Fuck Big 12 refs

taybo20

All these fucking rule changes and reviewing like everything on a play where the runner was easily down before he fumbled or whatever. This shit is driving me fucking nuts. I’ve watched pretty much every single game with my dad since 1998 unless I go to the game. Anyways, the number of times they’ve stopped for a review I’ve been like “well, the receiver caught it, took a couple steps then dropped it. That’s at least in an incomplete pass or a fumble but I don’t know the rules to the game anymore” then of course after 10 minutes reviewing the play they come out and are like “the receiver didn’t make 15 football moves therefore it’s an incomplete pass. The ball will he spotted at the original line of scrimmage, 3rd down and 6. Please rest the game clock to 3 minutes and 48 seconds.”  

But yeah, between yesterday, tech getting away with holding and lineman down field on a middle screen that he catches a yard pass the line of scrimmage, 20 years of ou doing what they do. 2015 okie state and numerous game changing calls in the last 6 years. Then of course we get called for holding pretty frequently, we seem to get a few flags a year for that middle screen shit, our db’s got hosed on some bullshit PI’s while ou was getting away with murder in the 18 big 12 title game. Fuck can we please just move to the big ten. Us, OU, okie state, the Kansas schools and Iowa state can tag along. Let Baylor and tcu go to the AAC where they belong 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, txhorns said:

The problem for Texas is that the best we can ever hope for is average refs who don't blatantly screw us over.  The refs all live in the big 12 territory.  Anyone who follows college football in this area either loves or hates UT.  They can't put UT fans out there as refs for our games so they are forced to use refs whose favorite teams are our rivals.  We have more rivals than any other team in CFB and so it's almost impossible for there to be unbiased refs against us.

This is the answer right here.  For every game we play, it is the other team’s  superbowl.... every game.  For us, its OU and that is it.  How many times have you seen fans storm the field or burn couches cause the beat Texas Tech or TCU or Baylor in a reg season game?  Even teams we don’t play like UH or SMU ooze hatred toward us for some perceived slights.  The B12 refs all come from these schools...all of them and and marinated in Texas hate from a early age.  The other Big12 teams, including OU, simply do not generate the level of universal resentment, jealousy, and hate like Texas.  I can’t find anywhere listing the names of the officials, but I fucking guarantee you if we could see their home towns/school of attendance the answer to this shit show would be glaringly obvious.  That is not going to change until AI computer driven drones take over officiating.  

5 hours ago, Fletch said:

All these fucking rule changes and reviewing like everything on a play where the runner was easily down before he fumbled or whatever. This shit is driving me fucking nuts. I’ve watched pretty much every single game with my dad since 1998 unless I go to the game. Anyways, the number of times they’ve stopped for a review I’ve been like “well, the receiver caught it, took a couple steps then dropped it. That’s at least in an incomplete pass or a fumble but I don’t know the rules to the game anymore” then of course after 10 minutes reviewing the play they come out and are like “the receiver didn’t make 15 football moves therefore it’s an incomplete pass. The ball will he spotted at the original line of scrimmage, 3rd down and 6. Please rest the game clock to 3 minutes and 48 seconds.”  

But yeah, between yesterday, tech getting away with holding and lineman down field on a middle screen that he catches a yard pass the line of scrimmage, 20 years of ou doing what they do. 2015 okie state and numerous game changing calls in the last 6 years. Then of course we get called for holding pretty frequently, we seem to get a few flags a year for that middle screen shit, our db’s got hosed on some bullshit PI’s while ou was getting away with murder in the 18 big 12 title game. Fuck can we please just move to the big ten. Us, OU, okie state, the Kansas schools and Iowa state can tag along. Let Baylor and tcu go to the AAC where they belong 

Seriously, this. This shit is almost completely unwatchable now. Even disregarding for a moment all the absolute shit calls against us, between the number of reviews and the inability of the refs to just make a simple call without huddling up to discuss it for a couple of minutes every.single.time, the flow of every Big12 game has just gone completely to shit.

Remember when we used to make fun of SEC refs? Yeah, that was cute. They'd be a massive upgrade now.  I watched some of aggy getting another beatdown by Bama, and it was like night and day in terms of the game flow, number of reviews, number and length of ref conferences, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

Re: the holding call, in 45+ years of being an avid football fan, I've never seen a OL holding flag get picked up. Been asking around ever since Saturday, and nobody I've asked has ever seen one either. 

