Michigan overthrow attempt/kidnapping of governor thwarted

ztejas

More on the Wichita arrest:
https://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article246513655.html

A Wichita man has been arrested on suspicion of threatening to kidnap and kill Wichita Mayor Brandon Whipple over frustrations with the city’s mask ordinance, the mayor and police said Friday afternoon.

Meredith Dowty, 59, was booked into Sedgwick County Jail at 6:05 p.m., Friday, booking reports show. Police confirmed he is the suspect and said he could face a charge of criminal threat.

Whipple said he had been read a series of text messages received by another city official that asked about Whipple’s address and contained a detailed threat against his life.

The apparent motive was the suspect’s opposition to “masks and tyranny,” Whipple said.

“He said he was going to kidnap me and slash my throat and he needed my address because I needed to see the hangman — me and everyone who, something about tyranny,” Whipple said.

“It sounded like the person was very upset about pretty much mask mandates and he said something about not being able to see his mother because of COVID restrictions on elderly homes.”

Wichita police spokesman Charley Davidson confirmed that the department is investigating the threats and that so far, no other local officials are believed to have been targeted.

The suspect is a well-known local musician who performs under the name “Cathead” and has played numerous gigs in the Wichita bar and nightclub scene, said Joe Stumpe, a musician and former Eagle reporter.

He plays guitar and harmonica, Stumpe said.

Dowty is a retired Wichita city firefighter who was honored by the Wichita City Council in 2008 for his role in saving the life of a Wichita police officer who was shot in the line of duty.

I was today years old when I had to watch a current U.S. Governor (of a major State by the way) on national broadcast news plead for certain leaders to quit inciting violence with their rhetoric and ask nicely for certain leaders to condemn the actions of her would-be kidnappers and others like them so her fucking minor children didn't have to live in fear.  

Just be a parent for 5 fucking goddamn minutes...she had to ask (and nicely by the way) for certain people to fucking knock it off because her children are living with the fear of God in their minds every single day and night.  

But nope, gotta open up Applebee's.  When we laugh at his death, y'all remember this fucking moment.  Be a fucking parent and realize the terror she feels and how much composure she had to go on national network news tonight and ask nicely.  Nobody is saying he's directly responsible but it sure as shit doesn't help when he goes out and demands she face the consequences of her actions.  

I cannot with any fiber in my being, see how a parent of a child under 18, could possibly condone any of this.  

How in the wide world of fucks can you people explain this away?  The Governor had to ask on national TV to please shut the fuck up so my kids can go to bed without panic attacks?

TELL ME ONE FUCKING GODDAMN REASON THIS IS OKAY?  ONE FUCKING REASON.  

Fuck the Mexicans, the Democrats, the Liberals, the Media, Fuck 'em All.  I get it, I've been filled with rage too.  But you're gonna take team "Fuck the scared kids of my fellow elected officials"???  That's what you think Patriotism is?  She held her shit together far better than I could ever have done.  How do you watch that and think, "Yep, that's my guy!  Fucking balls on this guy...damn leader is what he is." 

He is going to jail or he is going to die before the next Winter Olympics. . And when I piss on his image on the streets.  Probably just political grand-standing on her part.  You know when the FBI arrests double digit people trying to grab you and possibly your kids, you always be on up on the TV like, "hey man, stand down yo.  You bitches betta step off from my kids."  

Seriously guys, maybe sit this cycle out.  Your guy is a piece of human shit.  When I shit on his poster on the streets next month, remember this.  

