If not Urban Meyer, who?

Beau Vine

If not Urban Myer, who?  

347 members have voted

1. 1. Suppose we can't/won't get Urban Meyer...who is your backup plan?

• Bryan Harsin
    • Chris Petersen
    • Bob Stoops
    • Mack Brown
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Steve Sarkisian
    • James Franklin
    • Bill O'Brien
    • Gus Mahlzan
    • Kyle Shanahan
    • would rather keep Herman if we can't get Meyer
    • Other, mention in reply
    • PJ Fleck
    • Matt Campbell
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Jesus Christ himself

8 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

That's why I put him on the list.  If you want Meyer, why would you not consider Stoops?

Consider? Sure. But Bob didn't win shit after his second year, and those weren't his players. Urban is a clear grade above that.

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

No PJ Fleck?  

Fleck may have a similar issue with Herman re: staff hires. He made a bad decision to hire Robb Smith at DC, and waited too long to fire him until midway through his second season after Minnesota gave up 42, 48, and 55 points in back-to-back-to-back games. It derailed what was otherwise a promising season for Minnesota, and they barely ended up making a bowl game at 6-6.

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

Fleck may have a similar issue with Herman re: staff hires. He made a bad decision to hire Robb Smith at DC, and waited too long to fire him until midway through his second season after Minnesota gave up 42, 48, and 55 points in back-to-back-to-back games. It derailed what was otherwise a promising season for Minnesota, and they barely ended up making a bowl game at 6-6.

Well, some coaches learn from their mistakes.  Ours don't, but some do.

• Like 1

Fleck is too much hype and smoke and mirrors -- seems like Herman 2.0 kinda guy.  Not a fan of Campbell either -- he's still 4-5yrs away from being a really good coach and the TEXAS job would eat his lunch.

The next hire needs to be more of an adult and less of the carnival act.  His focus should first be on OL/DL/LB development, toughness and accountabilty which have been the BIGGEST TEXAS PROBLEM for the last decade.  He needs to be a great coach, recruiter and staff manager.  He must motivate and develop players so that a lot more get drafted by the NFL.  His media appearances need to project confidence, team focus, and discipline while communicating high expectations to his team.

Herman has no idea how to create unity within his team, nor build good gameplans and make adjustments during a game. He seems like a guy that's book smart, but has terrible communication and people skills.  The current game rotations with players are a JOKE.  THE BEST PLAYERS NEED TO PLAY MORE.

Mensa's act appeared good at times at Houston, but unfortunately at TEXAS is nothing more than another example of "The Peter Principle".

Still trying to figure out who might fit the bill to replace Herman. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I'm an absolute no on PJ Fleck...

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, Chad said:

What about Brent Venables? He's familiar with the conference and a great recruiter. I'm honestly surprised nobody has given him a shot given how successful his defenses have been at Clemson.

Venables strikes me as a bud foster type.  just really doesn't want to be the head guy.

Disclaimer: none of the following was typed sober.

Dabo and Saban aren't coming so I'm not touching that.

Urban: He's the closest thing to a grand slam (ugh) hire. He can turn things around very quickly. But Belmont needs a plan ready for if he decides to take another 'medical retirement' before his contract ends. It's a legitimate concern with Meyer.

Cristobal: Went over him earlier. He's shown he can make good coordinator hires (unlike Herman) and he's something of a Saban 2.0 in the way he runs the program at Oregon. He'd also have no problem doing what it takes to succeed in recruiting (with bagmen and all that entails) regardless of bluehair pontificating.

Lane Kiffin: He runs Herman's offense, but better, and he's a very creative playcaller. The USC debacle no longer hangs over his head, the days of endless bubble screens are behind him.

Luke Fickell: Doing quite well for himself at Cincy. He turned things around there very quickly and, like Cristobal, makes good assistant hires. Marcus Freeman, in particular, was a terrific hire at defensive coordinator.

Sonny Dykes: Runs an offense suited to the Big 12. Knows CDC, there's a pre-existing relationship there. Knows the type of talent Texas puts out and how to recruit it well. Beat us twice while he was at Cal 😡

Dave Clawson: This guy is seriously underrated. He's coached at Richmond, Bowling Green, and Wake Forest. Three moribund programs that he resurrected. He's proven he can turn around struggling programs. Wake Forest won three straight bowl games with him after not making one for five straight years.

Bryan Harsin: He's coached here before. And he's a great offensive mind, always has been. Boise State has been on a downward trend since Peterson's recruits left and his took over though, which is worrying.

James Franklin: God no. Have you seen this guy on Gameday? His clock management makes Andy Reid look like Dr. Strange. Plus there are a lot of rumours re: shady behind-the-scenes stuff that was going on while he was at Vandy.

