Ken Paxton is dirty? NO FUCKING WAY!

Gil Bang

7 minutes ago, That Guy said:

That's interesting.  I actually know McCarter, he lived next door to my parents for a while.  A nice guy from all outward appearances.  Offered to assist my parents any way he could.

Somehow or other, he's gotten rich as fuck.  He used to be the CEO of N J Malin, which is a forklift and warehouse equipment company.  Evidently they pay well.

Hiring documents described him as the best candidate based on “over 40 years of experience as an experienced leader, motivator, problem solver, corporate re-organizer, marketing and sales expert.” That wording also appears in Gleason’s resume.

Keegan-Michael Key Lol GIF by HULU

I was under the impression that everyone up there was given the option to resign in lieu of termination. If he was indeed fired i wonder why? You would think it would have to be pretty terrible to fire a donor you just brought in?

God, this guy is awful:

DALLAS (AP) — Twitter has filed a lawsuit against Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, claiming the Republican used his office to retaliate against it for banning the account of former President Donald Trump following the riot at the U.S. Capitol.

Days after the deadly insurrection, Paxton announced an investigation into Twitter and four other major technology companies for what he called “the seemingly coordinated de-platforming of the President.” The attorney general’s office demanded that the companies produce a variety of records related to their content moderation policies and troves of internal communications.

Twitter responded Monday with a federal lawsuit alleging Paxton is seeking to punish it for taking Trump’s account offline — a decision the social media company says is protected free speech. It asks a judge to declare the decision to be under the gambit of the First Amendment and to, in essence, halt Paxton’s investigation.

“Paxton made clear that he will use the full weight of his office, including his expansive investigatory powers, to retaliate against Twitter for having made editorial decisions with which he disagrees,” lawyers for the company wrote in the suit filed in a Northern California court.

Spokespersons for Paxton’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment Monday evening.

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas-politics/twitter-sues-texas-ag-ken-paxton-claiming-retaliation-for-trump-ban/

• Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Brandywine said:

Does Paxton work for Texas, or just sues any and everyone all day long? The guy should be in jail, why isn't he? He's totally and completely useless as AG and as a human in general. 

I have these same questions.  No one seems to have the answers.

On 3/12/2021 at 3:23 PM, Brandywine said:

Does Paxton work for Texas, or just sues any and everyone all day long? The guy should be in jail, why isn't he? He's totally and completely useless as AG and as a human in general. 

In case you hadn't noticed, he's been trying his ass off to keep his profile as high as possible.  And it's working, other than maybe AG James in New York, Paxton is the most talked about State AG in the country for the last six months.  And it's gonna stay that way for another 18 months.  As soon as nobody is paying attention to him and/or he leaves office after primary defeat...he's going to be facing some tough questions.  Not from prosecutors but rather from some businessmen who have some inquiries about the whereabouts of some monies they placed in some real estate deals in Texas.  Like prosecutors, these businessmen use pens...but in very different ways.  

It would take one tweet or IG post from McConaughey or Beyoncé to remind people Paxton is an indicted felon that has avoided his court date for 5 years and possibly seal his fate. If Texas celebrities wanna dip their toes into politics, whether it be a possible Governor run like MM or speaking out on voter suppression and BLM like Beyoncé, they aren’t utilizing the media they dominate 

just a random thought

Edited by StassneyHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is he gonna claim it's sensitive/legally privileged correspondence and thus can't be turned over?  Wouldn't that beg the question...what the fuck were you doing handling sensitive legal materials for the State of Texas during a fucking Level I Riot?  I know I handle a lot of important limited partner shit at midnight on Bourbon Street during Mardi Gras and if not there, then wherever I can get a wi-fi signal near an active volcano.  

28 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Is he gonna claim it's sensitive/legally privileged correspondence and thus can't be turned over?  Wouldn't that beg the question...what the fuck were you doing handling sensitive legal materials for the State of Texas during a fucking Level I Riot?  I know I handle a lot of important limited partner shit at midnight on Bourbon Street during Mardi Gras and if not there, then wherever I can get a wi-fi signal near an active volcano.  

Fomenting and assisting with violent revolt against the United States Government was in service of the interests of the State of Texas, consistent with his position as our chief attorney, and therefore it's all attorney work product and exempt from disclosure.  Duh. 

Paxton refusing to deliver any emails from Jan 5th-11th during Y’all Qaeda attack on the Capitol
https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2021/03/25/texas-ag-ken-paxton-refuses-release-messages-emails-texts-trump-rally-capitol-riot/6989141002/

Seems like the Texas news outlets that are working to get these could sue to get them released, yes?

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Fomenting and assisting with violent revolt against the United States Government was in service of the interests of the State of Texas, consistent with his position as our chief attorney, and therefore it's all attorney work product and exempt from disclosure.  Duh. 