Edited by Lobo

I was today years old when I had to watch a current U.S. Governor (of a major State by the way) on national broadcast news plead for certain leaders to quit inciting violence with their rhetoric and ask nicely for certain leaders to condemn the actions of her would-be kidnappers and others like them so her fucking minor children didn't have to live in fear.  
Just be a parent for 5 fucking goddamn minutes...she had to ask (and nicely by the way) for certain people to fucking knock it off because her children are living with the fear of God in their minds every single day and night.  
But nope, gotta open up Applebee's.  When we laugh at his death, y'all remember this fucking moment.  Be a fucking parent and realize the terror she feels and how much composure she had to go on national network news tonight and ask nicely.  Nobody is saying he's directly responsible but it sure as shit doesn't help when he goes out and demands she face the consequences of her actions.  
I cannot with any fiber in my being, see how a parent of a child under 18, could possibly condone any of this.  
How in the wide world of fucks can you people explain this away?  The Governor had to ask on national TV to please shut the fuck up so my kids can go to bed without panic attacks?
TELL ME ONE FUCKING GODDAMN REASON THIS IS OKAY?  ONE FUCKING REASON.  
Fuck the Mexicans, the Democrats, the Liberals, the Media, Fuck 'em All.  I get it, I've been filled with rage too.  But you're gonna take team "Fuck the scared kids of my fellow elected officials"???  That's what you think Patriotism is?  She held her shit together far better than I could ever have done.  How do you watch that and think, "Yep, that's my guy!  Fucking balls on this guy...damn leader is what he is." 
He is going to jail or he is going to die before the next Winter Olympics. . And when I piss on his image on the streets.  Probably just political grand-standing on her part.  You know when the FBI arrests double digit people trying to grab you and possibly your kids, you always be on up on the TV like, "hey man, stand down yo.  You bitches betta step off from my kids."  
Seriously guys, maybe sit this cycle out.  Your guy is a piece of human shit.  When I shit on his poster on the streets next month, remember this.  

Your mistake is not just thinking that Trumpkins would be upset by this, but failing to realize that THEY LIKE IT. THIS IS WHAT THEY WANT.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Whoah, nobody mentioned his name.  Let's keep this sophisticated.  

I mean, I acknowledge this is an overly-simplistic description, peppered with some hyperbole. But that's the only language many in this nation speak anymore.  

To me, this was almost the same thing (I'M SAYING ALMOST, not completely) of watching the parents of kidnapped children plead with the criminals on television and having 42 million people watch at home and think, "Yeah, bitch and her family had it coming."  

You'll have to convince me it's not almost the same thing.  And use big words and case precedent because I'm tired of pretending we breathe the same air.  I'm a degenerate wino who can't make assistant manager at his bank, who barely attended UT.  But I have heart when it comes to parenting.  Tell me where my country broke.  

Edited by Lobo

Whoah, nobody mentioned his name.  Let's keep this sophisticated.  
I mean, I acknowledge this is an overly-simplistic description, peppered with some hyperbole. But that's the only language many in this nation speak anymore.  
To me, this was almost the same thing (I'M SAYING ALMOST, not completely) of watching the parents of kidnapped children plead with the criminals on television and having 42 million people watch at home and think, "Yeah, bitch and her family had it coming."  
You'll have to convince me it's not almost the same thing.  And use big words and case precedent because I'm tired of pretending we breathe the same air.  I'm a degenerate wino who can't make assistant manager at his bank, who barely attended UT.  But I have heart when it comes to parenting.  Tell me where my country broke.  

Where did it break?

32d3e32422b267f55f766bbcffd4d343.gif

I can handle the political fractures.  Watching grown men I respect abandon the construct of decency and fatherhood, that's a cracked bridge too far.  

I don't know how a dad watches her plea this evening on TV, then watches the guy tacitly endorsing the violence against her...then kicks back and thinks "Yeah, the worst dad example in this country are those people of color who stepped out on their kids.  They're the real problem in America." 

That's a whole other issue we need to face as a nation, and I agree with you in large part.  But the most visible dad in America, with almost limitless resources to help, looked at a pleading mom and her kids and basically said, "Yeah, she gets what's coming."  And 42 million of you cowards agreed with him.  

Anyway, every week is a bridge too far.  I thought some of you fellow middle-aged dads with young kids might start to give fuck one.  But why should it start today?  Nobody's asking you to donate money to the governor of Michigan.  Just be decent for two weeks.  That's it.  That's all.  But we're not gonna.  Because we're afraid we'll lose our seat at the table.  

