If not Urban Meyer, who?

Beau Vine

If not Urban Myer, who?  

347 members have voted

1. 1. Suppose we can't/won't get Urban Meyer...who is your backup plan?

• Bryan Harsin
    • Chris Petersen
    • Bob Stoops
    • Mack Brown
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Steve Sarkisian
    • James Franklin
    • Bill O'Brien
    • Gus Mahlzan
    • Kyle Shanahan
    • would rather keep Herman if we can't get Meyer
    • Other, mention in reply
    • PJ Fleck
    • Matt Campbell
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Jesus Christ himself

Posted Dec 15, 2013 at 12:01 AMUpdated Sep 25, 2018 at 2:28 PM

Who should Texas hire?

Or, perhaps, who can Texas hire?

It won’t be Alabama’s Nick Saban, who topped the season-long rumor mill as Mack Brown’s possible replacement. He agreed to a contract extension Friday night that will keep him coaching the Crimson Tide. So who does that leave?

Here are possibilities that Texas may look at:

AIMING HIGH ...

Urban Meyer, Ohio State: If Saban is regarded as the best, then the 49-year-old Meyer is a pretty close second. He won two national championships at Florida and has a 24-1 record in his two seasons at Ohio State. He’s from the Buckeye State, though, so moving would be a tough sell.

Record: 128-24 (24-1 at Ohio State)

Jimbo Fisher, Florida State: Already has succeeded at following one legend. The 48-year-old former offensive coordinator has restored the Seminoles to a national power and, in his fourth season, is favored to win the BCS championship game with the likely Heisman Trophy winner at quarterback.

Record: 44-10 (all at Florida State)

Gus Malzahn, Auburn: An offensive wizard who has the Tigers playing for the national championship in his first year, and Sports Illustrated reported that Texas is his dream job. His response: “I’m tickled to death to be the head coach of the Auburn Tigers.” Age 48, born in Texas, grew up in Arkansas.

Record: 12-1 (all at Auburn)

Jim Harbaugh, San Francisco 49ers: Many dismiss the Harbaughs (see below) as candidates, but some key Texas officials are said to be interested in exploring the possibilities. The younger Harbaugh, 49, was in the Super Bowl last season. Why does he need this? But as SI.com pointed out, he turned down an extension before this season. And he has college roots.

Record: 33-11-1 (NFL), 58-27 (college)

John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens: Really hard to picture this. Why would he want the job? The 51-year-old coached the Ravens to the Super Bowl championship last season, has never been a college head coach and hasn’t even been a college assistant since 1997, with Indiana.

Record: 70-36 (NFL)

Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers: A Super Bowl winner as the Steelers’ head coach, the 41-year-old has been reported to be a candidate. But a person close to Tomlin told the American-Statesman a few weeks ago that the coach has no interest.

Record: 73-43

PROVEN WINNERS ...

David Shaw, Stanford: Texas could satisfy a lot of constituencies by hiring the 41-year-old. Shaw would be the first African-American head football coach of the Longhorns, and he’d be coming from a school that pays more than lip service to having high academic standards for athletes. Oh, and he’s 3-for-3 in making BCS bowls while playing a physical style. But ... he’s a former NFL assistant perceived as a guy who would only leave his alma mater to head back to the NFL.

Record: 34-6

Les Miles, LSU: The 60-year-old is a former Big 12 guy (Oklahoma State). He won the national championship at LSU in 2007 and lost the title game to Alabama in 2011. But on the other hand, the Mad Hatter is a bit goofy and doesn’t fit Texas’ button-down image.

Record: 122-45 (94-24 at LSU)

Charlie Strong, Louisville: Strong, 53, also would make history as Texas’ first African-American coach. He’s coming off an 11-1 season and appears ready to jump into a bigger conference. The former defensive coordinator and interim head coach at Florida reportedly was a candidate to replace Will Muschamp as Texas’ defensive coordinator in 2011, and was mentioned as a candidate to replace Muschamp again had Muschamp not survived at Florida this season.

Record: 36-16

DIGGING DEEPER ...

Jim Mora, UCLA: After a long career on the NFL sidelines, he went to UCLA in 2012 and turned around the Bruins’ struggling program. A 52-year-old who brings a nice blend of style and substance, but not a huge track record of success.

