hey, no big deal, fbi busts attempt to kidnap michigan gov and overthrow the government

hayden_horn

1 minute ago, Cajun said:

Nice strawman.

Not even close to what I was saying.  Excusing what the arrested nutters were planning?  Boy, you've got a helluva imagination.  Maybe you should try your hand out in Hollywood.

Yeah, but you stated that she had gone beyond merely enacting policies that drew strong (even merited) opposition was "nutbar inviting nutbar."  No.  When a duly elected public official enacts legal policies that you disagree with, violent revolution is a unilateral "nutbar" response.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, but you stated that she had gone beyond merely enacting policies that drew strong (even merited) opposition was "nutbar inviting nutbar."  No.  When a duly elected public official enacts legal policies that you disagree with, violent revolution is a unilateral "nutbar" response.

Brisket, you and I just have different definitions of nutters.  I think there are tons of them in public office and, yes, both teams have legions at their disposal.  Narcissistic, power drunk, nutters.  Your definition, your bar, is a higher hurdle.

It's that simple.

You're reading way too much into my comment and you know how I feel about Militia Boy and his crew.  I know you do.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

26 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Those folks on that site, sure, but I don't hold that opinion for everyone who attends any more than I do for the UT grads in their right leaning safe spaces who agree with them. The football rivalry I 'get' but Texas (the state) as a whole needs to address more than just 'aggy' for systemic backward issues and attitudes.

OU is a football rivalry. Michigan Ohio State is a football rivalry. Texas A&M views our rivalry as a holy jihad of good versus evil. They believe themselves to be righteous and pure and good in every way. They're fucking weird.

If a Longhorn encounters a Sooner, there will be some fun jabbing and kidding. The feeling is heated on game day then fades away in everyday life as sports should. If a Longhorn encounters a true Aggie, they act like they're in the presence of Beezelbub and make absurd declarations about how they and their school are better in the eyes of God than "tu."

Looking at their site is not looking at the aberration. The aberration is comprised of students whom would fit in at just about any other university.

Forgive me if I'm lecturing to someone who actually is familiar with Aggies, but, if so, your experience doesn't jibe with most of us here.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Then one winter I was shooting at a flock of chickadees by a stream that ran behind our house. They're small but there were so many of them up in the trees that I figured I'd hit something. But there was a cardinal chirping away up there and I thought he was chasing them away. So, without even aiming or even raising the gun to my shoulder, I just pointed it in his general direction, shouted "Shut up!" and fired. Down came the cardinal. That freaked me out because the cardinal is the state bird of Indiana (and Ohio, W. Virginia, Kentucky, and Illinois). I thought I might get in trouble so I broke a hole in the ice and dropped his body into the stream. I watched this red spot through the ice as it floated away downstream. That was the last time I fired that gun. I haven't fired any gun since. 

I think you're my twin brother from another mother.  I took my Crosman down to the neighborhood park and decided to shoot at a bird up on a telephone wire.  Took a few shots, as I wasn't exactly close, but I eventually brought him down.  I felt terrible.  I'm not against hunting (nor was I then) but I killed that bird for no good reason.  Didn't sleep well for days.  Didn't really shoot that BB gun much after that, either.

Decades later, I wouldn't mind being taught how to shoot by a good instructor.  I'm still leery of having a gun around the house.  All these militia freaks give me pause, though.

4 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

OU is a football rivalry. Michigan Ohio State is a football rivalry. Texas A&M views our rivalry as a holy jihad of good versus evil. They believe themselves to be righteous and pure and good in every way. They're fucking weird.

If a Longhorn encounters a Sooner, there will be some fun jabbing and kidding. The feeling is heated on game day then fades away in everyday life as sports should. If a Longhorn encounters a true Aggie, they act like they're in the presence of Beezelbub and make absurd declarations about how they and their school are better in the eyes of God than "tu."

Looking at their site is not looking at the aberration. The aberration is comprised of students whom would fit in at just about any other university.