Edited by Lobo

I can handle the political fractures.  Watching grown men I respect abandon the construct of decency and fatherhood, that's a cracked bridge too far.  
I don't know how a dad watches her plea this evening on TV, then watches the guy tacitly endorsing the violence against her...then kicks back and thinks "Yeah, the worst dad example in this country are those people of color who stepped out on their kids.  They're the real problem in America." 
That's a whole other issue we need to face as a nation, and I agree with you in large part.  But the most visible dad in America, with almost limitless resources to help, looked at a pleading mom and her kids and basically said, "Yeah, she gets what's coming."  And 42 million of you cowards agreed with him.  
Anyway, every week is a bridge too far.  I thought some of you fellow middle-aged dads with young kids might start to give fuck one.  But why should it start today?  Nobody's asking you to donate money to the governor of Michigan.  Just be decent for two weeks.  That's it.  That's all.  But we're not gonna.  Because we're afraid we'll lose our seat at the table.  

So....have you heard of the ledge? We have scotch. I am trying to get my cardio fitness back up, so snacks might be limited to fruits and veggies for a while, but you’re welcome to bring your own. Fritos and bean dip go well with an apocalypse, I hear.

We have a massive dose of poison coursing through our veins, and it ain’t going away.

I'm sorry, /no CR.  I'm sure you need company out there.  But if I'm honest, I'm likely heading back to the Libertarian/center-right GOP in 2022.  No ledge for me.  

What I just did not see coming was a pleading mother being shit on by the man who put her children in danger in the first place.  

I'll leave politics to CR, I'll posit simple fatherhood principles to this thread.  I just cannot wrap my head around fathers of young children watching his rhetoric and her plea and thinking that he is what leadership looks like.  

One of you assholes please explain to me what just unfolded in the last 24 hours just as a dad.  No spin, no politics, no polling.  How the fuck did this happen?  If your children are older and can fend for themselves, fine...so be it.  But if they are under 18 or even 25...and you watched your hero egg on kidnappers...then fuck you.  I know you felt like you finally had a place at the American political table with your guy.  You no longer had to be ashamed or marginalized.  And I want you at the national discussion.  But not like this.  He's vile filth.  Get your seat another way, not like this.  You're better than this.  Don't follow this piece of shit into the back room.  Figure out another way.  Be crafty, be smart, be honorable.  There's always a place for people who have passion and spirit on civic engagement.  Don't follow this piece of shit who couldn't be bothered to not give the Governor's children anything but night terror's tonight.  When his grandchildren can't sleep for 50 years...you remember this day.  You didn't have to back sin.  You could have just backed mediocrity.  You picked team shithead, I'd have been fine with team "Meh"  

3 hours ago, TeeDubya said:

Driven mad by masks?  Man, these are some real pussies.  I yearn for the days when our militias and preppers were preparing to fight an invading Russian force, knowing that there would be no prisoners taken if the Ruskies captured resistance members.

Now the only invading Russians are those guys' mail-order brides.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I'm sorry, /no CR.  I'm sure you need company out there.  But if I'm honest, I'm likely heading back to the Libertarian/center-right GOP in 2022.  No ledge for me.  

Or a better idea......don't. 

We can have a snack discussion on another thread.  I just can't believe what I saw today.  Of all the shit that's crumbled before our very eyes the last couple of years...I saw a mom have to plead with somebody to shut up so her kids could sleep tonight.  And instead...what did that perfect example of leadership do?  He doubled down on inciting violence upon children.  

Since this is DT, there's a chance that somebody will explain this away to me.  And I'm honestly waiting with open ears and an open mind.  She'll probably be fine, as will her family.  But we've already seen this spread immediately.  It's been going on since El Paso, but this was an open plea on open airwaves.  She's not holding the election hostage or anything, just a quick favor from elected official to another, "Hey man, be a lot cooler if you quit encouraging people to hurt my family."  But nope, real strength comes from egging that shit on apparently.  Somebody's children are gonna die by the hands of the people he incites before the end of January.  

I remember a time when men helped other people's kids.  Sorry that's a sign of weakness to many of you now.  I never believed in the HRC bullshit of "It takes a village"...but I at least clung to the old-school notion that it took a state full of solid guys to protect the innocent.  Must be weird to look at your kids tonight as they go to sleep.  I tucked mine in just fine because they know I'd never encourage somebody to hurt their friends.  Or look the other way when they did. 

