Cops kill black man in Wolfe City

cmontexas

18 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Most small town cops start in the mid to low $20K's......you saying you made less than they starting out? 

My first job in 2002 paid $16/hr. Quality control testing of pharmaceuticals. 15 years later I was making just over $70k. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

20 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Most small town cops start in the mid to low $20K's......you saying you made less than they starting out? 

There must be a big disparity in pay. Back in the late 90s I was working with a graphic artist whose brother was a police officer in or around LA and I recall him telling me that his brother was getting paid in the $70-80K range. 

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Is there such a thing as the reverse humble brag?  

That’s the pay scale for qc bench Chemists with a bachelor’s degree, testing the quality of things you put in your body. I could have gotten a PhD or an mba and gone into management and had a more lucrative career path. I didn’t. 
but the point is cops aren’t underpaid. 

2 minutes ago, Bevo said:

There must be a big disparity in pay. Back in the late 90s I was working with a graphic artist whose brother was a police officer in or around LA and I recall him telling me that his brother was getting paid in the $70-80K range. 

Massive gaps in locales.  Tenure plays a big role as well.  Time in the department.  Urban vs rural.  LA vs Montana, etc.  Hazard pay & OT.  So many factors.  

10 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Massive gaps in locales.  Tenure plays a big role as well.  Time in the department.  Urban vs rural.  LA vs Montana, etc.  Hazard pay & OT.  So many factors.  

In case I was unclear - City of Angels not Louisiana. 

Just now, Bevo said:

In case I was unclear - City of Angels not Louisiana. 

No, I get it.  Cost of living metrics vary across the country.  A cop in Los Angelas @ $80K and 10+ years service has a pretty shitty standard of living compared one in Montana making $60K.  

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

A threat?  Would you patrol neighborhoods with armed criminals and you are unarmed?  Of course you wouldn't.  It's not the presence of a gun that causes the issues, it's not knowing what to do with it.  They have no real training, so they immediately go to the gun because it's all they know.  This tragedy seemed to result from an untrained cop put into a situation he was incapable of handling.  

They make threats all the time.  Do I need to list them out for you.  

Want to hold them accountable for wrongdoing?  They might stop showing up for calls.  It's step 1 of their playbook.

i sincerely doubt that a police officer in wolfe city is making $25k or less. i'd bet they make significantly more. cops are fairly well compensated, generally. 

but seriously, this is some barney fife shit:

https://wolfecitytx.org/departments/police/

The Wolfe City Police department is Wolfe City’s local police department and serves Wolfe City and the surrounding areas. Wolfe City Police officers strive to provide their best each and every day. Whether that means helping someone get into their locked car, keeping our streets safe, or even grabbing a snake from a front yard our officers are ready to come out and serve you. 

Police Chief
Matthew Martin

Sergeant
Jarred Hayes

Officer
Shaun Lucas

that's it. three guys. and one is now up for murder.

10 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i sincerely doubt that a police officer in wolfe city is making $25k or less. i'd bet they make significantly more. cops are fairly well compensated, generally. 

So, let's call it two. 

23 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

you are just two promotions away from being Police Chief. 

Hey, if you don't have a lot of other prospects, this gig is something to shoot for.

Well, a guy’s got to have his standards. Plus, it is in the Dallas area and closer to downtown than Baltimore is to DC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Wolfe City Police department is Wolfe City’s local police department and serves Wolfe City and the surrounding areas. Wolfe City Police officers strive to provide their best each and every day. Whether that means helping someone get into their locked car, keeping our streets safe, or even grabbing a snake from a front yard our officers are ready to come out and serve you. 
Police Chief
Matthew Martin
Sergeant
Jarred Hayes
Officer
Shaun Lucas

I know that my hometown was paying around that, but they paid all of the benefits for the employee and their family.

20 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Yeah, that guy is part of the problem. He does basically everything but call this dude an Uncle Tom and goes on to say that he feels nothing.

By all accounts the victim was a standup dude who was trying his best to put the obvious inherent racist in our society behind him and try to build things up so that his children could experience the American dream just as much as any white child could. I would think that that's an admirable thing. Apparently not.

Instead of focusing on the tragedy that happens when black folks try and make things better for themselves and future generations and get the short end of the stick, this guy would rather throw his brother under the bus in an attempt to sew further division.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Yeah, that guy is part of the problem. He does basically everything but call this dude an Uncle Tom and goes on to say that he feels nothing.

By all accounts the victim was a standup dude who was trying his best to put the obvious inherent racist in our society behind him and try to build things up so that his children could experience the American dream just as much as any white child could. I would think that that's an admirable thing. Apparently not.

Instead of focusing on the tragedy that happens when black folks try and make things better for themselves and future generations and get the short end of the stick, this guy would rather throw his brother under the bus in an attempt to sew further division.

You are missing the message. Basically he is saying that if the Candace Owens and such of the world weren't fueling the opposition by giving them someone to say see, your own people are saying it's false, the movement would be further along, and you wouldn't be dead. Although the message is harsh, as you would expect from a dude from 5th Ward, it is correct.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Naw, he is blaming the victim. Not for being black, but for being black and trying to heal the racial divide.

You don't heal racial divides by pretending not to see inequalities. That does nothing but make people angry. Nothing makes the Black Community angrier than another Black person so disconnected that they don't see the problems the community is facing.

