The Trump + Covid thread

Gil Bang

13 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

1.  No, the constitution has clauses for this and they've been used before.  Even if Pence becomes incapacitated, the Speaker becomes president.

I vote yes.  In addition to everything else on this thread, this doesn’t feel like his *brand* of lies.  His lies are usually regarding retelling of history, squishy on objective facts (“best economy of all time”), necessarily  deniable (no quid pro quo) or of smaller things that no one would care when he is caught.

this one is too verifiable.  Too much other fallout on forward looking things that he’d have to coordinate to  keep the lie going (quarantines, other people sick, debate rescheduling, whatever) 

edit to add: I forgot to mention why I quoted the above.  The line of succession isn’t in the constitution.  It’s in the succession act, and there are real constitutional concerns with it.  That would be the REAL destabilizing concern, if there was a fight whether president pelosi or president pompeo was the real authority. 

Edited by BehoId, The Underminer!

Honestly, I do see a positive in this for Trump.    If he doesn't get worse or even just has milder symptoms, he still gets to use the "see, it's not that bad" card.   Now, how good does that do with any undecided voters?   Not sure.  But he'll be on TV ranting and raving about how he beat it.   

Just now, Macanudo said:

Honestly, I do see a positive in this for Trump.    If he doesn't get worse or even just has milder symptoms, he still gets to use the "see, it's not that bad" card.   Now, how good does that do with any undecided voters?   Not sure.  But he'll be on TV ranting and raving about how he beat it.   

This is our concern, my dude.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

1.  No, the constitution has clauses for this and they've been used before.  Even if Pence becomes incapacitated, the Speaker becomes president.

Is a VP or Speaker, thrust in to the Presidency, as likely to respond as decisively as a to a threat as a sitting President? Is there a lull, even if it is an hour or 20 minutes, in efficacy of US response due to a transfer of power? Could this slight vulnerability be seen as a tactical advantage by an enemy? Perhaps a rare advantage, and one that has to be immediately seized by one of our enemies?

Trump made us all less safe by getting Covid-19. 

Is a VP or Speaker, thrust in to the Presidency, as likely to respond as decisively as a to a threat as a sitting President? Is there a lull, even if it is an hour or 20 minutes, in efficacy of US response due to a transfer of power? Could this slight vulnerability be seen as a tactical advantage by an enemy? Perhaps a rare advantage, and one that has to be immediately seized by one of our enemies?

I may not like her policies but Pelosi is a stone killer. I’d want her in my corner during a threat.

Pence...
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This

yep. 

let's not be left wing Q'sters.  there is no verifiable fact to refute his statement.  and truly, his behavior suggests he should have contracted it weeks or months ago.  that's the difference with a lot of what comes out of his mouth, reality says otherwise.  here reality easily suggests he's dumb and he got it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JFKFC said:

If this was a normal president those concerns are valid.  With this lazy fat bastard, we are much better off with him incapacitated.  Think about it, he’s no more useless today than he was yesterday, but today we may be allowed to let someone step in for his ass.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Don’t understand this line of thinking. Everyone already knows that the majority of cases don’t end in death, it’s not like he’d be revealing anything new. I mean, sure, the same people that share cartoons of Trump with a superhero’s body will get aroused, but I just don’t see how “LOOK AT ME, I BEAT THE VIRUS THAT HAS KILLED 200K OTHERS” comes off as anything other than the same brutal arrogance that currently has Trump in the worst polling position of any candidate in decades.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

There’s already reporting that staffers noticed he seemed very fatigued on Wednesday.

2 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

Is this sitting President likely to act "decisively"? Yes.  

Will he act idiotically and ignoring the advice of professionals who have trained for such a threat all their lives?  Absolutely.

