Cops kill black man in Wolfe City

cmontexas

Didnt see a thread on this. No video, but it is local. Initial reports say this "pillar of the community" was breaking up a fight. Im sure the usuals will be along to share how he was a violent drug abuser that deserved to be executed. 

https://www.fox4news.com/news/family-says-jonathan-price-killed-in-wolfe-city-officer-involved-shooting-while-breaking-up-fight

48 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Im sure the usuals will be along to share how he was a violent drug abuser that deserved to be executed. 

Did you start this on the wrong forum by chance? 

I won't neg you because I don't give enough of a shit, but I think we can do better than instantly CRing news stories posted in DT.

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Did you start this on the wrong forum by chance? 

I won't neg you because I don't give enough of a shit, but I think we can do better than instantly CRing news stories posted in DT.

I dunno man I thought it was more newsy than political since it happened in North Texas and if any protests or events/trials happen as a result they might deserve a seperate thread for discussion than the current protest thread abortion. Botham Jean was a DT thread I thought.

I realize that last statement was kindof needlessly incendiary but these events are sadly procedural at this point. Initial reports are the victim was a saint and then the smear campaign comes out. I think the Kenosha guy was just "breaking up a fight" too at first

2 hours ago, cmontexas said:

Didnt see a thread on this. No video, but it is local. Initial reports say this "pillar of the community" was breaking up a fight. Im sure the usuals will be along to share how he was a violent drug abuser that deserved to be executed. 

https://www.fox4news.com/news/family-says-jonathan-price-killed-in-wolfe-city-officer-involved-shooting-while-breaking-up-fight

Username checks out.

22 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Gonna wait until the body camera footage is released before I form an opinion. So this guy was tased first then shot? He had nothing to do with the argument except help break it up?

Assisting in breaking up a fight.

Mistaken as the subject of the call by police , maybe because big black guy?

Tased.

On ground, with hands up, shot and killed.

That's the alleged story that I have seen.

Agreed we need actual detailed reports because this seems absurdly blantant murder.

Unfortunately, these stories all too often turn out to be murder without repercussions.

1 hour ago, HRSchenker said:

Gonna wait until the body camera footage is released before I form an opinion. So this guy was tased first then shot? He had nothing to do with the argument except help break it up?

Why would you use logic and your own judgement?

Can’t you just rush to a media outlet or your Facebook feed to form an opinion?

Your questions may result in sensible answers or facts. Disgusting.

• Hook 'Em 1

Radio silence from the police and Texas Rangers speaks volumes. If they had exculpatory video, we'd have seen it, and the store has video. I'm thinking this cop f'up bad.  Price had posted on facebook he'd never had a negative encounter with the police.  Sad, sad situation. If the video is as bad as I think it must be, this is going to get ugly.

This pig looks like most shitty high schoolers. Who could have guessed that's the sort of people a career in policing attracts??

It's surprising to see Texas law enforcement actually act like black lives matter - we usually see an armed phalanx of officers protecting their murder suspects. All the protests must have done something. 

Screenshot_20201006-082547_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Herbie Hancock said:

.....or maybe it was so egregiously obvious that the Texas Rangers didn’t have to do much of an investigation. Oh wait, that’s exactly what their press release above statesemoji849.png

Right - what I'm saying is that there's been many instances of police abuse that are egregiously obvious that have been defended lock stock and barrel by the police. Including and not limited to: lying on affidavits, lying under oath, spiking investigations, and literally forming an armed phalanx to defend an officer who choked a man to death over the course of 9 minutes on video.

So it's notable that the police actually policed themselves in this instance and are treating the officer like any other suspect.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I guess I’m just disappointed. They did the right thing and moved as quick as possible. And even charged him with murder instead of manslaughter or criminally negligent homicide, and they still get shit on. I’m all for shitting on people when justified, but they did the right thing here and are still catching shit. If we’re going to demand transparency and accountability shouldn’t we at least acknowledge when they get it right? God knows we are there with our pitchforks when we perceive they’ve gotten it wrong.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Do you give out gold stars to your kids for doing what they're supposed to be doing in the first place? Or do you expect a pat on the head every time you submit your TPS reports on time at work? Why should the cops get extra praise for enforcing the law as it is written?
It also should be noted: his department didn't do shit. They put him on paid vacation administrative leave, and it took the Texas motherfucking Rangers to actually bring charges against him. He murdered a man on Saturday night, on video, under color of law. The violent criminal wasn't actually arrested until Monday. Fuck that shit. That's unequal application of the law.
Who else after committing a crime on camera that's known to law enforcement gets a free day to get their story straight? Fucking nobody, unless you're on the right side of the blue line.
Glad the Rangers got involved, but I wouldn't argue that the PD in question "got it right".

Hyperbole much? You’re a bit too emotional to have a legitimate discussion. Nowhere did I say to hand out special recognition for doing what they’re supposed to do. I pointed out that it’s disappointing that they did the right thing and still catch a rash of shit.