I'd love to know what kind of legit justification could even be made for picking one up.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, wood said:

Seriously, this. This shit is almost completely unwatchable now. Even disregarding for a moment all the absolute shit calls against us, between the number of reviews and the inability of the refs to just make a simple call without huddling up to discuss it for a couple of minutes every.single.time, the flow of every Big12 game has just gone completely to shit.

Remember when we used to make fun of SEC refs? Yeah, that was cute. They'd be a massive upgrade now.  I watched some of aggy getting another beatdown by Bama, and it was like night and day in terms of the game flow, number of reviews, number and length of ref conferences, etc.

It is designed to disrupt the tempo for teams that want to go fast.  

58 minutes ago, wood said:

Re: the holding call, in 45+ years of being an avid football fan, I've never seen a OL holding flag get picked up. Been asking around ever since Saturday, and nobody I've asked has ever seen one either. 

I'd love to know what kind of legit justification could even be made for picking one up.

I'm a high school official. If I throw a flag for holding, it's because I saw a hold and it was relevant to the play.  If I have doubt, I don't throw a flag.  I'd be pretty perturbed if another official came in and tried to overrule my flag.  It's not like an incomplete pass or something where a different angle makes a huge difference.

• Hook 'Em 3

Joel Klatt rips officiating in TCU-Texas game

by Sam Marsdale.     Oct 4, 10:02 AM

TCU’s upset win at Texas featured 26 penalties. Officiating was ripped on social media and the game went over four hours.

The man in the booth analyzing things provided some thoughts on the officiating after the game. Former Colorado quarterback Joel Klatt did not hold back when talking about how he felt the officiating was.

“Twenty-seven penalties? That’s insane,” Klatt said. “It was certainly one of the most poorly-officiated games that I’ve ever seen. Certainly at the end, there’s going to be a lot of controversy with what happened. TCU intentionally held Texas in order to get those six seconds off the clock but Duggan certainly stepped out of the back of the end zone before the clock hit zero. Then there’s a penalty on TCU. Doesn’t feel like that should be the end of the game if Tom Herman could have declined the penalty and reviewed how much time was left on the clock, they would at least have some opportunity for a return. Not that they would have won the game, but it certainly didn’t end in a very Kosher fashion.”

Officiating aside, it appeared Texas might pull off another escape after playing inconsistent, mistake-ridden football for the second straight week. But after two huge plays by Keaontay Ingram — a 52-yard reception and 16-yard run — to the TCU 1, Ingram took a first-and-goal handoff, had his momentum stalled and reached the ball toward the end zone, only to have it batted loose and recovered by TCU with 2:32 left.

After burning two timeouts to preserve the clock, Texas’ defense, which came up big at times on Saturday but was on the field way too much, couldn’t stop TCU on third-and-7 from the Horned Frogs’ 4. Taye Barber converted the third down with a 9-yard run, and TCU was able to run out the rest of the clock before taking a safety on the game’s final play. Texas found itself in that desperate situation at the end of the game because of all the mistakes the Longhorns committed before then.

“I’m very confident we can get our problems fixed,” Texas head coach Tom Herman said following the game. “I heard guys picking each other up in the locker room. The only way to fix things is through hard work.”

The Longhorns are now 1-6 in their last seven games against TCU and committed double-digit penalties for the second straight week. Those flags on Saturday wiped out big plays, including a 96-yard kick return by D’Shawn Jamison to the TCU 1 to open the game, a 47-yard catch-and-run by Ingram and also resulted in the ejection of starting middle linebacker Juwan Mitchell for targeting TCU quarterback Max Duggan.

Texas will aim to get back on track next week when it travels to Dallas for the Red River Showdown against Oklahoma, who is surprisingly off to a 1-2 start.

Horns247's  FUCK CHIP BROWN contributed to this report.

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 2

Brad Van Vark: Central College, Pella, Iowa

Stuart Schake: Pittsburgh State, Pittsburgh, Kansas

Joel Wetzel: Texas Tech, Lubbock, TX

Ed Vinzant: Austin College, Sherman, TX and University of Dallas, Irving, TX

Lo Van Pham: University of Colorado, Boulder, CO

The theory that these guys have an axe to grind is silly.  The back judge was a Tech grad, but that's the only connection to a school with a perceived rivalry with UT - and if anything a Tech fan hates TCU as much or more than UT these days.  Big 12 refs suck, plain and simple, but the notion that UT is getting hosed by conference refs is really laughable.  Perhaps those of you making that claim are just too young to remember when there was a half decent team in Austin.  No school has benefited more from officiating in this conference than UT.   It's okay to admit it.  It's in part why Nebraska bailed (to their detriment and may they fuck off forever).  Through the years coaches from other schools have been fined for bringing up the favoritism, and they weren't that wrong if you're being objective about it.  The conference protects its front runners when those teams are UT and OU, and to a lesser extent everyone else. When UT was a consistent frontrunner, the questionable calls often went UT's way. 

