If not Urban Meyer, who?

Beau Vine

If not Urban Myer, who?  

347 members have voted

1. 1. Suppose we can't/won't get Urban Meyer...who is your backup plan?

• Bryan Harsin
    • Chris Petersen
    • Bob Stoops
    • Mack Brown
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Steve Sarkisian
    • James Franklin
    • Bill O'Brien
    • Gus Mahlzan
    • Kyle Shanahan
    • would rather keep Herman if we can't get Meyer
    • Other, mention in reply
    • PJ Fleck
    • Matt Campbell
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Jesus Christ himself

4 hours ago, Thiefery said:

Freeze is becoming a big name again with the success he's had at Liberty.. Wonder which AD/Admin say fuck it and pulls the trigger on him

I'm sure there will be a thread for him here as soon as it's clear Urban isn't happening

4 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

Freeze cell phoned more prostitutes than Ron Jeremy on a busy day. 

Ron Jeremy wasn’t calling prostitutes. Those were actresses, Sir! With fine dialog such as “Deeper!” and “Blow it on my face!” some of them even won awards for Best Anal Newcomer of the Year and Longest Rimjob. 

How dare you besmirch their good names? Little Oral Annie has a family too!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Tom Allen needs to stay at IU. 

Why do you say that?  Are you an IU fan or do you not want him at Texas?

I'm serious in wanting someone to tell me more about him.  I haven't bothered to do any research but I'm impressed that he's about to have Indiana at 4-0 with wins over Penn St, Michigan, and Michigan State.  Although as the season goes on, the less sense the Big Ten makes, so who knows?

Edited by WBT

5 minutes ago, WBT said:

Why do you say that?  Are you an IU fan or do you not want him at Texas?

I'm serious in wanting someone to tell me more about him.  I haven't bothered to do any research but I'm impressed that he's about to have Indiana at 4-0 with wins over Penn St, Michigan, and Michigan State.  Although as the season goes on, the less sense the Big Ten makes, so who knows?

He’s kind of gimmicky like Fleck. The whole LEO thing.  He’s cobble together his roster by gathering unwanted scraps from all over. His best players are Florida athletes rejected by big schools.  He definitely has the chops in the coaching profession so I am not saying he is a fraud like Fleck might be and is probably a solid coach.  We just need a guy to come take over the state in recruiting. I don’t think he’s that.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I don’t want to do the hot name G5 coach thing again even for Fickell.  Even for anybody.  They always want to bring their existing staff because they don’t want to be disloyal to “the guys who got me here” which invariably means you wind up with multiple coaches and at least one coordinator who have no business being at the P5 level.  We’ve been burned twice with that already.   Enough.  You buy a proven P5 level staff this time starting with a HC who has proven he can recruit, ID coaching talent, and not be an inflexible meat head.  

11 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

I don’t want to do the hot name G5 coach thing again even for Fickell.  Even for anybody.  They always want to bring their existing staff because they don’t want to be disloyal to “the guys who got me here” which invariably means you wind up with multiple coaches and at least one coordinator who have no business being at the P5 level.  We’ve been burned twice with that already.   Enough.  You buy a proven P5 level staff this time starting with a HC who has proven he can recruit, ID coaching talent, and not be an inflexible meat head.  

I agree wholeheartedly, but what coach is out there right now that fits the criteria? There are no solid options at P5 schools that have any realistic shot at coming here. All of the real options that were on the table have outed themselves as being frauds or totally inept. We all want the perfect coach that we can just pluck off the tree with p5 winning pedigree, but this season that guy doesn’t really exist. Besides urban obviously. 

1 minute ago, theBigHen said:

I agree wholeheartedly, but what coach is out there right now that fits the criteria? There are no solid options at P5 schools that have any realistic shot at coming here. All of the real options that were on the table have outed themselves as being frauds or totally inept. We all want the perfect coach that we can just pluck off the tree with p5 winning pedigree, but this season that guy doesn’t really exist. Besides urban obviously. 