Edited by Lobo

• 2 weeks later...

Prosecutors say they discovered bomb materials connected with Whitmer kidnap plot

LANSING – Federal prosecutors have asked for more time to hand down grand jury indictments in their kidnapping conspiracy case involving Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, saying the recent discovery of bomb components could lead to new charges, including terrorism-related charges.

In a court filing Monday, prosecutors asked for a 40-day extension of the time limit to seek indictments of six men charged under criminal complaints with kidnapping conspiracy.

"Firearms and explosive device components were recently recovered, and must be analyzed to determine whether charges under the National Firearms Act, explosives or anti-terrorism statutes are warranted," said Assistant U.S. Attorney Nils Kessler.

Kessler said in the court filing there is also a huge amount of other evidence to analyze. He said the FBI had to arrest the men before they finished processing the evidence because of evidence they were planning to abduct Whitmer ahead of the Nov. 3 election.

"The FBI has collected hundreds of hours of audio recordings from confidential human sources and undercover agents, and is still in the process of collating that material." Kessler said.

"Because of the imminent nature of the threat, law enforcement was obliged to arrest the subjects before this evidence could be processed."

Evidence presented during preliminary hearings and detention hearings suggested the men had discussed blowing up a bridge near Whitmer's northern Michigan cottage to slow police response to the kidnapping, But the court was also told the alleged conspirators were looking at purchasing $4,000 worth of explosives to detonate the bridge from an undercover FBI agent posing as a sympathizer.

I read some statements from one of the men's lawyers, that he was just dressing up and "playing army" and wasn't really going to do anything, even though he was doing all of this planning and training, telling all of these people that he was going to do something, 

I sympathize with him - when I was a little kid in elementary school, I was just dressing up and "playing serial killer that I saw on some scrambled Cinemax movie", and I still don't know why little Jimmy Peterson's parents and the cops were upset that I had knives, ropes, gags, a blindfold, and a bunch of fishing hooks on some fishing line when they caught me outside of of his window.  FFS, I was just pretending.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.detroitnews.com/amp/6046257002

In Lansing on Tuesday, Trump noted that his appointees — the U.S. attorneys for Detroit and Grand Rapids — filed the charges against six of the 14 defendants who are accused in the alleged kidnapping scheme. But the president seemed to question the strength of the cases. 

“It was our people that helped her out with her problem," the president said. "We’ll have to see if it’s a problem, right? People are entitled to say maybe it was a problem, maybe it wasn’t.”

Fuck that pussy-necked motherfucker
  • Hook 'Em 1

This man is just a straight-shooter with upper management written all over him.  

NO CR-------Obviously they deserve a fair trial without bias.  Obviously you don't want the high ranking officials in DC weighing on in every FBI/DOJ case, down to the AUSA level.  But has it occurred to them to simply shut the fuck up on the matter?  Yeah, maybe it was a problem, maybe it wasn't a problem.  Maybe today it'll rain, maybe it won't rain.  It serves no purpose to just go around pointing obvious shit and tainting this case with conjecture and verbal nothingness.  Just be quiet.  For once in your life, shut the fuck up.  I'm gonna go out on a wild limb and assume that the FBI and DOJ and even the most junior AUSA in Grand Rapids has done this before.  Maybe let them do their job.  Great leaders let smart people do their jobs, novel fucking concept I know. 

• 4 weeks later...

Disturbing new details in alleged plot to kidnap Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer.

CHICAGO (WLS) -- There is new and disturbing information in the alleged militia plot against the governor of Michigan.

The 14 men charged had far more violent plans than just a kidnapping, according to federal and state authorities.

New filings claim there was a Plan B the militiamen had drawn up, that involved a takeover of the Michigan capitol building by 200 combatants who would stage a week-long series of televised executions of public officials.

And, according to government documents now on file in lower Michigan court, there was also a Plan C -- burning down the state house, leaving no survivors.

In an interview with the ABC 7 Chicago I-Team last week, Michigan's attorney general, who's prosecuting some of the militiamen, discussed the domestic terror threat.