But mostly we just have bad officiating, and at this stage in the season no one is protecting anyone or throwing games.   The Longhorns just aren't that good (again).  They were outplayed and should have lost on the road to a shitty Tech team, and then got beat at home by an equally shitty TCU squad.  Blaming refs for the teams' performance is weak.  The refs are terrible, no doubt, but they weren't in the bag for TCU. Every squad in the Big 12 gets fucked over by these refs, weak in and weak out.  It's an even playing field in that regard (unless one team has a shot at the playoff, then all bets are off).  Further, everyone at the conference level wants UT to win.  Everyone makes more money when UT is winning.  UT has every advantage in every category, from financial resources, facilities, recruiting, conference control and backing, etc. etc. etc.  The deck is stacked so heavily in favor of the Longhorns, in every way imaginable, that fans claiming that the refs are cheating against them is simply loony bin material.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 10

9 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

The theory that these guys have an axe to grind is silly.  The back judge was a Tech grad, but that's the only connection to a school with a perceived rivalry with UT - and if anything a Tech fan hates TCU as much or more than UT these days.  Big 12 refs suck, plain and simple, but the notion that UT is getting hosed by conference refs is really laughable.

Please explain the picked up holding flag, the OPI, the blatant uncalled DPI, and the complete fucking on the safety, the time on the clock, and the last play that never came.

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

The theory that these guys have an axe to grind is silly.  The back judge was a Tech grad, but that's the only connection to a school with a perceived rivalry with UT - and if anything a Tech fan hates TCU as much or more than UT these days.  Big 12 refs suck, plain and simple, but the notion that UT is getting hosed by conference refs is really laughable.  Perhaps those of you making that claim are just too young to remember when there was a half decent team in Austin.  No school has benefited more from officiating in this conference than UT.   It's okay to admit it.  It's in part why Nebraska bailed (to their detriment and may they fuck off forever).  Through the years coaches from other schools have been fined for bringing up the favoritism, and they weren't that wrong if you're being objective about it.  The conference protects its front runners when those teams are UT and OU, and to a lesser extent everyone else. When UT was a consistent frontrunner, the questionable calls often went UT's way. 

But mostly we just have bad officiating, and at this stage in the season no one is protecting anyone or throwing games.   The Longhorns just aren't that good (again).  They were outplayed and should have lost on the road to a shitty Tech team, and then got beat at home by an equally shitty TCU squad.  Blaming refs for the teams' performance is weak.  The refs are terrible, no doubt, but they weren't in the bag for TCU. Every squad in the Big 12 gets fucked over by these refs, weak in and weak out.  It's an even playing field in that regard (unless one team has a shot at the playoff, then all bets are off).  Further, everyone at the conference level wants UT to win.  Everyone makes more money when UT is winning.  UT has every advantage in every category, from financial resources, facilities, recruiting, conference control and backing, etc. etc. etc.  The deck is stacked so heavily in favor of the Longhorns, in every way imaginable, that fans claiming that the refs are cheating against them is simply loony bin material.  

Facts not in evidence.  2015, Mason Rudolph runs up to 3-4 Texas boys diving on a fumble and he reaches his weak arm into a pile and is awarded the football.  Also that game, official runs into the head coach and flags him.   

258 yards removed from Texas in the first quarter plus the penalty yards.   

When OU players, after the whistle was blown, hit Colt and were not penalized that showed a clear bias.  I am sorry, I hammered your QB,  20 other guys, and 90,000 fans heard the whistle but me, oopsies!   

As for NU leaving, they left because they were thought they could do better elsewhere, it wasn't true.  They whined and cried, but the problems were the same, they were a middling team that was on a trajectory down and teams like Okie State, Texas Tech were passing them by.   That made them incensed.  Everything else was a lame excuse.  Even that B12 title game was bullshit, Texas was getting phantom calls as Suh blew past the line and our guys were penalized even though they wiffed on a blocks.  

Sorry for your aggy eyes, you need to get them checked.  

