If not Urban Meyer, who?

Beau Vine

If not Urban Myer, who?  

347 members have voted

1. 1. Suppose we can't/won't get Urban Meyer...who is your backup plan?

• Bryan Harsin
    • Chris Petersen
    • Bob Stoops
    • Mack Brown
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Steve Sarkisian
    • James Franklin
    • Bill O'Brien
    • Gus Mahlzan
    • Kyle Shanahan
    • would rather keep Herman if we can't get Meyer
    • Other, mention in reply
    • PJ Fleck
    • Matt Campbell
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Jesus Christ himself

Moneywhip Ryan Day?  Before this year I would say not a chance, but the big 10 Covid screwup might have him interested in going elsewhere.......who am I kidding, why the fuck would he want to come here?
Ryan Day is the perfect match made in meathead heaven for Ohio State.

We legit don't even know if he's a good coach. He was handed the keys to a Ferrari.

5 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:
8 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

We legit don't even know if he's a good coach. He was handed the keys to a Ferrari.

Just ignore, he's aggy and quite possibly Figurelli.

Who me?  I’m not a fucking aggy!  If you’re talking about gmr548, apologize in advance for snapping back.  Nobody.....and I mean nobody.....calls me aggy! (Spoken in my best Marty McFly voice)

If we don't get Urban, I'll sell my soul and live with it and hope we go for Mario Cristobal from Oregon.  He understands the importance of facilities.  He'll cheat with the best of them when it comes to recruiting so I have no doubt we'll pull in 5 star talent.  Runs a solid S&C program.  Develops NFL picks.  And he would turn this OL around faster than anyone else.  His players would run through a wall for him.  Also, he has a hot wife.

Won't matter though, he's got Oregon on the up and no one can outbid Nike.  50 mil is chump change to them.

25 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Oooh, my first Ryan Day hater sighting. I wondered how long that would take. Gotta say it came sooner than I anticipated.  If he should manage to win a championship at tOSU then we'll really see the hatred flow from people who had no clue who he was just a few years ago. 

Fascinating. 

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Oooh, my first Ryan Day hater sighting. I wondered how long that would take. Gotta say it came sooner than I anticipated.  If he should manage to win a championship at tOSU then we'll really see the hatred flow from people who had no clue who he was just a few years ago. 

Fascinating. 

I hate how a rather large portion of Texas fans and etc have some stigma against hiring a coordinator 

1. We need to offer stupid money to Urban.  It’s the most obvious slam dunk hire imaginable.  It’s like if Coach K just happened to be unattached and we’re saying, “Are we sure he would do better than Shaka?  Oh, and I’ve also heard good things about the coach at Bumfuck State!”  
2. If Urban says no, Cristobal and Paul Chryst fit the profile of guys who have had success in slightly less renowned P5 programs for a while and who could probably succeed, albeit for different reasons and with different styles. Add Petersen if he wants to coach again.
3. Chris Klieman at Kansas State and Harsin would both be solid under the radar options.   I’ve just about had it with the typical Big 12 style of play, and the North Dakota State and Boise State styles are starting to look more appealing as we are in the midst of our 8th different variation of being a failed air raid team with soft defense and sloppy mistakes.  Klieman, like Snyder before him, is showing you can win a lot of games even with shit talent in this conference just by not playing soft or stupid.  
4. If we are going to hire a coordinator, it should at least be from the NFL.   There was a period when college coaches were more innovative than the NFL, but the NFL has really caught up and surpassed that in the last couple of years.   We all saw what Joe Brady did at LSU.  The one guy I wouldn’t hire is Bieniemy, though.  That guy was a clownshow his entire life as a player and coach until he latched on to Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes.  And if you don’t like Urban for the way he ran his program, you won’t like what you dig up about him during his time at Gary Barnett era Colorado.
5. Fleck is better than Herman.  He wouldn’t be my choice, but he’s an upgrade.
6. I’m fully expecting Mack Brown to have a better season this year than any other candidates at schools we could reasonably poach from, which is going to put the cherry on top of 2020’s shit sundae.

I live in Boise and just don’t care for Harsin. He’s fine for a MW coach, but Herman was a better hire than Harsin is today.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

If we don't get Urban, I'll sell my soul and live with it and hope we go for Mario Cristobal from Oregon.  He understands the importance of facilities.  He'll cheat with the best of them when it comes to recruiting so I have no doubt we'll pull in 5 star talent.  Runs a solid S&C program.  Develops NFL picks.  And he would turn this OL around faster than anyone else.  His players would run through a wall for him.  Also, he has a hot wife.

Won't matter though, he's got Oregon on the up and no one can outbid Nike.  50 mil is chump change to them.

James Franklin has a thing about coaches with hot wives.  He seems to be winning too...

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

?

I think Franklin made a comment about not hiring guys that didn’t marry hot women because he didn’t think they had the confidence to be great or some bullshit.  Cristobal is doing well, so maybe Franklin’s theory has weight?  Then again, Tom’s wife is hot and he sucks ass...