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Is Fleck actually better than Herman?  I guess his players like him.  Harsin would crush it here

Harsin is taking the petersen approach. Be a god. Make 1.5 to  2 a year. No media pressure. Profit. 

8 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Disclaimer: none of the following was typed sober.

Dabo and Saban aren't coming so I'm not touching that.

Urban: He's the closest thing to a grand slam (ugh) hire. He can turn things around very quickly. But Belmont needs a plan ready for if he decides to take another 'medical retirement' before his contract ends. It's a legitimate concern with Meyer.

Cristobal: Went over him earlier. He's shown he can make good coordinator hires (unlike Herman) and he's something of a Saban 2.0 in the way he runs the program at Oregon. He'd also have no problem doing what it takes to succeed in recruiting (with bagmen and all that entails) regardless of bluehair pontificating.

Lane Kiffin: He runs Herman's offense, but better, and he's a very creative playcaller. The USC debacle no longer hangs over his head, the days of endless bubble screens are behind him.

Luke Fickell: Doing quite well for himself at Cincy. He turned things around there very quickly and, like Cristobal, makes good assistant hires. Marcus Freeman, in particular, was a terrific hire at defensive coordinator.

Sonny Dykes: Runs an offense suited to the Big 12. Knows CDC, there's a pre-existing relationship there. Knows the type of talent Texas puts out and how to recruit it well. Beat us twice while he was at Cal 😡

Dave Clawson: This guy is seriously underrated. He's coached at Richmond, Bowling Green, and Wake Forest. Three moribund programs that he resurrected. He's proven he can turn around struggling programs. Wake Forest won three straight bowl games with him after not making one for five straight years.

Bryan Harsin: He's coached here before. And he's a great offensive mind, always has been. Boise State has been on a downward trend since Peterson's recruits left and his took over though, which is worrying.

James Franklin: God no. Have you seen this guy on Gameday? His clock management makes Andy Reid look like Dr. Strange. Plus there are a lot of rumours re: shady behind-the-scenes stuff that was going on while he was at Vandy.

I think the job would be too big for Dykes but I think there's a chance he could be good at Texas. He has SMU playing our best football in over 30 years.

If he even wanted to leave SMU. There's no reason it shouldn't be a very desirable job, we've just been so dogshit for so long. Easy recruiting, virtually no pressure, awesome location.

But Sonny is not super proven and I'm not sure how much of an upgrade over Herman he would be.

• Like 1

Surprised to see that Bill O'Brien has no votes at this point. Plenty of outstanding College Football coaches have fallen flat on their faces in the NFL (see Pete Carroll), returned to the College Game, and succeeded. I'd want Eric Bieniemy first, which I've clarified IS possible, but Bill O'Brien was no slouch at Penn St- that's why the Texans nabbed him. There's really no reson to think he'd fail y'all. I DO NOT think you guys are over-reacting by wanting Herman gone. I'd want the same. 

Harsin? You guys hated him when he was in Austin! 

Anyway, good game today. Took about ten years off my life expectancy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BoomerSooner2578 said:

Surprised to see that Bill O'Brien has no votes at this point. Plenty of outstanding College Football coaches have fallen flat on their faces in the NFL (see Pete Carroll), returned to the College Game, and succeeded. I'd want Eric Bieniemy first, which I've clarified IS possible, but Bill O'Brien was no slouch at Penn St- that's why the Texans nabbed him. There's really no reson to think he'd fail y'all. I DO NOT think you guys are over-reacting by wanting Herman gone. I'd want the same. 

Bienemu would be a great recruiter and offensive guy.   O’brien is just not very likable.  I’d take harsin though stoops made him eat shit here.  Maybe that was a Mack thing.  A lot of the disdain for Harsin is from the pro Mack/major guys

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BoomerSooner2578 said:

Comparing BoB to Pete Carroll is some funny shit. 

And BoB is maybe more full of himself and a worse in-game decision maker than Herman.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BoomerSooner2578 said:

I'm not sure why you say that about Harsin and his time in Texas. I think most of us liked Harsin quite a bit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BoomerSooner2578 said:

I haven't been paying attention to The Texans, I'll admit, but I do know he's been able to salvage the train wreck that was Penn St. in the past.  

He's not some bottom of the barrel guy - the reason Texans fans were sick of him was because we were just stuck in mediocrity and constantly shooting ourselves in the foot, and then he started making some awful GM moves. 

But he hasn't been around the college game since 2013 - I would question his ability to recruit - but he did seem to run a tight ship while in Houston. Just not on gamedays. And towards the end it seems like he had kind of fried himself out of being able to think straight.