8 minutes ago, Nivek said:

When OU players, after the whistle was blown, hit Colt and were not penalized that showed a clear bias.  I am sorry, I hammered your QB,  20 other guys, and 90,000 fans heard the whistle but me, oopsies!  

That piece of shit was Auston English.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Samson's Wig said:

B2F90E1B-B1F3-429B-B8EE-DF0C0511DCB7.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah has there ever been a hit after the whistle not penalized because of noise?  Ever?

Yeah and McGuire's such a dumbass. Sure, it gets loud AF sometimes in that game, but never so loud you couldn't hear a couple of whistles being blown at you a few feet away.

I could hear it up in the stands, and no, I wasn't wearing a TV headset.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

Facts not in evidence.  2015, Mason Rudolph runs up to 3-4 Texas boys diving on a fumble and he reaches his weak arm into a pile and is awarded the football.  Also that game, official runs into the head coach and flags him.   

258 yards removed from Texas in the first quarter plus the penalty yards.   

As for NU leaving, they left because they were thought they could do better elsewhere, it wasn't true.  They whined and cried, but the problems were the same, they were a middling team that was on a trajectory down and teams like Okie State, Texas Tech were passing them by.   That made them incensed.  Everything else was a lame excuse.  Even that B12 title game was bullshit, Texas was getting phantom calls as Suh blew past the line and our guys were penalized even though they wiffed on a blocks.  

Sorry for your aggy eyes, you need to get them checked.  

I'm not sure if he needs to get his eyes checked, but I'm quite certain there is strong confirmation bias happening in this post.

Go take a spin of Big 12 message boards.  Literally every fan base is convinced they get "screwed" by Big 12 officials more than any other school.

Nobody is getting purposely "screwed."  

The simplest explanation is the correct one: Big 12 (actually all college officials) are wildly inconsistent and best and incompetent at worst.

Every fan base thinks THEIR TEAM is "getting screwed" because they get outraged when the inconsistency/incompetence impacts THEIR TEAM, but just gloss over or are blissfully unaware when it happens to their opponent in a particular game or all of the times it's happening in games they aren't even watching.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah and McGuire's such a dumbass. Sure, it gets loud AF sometimes in that game, but never so loud you couldn't hear a couple of whistles being blown at you a few feet away.

I could hear it up in the stands, and no, I wasn't wearing a TV headset.

Yeah. I’m over here on the sideline and next to the crowd and I didn’t hear it, so I can assure you that the guy in the middle of the field further from the crowd and right next to the whistle couldn’t hear it either. 

2 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

The theory that these guys have an axe to grind is silly. 
WRONG

Big 12 refs suck, plain and simple, but the notion that UT is getting hosed by conference refs is really laughable. 

WRONG

No school has benefited more from officiating in this conference than UT.

WRONG

The conference protects its front runners when those teams are UT and OU, and to a lesser extent everyone else.

WRONG

When UT was a consistent frontrunner, the questionable calls often went UT's way. 

WRONG

Blaming refs for the teams' performance is weak. 

WRONG.  NOT WHAT IS BEING ASSERTED.

The refs are terrible, no doubt, but they weren't in the bag for TCU.

WRONG

Every squad in the Big 12 gets fucked over by these refs, weak in and weak out.  It's an even playing field in that regard (unless one team has a shot at the playoff, then all bets are off). 

WRONG.  See TX-vs-TXU

Further, everyone at the conference level wants UT to win.

WRONG

The deck is stacked so heavily in favor of the Longhorns, in every way imaginable, that fans claiming that the refs are cheating against them is simply loony bin material.  

WRONG

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I'm not sure if he needs to get his eyes checked, but I'm quite certain there is strong confirmation bias happening in this post.

Go take a spin of Big 12 message boards.  Literally every fan base is convinced they get "screwed" by Big 12 officials more than any other school.

The simplest explanation is the correct one: Big 12 (actually all college officials) are wildly inconsistent and best and incompetent at worst.

Every fan base thinks THEIR TEAM is "getting screwed" because they get outraged when the inconsistency/incompetence impacts THEIR TEAM, but just gloss over or are blissfully unaware when it happens to their opponent in a particular game or all of the times it's happening in games they aren't even watching.

Easy to say when your team was the benefactor of one of the most egregiously-officiated games of the decade:

I don't know how you could say no one was purposely getting screwed in that game with the amount of phantom calls that went against Texas and Texas only, and mostly on huge plays.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

As I said previously, you can make a good argument that nearly all bad calls are because the refs suck. But the picked up holding flag can't be explained away that easily. There was an obvious hold at the point of attack, it gave the runner the edge, the official saw it, he threw his flag, then it is waved off for no good reason whatsoever. That's not a missed call, that's a correctly seen call that is intentionally reversed.