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Urban loses to 1 unranked team/year on average. We are only 4 games into the season and we've already lost to 2 unranked teams. Hmmmmm yeah I think I'll take Urban over what we've got

It really is hard to go undefeated, there’s a fair list of coaches in the modern era who have done it once.  That list includes Saban, Dabo, Carroll, Stoops, 3 different Bowdens, JJ, Switzer, and a bunch of others others.   Urban has done it twice and that’s pretty rare company in recent memory.  Royal 2x, Osborne 3x, Paterno 5x, Bryant 3x Hayes 2x., Wilkinson 3x, Only counting perfect seasons btw.  Petersen did it 2x at Boise so small asterisk  

Saban is considered arguably the goat, but I think that title should be reserved for Gil Dobie. He had 14 undefeated and 11 perfect seasons.  That included an 9 year tenure at Washington where he went 58-0-3.  That’s pretty incredible for any period, hell its the same timeframe aggy claims most of theirs   

The most perfect seasons by P5 teams are Michigan(15), Dome(13), OU(11), Bama(10),  UT, USC, Corn (9)... all the rest.

Side note: aggy has 3, tied with Toledo, Eastern Michigan, Western Michigan and a bunch of others but behind powerhouses Colorado School of the Mines and Case Western Reserve, yet they still think they belong in the blue blood conversation.  We think we are falling out of the club because of a horrible decade, they think they belong because of 3 good seasons in the past 2 centuries.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

I think Franklin made a comment about not hiring guys that didn’t marry hot women because he didn’t think they had the confidence to be great or some bullshit.  Cristobal is doing well, so maybe Franklin’s theory has weight?  Then again, Tom’s wife is hot and he sucks ass...

Read moneyball. I think scouts used to favor players with hot girlfriends. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

No love for the hottest young coaching candidate in the country - Billy Napier?

He's "beneath" Texas, but I believe Napier is going to be a star and is waiting on a big time job.  Some mention Matt Campbell and Napier just coached circles around him.  He had no interest in Arkansas or Miss St and the millions they offered him last year, which shows me he's smart already.  He will get an Auburn type job this season or next.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

I'm not thinking it's about confidence. I'm not a coach so maybe it doesn't apply. But I married a hot woman because, well I thought it was a damn fine idea to wake up next to a hot woman. I had experienced it previously in life, and found I enjoyed it. I would go with the logic, that (generally) a coach that has a hot wife would have the skills to be a good recruiter.

tJh87qxP_bigger.jpg        Chris Vannini     @ChrisVannini

13h

Billy Napier was once the hotshot young assistant, working under Dabo Swinney and Nick Saban. Now the Louisiana coach is a hot name again. But it wasn’t always a straight path. How Napier found his purpose and became the Next Big Thing  https://theathletic.com/2120029/2020/10/12/billy-napier-louisiana-lafayette-ragin-cajuns-coach-profile/

EkK4ZnxXgAAaNoh?format=jpg&name=large

Just providing this info for the thread...

15 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

13h

Billy Napier was once the hotshot young assistant, working under Dabo Swinney and Nick Saban. Now the Louisiana coach is a hot name again. But it wasn’t always a straight path. How Napier found his purpose and became the Next Big Thing  https://theathletic.com/2120029/2020/10/12/billy-napier-louisiana-lafayette-ragin-cajuns-coach-profile/

Which is fine, but a lot of people spoke glowingly about Tom and Charlie

• Like 3

Which is fine, but a lot of people spoke glowingly about Tom and Charlie
If every up and coming coach at a small program translated that succuss at P5 programs, we'd have a lot more top tier coaches. For every Saban, Dabo, Meyer, there's 10+ who pan out more like Sumlin, Herman, or Strong.

It's why I think we can't dip into the star on the rise well again. We need to go after someone who's already made the jump successfully.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

13h

article here:

14 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Fuck no. And he couldn’t score enough points here, anyway. 

This is how I would feel about Chris Petersen, too. Plus he's not a great recruiter. He did well enough in a down PAC, but he lost to much better teams in the Fiesta and Peach bowls. I just don't think any PAC coaches could work out here in our conference. 

How many of those names are even realistic? Kyle Shanahan isn't going to take a step down to coach college, and how well would he do when adding recruiting, dealing with alumni and all the other tasks required for a college coach. Stoops is going to leave his cushy life to coach at Texas, against OU sucks? I doubt it. Mack isn't coming back after being screwed over, and too old to give Texas the time needed to turn the program around. 

I think Kleiman would be better than Fleck or Campbell, all would be an upgrade over TH, but a lot of people think Fleck has some of the same issues as TH. No one is a home run hire except possibly Suburban, but there would need to be an internal rules consultant to make sure he doesn't get Texas on probation for the next 50 years. Don't know much about Napier, but looks like a good possibility.

