Fuck Big 12 refs

taybo20

They claimed they reviewed it when they said "oh never mind Texas didn't take a timeout". BUT I have yet to see any video evidence of Kevin Mar actually going over to the little bullshit screen they set up to review stuff.
Yup. The White Hat said they were reviewing the play, but I think he meant "we were going over the play with sark"
  • Hook 'Em 1

RG3 and many in-game announcers aren't well-versed in NCAA rules.

For example, you always hear them reference a "lateral" when debating whether or not a pass was backwards. You won't find that word anywhere in the NCAA rule book. When in doubt, officials are trained to rule a pass forward and blow the play dead on a dropped ball.

UT got fucked on the intentional grounding play above and a number of missed OL holds, but the BU option drop wasn't one of them.

• Hook 'Em 1

• Kevin Mar. He formerly was a Pac-12 referee who worked the 2018 Senior Bowl and was in the ODP in 2017. Mar also spent time in the Mountain West and Big 12 before going to the Pac-12 as a white hat

This is the weird thing to me that makes it even stranger from a tinfoil hat perspective.  This isn't some West Texas homegrown TechTard or some dude who grew up in the heart of aggyland.  

That is because it is directed explicitly or implied as part of their job.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I don’t think this crew was particularly biased today, I think they’re just REALLY incompetent. I didn’t disagree with any calls they made against us- most were false starts. At least they didn’t call back any big plays due to holding. They were more just dipshits but I guess I’d rather them call nothing questionable at all rather than make a bunch of bullshit calls. The OSU game was a different story- the hold they called on Ewer’s long scramble literally changed the outcome of the game.

• Hook 'Em 2

48 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Neither. Independent organizations that schools/athletic districts contract with.

UIL, TAPPS, and SPC schools contract with TASO - Texas Association of Sports Officials for their sanctioned sports. TASO has chapters across the state serving the local schools, including Dallas, Ft. Worth, Houston, etc. TASO officials are independent contractors. If a school's head coach or AD is upset with a particular official or crew they can scratch them.

• Hook 'Em 1

I started noticing at the beginning of the game that some of our ball spots were about 0.75-1 yard short… on every gain

so i began to watch it closert as the game went on and sure enough, there were maybe 25-30 atrocious, insane ball spots against us. More than ive ever seen. I was also watching baylors spots and it seemed they would get an extra 0.5 yard or so on every run or OOB play.

anyone else see that shit? Never seen anything like that

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I started noticing at the beginning of the game that some of our ball spots were about 0.75-1 yard short… on every gain

so i began to watch it closert as the game went on and sure enough, there were maybe 25-30 atrocious, insane ball spots against us. More than ive ever seen. I was also watching baylors spots and it seemed they would get an extra 0.5 yard or so on every run or OOB play.

That's been routine in all of our conference games this year

• Hook 'Em 3

13 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Only every week. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

yes, I was at the game and noticed it. Was 2+ yards on multiple occasions 

• Hook 'Em 7

2 hours ago, hookemATL said:

Can someone explain the fumble that wasn’t a fumble?  I feel like it was glossed over and it seemed like a fumble at full speed. But then they didn’t review or address the at all. I was fucking apoplectic. 

It looked like a fumble to me. Definitely wasn't a forward pass, but Baylor guy next to us said it can be directly lateral and will still be considered a pass. I always thought a lateral was a free ball. I dunno which is correct, but there's really no such thing as a true lateral, just like there's no such thing as a tie at first base in baseball. It was either a forward pass or a backward toss.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, wood said:

It looked like a fumble to me. Definitely wasn't a forward pass, but Baylor guy next to us said it can be directly lateral and will still be considered a pass. I always thought a lateral was a free ball. I dunno which is correct, but there's really no such thing as a true lateral, just like there's no such thing as a tie at first base in baseball. It was either a forward pass or a backward toss.

Forward is a pass. Perfectly in line with ”passer” or backwards is a free ball. 

Edited by Doc Daneeka
  • Hook 'Em 4

7 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah, Baylor guy was wrong. Essentially, by rule a pass is either forward or not. 