It's hard to come up with an explanation for that sequence that doesn't involve intentional fuckery.

The flag that Patterson essentially threw for man downfield also meets this level of fuckery.

• Hook 'Em 4

19 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

I still cannot figure out why Joel Klatt likes to carry water for us.  If I were him, I'd have a deep-seated hatred as a result of the 2005 Big 12 title game.

I mean I love that the guy defends us, but it vexes me.

Stockholm syndrome

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

As I said previously, you can make a good argument that nearly all bad calls are because the refs suck. But the picked up holding flag can't be explained away that easily. There was an obvious hold at the point of attack, it gave the runner the edge, the official saw it, he threw his flag, then it is waved off for no good reason whatsoever. That's not a missed call, that's a correctly seen call that is intentionally reversed.

It's hard to come up with an explanation for that sequence that doesn't involve intentional fuckery.

Agreed... others can at least be defended as just poor.. that one just reeked of "intentional fuckery".  It was clear, it was directly involved run path, flag was thrown. I know I have never seen anything like that on a discuss and pick up flag situation

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, OU Sucks said:

Easy to say when your team was the benefactor of one of the most egregiously-officiated games of the decade:

I don't know how you could say no one was purposely getting screwed in that game with the amount of phantom calls that went against Texas and Texas only, and mostly on huge plays.

200.gif

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, OU Sucks said:

The o-lineman wraps Poona up. Holding on Poona. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OU Sucks said:

I should not have clicked that video....ragey.  Are these fuck heads still Big 12 refs?

2 hours ago, Deej said:

The o-lineman wraps Poona up. Holding on Poona. 

I mean ... yeah. Fucking unreal. He absolutely never had any chance to hold anyone else. He was being tackled by two guys.

That "late hit" on Rudolph looked eerily similar to the "targeting" last Saturday, too. And Charlie had the same deer in the headlights look as TH did Saturday, but at least eventually woke the fuck up and said something, not that it helped.

9 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Its strange that when we get into bowl games, I don't see anywhere near the official fuckery against us.

Because you win your bowl games. The Big XII doesn’t make you guys lose games. The officials don’t make you guys lose games. You’re losing the games on your own. 

• Fuck You 3

3 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

That type of analysis is typical for the lazy or simple minded.   Try to find a Texas fan who doesn't think ISU got screwed out of a win against us.   Now try to defend the image below.  Only 2 holds in this picture.   This wasn't even the worst of it that game.  There was one play were there were 4 holds on a single play and Orkapo was injured.     This isn't something new.     Look, I can understand the official missing the DPI on the Eagles TD throw, because the defender wasn't obvious about it.  That is stuff one expects.  The official picking up flags, calling late flags, stopping free play, and so on and so forth is when it shifts from incidental mistakes to rigged bullshit.   

rakheld.jpg?_ga=2.16371006.922477874.160

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

That type of analysis is typical for the lazy or simple minded.   Try to find a Texas fan who doesn't think ISU got screwed out of a win against us.   Now try to defend the image below.  Only 2 holds in this picture.   This wasn't even the worst of it that game.  There was one play were there were 4 holds on a single play and Orkapo was injured.     This isn't something new.     Look, I can understand the official missing the DPI on the Eagles TD throw, because the defender wasn't obvious about it.  That is stuff one expects.  The official picking up flags, calling late flags, stopping free play, and so on and so forth is when it shifts from incidental mistakes to rigged bullshit.   
rakheld.jpg?_ga=2.16371006.922477874.1601938321-414309152.1601938321
This is one in which Kindle's facemask was grabbed and pulled taking all subjectivity out of it. And here is the issue with it. The ref should have a clear sight line. It's not a bang bang play. It heavily impacted the play.

Look at the score mister slorch. And it sure as hell set the tone for the Tech oline molestation that would continue all game.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You don’t even fucking know me, Mr I’ve been on the board 10 Minutes...

I’ve already said I’m not debating that game, and people want to keep bringing it up as an example.  I have posited multiple times that the officiating is fucked up in the Big XII.  Nowhere have I said it just started this season.

Carry on with the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

20 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

bunch of small town fuck heads. 

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

lol watch the replay he tackled Eagles then pouted on the ground about getting beat and having to take a DPI. 

I don't know how much more obvious you can get. 

• Hook 'Em 1