"We are one of the few states that does not ban guns in our state capitol building, and clearly there have been threats made on the lives of our legislators; you probably saw the pictures back from in April, where we had armed gunman, some of them, same defendants in this case, that were hovering over state senators with long guns, screaming and yelling at them as they were deliberating, as they were discussing legislation and as they were voting, so that remains a big concern to me in a very scary scenario," said Dana Nessel.

That fear bleeds over to Illinois. Illinois Gov. JB Pritzker mentioned the Michigan case during Tuesday's COVID-19 update.

"We have threats that stream into my office daily, while we have watched the kidnapping plot against the Michigan governor unfold just a state away," said Pritzker.

Despite the violent nature of the charges, including an alleged plan to hold a mock treason trial for the governor of Michigan once she was kidnapped, several of the defendants have had bond reductions and are now free.

Higgins' attorney suggested in court that he may challenge extradition altogether at Thursday's bond hearing in Wisconsin.

18 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Take your own advice, dipshit.

What? You're not even making sense. If I wrote something like "how could you even call them those names," sure then a stick would be up my ass, but I'm just getting the right naming for a funny name for these assholes. Now, go pull that stick out of your ass, and stop bothering me.

For you lawyers on here---what's the legal "judgement" for whether or not those other two psychotic threats can actually be used against them as official charges?   

To me, there's a big difference (not sure if it's a legal one though)...between some rednecks with a few rifles say online they are gonna host mass televised executions in a government building and them actually being able to pull something like that off.  Lots of people have blown steam online about wanting to do this or that to government officials.  But these guys obviously were a lot further down the planning rabbit hole and certainly had the weapons/explosives to at least attempt it in a bloody fashion.  the FBI case against them on kidnapping/interrogation/murder (likely rape) is pretty clear.  But legally, can they really attach these Plans B&C to these guys or is the defense schtick gonna hold that, "B&C were just drunken rants of mentally ill people, nobody should take that seriously."???   

Because if Plans B & C can legally be attributed as attempted crimes to these men, then sorry---I'm gonna go ahead and have to insist we keep the bitching and moaning about looting a CVS to a minimum.  If there were legally definitive plans to execute dozens of public officials on television, I think that kinda usurps protests and property damage.  

Now if those other plans were just the drunken, insane lamentations of one lone member of the group, then so be it.  It's just starting to get curious to me that so much crazy violence by a certain, narrow demographic was all done in such a short period of time with only one common denominator.  Must just be a coincidence.    

• 2 months later...

First one rolled:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/27/politics/gretchen-whitmer-kidnapping-plot/index.html

(CNN)One of six men federally charged on suspicion of being involved in a plot to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer last year pleaded guilty Wednesday.

Ty Garbin, 25, signed an agreement pleading guilty in federal court in Michigan to the sole charge against him -- kidnapping conspiracy.
According to the agreement, Garbin will continue to cooperate with prosecutors against the five other defendants, all of whom have pleaded not guilty to kidnapping conspiracy.
In exchange, prosecutors agreed to recommend a sentence lesser than the maximum carried by the charge, which would have been life in prison.

"Just Playing Army"  Must have an aggy ring

The guys from Michigan to the U.S. Capitol...to all points in between...they're gonna roll on each other like White Power Day at Cracker Barrel (no, nobody knows what that means).  I fucking love it.  I'm so sorry that some of you have to watch your heroes be shuffled away in tears with plea deals stapled to their backs. 

Either flip on your fellow supporters of you-know-who and spend the rest of your life looking over your shoulder or die in federal prison.  This is fucking hilarious.  Either way, they're fucked for life.  Because of their earnest desire to not wear masks, support their false messiah, and get to eat dinner at Chili's.  Hope it was worth it boys, there's an online peer-to-peer payment system setup to put canteen money into the account of the inmates you'll be sharing space with this next year just so we can laugh at the idea of you having the shit beat out of you in the yard because you believed in wrong sack of lies from the wrong sack of shit pretending to be your leader.  Ha-Ha.  Good luck living out your sentence as a punching bag.  Make Assholes Gape Again.  Burn in hell cowards.