• Hook 'Em 4

7 hours ago, Zeus said:

Grabbing and spinning Ford all the way around right in front of the ball and ref lol 

In the rig 12 against Texas you can

I saw that in person, had a perfect view of it and was going apeshit. He was literally in the hole in perfect position to make the play and the OL grabbed his shoulders and spun him 180...no call. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

I don’t think this crew was particularly biased today, I think they’re just REALLY incompetent. I didn’t disagree with any calls they made against us- most were false starts. At least they didn’t call back any big plays due to holding. They were more just dipshits but I guess I’d rather them call nothing questionable at all rather than make a bunch of bullshit calls. The OSU game was a different story- the hold they called on Ewer’s long scramble literally changed the outcome of the game.

They are clearly biased.   

• Hook 'Em 4

35 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Initial contact

DD46AECB-84C1-479B-BFE3-429FC156C304.thumb.jpeg.f70bc7c9e3dbb9c6812e2d724ec25b7d.jpeg

spot

3FE4DA33-0DBF-412D-B012-E2A6A8C7A5B9.thumb.jpeg.6019d085868337225fc23dc29825b2d6.jpeg

Same with the third down here. Since the initial first down spot was from a touchback, they knew that the 35 was the line to gain and the ball just happened to get spotted with the tip over the 35. 

sorry, the previous play to this one. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1

On the "lateral" the one that always comes to mind for me on that one is the Titans vs Bills championship game.  All the discussion was that the throw back was not forward, but exactly on-line with the thrower, therefore a throw that is perfectly "even" is a lateral.    Biggest issue is that the play doesn't appear to have been reviewed even though the official said it was.  

1 hour ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

What game were you watching?

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.d356eb3809b61557d0f31d42ec5da654.png

Ball was "thrown" from the 28. It hit the running back's rear end, who was standing behind the 28 when the ball was thrown, about a quarter of a second later.  Pretty sure it was a lateral/backwards pass, although it may have been ever so slightly forward. 

Edited by Dahobbs

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

All season long

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't pay attention to this thread but that would be about what I expected. 

2 offensive holding calls in 9 full games is insane. 

I don't know if that's the actual number, but I bet it's still pretty low. Especially when you consider this, if you talk to any guy who has reffed at a high level, they will tell you they can call holding on every play if they wanted to. 

The big xii has been bad for years, no doubt a small part for us leaving, but this season, after it was known that we are leaving, it's insanely bad. Fuck em

3 hours ago, Alphie Solomons. said:

It shouldn't be up to Sark to jump on the grenade and get penalized during the game.    Del Conte has enough leverage in that Big 12 Office to make this embarrassing to the Big 12 and he's not and that's bullshit

If Del Conte was to go to the Big 12 Office to complain about the officiating…..they’d just give him the Horn’s Down…then the middle finger.

• Like 1

Last night, around 8:12 in the clip above, during Miss / Miss State, same scenario, except it was called a backwards pass, and ruled a turnover after the fact.  They said repeatedly on the broadcast, a sideways pass is ruled a backwards pass, end of story.  Was beyond pissed when there was not even an attempt at the review during our game!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Dewey said:

Ill bet money that if KU finds a way, we'll see this crew again. If Shark would have gone off on them like Dykes or Campbell, he would have been flagged, they were waiting for it. 

This is a big part why we keep on getting screwed by certain Ref crews like this one against Baylor/Okie State and the ones who called our games against UTSA and Bama.    We haven’t had a coach since Mack who would ride the Refs all game long when the first instances of idiocy was revealed from a particular ref crew.  Mack and Dykes are old school with this and some of the newer generation of coaches have picked it up like Campbell.   While others like Sark and our prior two are not and they had plenty of opportunities to get on board. 

Recall against TCU a few weeks ago early in the game TCU was on the receiving end of more penalties than we were and their was one call that set off Dykes and he was in the Refs ears  the rest of the half and while walking off the field at halftime?   Those flags stayed in the Refs pockets in the second half for the most part.     It works and coaches who do this get respect from their fan bases and to some extent from others especially if it’s known the conference officiating is a clusterfauck and they are not just being crybabies.  

• Hook 'Em 1

OK, math nerds (Huck, help?)

Statistical tests are used and accepted in US courts to establish (not “prove”) evidence of discrimination, with said evidence (if the test confidence is high enough) enough to drive judgments. 

What would the right test be here?

The “null hypothesis” is “Texas (and OU?) are officiated the same as all other Big XII teams”? Accept or reject and with what confidence?

I’m thinking- take all Big XII league games and count holding penalties, and average them per game, and get std deviation. Then, take the (n=9, or 8 if the RRS is excluded) holding calls on Texas in league games, and use the t-test for small sample sizes. You could do the same with holding calls on opponents and test both. (Actually, opponent calls might be better, because it removes the counter argument that Texas just holds more- even though we have seen the quality of “holds” called on Texas on the OSU scramble by Ewers and the canceled TD against KU)

Does that sound like the right approach?

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Nueces River Rat said:

This is a big part why we keep on getting screwed by certain Ref crews like this one against Baylor/Okie State and the ones who called our games against UTSA and Bama.    We haven’t had a coach since Mack who would ride the Refs all game long when the first instances of idiocy was revealed from a particular ref crew.  Mack and Dykes are old school with this and some of the newer generation of coaches have picked it up like Campbell.   While others like Sark and our prior two are not and they had plenty of opportunities to get on board. 

Recall against TCU a few weeks ago early in the game TCU was on the receiving end of more penalties than we were and their was one call that set off Dykes and he was in the Refs ears  the rest of the half and while walking off the field at halftime?   Those flags stayed in the Refs pockets in the second half for the most part.     It works and coaches who do this get respect from their fan bases and to some extent from others especially if it’s known the conference officiating is a clusterfauck and they are not just being crybabies.  

Counterpoint: “Unsportsmanlike conduct, Texas bench.”

I think working the refs has an effect, in general. I don’t think there’s anything Sarkisian, CDC, or anyone in burnt orange can say that’s going to make the Big 12 accommodate the wishes of departing members, all the more so with a CFP spot on the line. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Counterpoint: “Unsportsmanlike conduct, Texas bench.”

I think working the refs has an effect, in general. I don’t think there’s anything Sarkisian, CDC, or anyone in burnt orange can say that’s going to make the Big 12 accommodate the wishes of departing members, all the more so with a CFP spot on the line. 

Yep….  But that Okie State game was so obvious what was going on even aggy and OUSux fans on message boards and their friendly media were universally condemning what was going on.  Still burns me to this day we didn’t go ape post game  and our AD at the time didn’t press the issue in public.  Since then we get Ref crews like this one who chose to screw us either in obvious in your face ways such as a disparity in penalties called like this years Okie State game.    Or just plain ignore everything for the most part to have the same effect like yesterdays Baylor game.  

9 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Yep….  But that Okie State game was so obvious what was going on even aggy and OUSux fans on message boards and their friendly media were universally condemning what was going on.  Still burns me to this day we didn’t go ape post game  and our AD at the time didn’t press the issue in public.  Since then we get Ref crews like this one who chose to screw us either in obvious in your face ways such as a disparity in penalties called like this years Okie State game.    Or just plain ignore everything for the most part to have the same effect like yesterdays Baylor game.  

I get it. What’s Texas’ leverage, though? 

There’s a fine line between arguing that your guys deserve to play in a fairly officiated game and coming off as whiners. If it’s going to be done, it almost has to be done after a game you win or a game so egregiously bad — 2015 Oklahoma State — that even the people on the take blush. 

Again, though, why should the Big 12 care much, especially the way things are in motion now?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Out tix are in section 27. I noticed it all game long.

Also, if you’re a Season Tix holder in Section 27 (or ANYWHERE in DKR); stop selling your tickets to opposing fans. Please & Thank you.🙏🏻👏🏻👏🏻🙌🏻🤘🏻

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I get it. What’s Texas’ leverage, though? 

There’s a fine line between arguing that your guys deserve to play in a fairly officiated game and coming off as whiners. If it’s going to be done, it almost has to be done after a game you win or a game so egregiously bad — 2015 Oklahoma State — that even the people on the take blush. 

Again, though, why should the Big 12 care much, especially the way things are in motion now?

I agree.   It’s too late now as far as the leverage thing other than another reason to bolt early instead of waiting until 2025.  

Y’all think yesterday was bad?  If and it’s a big if, K State loses today and we end up in the championship game against TCU you will see a disparity of 20 fouls on UT to 0 on TCU.  I kid, kind of, but I guarantee the refs will do everything in their power to make sure TCU gets to the playoffs.   Too much money and conference prestige at stake.  Big 12 needs to show the world they don’t need UT or OU as they have TCU in the playoffs.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 2