As far as your assertion that WC dropped the ball, once again you’re being intentionally obtuse. Unless you really think that the sprawling metropolis of Wolfe City possess the manpower, skill and assets to conduct a proper investigation? I don’t in the least.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Herbie Hancock said:

Hyperbole much? You’re a bit too emotional to have a legitimate discussion. Nowhere did I say to hand out special recognition for doing what they’re supposed to do. I pointed out that it’s disappointing that they did the right thing and still catch a rash of shit.

As far as your assertion that WC dropped the ball, once again you’re being intentionally obtuse. Unless you really think that the sprawling metropolis of Wolfe City possess the manpower, skill and assets to conduct a proper investigation? I don’t in the least.

And again, "they" - the police dept in question did not "do the right thing". From the article you linked:

The preliminary investigation indicates that the actions of Officer Lucas were not objectionably reasonable.  The Texas Rangers have charged Officer Lucas with the offense of Murder and booked him into the Hunt County Jail. This investigation is being conducted by the Texas Rangers, with the cooperation of the Wolfe City Police Department and the Hunt County District Attorney’s Office. No additional information is being released at this time.

It didn't even take a full investigation for the Rangers to know it was unreasonable - they came to the conclusion inside of a day before even actually investigating. It doesn't take a ton of resources to watch a body cam video and see what actually happened when one of your peace officers kills someone with his service weapon on duty.

Once again, given that Wolfe City PD in all its infinite wisdom deemed this fat sloppy sack of shit competent to be a police officer should tell you all you need to know about them, but you’re still bent that those same intelligent creatures deferred to a superior law enforcement unit? I don’t follow your logic.

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

This pig looks like most shitty high schoolers. Who could have guessed that's the sort of people a career in policing attracts??

It's surprising to see Texas law enforcement actually act like black lives matter - we usually see an armed phalanx of officers protecting their murder suspects. All the protests must have done something. 

Screenshot_20201006-082547_Samsung Internet.jpg

He's definitely got the "look" doesn't he.

Dad - "Why did you shoot my son?"

Cop - "I'll tell you later."

Yeah, and I'll put my hands behind my back later.

Fuck you!

32 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

but you’re still bent that those same intelligent creatures deferred to a superior law enforcement unit? I don’t follow your logic.

I didn't know the police generally let murder suspects go back home without posting bail and getting arraigned. And if he wasn't a murder suspect until the rangers came to town, then that's my problem. It shouldn't take the top law enforcement of the state to enforce a murder statute with video evidence.

It's that the cops have a different set of rules and enforcement standards than we do as regular (non-LEO) citizens. 

I'm derailing this thread and I digress, since we agree that the local PD was an issue.

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I guess I’m just disappointed. They did the right thing and moved as quick as possible. And even charged him with murder instead of manslaughter or criminally negligent homicide, and they still get shit on. I’m all for shitting on people when justified, but they did the right thing here and are still catching shit. If we’re going to demand transparency and accountability shouldn’t we at least acknowledge when they get it right? God knows we are there with our pitchforks when we perceive they’ve gotten it wrong.

We should all commend them for doing the most basic function of their job.

41 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

So if they cannot conduct what appears to be a simple investigation... why do we fund them?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So if they cannot conduct what appears to be a simple investigation... why do we fund them?

You know what you’re right, the capabilities and intelligence within the investigative division of Wolfe City PD are definitely equal to that of the Texas Rangers. I have full confidence that they could and would conduct an investigation devoid of errors that would jeopardize the ability to successfully prosecute this POS.

1 minute ago, Herbie Hancock said:

You know what you’re right, the capabilities and intelligence within the investigative division of Wolfe City PD are definitely equal to that of the Texas Rangers. I have full confidence that they could and would conduct an investigation devoid of errors that would jeopardize the ability to successfully prosecute this POS.

Again, this was a basic investigation. Why do we, the tax payers, pay their salary if they are incapable of doing their most basic of jobs? I didn’t say they were equal to the Texas Rangers. I’m asking why they can’t perform their essential functions.

Again, this was a basic investigation. Why do we, the tax payers, pay their salary if they are incapable of doing their most basic of jobs? I didn’t say they were equal to the Texas Rangers. I’m asking why they can’t perform their essential functions.

Dude if you can’t understand why the police department of a town of 1,400 probably isn’t the best choice to perform the investigation of an officer involved shooting then nothing I can say is going to change your mind.
I’m done with this derailing. Jonathan deserves justice and he deserves to be remembered for the outstanding person that he was.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I was told from someone I know that there were off duty cops (not sure from where) across the street and were yelling for the WCPD cop to "stand down" after he arrived and just before he pulled the trigger.  

Edited by Leeroy Jenkins
Haven't read the entire thread - not sure if mentioned
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Dude if you can’t understand why the police department of a town of 1,400 probably isn’t the best choice to perform the investigation of an officer involved shooting then nothing I can say is going to change your mind.
I’m done with this derailing. Jonathan deserves justice and he deserves to be remembered for the outstanding person that he was.

Then why the fuck do they exist?

• Like 1