On 10/10/2020 at 10:40 PM, ztejas said:

I actually like what Stoops would bring to the table. I just don't see it happening.

the really sad thing is in my opinion I don't think stoops would come to Texas.....not because he was at OU and "this is Texas", but because Texas is in such a shitty place right now it is not worth the risk to his pride and ego to take a chance of fucking up his legacy to try and fix all the shit wrong here

I think he would take a chance at about anywhere else on earth other than Texas if he wanted to get back into coaching because things are so fucked here and the expectations both in and outside of the program are so high....both in terms of winning and the attitude that Texas should win and if you cannot win there then there is something wrong with you

I have a strong suspicion Urban Meyer might feel the same way, but I think his ego is bigger and he is less worn out completely because he is not scared to bail on a program (or two) at or near the top and rest up and go for it again somewhere else....and I think he might be more greedy than bob.....plus he knows he will walk away again even if on top

Voted for Mario Cristobal. The guy brings a well oiled recruiting machine that will get us in on the game that Clemson, Bama, tOSU and Georgia are playing. Look at the studs he is pulling in to go play in the Pac 12 which is the worst P-5 conference by far. The guy knows how to coach up an offensive line which has been our achilles heel for more than a decade. Love the toughness and attitude that he has instilled in their program. In my opinion, he could easily become a younger and cheaper version of the Urban. He'd create a machine at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

Voted for Mario Cristobal. The guy brings a well oiled recruiting machine that will get us in on the game that Clemson, Bama, tOSU and Georgia are playing. Look at the studs he is pulling in to go play in the Pac 12 which is the worst P-5 conference by far. The guy knows how to coach up an offensive line which has been our achilles heel for more than a decade. Love the toughness and attitude that he has instilled in their program. In my opinion, he could easily become a younger and cheaper version of the Urban. He'd create a machine at Texas.
He's got a great profile, but why would he leave? We're not outbidding Phil, and he already has the machine set up there. I see no appeal in coming to fix our mess.

I am on The Lane Train at this point

I always liked the guy, he has the hot wife (ex) and hot young coed attitude thing

he makes $3.9 million at Ole' Miss vs $4.5 million for Christobal

I think he did a good job at Tennessee considering what he was working with, I think he did a much better than average job at USC considering what all was going on there and looking at where they are now.....he kicked ass at FAU and his players sure as fuck wanted to play hard for him on Saturday even if it was a loss

he has recruiting connections across the country, he is young and he would stay at Texas at least until the NFL called and who knows if he would leave for that or if they will call.....anyone else that remotely has the same resume might take "jumbo fisher" type money and I can't see Texas getting locked in like that nor should Texas get locked in like that

11 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:
18 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

He's got a great profile, but why would he leave? We're not outbidding Phil, and he already has the machine set up there. I see no appeal in coming to fix our mess.

Oregon has been a much better program than ours for a good while now. Still we have the attraction of not being in the Pac-12 where football is barely relevant on the national stage. That league showed their misplaced priorities when it comes to football and were basically shamed into having a fall season. For a Florida native that must not sit well. Coaching at Texas would be more like his experience playing and coaching in Florida. I am plagiarizing when I say this but it just means more here. To right the ship at Texas and all the benefits that would come with it when it comes to recruiting, salary, booster support, etc would be a challenge a guy with his profile would relish. He currently makes $2.6 million a year. His salary would easily double here. He played at the U and has been in the spotlight before. Texas would give it to him again.

Edited by Macklemore

4 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Oregon has been a much better program for ours for a while. Still we have the attraction of not being in the Pac-12 where football is barely relevant on the national stage. That league showed their misplaced priorities when it comes to football and were basically shamed into having a fall season. For a Florida native that must not sit well. Coaching at Texas would be more like his experience playing and coaching in Florida. I am plagiarizing when I say this but we care more about football in Texas.

Burton said we wouldn't mess with Cristobal because of Nike.

27 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

I am on The Lane Train at this point

I always liked the guy, he has the hot wife (ex) and hot young coed attitude thing

he makes $3.9 million at Ole' Miss vs $4.5 million for Christobal

I think he did a good job at Tennessee considering what he was working with, I think he did a much better than average job at USC considering what all was going on there and looking at where they are now.....he kicked ass at FAU and his players sure as fuck wanted to play hard for him on Saturday even if it was a loss

he has recruiting connections across the country, he is young and he would stay at Texas at least until the NFL called and who knows if he would leave for that or if they will call.....anyone else that remotely has the same resume might take "jumbo fisher" type money and I can't see Texas getting locked in like that nor should Texas get locked in like that

I only like the idea to see the shit-eating grin on his face as he goes for two on each scoring possession to drive up the 3rd quarter on a 77-13 type game against OU while Lincoln blows a gasket on the other side of the field.  That image is in my head, anyhow, after watching him roll the dice against Saban.  Kiffin is the kind of guy who would probably get his rocks off doing that to Gary Patterson more than Riley though.

Recruiting could be lit too, but our guy needs to be just a bit more greasy than the average SEC contingent.  Maybe he could bring in Petrino as a recruiting coordinator.

Edited by Gravy Train
  • Hook 'Em 1