If not Urban Meyer, who?

Beau Vine

If not Urban Myer, who?  

347 members have voted

1. 1. Suppose we can't/won't get Urban Meyer...who is your backup plan?

• Bryan Harsin
    • Chris Petersen
    • Bob Stoops
    • Mack Brown
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Steve Sarkisian
    • James Franklin
    • Bill O'Brien
    • Gus Mahlzan
    • Kyle Shanahan
    • would rather keep Herman if we can't get Meyer
    • Other, mention in reply
    • PJ Fleck
    • Matt Campbell
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Jesus Christ himself

4 hours ago, BoomerSooner2578 said:

Surprised to see that Bill O'Brien has no votes at this point. Plenty of outstanding College Football coaches have fallen flat on their faces in the NFL (see Pete Carroll), returned to the College Game, and succeeded. I'd want Eric Bieniemy first, which I've clarified IS possible, but Bill O'Brien was no slouch at Penn St- that's why the Texans nabbed him. There's really no reson to think he'd fail y'all. I DO NOT think you guys are over-reacting by wanting Herman gone. I'd want the same. 

Harsin? You guys hated him when he was in Austin! 

Anyway, good game today. Took about ten years off my life expectancy. 

No thanks Mrs O’Brien. Your husband is a fucking shitty franchise/program manager. He literally made the worst roster decisions I’ve ever seen and did them in succession. Tell your husband to get fucked along with Tom Herman.

• Hook 'Em 3

A lot of names on lists here are the speculative type of candidates we could afford to consider when we hired Strong. Yes, Mack had let things start to rot, but the program still had a prestige to it. We were still close enough to the Vince/Colt years that recruits had an expectation Texas would be great, so a coaching candidate didn't need to make a splash.

Fast forward now, it has been 11 years since we were even respectable. Current recruits were 6-7 when Colt went down against bama. Since then, "Texas is back" has been a running joke. That's the punchline to their teen and prime playing years leading up to college.

If your statement starts with "a good under the radar candidate is..." then you're already wrong. No under the radar candidate is good this time around. What will cost the program more, going all out for a big splash candidate now, or 1-2 more candidates and 4-8 more years of what we've had (by which point recruits won't have been alive the last time we were good).

I hope our ad and bmds see the stakes clearly this time around. If it's someone exciting but unproven, he's wrong. If it's someone who doesn't immediately invigorate recruiting, he's wrong. There are probably only 3-5 candidates out there who clearly fit the mold, and Urban is the most obvious and available, hence the focus on him which should and will continue until we've officially hired him or been turned down.

28 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

A lot of names on lists here are the speculative type of candidates we could afford to consider when we hired Strong. Yes, Mack had let things start to rot, but the program still had a prestige to it. We were still close enough to the Vince/Colt years that recruits had an expectation Texas would be great, so a coaching candidate didn't need to make a splash.

Fast forward now, it has been 11 years since we were even respectable. Current recruits were 6-7 when Colt went down against bama. Since then, "Texas is back" has been a running joke. That's the punchline to their teen and prime playing years leading up to college.

If your statement starts with "a good under the radar candidate is..." then you're already wrong. No under the radar candidate is good this time around. What will cost the program more, going all out for a big splash candidate now, or 1-2 more candidates and 4-8 more years of what we've had (by which point recruits won't have been alive the last time we were good).

I hope our ad and bmds see the stakes clearly this time around. If it's someone exciting but unproven, he's wrong. If it's someone who doesn't immediately invigorate recruiting, he's wrong. There are probably only 3-5 candidates out there who clearly fit the mold, and Urban is the most obvious and available, hence the focus on him which should and will continue until we've officially hired him or been turned down.

If it’s not Urban than we are hoping for a Pete Carroll situation at that point.

10 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Just a question for Surly... 

Do you believe Yurcich is a strong enough leader to take over as Interim Head Coach right now and finish the 2020 Season??

Yes.  Then you could still get Urban and he can recruit/start building his staff.  It's a lost year anyways.

If we got urban I really think we could go back to cherry picking recruits. I mean fuck he out recruited Texas when he was in shitty ass Ohio state. He’s proven. And I’m done with nice guys bring the proven winner in and clean this shit up and tart lining up his successor 

4 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I don't know if we'll fire Herman mid year due to the optics, but anyone arguing we shouldn't do it now due to the potential impact on the success of this season...well...that's just funny.

With early signing period firing after season is less likely moving forward imo especially considering most recruits are signing in December vs February

Has to be Urban. Great thing with him is you can throw insanely more money at him because you don't have to worry about any kind of buyout. He'll leave on his own when he gets a headache. Hopefully that doesn't happen for 5 years or more. Offer $10 million a year and load it up with incentives 

Edited by CfRhTxStBobcats

5 hours ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I don't know if we'll fire Herman mid year due to the optics, but anyone arguing we shouldn't do it now due to the potential impact on the success of this season...well...that's just funny.

Lol. We should fire him mid season BECAUSE of the optics.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Requirements:

* Won 10 games multiple years with atleast 2 P5 teams

* Won conference championship

* Coached a Heisman winner and O'Brien candidates

* Recruits Top 10 classes

* Been to multiple Bowl Alliance/BCS games

who do ya got?

You're talking Mack Brown aren't you?

• Like 1

If we’re just wishin/daydreaming, it would be Dabo for me. He was on my short list when we hired Cholly. 

Unfortunately, any coach with a top-10 team isn’t coming here. We may not want to admit it, but our reputation is tarnished. The University of Texas brand isn’t as big as it once was. 

Edited by Mossyhorn

This kinda stuff will be resurrected if Urban gets back into college coaching...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2809209-urban-meyer-leaves-another-program-disgraced-and-it-wont-be-his-last 

On a funny note -- TEXAS plays Michigan in a few years...

"The Wolverines and the Texas Longhorns, who are No. 3 in all-time wins, announced plans Wednesday for a future home-and-home series. The Longhorns will visit Ann Arbor in 2024, and Michigan will reciprocate with a trip to Austin in '27."

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

This kinda stuff will be resurrected if Urban gets back into college coaching...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2809209-urban-meyer-leaves-another-program-disgraced-and-it-wont-be-his-last 

On a funny note -- TEXAS plays Michigan in a few years...

"The Wolverines and the Texas Longhorns, who are No. 3 in all-time wins, announced plans Wednesday for a future home-and-home series. The Longhorns will visit Ann Arbor in 2024, and Michigan will reciprocate with a trip to Austin in '27."

Urban loses to 1 unranked team/year on average. We are only 4 games into the season and we've already lost to 2 unranked teams. Hmmmmm yeah I think I'll take Urban over what we've got