Same as the lawsuit against the state of Pennsylvania 

Paxton trying to undercut public discovery acts that his office wrote before he got there, that were correctly placed under a separate state entity to avoid elected officials like himself trying to hind behind them to avoid turning over communications just like any other statewide elected official.  Wonderful, Ken.  He's the fucked up male version of the "You can't do this!  I made you!" waitress from "Maximum Overdrive":

2016, 2018, and 2020 has shown statewide is 52% Republican. Quit wetting your pants. The one person able to carry out coordinated GOTV for Rs is now Allen West and the ghost of DT. Allen West probably asks people why his computer is frozen when he clicks on pdfs. If MSM does it’s job and ignore orange shithead it could be a rout with Rush ded. Hope springs eternal.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Totally normal. This is what innocent people do. 

To put this in a bit of perspective, Paxton is the AG.  Some of Paxton's emails are privileged and FOIA/Open Records doesn't get privileged shit.

But some of his emails clearly are not privileged.

So, a rational person might expect some emails to be withheld on grounds of privilege.

Trying to extend attorney client privilege to cover everything is what people do when they have things to hide.  See, e.g. Trump, Cohen, etc.

And yes, the requestors can file a lawsuit and the requestors will win, at least partially.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Most of the politicians vigorously scrubbed their social media post January 6th to clean up their rhetoric in the weeks leading up to that day. Didn't Paxton just delete his emails? I mean it's not like he's honest or anything, the man has violated other laws and he's a lawyer, so he has zero personal ethics other than 'what is good for me is good for me.'

3 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Most of the politicians vigorously scrubbed their social media post January 6th to clean up their rhetoric in the weeks leading up to that day. Didn't Paxton just delete his emails? I mean it's not like he's honest or anything, the man has violated other laws and he's a lawyer, so he has zero personal ethics other than 'what is good for me is good for me.'

All I can say is that I know for an absolute fact that, as of five years ago, all emails to employees of the various divisions of the Governor's Office were automagically deleted after one or two weeks unless that employee manually saved them in Outlook. I don't know if that's still the case, and I also don't know how in the world that is legal.

33 minutes ago, bolverk said:

All I can say is that I know for an absolute fact that, as of five years ago, all emails to employees of the various divisions of the Governor's Office were automagically deleted after one or two weeks unless that employee manually saved them in Outlook. I don't know if that's still the case, and I also don't know how in the world that is legal.

Although that could be lawless as shit and that wouldn't surprise me, it's also possible that there is retention or backup other than mail folders/files.  I could see how that could get pretty unwieldy.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Although that could be lawless as shit and that wouldn't surprise me, it's also possible that there is retention or backup other than mail folders/files.  I could see how that could get pretty unwieldy.

Files were absolutely retained, but all correspondence was deleted unless manually saved and that is still likely the case seeing as how it's the same governor now as then.

9 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Files were absolutely retained, but all correspondence was deleted unless manually saved and that is still likely the case seeing as how it's the same governor now as then.

The old "I have no recollection of that correspondence" play....

• 3 weeks later...

AG Pax­ton Warns Beto O’Rourke PAC Against Unlaw­ful Col­lec­tion of Tex­ans’ Per­son­al Data

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/news/releases/ag-paxton-warns-beto-orourke-pac-against-unlawful-collection-texans-personal-data

Attorney General Ken Paxton issued a letter to Powered by People, a PAC launched by Beto O’Rourke, warning against the unlawful collection and storage of Texans’ personal and health related data in exchange for vaccine registration and voter registration information. During their Zoom training sessions, Powered by People called on volunteers to deceptively offer vaccine registration information to Texas seniors; however, the vaccine information provided by the PAC is publicly available elsewhere and the personal information they collect is saved for later, political use by the PAC.

• 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

184677579_4051478678247277_5073473467510

So I am guessing that's not official correspondence, but rather a "From the Office of Donald Trump" memo for consumption by true believers?

That last paragraph is rich.  It's none of my gotdamn business as Attorney General, but by God, I'll never let it happen here.  Except I won't do a damn thing about it.

On 3/25/2021 at 9:28 PM, Brisketexan said:

He also doesn't stand a chance.  Because in Texas, Beelzebub Childrapist Puppykiller (R) wins by 6-8 points in a statewide race.

Well, Paxton only won by 3.6% last time...so yeah that math checks out.

• Haha 1

Nobody represents today’s GOP better than Ken Paxton:

Embattled Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton, facing state criminal charges and a federal complaint about his private business affairs, plans to run for re-election.

"Let there be no doubt that at the appropriate time General Paxton will make the official announcement that he fully intends to seek re-election and keep fighting for Texas," Jordan Berry, a political consultant for Paxton, said in a statement Thursday.

The former state legislator who won the attorney general's seat in 2014 faces federal and state securities fraud charges stemming from his time as an investment adviser before he took office. He was indicted by a Collin County grand jury last year, and the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission brought charges against him earlier this month.

Paxton was elected on a wave of Tea Party support and is up for re-election in 2018.

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/04/21/despite-indictments-ken-paxton-plans-run-again/