Trump made us less safe by being President.  He probably actually makes us more safe with the virus.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Just now, Chuckie Finster said:

Don’t understand this line of thinking. Everyone already knows that the majority of cases don’t end in death, it’s not like he’d be revealing anything new. I mean, sure, the same people that share cartoons of Trump with a superhero’s body will get aroused, but I just don’t see how “LOOK AT ME, I BEAT THE VIRUS THAT HAS KILLED 200K OTHERS” comes off as anything other than the same brutal arrogance that currently has Trump in the worst polling position of any candidate in decades.

Again, just because it would be extremely stupid doesn’t mean these extremely stupid people wouldn’t think it’s a good idea. They’re dumb fucking people who do dumb people shit all the time. Their only concern ever is winning the current media cycle and they were getting hammered. This changes the narrative and they’re working now on how to use it to their advantage.

That’s not to say it can’t be real. Hell, it probably is. But it being dumb does nothing to diminish the odds of it being a hoax, because these are dumb people who do dumb shit all the time.

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't think it moves the needle too much electorally. Very few undecideds and I think everyone just assumes those are Trump voters anyway.

What it could do is really hurt the public health response. If Trump gets over COVID with a mild case, which is most likely even given age and obesity, and its certainly what the white house will report regardless (unless he goes to the hospital) 45 percent of this country is going back to February. Full stop.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I just thought about how the WH briefing room always has someone unmasked speaking to a room full of people, who are usually masked. However they could have easily placed a plexiglass shield in front of the podium to protect everyone in that room. Almost every store or fast food counter has that shield but not the people that run the most important govt in the world...

• Like 1

Well I don’t see that there’s a huge upside for Trump here, I do think there’s a huge upside for the Republican party. It will be a lot Harder to punish all the people associated with Trump over the next few years. No one likes to speak ill of the dead.

What I’m trying to say is we need to keep a close eye for any transfers of money from Mitch McConnell to Agent Hicks bank account.

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Is this sitting President likely to act "decisively"? Yes.  

Will he act idiotically and ignoring the advice of professionals who have trained for such a threat all their lives?  Absolutely.

Trump made us less safe by being President.  He probably actually makes us more safe with the virus.

I disagree.

I know Pence tested virus free this morning. It isn't wildly impossible that he eventually tests positive. Let's say both he & Trump wind up in the ICU. ANY attempt for Pelosi to assume power will be met with massive legal challenges. There will be a prolonger period of uncertainty. The US will be extremely vulnerable. This isn't a million to one shot. This could reasonably happen. 

the way you evaluate a statement for lying is you compare it to the facts.  if you jump straight to the conclusion it's a lie and look for motivations for the lie, you'll always find something.  That's how conspiracy theories gain traction.  There is NO verifiable fact or circumstance to suggest this is false.  there are plenty of facts to suggest it is true.  let's not be dumb Americans here.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

I don't think he's been in that close of contact with Pence over the few days.  Pence didn't travel to the debate with him and I've not seen anything about Pence helping with debate prep.

Edited by kevwun

3 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Well I don’t see that there’s a huge upside for Trump here, I do think there’s a huge upside for the Republican party. It will be a lot Harder to punish all the people associated with Trump over the next few years. No one likes to speak ill of the dead.

What I’m trying to say is we need to keep a close eye for any transfers of money from Mitch McConnell to Agent Hicks bank account.

I would be ecstatic to speak ill of Trump, at his funeral, in front of his children and widow. I'd be floating on air in much the same way that bricks don't. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I disagree.

I know Pence tested virus free this morning. It isn't wildly impossible that he eventually tests positive. Let's say both he & Trump wind up in the ICU. ANY attempt for Pelosi to assume power will be met with massive legal challenges. There will be a prolonger period of uncertainty. The US will be extremely vulnerable. This isn't a million to one shot. This could reasonably happen. 

Oh Pompeo would absolutely go full Al Haig.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, kevwun said:

I don't think he's been in that close of contact with Pence over the few days.  Pence didn't travel to the debate with him.

They said on the news this morning Pence went & saw him in-person at the White House before the debate to wish him luck. 

13 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

I disagree.