Forgive me if I'm lecturing to someone who actually is familiar with Aggies, but, if so, your experience doesn't jibe with most of us here.

I’m familiar with them. I know the hard core “on the outside looking...” types but am much more in the company of the 2%rs that are critical thinkers and recognize the institution warts and all. Not everyone views higher ed with the loyalty of the culture, especially those that are already on the margins. Sometimes it is a means to an end. 

But I understand what you’re  saying I think.

Just now, Goredho said:

Amid all the justified anger here, the FBI deserves some kudos for taking these assholes down before they could execute their shitty plan.

Its good to know some institutions are still functional.

They seem to uncover these groups far more often than not.  McVeigh slipped through the wires.  Other lone shooters did.  Other than that, most of these idiots hoist themselves on their own retards.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I’m more than happy that the FBI is taking these terrorist cells out. I am concerned that, as implied above, the circle of QAnon, gun gangs, and  gullible mentally unstable citizens has too much crossover. 

well at least they're easy to identify

Just now, DanTheHorn said:

I am not a lawyer but wasn't surveillance their step toward the plot. So it is no longer just considered talking about it.

From the affidavit, the terrorists had drawn up a tactical plan to attack the governor's vacation home and went so far as to estimate response times and discussed blowing up a bridge to slow down the authorities response. They were practicing building IED's in the woods. The FBI has them on fucking video and audio doing all this shit.

They were well past talking about it.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

I am not a lawyer but wasn't surveillance their step toward the plot. So it is no longer just considered talking about it.

Yes. That was in the affidavit. Plus blowing up a bridge to thwart the police and setting off other explosions to divert them.  
Lot more organization than the guy who wreaked havoc in El Paso which was a horrific tragedy. The FBI has to walk the fine line between being proactive and reactive and thank heavens they caught them. 

Thanks @Captainant that was fast!

Edited by Mrs Whiggins

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Thank you.

We call these people terrorists.  That's what they are. 

I'll get this political and that's it.

Trump's use of Twitter has irrirated me as long as he's been president. It's so absurd to have a president tweet out the shit that he has, and it helps absolutely no one regardless of political views.

I mean I see the "Liberate Michigan!" Tweet and my first thought isn't "wow that's awful, and aged really poorly" it's "does that even crack the top 20? Top 50?" I'm just numb to it at this point. I could allign with him on every policy issue (and I don't) and the Twitter shit would still be indefensible.

That said, these people (in the article) do not speak for the conservative base (whatever the fuck that is anymore). They are extremist nutjobs, and the fact that they were targeting LEOs only reinforces that and that's where the partisanism ends in my book. 

But, you know, no one in this country seems to have political integrity anymore so it's really not surprising that they would think they are somehow "doing it for the GOP".

Just fucking ridiculous all around. Thank God the FBI is still doing its job. Sometimes.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Nutjob on one side of the coin attracts attention from nutjob on other side of the coin.

The rest is just blah blah blah

They got your guns now buddy.

Even attempted terrorism against an elected official gets a hearty "both sides!"

Jesus Christ, this country is gone.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

That said, these people (in the article) do not speak for the conservative base (whatever the fuck that is anymore). They are extremist nutjobs, and the fact that they were targeting LEOs only reinforces that and that's where the partisanism ends in my book.

This is the end result when both of the major political parties are controlled by their extremists

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Fuck You 4

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I need to buy a gun.  I'm serious.  I've owned one gun in my life -- a Crosman CO2 BB gun.  (It was pretty rad.)

Guess I need to read up on home protection as well as how to keep shit safely locked away.  Fuck 2020.  I never even wanted to think like this whatsoever.

Home protection? Get a Remington semiautomatic shotgun, 12 gauge. 

Personal protection outside the home? Get a pistol. I’ll let others chime in with recommendations, but there are a lot of trade offs involved (size, capacity, accuracy, stopping power).

Protection in a civil war? Honestly, brains and luck are your best protection if that comes to pass. Running around with any combat worthy weapon just makes you a combatant and, hence, a prime target.

• Hook 'Em 2