Cristobal is the closest thing. He was Bama's recruiting coordinator from 2013-2016, so he fully understands the ins and outs of "the game." He was also a great OL coach, so he knows how to evaluate and develop that position, which is arguably the biggest key to success in CFB. The problem is he's only had 2 good seasons (will probably be 3 after this year), and he may not even want to leave Oregon with the way he's recruiting.

• Hook 'Em 1

Back to the future Head Corch In Waiting, Corch Boom, is now available to take his rightful place in Austin!

But wait! Now you get Corch Boom with SEC ties!

Those ties are strong and would help in recruiting. 

Call now and  we will waive the shipping & handling fees! This special offer Will only be available for a limited time.

• Fuck You 3

HAHA

PSU big money guys ready to trip up the 0-4 corch Franklin? funny how these stories pop up at appropriate times...  same as with LSU.

not that i'm complaining. and not that there's anything wrong with it. except of course, market value of CUM going up up up... potentially.

On 11/15/2020 at 9:03 PM, TXpride said:

Cristobal is the closest thing. He was Bama's recruiting coordinator from 2013-2016, so he fully understands the ins and outs of "the game." He was also a great OL coach, so he knows how to evaluate and develop that position, which is arguably the biggest key to success in CFB. The problem is he's only had 2 good seasons (will probably be 3 after this year), and he may not even want to leave Oregon with the way he's recruiting.

And Jimmy is probably right after that. I'm thinking he's going back to the NFL, though.

Dan Mullen maybe. But he ain't leaving.

Yeah, I think there’d be hesitation from both sides with Cristobal. I’m not I believe Texas would go in on Urban Meyer type shady program baggage without Urban Meyer’s resume. And I don’t really see why he’d come here. He can get a raise at Oregon. They’ve got no shortage of money of Nike money for facilities and what not. They appear to be getting things rolling. Oregon isn’t that far behind Texas in terms of the top job opening order at this point.

Fickell built that team. He’s a good coach. 

Fickell built that team. He’s a good coach. 

This. I understand the G5 PTSD on this board but this isn’t Tom Herman finding ways to lose in the AAC with Greg Ward and Ed Oliver. It isn’t Charlie Strong living off Teddy Bridgewater. Cincinnati is smashing teams this year and their only losses last year were a NY6 Memphis team and Ohio State. They’re solid. Their recruiting for 2021 and 2022 looks solid.

He is an Ohio/Midwest guy through and through though. Very little in the way of Texas ties. That’d concern me more. And he turned down some pretty significant P5 interest last year to extend his contract. He could be waiting for a ND or a Michigan (though as an Ohio State guy I’m not sure he could see himself there) or even Ohio State if Day gets an NFL call.

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

This. I understand the G5 PTSD on this board but this isn’t Tom Herman finding ways to lose in the AAC with Greg Ward and Ed Oliver. It isn’t Charlie Strong living off Teddy Bridgewater. Cincinnati is smashing teams this year and their only losses last year were a NY6 Memphis team and Ohio State. They’re solid. Their recruiting for 2021 and 2022 looks solid.

He is an Ohio/Midwest guy through and through though. Very little in the way of Texas ties. That’d concern me more. And he turned down some pretty significant P5 interest last year to extend his contract. He could be waiting for a ND or a Michigan (though as an Ohio State guy I’m not sure he could see himself there) or even Ohio State if Day gets an NFL call.

Schembechler had Ohio/Ohio state/Woody Hayes ties and he went to Michigan

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's something familiar about this story from Michigan State, but I can't quite put my finger on it. 

And then on Thursday, there were some rumors that Meyer was spotted in East Lansing (nothing reputable to source) and the flight tracker reported that a plane went from Sarasota, Fla., to Lansing.

On his podcast on Thursday, former Last Chance U head coach Jason Brown stated that he spoke with someone who claimed that Meyer was in East Lansing interviewing for the job.

Brown went on to say that he knows how Urban Meyer is and he’s a competitor. He will want to get back into coaching and have a chance to beat teams like Ohio State and Michigan.

https://spartanavenue.com/2023/10/19/michigan-state-football-urban-meyer-saga-took-another-crazy-turn/