The PSU job he had is perfect for him - somewhere he can go and instill some toughness and discipline and right the ship. He will catch on somewhere, but I'm thinking it will be in the NFL. He would not be a good hire for Texas - and I was serious when I said I would burn every piece of apparel I own if that is the direction Texas went in. He left a really shitty taste in the mouths of Texans fans. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I'm not sure why you say that about Harsin and his time in Texas. I think most of us liked Harsin quite a bit.

I read Shaggy during Harsin's time. Correct me if I'm wrong (because you're the UT fan, you're the inside guy, and I'm posting from an OUTSIDER'S perspective.) It did appear to me that the consensus was "get this inept fuckstick out of here. He's losing games for us."

3 minutes ago, BoomerSooner2578 said:

I read Shaggy during Harsin's time. Correct me if I'm wrong (because you're the UT fan, you're the inside guy, and I'm posting from an OUTSIDER'S perspective.) It did appear to me that the consensus was "get this inept fuckstick out of here. He's losing games for us."

Yeah, that couldn't be farther from the truth.

tenor.gif?itemid=4503901

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Sorry. I'm deep into the Bulleit tonight. Excuse my grammar issues. (And I'm not trolling opponent's message boards.)

I'm shithoused (Grey Goose). I'm not trying to troll, either. I'm surprised that BoB has no votes. Good game today. No ill will. I'm not going to argue with a +3508 poster about what your fanbase thinks about Harsin. that would be stupid. I thought you all were glad when he was gone. Obviously, I was wrong. 

Edited by BoomerSooner2578

1 minute ago, BoomerSooner2578 said:

I'm shithoused (Grey Goose). I'm not trying to troll, either. I'm surprised that BoB has no votes. Good game today. No ill will. 

No worries. BoB ain't blowing up anybody's skirt at this point, especially if Urban is a "free agent." I'm sure we'll wind up with David Cutcliffe or something but I'm hoping for something more.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Sorry. I'm deep into the Bulleit tonight. Excuse my grammar issues. (And I'm not trolling opponent's message boards.)

Bulleit was last weekend for me. Tried Tincup rye today... not as much of a fan.

I keep telling myself I'll drink something better if we win next week, but that week has yet to come...

• Like 1

My euphemism is “I’m drunk”, but y’all do y’all. 

Fleck reminds me of Jim Wacker, who also coached at Minnesota. 

Wacker was a master at Rah Rah, pump you up BS, similar to Fleck. 

And, of course, Wacker had great success- NAIA Championships at TX Lutheran and Division II National Championships at SWTSU. 

His shtick didn’t play as well at P5 schools - had initial success at TCU before revelations of payments to players, then washed out at Minnesota. 

Do not want. 

7 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I’m fully expecting Mack Brown to have a better season this year than any other candidates at schools we could reasonably poach from, which is going to put the cherry on top of 2020’s shit sundae.

If Cult Aggy can poach Jimbo from FSU, certianly UT can do better RE: poaching. You're the flagship school of The State of Texas, FFS.  

39 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

2. If Urban says no, Cristobal and Paul Chryst fit the profile of guys who have had success in slightly less renowned P5 programs for a while and who could probably succeed, albeit for different reasons and with different styles.

Chryst is a Wisconsin lifer. He’s an alum, and it’s his dream job.

Interesting discussion especially with me still being drunk and all. That said, it all depends on what UT is willing to do. From a Pac-12 perspective, Cristobal is a solid choice - IF you're willing to go all SEC. Oregon gives no fucks and has long since decided to go down the SEC path of "I might stop with the dirty shit, if you catch me." Petersen likely hung it up at UW because that's not how he works.  UW and UO, maybe Utah (USC when they're good) are the only schools in the Pac-12 that a Big 12 or SEC fan would recognize as a college football game day if they visited. The other schools have good history and traditions but just aren't that into it, or are smaller schools like WSU.

Petersen would be a great fit at UT if he wanted to coach again - UW like UT is a serious academic institution and Petersen's style, both coaching and recruiting, is perfect for that sort of school. I'm just not sure he wants to - he's happy at UW as an associate AD and he teaches leadership courses at UW's business school. If he would take the job at UT, I'd root for him and you forever. He's what college football should be about - top APR scores, very good football, and kids set up to succeed when they leave the program. I'm just not sure he's in to what CFB really requires to be at the very top of the heap.

If you take Cristobal, you will succeed, and I'll be happy that UO (you also can't spell "c_cks_cker" without "UO") has to find another coach. I'm just not sure - to your credit - that that's what UT wants.