.  So has Taco Bell but they admitted it up front. 

On 10/2/2020 at 10:43 AM, Lobo said:

They have a great business model.  Be super cheap and pretend to be healthier than McD's even if they aren't.  I'm surprised they still sell Lay's brand chips.  They have the scale to make their own at lower cost and quality than Lay's.