Record: 18-8 (college); 31-33 (NFL)

Bill O’Brien, Penn State: Took over the Nittany Lions in the toughest of circumstances after the child sex abuse scandal, and the 44-year-old former Bill Belichick assistant has received universal praise for winning despite painful sanctions. Interviewed for the Eagles’ and Browns’ head-coaching jobs last year.

Record: 15-9

David Cutcliffe, Duke: A molder of quarterbacks, the 59-year-old Alabama native has done what some thought nearly impossible — give Duke a football team that even the basketball program can enjoy. Developing 2-star and occasional 3-star recruits, Cutcliffe made a bowl game last year and followed it up with playing for the ACC title and the first 10-win season in Blue Devils history.

Record: 75-72 (31-43 at Duke)

Al Golden, Miami: Won 17 games in his last two seasons at Temple. That’s Temple. In three seasons since taking over a troubled Miami program, the 44-year-old has increased his victory total every year, up to nine in 2013.

Record: 49-48 (22-14 at Miami)

Larry Fedora, North Carolina: Texas’ last hire from Chapel Hill turned out pretty well, didn’t he? The 51-year-old knows the territory: Born in College Station (we’ll forgive him for that), coached high school ball in Texas (Garland) and is a former offensive coordinator at Oklahoma State. Reportedly almost got the Texas A&M job in 2011 before Kevin Sumlin was hired.

Record: 48-29 (14-10 at North Carolina)

REALLY NOW? REALLY? ...

Major Applewhite, Texas: Sure, he’s a favorite son around here for his work as an overachieving Longhorns quarterback. But after one season calling plays, the 35-year-old is not nearly as popular as he once was. So ... forget it.

Will Muschamp, Florida: The 42-year-old is the former head coach-in-waiting at Texas. But he is unproven as a head coach — 22-16 in three years at Florida, including 4-8 this season. He went 11-2 in 2012, but right now, as a head coach, Muschamp is considered an outstanding defensive coordinator.

For the lulz...

Just now, youdunnf'dup said:

Chris Petersen is literally the only other guy that would give me a chub if we hired him. I think that would be slam dunk. Problem is he ain’t coming here. I think he likes his job and being on the west coast 

I completely agree.  He's a great coach, but he's not a guy who absolutely lives to win football games. 

He was literally on his way to becoming the next Don James in Seattle, and he decided he wasn't enjoying life.

Spelled Meyer's name wrong and put Stoops and BoB on the list. 

If we hire BoB I am buying a bottle of lighter fluid and taking all of my merch out into the street and burning it and never cheering for this program ever again.

I won't even entertain the idea of Stoops. No fucking way that is happening.

( I will thank you for not putting Dykes or Patterson on the list)

Edited by ztejas

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Spelled Meyer's name wrong and put Stoops and BoB on the list. 

If we hire BoB I am buying a bottle of lighter fluid and taking all of my merch out into the street and burning it and never cheering for this program ever again.

I won't even entertain the idea of Stoops. No fucking way that is happening.

I don’t give a fuck anymore.  If it means us getting on a 10-15 year roll, hire Stoops with Briles as his OC and Mike Vick as our extracurricular events planner. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Just now, EZ$ said:

I don’t give a fuck anymore.  If it means us getting on a 10-15 year roll, hire Stoops with Briles as his OC and Mike Vick as our extracurricular events planner. 

I actually like what Stoops would bring to the table. I just don't see it happening.

Probably a longshot but I'd like to see us make a run at Mario Cristobal. He's shown he can make good coordinator hires (unlike Herman) and he's something of a Saban 2.0 in the way he runs the program at Oregon. He'd also have no problem doing what it takes to succeed in recruiting (with bagmen and all that entails) regardless of bluehair pontificating.

• Hook 'Em 4

I just wish fleck was a little  more proven. He seems like another Herman type of hire. Herman was the same type of young popular name for all the big jobs. Eddie O was LSUs fallback when they didn’t get herman. I just want a proven guy. I’m tired of this guessing game bullshit. At least Petersen has proven he can build a winning culture at two stops and he’s coached in some big games. Plus I trust his ability to hire assist coaches. 

2 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Probably a longshot but I'd like to see us make a run at Mario Cristobal. He's shown he can make good coordinator hires (unlike Herman) and he's something of a Saban 2.0 in the way he runs the program at Oregon. He'd also have no problem doing what it takes to succeed in recruiting (with bagmen and all that entails) regardless of bluehair pontificating.