• Like 1

I live in Washington state. The Republican nominee running for governor, Loren Culp, is the police chief in Republic, WA. He is the police chief of a force of one. He's the only person on the force. If he committed a crime, obviously he couldn't investigate himself. With these tiny town police forces, it is only logical that an outside person has to come in to investigate the suspect. It's no different than a small town DA's office. If there are 2 DAs in the town, it's not credible for DA 1 to prosecute DA 2. You have to bring in someone from the outside.

4 hours ago, CDAK said:

I live in Washington state. The Republican nominee running for governor, Loren Culp, is the police chief in Republic, WA. He is the police chief of a force of one. He's the only person on the force. If he committed a crime, obviously he couldn't investigate himself. With these tiny town police forces, it is only logical that an outside person has to come in to investigate the suspect. It's no different than a small town DA's office. If there are 2 DAs in the town, it's not credible for DA 1 to prosecute DA 2. You have to bring in someone from the outside.

but muh outrage tho

10 hours ago, CDAK said:

Who is going to call in the outside agency though?

22 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Who is going to call in the outside agency though?

I'm just spitballing. I'm not involved in policing, prosecution, or law enforcement. 

The state could have a law or agreements with local towns mandating that for any county under a certain size, allegations of crimes against a police officer must be immediately reported to a certain state office. Or a small town could have an agreement with a nearby larger city. I think it would be appropriate for large cities and states to have separate and independent law enforcement and prosecutors who investigate criminal allegations against police officers.

Edited by CDAK

1 minute ago, CDAK said:

I'm just spitballing. I'm not involved in policing, prosecution, or law enforcement. 

The state could have a law or agreements with local towns mandating that for any county under a certain size, allegations of crimes against a police officer must be immediately reported to a certain state office. Or a small town could have an agreement with a nearby larger city. I think it would be appropriate for large cities and states to have separate and independent law enforcement and prosecutors who investigate allegations against police officers.

Sure, that makes sense.

But it won't happen, because that means YOU HATE THE COPS AND DON'T BACK THE BLUE AND HATE LAW AND ORDER.

The police have successfully characterized functionally any effort to hold them accountable as being anti-cop, and pro-crime, LAW AND ORDER!  And it works.  Because as we have seen clearly demonstrated, the American people are complete fucking morons.

31 minutes ago, CDAK said:

The state could have a law or agreements with local towns mandating that for any county under a certain size, allegations of crimes against a police officer must be immediately reported to a certain state office. Or a small town could have an agreement with a nearby larger city. I think it would be appropriate for large cities and states to have separate and independent law enforcement and prosecutors who investigate criminal allegations against police officers.

Many small towns do this very thing.  Many precincts have also tried to implement much more civilian oversight, assuming they have the resources.  For example, Austin tried this two years ago.  They had one going back almost two decades, but they dismantled it and tried to restructure.  

The restructure was called for because the earlier steps really didn't work as intended.  Took too long to get everything in front of them.  The City of Austin didn't allow the panel to communicate directly with the police chief.  Recommendations were not tracked.  Etc.  It was a mess.

The reason it took place a few years back was because the union contract was up in 2017.  So changes were allowed to be made.  The union is still there, still pushing back 100% of the time, but accords were made....such as anonymous complaint misconduct investigations and the authority of the precinct to lodge their own internal complaints.  What died at the table, however, was the civilian panels ability to issue a subpoena.  So again, for the thousandth time, it's these fucking unions.  You want "structural change"....they are the fucking "structure"

• Hook 'Em 2

• 1 year later...
7 minutes ago, drt said:

TLDR: white off duty cop saw a black man reaching out to shake his hand, which terrified him, and justifies the homicide to a podunk jury because of the split second doctrine that LEOs enjoy

God bless Texas, we love our cops no matter how cowardly they are

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

TLDR: white off duty cop saw a black man reaching out to shake his hand, which terrified him, and justifies the homicide to a podunk jury because of the split second doctrine that LEOs enjoy
God bless Texas, we love our cops no matter how cowardly they are

Perhaps you missed the part where he suddenly reached out his hand….and he was black. What god-fearing white personal WOULDN’T fear for his life in such a brazen attack?

We are so fucking broken.

I think the only surprising part of this story was that the cop was fired within days.  That the entire jury was white sure wasn't.  Story doesn't say if the cop was rehired there or elsewhere, but odds are pretty good he's gainfully employed as a LEO somewhere.

• Like 1

I think the only surprising part of this story was that the cop was fired within days.  That the entire jury was white sure wasn't.  Story doesn't say if the cop was rehired there or elsewhere, but odds are pretty good he's gainfully employed as a LEO somewhere.

He‘ll be running for Congress, successfully, within 2 yrs.

My two cents: until you actually start caring about women (how y’all basically get born and shit until they figure out some other way) shut the fuck up. White, brown, black men shut the fuck up. It’s just a bunch of fucked up people with or without privilege. You can blame white privilege all you want it does not fix a damn thing. Blame the police and still want government control of your lives. Fucking stupid. If only there was some utopian government that could just make us all equal? Tell that to those 5’4” guys getting leg surgery. You’re still short. 

3 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Forget it dude, she’s drunker than usual.

Sober since April 24. But thanks for playing. I just find it really interesting how people quite a bit of the people that hate the police want some type of government controlled life. Paradoxically fucked. 

1 minute ago, Nivek said:

Don’t be a dick, she thought she was in the “ shit’s going down in the chess world” thread.

He so cheated!!

• Hook 'Em 1