The Trump + Covid thread

Gil Bang

2 additional takes:

#1 This is not a national security concern. This is a national security crisis. Just like the game theory scenarios & contingencies we posit/analyze, our enemies do the same. What if information, true or not, gets out to our enemies that POTUS is in ICU? Intubated? This makes an attack, directly on us or our interests, all the more likely. Even if Trump never sneezes or coughs, he put all of our lives at risk.

#2 Trump and McEnany knew Hope Hicks tested positive yesterday morning. They both knew they had been in close quarters with her for days. Trump still went & mingled/shook hands at an out of state fundraiser with a lot of mask-less people. McEnany still did a press conference packed with reporters in a small room, and she didn't wear a mask. This recklessness is evil, and will resonate with undecided voters.

There is no possible positive spin on this for Trump.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

I’m more worried about him potentially infecting Biden at the debate.

It’s karma that he has it, IMO.

Peak 2020 would be Trump getting it, infecting Biden who dies, and Trump recovers to narrowly beat Kamala Harris in the election. It's probably the most likely thing to happen because 2020 gonna 2020

• Haha 1

If he weren't already exhibiting symptoms, I don't think they would've announced it at midnight last night. So, yeah, I think he's sick and in spite of his comorbidities he's still more than likely going to survive this thing, but he could still be sick for several weeks.

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I think y’all that are saying he’s lying are crazy. 
There is zero upside to this for him. 

The fact that it would be a colossally stupid strategy doesn’t mean these colossally stupid people wouldn’t think it’s a good idea. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I don’t get the obsession with what “people are talking about.” Nobody is talking about how bad Charlie Strong fucking sucked, but it’s still common knowledge.
Trump is now holed up for the foreseeable future with everyone’s most recent impression being his lunatic debate performance where he refused to denounce white supremacists. And now the video clips of him mocking masks and making fun of Biden will circulate, as will the news that he carelessly exposed others after knowing about Hicks’s positive test.
If this is some sort of 4D chess, it’s his campaign’s dumbest move yet.

• Hook 'Em 2

If you say “he doesn’t have COVID” they’re gonna come back with “well you’re the ones who said it was real and how bad it was, so are you saying it’s not now?” And if you say “serves him right” then you’re being horrible and hateful.

And if he comes out fine then he’ll say “I had it, it wasn’t bad, see, it’s survivable”

He’s off the radar essentially for 2 weeks. Two weeks uninterrupted to prep for debate.

He’ll say he had it and no one else got sick- “it’s not that contagious”

And then the whole “I’ve had it, I’m in this with you” unity bull shit...

7 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Disagree about national security crisis. Everyone home and abroad knows better decisions will be made without Trump being involved 

This is silly. Any transfer of power, any break in protocol, is a significant national security risk. 

4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I’m more worried about him potentially infecting Biden at the debate.

It’s karma that he has it, IMO.

Karma would be if he has a serious case.  If he can just laugh it off in a few days and say I’m a fat old man who had no symptoms, that’s not karma at all imo.  And it sounds like the fuckhead is just fine.  This strain isn’t the C19 we need, but it’s the C19 we deserve.  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Wait, what? Does that mean last Wednesday? Because being most contagious after symptoms begin to subside seems off.

No, this past Wednesday she was becoming ill while traveling with the president, meaning the days prior to that is when she was likely the most contagious.

Edited by bolverk
I need coffee.

No, this past Wednesday she was becoming ill while traveling with the president, meaning the days prior to that is when she was likely the most contagious.
But that's not what it says. It says she was most contagious Wednesday and most symptomatic Monday and Tuesday.

2 additional takes:

#1 This is not a national security concern. This is a national security crisis. Just like the game theory scenarios & contingencies we posit/analyze, our enemies do the same. What if information, true or not, gets out to our enemies that POTUS is in ICU? Intubated? This makes an attack, directly on us or our interests, all the more likely. Even if Trump never sneezes or coughs, he put all of our lives at risk.

#2 Trump and McEnany knew Hope Hicks tested positive yesterday morning. They both knew they had been in close quarters with her for days. Trump still went & mingled/shook hands at an out of state fundraiser with a lot of mask-less people. McEnany still did a press conference packed with reporters in a small room, and she didn't wear a mask. This recklessness is evil, and will resonate with undecided voters.

Hanlon’s Razor

2 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

Three things stand out for me:

One,Trump chiding Biden about wearing a mask during the debate

and

Two, DOTARD being ordained the chosen one from himself, evangelicals, and Rick Perry.  Yep, the chosen one has COVID.  F'k, we're a stupid nation.  

and 

Three, we are the laughing stock of the world.  

Ok, now let me do Trumptard fan:

1. Trump isn’t a scared pussy like Biden.  He’s built like a brick shithouse, just look at him!

2. Trump has no symptoms and didn’t even need a visit to the hospital (Trump himself will be blasting this very soon)

3. Fuckkkk the world!   Merica!!!

7 minutes ago, cattail said:

If you say “he doesn’t have COVID” they’re gonna come back with “well you’re the ones who said it was real and how bad it was, so are you saying it’s not now?” And if you say “serves him right” then you’re being horrible and hateful.

And if he comes out fine then he’ll say “I had it, it wasn’t bad, see, it’s survivable”

He’s off the radar essentially for 2 weeks. Two weeks uninterrupted to prep for debate.

He’ll say he had it and no one else got sick- “it’s not that contagious”

And then the whole “I’ve had it, I’m in this with you” unity bull shit...

He doesn't have two weeks to sit around and do nothing. Early voting will be going in most of the country by then.

Just now, SimonBolivar said:

He doesn't have two weeks to sit around and do nothing. Early voting will be going in most of the country by then.

A big reason he won last time is that Kellyanne or Bannon took his phone away from him the last week so he couldn’t tweet. He basically kept himself out of the news and let the media focus on Hillary’s emails. They may be figuring that a similar play is their only chance at this point.

28 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

2 additional takes:

1.  No, the constitution has clauses for this and they've been used before.  Even if Pence becomes incapacitated, the Speaker becomes president.

11 minutes ago, gmr548 said:
14 minutes ago, bolverk said:

But that's not what it says. It says she was most contagious Wednesday and most symptomatic Monday and Tuesday.

I see what you're saying now and, yeah, that doesn't make sense. They must've mixed it up. Otherwise, I don't have an explanation.

2 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Lol at the media this morning gritting their teeth and saying “We’re all praying for a speedy recovery.”

Then again Trump is their meal ticket so who knows.

Right. Once he's out of office, none of us will ever watch or listen to the news ever again.

If he weren't already exhibiting symptoms, I don't think they would've announced it at midnight last night. So, yeah, I think he's sick and in spite of his comorbidities he's still more than likely going to survive this thing, but he could still be sick for several weeks.

I heard somebody say the NYT said he sounded “raspy” in their interview with them.

• immamac changed the title to The Trump + Covid thread
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic