Fuck Big 12 refs

taybo20

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Big12 crews weren’t responsible for all 12 games were they?  

they actually were this year.  scott campbell's crew did the alabama game, derek anderson's crew did the utsa game, and chris tallent (who has generally been just a crew member of campbell and other big 12 refs' crews) did ulm.

• Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, JBJ said:

What's the total number of holds across the Big 12.  I've always had the impression it's just less common here.

i was about to give in and go pull that data...as it is the critical variable to see how improbable the texas and oklahoma outcomes were...but that's just too many clicks for me right now.

but while still contemplating it, i started pulling baylor's data and in their first two games against albany and byu, they had 5 offensive holding calls against them (2.5 per game)

Edited by sidis

54 minutes ago, JBJ said:

What's the total number of holds across the Big 12.  I've always had the impression it's just less common here.

Holding in the Big 12 is kinda like in the old-school pro rasslin' territory days when certain territories would outlaw the piledriver or jumping off the top rope, then a new heel would show up from some other territory, and his finisher was the banned move.  So the heel would have to do it when the ref's back was turned and he'd put the babyface in the hospital with that move and the fans would go insane...then eventually the  babyface would get so mad that he'd agree to a loser-leaves-town, no holds barred cage match with a special guest referee. Then the babyface would turn the tables on the heel by beating him with his own normally outlawed move and the heel would have to leave town...it's sorta like that...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

What makes this stat more amazing is that we led the country in pressures with at least 2 DL who will likely be drafted this year. 

Yep and you could watch them be held on almost every play, but I loved one during the Baylor game where our DL was chasing the Baylor QB and an OL just grabs a guy from behind RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE REF and no flag.  Baylor completes the pass for a first down

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, JBJ said:

I'd also look at the total offensive holds called against Texas in Big 12 play. Actually, I'm just going to look it up:

Tech - 1 hold against Texas (6:45 in 3rd)

WV -  2 holds against Texas (Sanders 7:35 in 2nd, Conner 11:13 in 3rd)

OU - 0 holds against Texas

ISU - 2 holds against Texas (8:30 in 1st, 15:00 in 3rd)

OSU - 1 hold against Texas (2:05 in 4th) (Quinn's big run)

KSU - 0 holds against Texas

TCU - 1 hold against Texas (9:05 in 2nd)

KU - 0 holds against Texas

BU - 0 holds against Texas

7 holds against vs 2 holds for our opponents. Overall, my conclusion is that the Big 12 doesn't call holding, but when it does, it is probably against Texas.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

https://abc13.com/uh-player-slaps-opponent-tulsa-golden-hurricanes-university-of-houston-sam-brown/12501065/

UH wide receiver caught on camera slapping Tulsa player after Cougars 30-37 loss on Saturday

Cougar High:

"We are aware of an incident that took place following tonight's game involving one of our players. This type of conduct is taken very seriously, and the behavior is not reflective of our values or the standards of our program. We are in the process of gathering more information and will take the appropriate steps moving forward."

Good luck with these bush league turds rig 12

Edited by Zeus

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

I'd also look at the total offensive holds called against Texas in Big 12 play. Actually, I'm just going to look it up:

7 holds against vs 2 holds for our opponents. Overall, my conclusion is that the Big 12 doesn't call holding, but when it does, it is probably against Texas.  

Didn't we get a TD called back for holding early against Kansas?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

If we did, it didn't make it to ESPN's play-by-play. 

If you scroll back to page 55 in this thread we were all cussing it as it was an incredibly weak call on Sanders that negated a TD (resulted in a FG).  I haven't found a website that is really reliable/accurate with respect to penalties.  Particularly by category.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Skipper said:

If you scroll back to page 55 in this thread we were all cussing it as it was an incredibly weak call on Sanders that negated a TD (resulted in a FG).  I haven't found a website that is really reliable/accurate with respect to penalties.  Particularly by category.

You're right. Found it on the Fox play-by-play, 12:18 in the 2nd. 

3 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

That Quinn run call was bullshit.

Edited by babysdaddy
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So was the call on Sanders. 

If a ref is biased, it’s really easy for him to affect the game. There is no need to fret about the right opportunity to insert himself. All he has to do is listen to the opposing coach. If Gundy is yelling, “They’re holding!”, he just needs to call holding. If Dykes is yelling, “They’re calling out the snap!”, he just needs to call that. (Of course, it’s a little obvious when the coach tells you to pick up a flag and you do it). 

This is why I’m not jumping on the “Go Frogs” bandwagon. Fuck this conference 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, pacman said:

I don't know how Coburn or Murphy finished the year with their sanity. Both disrupted plays on a regular basis only to be held on numerous occasions.

OUs DLine didn't have the same effect. I am not as surprised they would not have many holding calls.

Yeah, it seemed like every play on defense someone had an arm across the neck of one of our dline. None of that gets called, but the bullshit not a hold gets called on Quinn's scramble against Okie State. Fuck this conference. Beat that ass KSU. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

That Quinn run call was bullshit.

Updated total, 8 offensive holds for Texas, 2 for opponents during Big 12 play. For comparison, for TCU I see:

TCU vs OU -  0 holds

TCU vs KU - 0 holds

TCU vs OSU - 0 holds

TCU vs KSU - 1 hold (2:30 in 3rd)

TCU vs WV - 2 holds (5:55 in 1st, 14:39 in 2nd)

TCU vs Tech - 1 hold (14:43 in 3rd)

TCU vs BU - 2 holds (12:05 in 2nd, 13:08 in 4th)

TCU vs ISU - 0 holds

TCU vs UT - 0 holds. 

6 offensive holds against TCU in Big 12 play. 

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Interesting scenario... Why wasn't baylor allowed to substitute on tcu's game winning FG ??    Time would have run out before the kick...

Found out...

Rules say refs don't have to allow subs on end of half FGs... defense has to be ready.

Got my answer... Thx @tx ind

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 11/25/2022 at 7:23 PM, JBJ said:

Yes.  A sideways pass behind the line of scrimmage is always ruled forward and from beyond the line of scrimmage is always ruled backwards.

On 11/25/2022 at 8:18 PM, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, Baylor guy was wrong. Essentially, by rule a pass is either forward or not. 

On 11/25/2022 at 10:22 PM, PvilleStang said:

Last night, around 8:12 in the clip above, during Miss / Miss State, same scenario, except it was called a backwards pass, and ruled a turnover after the fact.  They said repeatedly on the broadcast, a sideways pass is ruled a backwards pass, end of story.  Was beyond pissed when there was not even an attempt at the review during our game!

Okay.  So the NCAA issued some clarification on this (for the Ole Miss play at least).

Replay and non-replay games work by different rules.  What I said is true of the field crew without replay.  What Huck said is true of replay.  And field crews with replay should let plays continue when it's not clear.

The Ole Miss call on the field was actually a backwards pass with an inadvertent whistle killing the play.  The Line Judge (camera sideline) called it backwards, but the Head Linesman (far sideline) blew it dead thinking it was forward.  Line Judge, who is the official with primary responsiblity for this type of call, presumably won in the discussion.

So the booth didn't change the ruling to a fumble, but they did rule that there was clear recovery.

This is still really bizarre to me.  There's two players closer to the ball who stopped playing after the whistle and it isn't like a bang-bang recovery where the whistle blew right as the ball was being recovered. 

Isn't the entire point of the whistle to be an absolute end to a play?  If the booth can actually overturn a whistle, this is going to encourage post-whistle play and the injuries and fights that follow.

8 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Isn't the entire point of the whistle to be an absolute end to a play?  If the booth can actually overturn a whistle, this is going to encourage post-whistle play and the injuries and fights that follow.

Agree completely here. This is like the fake slide by Pickett last year. It should be immediately obvious now that it happened that even a whistle shouldn't stop you from aggressively going after a loose ball. And that's dangerous if a player right next to the ball doesn't continue and his knees are between you and the ball. This should be clarified in the offseason so that nothing is considered after a whistle. 

The only possible alternative I can see is defining clear recovery to include that not only was it clear and immediate but that no other player even could have recovered with normal effort or was clearly closer at the time of the whistle. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 2

Leave it to B12 Refs to miss an obvious false start on a TD play in the CCG - on the TE who caught the TD. This being the CCG, wouldn't this be the best crew? But nah, it's Pudgy Asian Guy, so someone gettin' fucked.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 12/1/2022 at 6:09 PM, Carl Spackler said:

The fucking line judge is standing right there at the LOS and the pass went OOB one yard to his right, i.e., 1 yard BEHIND the LOS

Let’s at least be clear on the rule. The ball doesn’t have to cross the los in play. And in this case, the ball was caught before it hit the ground so that allows the side judge or whom ever some discretion on whether it would have travelled past.  Pretty close, just like tackle box judgements. And it shouldn’t be a surprise that both judgement aspects of the play go against us. 

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Let’s at least be clear on the rule. The ball doesn’t have to cross the los in play. And in this case, the ball was caught before it hit the ground so that allows the side judge or whom ever some discretion on whether it would have travelled past.  Pretty close, just like tackle box judgements. And it shouldn’t be a surprise that both judgement aspects of the play go against us. 

Check the replay -- there was no way the ball was going to cross the LOS, whether in play or not.  It wasn't close at all.  Notably, the line judge didn't even fucking look at the ball as it traveled OOB to even attempt to make a determination on whether it would have crossed the LOS before being caught.  And isn't it convenient that it was a person on the Baylor sideline who caught the ball in the air before it could hit the ground?  But putting that aside, the trajectory of the ball in comparison to the LOS clearly shows that it was not going to get to the LOS unless it did something completely at odds with the laws of physics.

1 hour ago, wood said:

Leave it to B12 Refs to miss an obvious false start on a TD play in the CCG - on the TE who caught the TD. This being the CCG, wouldn't this be the best crew? But nah, it's Pudgy Asian Guy, so someone gettin' fucked.

Can we call him Dim Sum, or would that be racist? I don’t care that he’s Asian, but he’s a stupid (dim), cheating motherfucker. For the record, all the white, black, and Hispanic refs in this conference are just as terrible. 

Wut? The ball went out of bounds, didn’t it? There’s an official on the LOS. Did it cross the plane of the sideline to that guy’s right or left?

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

Can we call him Dim Sum, or would that be racist? I don’t care that he’s Asian, but he’s a stupid (dim), cheating motherfucker. For the record, all the white, black, and Hispanic refs in this conference are just as terrible. 

Yep.   They could be fluorescent green with one eye and they’d all be incompetent.    This crew calling the ‘ship is incompetent for sure.   But the one that called the Bama game led by a white guy who likes to wear a tight stripe shirt to show his guns was worse.     IMO.  

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Yep.   They could be fluorescent green with one eye and they’d all be incompetent.    This crew calling the ‘ship is incompetent for sure.   But the one that called the Bama game led by a white guy who likes to wear a tight stripe shirt to show his guns was worse.     IMO.  

Rec Specs is an absolute fuckstick piece of shit horribly incompetent ref. As well as being corrupt 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

20 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

They are not so much incompetent as corrupt.

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 9:33 AM, Dahobbs said:

Updated total, 8 offensive holds for Texas, 2 for opponents during Big 12 play. For comparison, for TCU I see:

TCU vs OU -  0 holds

TCU vs KU - 0 holds

TCU vs OSU - 0 holds

TCU vs KSU - 1 hold (2:30 in 3rd)

TCU vs WV - 2 holds (5:55 in 1st, 14:39 in 2nd)

TCU vs Tech - 1 hold (14:43 in 3rd)

TCU vs BU - 2 holds (12:05 in 2nd, 13:08 in 4th)

TCU vs ISU - 0 holds

TCU vs UT - 0 holds. 

6 offensive holds against TCU in Big 12 play. 

Quick check of SEC fan sites will reveal the perceived fairness, impartiality, and professionalism of SEC refs. Good future news for ppl who like bad news. 

• Hook 'Em 1