Why a long shot?

I could be wrong, but I don’t think Petersen ever coaches again. He seemed really disillusioned with recruiting and the sport in general (maybe due to Cristobal getting in the mud in recruiting on the west coast). You want to hire a guy with at least 5 years of experience, and Fleck fits that. I’m first and foremost a Rutgers fan unfortunately, so I know all about Schiano’s coaching tree. Cristobal and Fleck started to become great coaches under him as did Jeff Hafley, who’s now at BC. Hafley is too inexperienced to even be considered, but I think he’s a future star.

It’s especially important to consider a coach’s draft record if they’re coming from the G5 (God forbid). Look at Herman’s abysmal draft record of guys recruited under him at UH and compare it to successful G5 to P5 coaches in the past decade. Brian Kelly, Matt Rhule, Fleck, Campbell, and a bunch more got more guys they recruited into the draft than that of Herman 4 years later at UH. It can be misleading though because guys like Charlie Strong can produce 10 (I think) draft picks in ‘15 and still be bad coaches.

Fleck is a star in this profession, but I’d first like to see how many guys from his first three classes (‘17-19) get drafted. Bateman is for sure one of them, but I haven’t dug enough to see who their other ‘21 prospects are.

Edited by George Clooney
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, George Clooney said:

I could be wrong, but I don’t think Petersen ever coaches again. He seemed really disillusioned with recruiting and the sport in general (maybe due to Cristobal getting in the mud in recruiting on the west coast). You want to hire a guy with at least 5 years of experience, and Fleck fits that. I’m first and foremost a Rutgers fan unfortunately, so I know all about Schiano’s coaching tree. Cristobal and Fleck started to become great coaches under him as did Jeff Hafley, who’s now at BC. Hafley is too inexperienced to even be considered, but I think he’s a future star.

It’s especially important to consider a coach’s draft record if they’re coming from the G5 (God forbid). Look at Herman’s abysmal draft record of guys recruited under him at UH and compare it to successful G5 to P5 coaches in the past decade. Brian Kelly, Matt Rhule, Fleck, Campbell, and a bunch more guys recruited under them at their G5 schools drafted than that of Herman 4 years later at UH. It can be misleading though because guys like Charlie Strong can produce 10 (I think) draft picks in ‘15 and still be bad coaches.

Fleck is a star in this profession, but I’d first like to see how many guys from his first three classes (‘17-19) get drafted. Bateman is for sure one of them, but I haven’t dug enough to see who their other ‘21 prospects are.

Dude quit because of stress and anxiety at fucking Washington. Imagine what Texas would do to him

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Great post. A lot of posters here don’t like Mario, but you could tell all the way back in 2001 at Rutgers that he’d be a star. 

2 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Dude quit because of stress and anxiety at fucking Washington. Imagine what Texas would do to him

I gotcha. I wasn’t aware of his situation. I just respect him a lot more than anyone else on that list if he’s got a clear head and ready to take on a new challenge. But you’re probably right.

16 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Franklin has the most "Mack Brown at UNC" about him.  I think about what would have happened if we had hired him instead of Charlie.

I really like Franklin’s draft development. I don’t like that school but he and his staff really know how to evaluate. However, their recruiting is taking a tailspin for no apparent reason. Also, his in game coaching (especially at the end of games) might be worse than Herman’s. I want to see how they do this year and if that bumps their recruiting up again, and if not then he’s probably ruined his trajectory for good. 

The guy in my avatar may be looking for a challenge.  He would need a deal that he doesn’t go to prison if he kills someone because I am pretty sure he would kill one of our players for doing something dumb/committing penalties or kill one of our assistant coaches for being an idiot.  It doesn’t really matter since I think Meyer will be our coach by mid November and have a top 5 recruiting class locked up by January.

12 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

After looking into it, Tanner Morgan will likely declare in ‘21 so that’s another. Boye Mafe is a stud DE for them who will also likely get drafted. Giant OT Daniel Faalele (6’8” 400 lbs.) would likely get drafted as well. Chris Autman-Bell has an outside shot in addition. Corners Coney Durr and Benjamin St. Juste could get drafted with good seasons. Again, I’d like to see a year or two more of Fleck but he and his staff can definitely evaluate and develop at multiple positions.