Yeah as a physician I’ll tell you it’s a million to one shot.  If Trump had a really bad case he’d already be in the hospital.  And if it really was Armageddon the markets would be down a fuckload more.  As it stands, they barely lost yesterday’s gains.  Gimme a break.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

I don't think it moves the needle too much electorally. Very few undecideds and I think everyone just assumes those are Trump voters anyway.

What it could do is really hurt the public health response. If Trump gets over COVID with a mild case, which is most likely even given age and obesity, and its certainly what the white house will report regardless (unless he goes to the hospital) 45 percent of this country is going back to February. Full stop.

Ugh, I’m afraid you’re right. I find it reprehensible to actively wish for his death but could it be the best outcome for the country?

The conspiracy nuts would go (more) insane.

They said on the news this morning Pence went & saw him in-person at the White House before the debate to wish him luck. 

That could have taken only a few minutes and Trump probably wasn't contagious at that point.

Edited by kevwun

2 minutes ago, troph said:

the way you evaluate a statement for lying is you compare it to the facts.  if you jump straight to the conclusion it's a lie and look for motivations for the lie, you'll always find something.  That's how conspiracy theories gain traction.  There is NO verifiable fact or circumstance to suggest this is false.  there are plenty of facts to suggest it is true.  let's not be dumb Americans here.

I think the best evidence to suggest it’s probably real is that the White House didn’t officially announce Hope Hicks’ positive test. That was leaked. If it was all a stunt I think they would’ve done something a little more official.

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

Yeah as a physician I’ll tell you it’s a million to one shot.  I’d Trump had a really bad case he’d already be in the hospital.  And if it really was Armageddon the markets would be down a fuckload more.  As it stands, they barely lost yesterday’s gains.  Gimme a break.  

Help me out here. This thing is VERY contagious. Pence went to the White House to wish Trump luck right before the debate. Trump has constantly been in close contact with Hope Hicks. Boris Johnson didn't have to go immediately to the hospital, in fact, he knowingly went out and acted like he was fine for a bit after finding out he had Covid-19. Based on listening to the medical experts on all 3 majors networks, what you posted doesn't make sense. 

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

JFC, Pence already tested negative.  No matter how bad you want it, this is not a disaster.  

Trump tested negative every day, until he tested positive. Pence could easily be in a multi-day pre-symptomatic stage. I desperately don't want him to have it, for national security reasons. However, to dismiss any chance of Pence testing positive seems reckless.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

SIAP, but if he's looking for a bump from this, then as usual, he's doing it wrong 

Help me out here. This thing is VERY contagious. Pence went to the White House to wish Trump luck right before the debate. Trump has constantly been in close contact with Hope Hicks. Boris Johnson didn't have to go immediately to the hospital, in fact, he knowingly went out and acted like he was fine for a bit after finding out he had Covid-19. Based on listening to the medical experts on all 3 majors networks, what you posted doesn't make sense. 

I don’t know wtf you’re listening to.  Pence DOES NOT HAVE IT.  The type of testing they have, we would already know.  If you think they’re lying, then you’re conspiracy theory guy and I might as well be arguing with Qanon dipshit.  Also the president is NOT in the hospital.  I’ve treated hundreds of C19 patients.  The ones who get it bad know right away as things go downhill fast.  This WH leaks info like none before, if he was really sick we would know it.  Quit trying to sell panic.  Or go to TxAgs where they eat that shit up.  

10 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

I disagree.

Well, to be fair you, are adding facts to your hypothetical.

My response simply assumed that Trump was incapacitated, thereby placing someone at least marginally more competent at the switch.

10 minutes ago, troph said:

The fact that Trump is a pathological liar makes everything he says suspect. He lies so frequently and so easily that it's a mistake to just take him at his word. I figure there is a non-zero chance that he's lying no matter what he says. Ever. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

There's no question that he would do that. It would only play well to his base, the rest of us know what grief is like when you lose somebody and with over 206,000 deaths in the U.S. alone he'll just continue to come off as an ass.

• immamac changed the title to The Trump + Covid thread
  • immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic