If not Urban Meyer, who?

Beau Vine

If not Urban Myer, who?  

347 members have voted

1. 1. Suppose we can't/won't get Urban Meyer...who is your backup plan?

• Bryan Harsin
    • Chris Petersen
    • Bob Stoops
    • Mack Brown
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Steve Sarkisian
    • James Franklin
    • Bill O'Brien
    • Gus Mahlzan
    • Kyle Shanahan
    • would rather keep Herman if we can't get Meyer
    • Other, mention in reply
    • PJ Fleck
    • Matt Campbell
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Jesus Christ himself

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

Burton said we wouldn't mess with Cristobal because of Nike.

FSU stole Taggart from the Ducks and they are a Nike team and, Phil did not try to outbid FSU.  Phil could have bought Saban/Urban if he was willing to spend whatever it takes to win a championship.

2 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Voted for Mario Cristobal. The guy brings a well oiled recruiting machine that will get us in on the game that Clemson, Bama, tOSU and Georgia are playing. Look at the studs he is pulling in to go play in the Pac 12 which is the worst P-5 conference by far. The guy knows how to coach up an offensive line which has been our achilles heel for more than a decade. Love the toughness and attitude that he has instilled in their program. In my opinion, he could easily become a younger and cheaper version of the Urban. He'd create a machine at Texas.

Probably the dirtiest coach in CFB. Recruiting isn't the problem. Competent coaching has been the problem.

• Like 1

I have had Shanahan and Urban as my one and two.  I'm warming up to Joey Freshwater as my #3.  Dude, imo, has paid his dues.  Yes he pissed away Tenn and USC but he was way too young. OC at Bame then HC at no name in Florida now HC at Ole Miss.  Maybe it is time to give that poor bastard a second chance.    

3 hours ago, Hard Times said:

to make sure he doesn't get Texas on probation for the next 50 years.

Dude. It's Texas. We could have players running a cockfighting ring at an abandoned strip mall while filming snuff-murder films out of the back and the NCAA would take away one postseason game and 3 scholarships a year for 4 years. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

I have had Shanahan and Urban as my one and two.  I'm warming up to Joey Freshwater as my #3.  Dude, imo, has paid his dues.  Yes he pissed away Tenn and USC but he was way too young. OC at Bame then HC at no name in Florida now HC at Ole Miss.  Maybe it is time to give that poor bastard a second chance.    

Kiff is the one most like 90s Mack imo

51 minutes ago, 66BUFF said:

FSU stole Taggart from the Ducks and they are a Nike team and, Phil did not try to outbid FSU.  Phil could have bought Saban/Urban if he was willing to spend whatever it takes to win a championship.

Phil figured out Taggart was a mistake... did not fight hard to let him go.

• Like 1

What are the Franklin off-field rumors people have mentioned? Other than that, he seems like the most proven realistic option out there. Good recruiter and has outperformed at both P5 stops. Malzahn may be gettable and is pretty proven too. Next up for me in terms of gettable proven entities might be Gundy but not sure we'd ever go for that.

These guys are all promising but unproven - Campbell (never finished in the top 25), Fleck (one good year in P5), Tony Elliott (has never been a HC), Kiffin (hasn't won anywhere as HC), Harsin (hasn't even HC'd in the P5 and has been worse than Petersen at Boise). Not saying any of these names would end up bad, and I like the first 3, but all are riskier.

Shanahan, Dabo, Saban, Cristobal, Mullen aren't leaving their current jobs. Even Paul Chryst is a Wisco grad so probably wouldn't leave. I like Petersen but can't see him coming out of retirement to move out of the NW and be in a high-publicity role like this. Bieniemy is an NFL guy so unlikely to leave, plus he doesn't have any HC experience and his success may be more about Andy Reid (I'd always be nervous hiring an assistant from a great NFL HC - look at all of Belicheck's assistant's that became HCs).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

What are the Franklin off-field rumors people have mentioned? Other than that, he seems like the most proven realistic option out there. Good recruiter and has outperformed at both P5 stops. Malzahn may be gettable and is pretty proven too. Next up for me in terms of gettable proven entities might be Gundy but not sure we'd ever go for that.
These guys are all promising but unproven - Campbell (never finished in the top 25), Fleck (one good year in P5), Tony Elliott (has never been a HC), Kiffin (hasn't won anywhere as HC), Harsin (hasn't even HC'd in the P5 and has been worse than Petersen at Boise). Not saying any of these names would end up bad, and I like the first 3, but all are riskier.
Shanahan, Dabo, Saban, Cristobal, Mullen aren't leaving their current jobs. Even Paul Chryst is a Wisco grad so probably wouldn't leave. I like Petersen but can't see him coming out of retirement to move out of the NW and be in a high-publicity role like this. Bieniemy is an NFL guy so unlikely to leave, plus he doesn't have any HC experience and his success may be more about Andy Reid (I'd always be nervous hiring an assistant from a great NFL HC - look at all of Belicheck's assistant's that became HCs).

Thank you, this is a perfect summation of why Meyer is the only real homerun option in this search.

Everyone else either isn't coming, or has huge question marks on the resume at a time when you can't risk those unknowns.

It's either going to be Meyer, or I think interest from our fan base is going to wane considerably. 11 years is long enough to wait to start getting this back on track.

9 hours ago, 927 E. 41st said:

I'm not thinking it's about confidence. I'm not a coach so maybe it doesn't apply. But I married a hot woman because, well I thought it was a damn fine idea to wake up next to a hot woman. I had experienced it previously in life, and found I enjoyed it. I would go with the logic, that (generally) a coach that has a hot wife would have the skills to be a good recruiter.

When FSU was in the NC game, we went to the game.  At a tailgate, a lawyer from Tampa told me that he was close to Mack when they were students...frat bros, etc.  He tells me that if you think Mack is a good recruiter as a coach, you should have seen him (back in the day) recruiting pussy for himself. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Vanderbilt allegedly swept some sexual assault allegations against football players under the rug during Franklin's time there.

Regarding Malzhan - I went and looked up his record after a few people mentioned him as a possibility.  I was surprised at just how mediocre his record has been.  5 losses in 4 out of his 7 seasons at Auburn.  2-5 in bowl games.

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

5 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Regarding Malzhan - I went and looked up his record after a few people mentioned him as a possibility.  I was surprised at just how mediocre his record has been.  5 losses in 4 out of his 7 seasons at Auburn.  2-5 in bowl games.

Yeah, please Not Gus at TEXAS....

giphy.gif

Vanderbilt allegedly swept some sexual assault allegations against football players under the rug during Franklin's time there.

Agree, do not get the malzahn thing at all. He's got some interesting ideas on offense, but that has never translated to being a great head coach, imo.

I'm not in favor of the young unproven coaches for our search, but I favor them over the older and proven average coaches.
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

Kiff is the one most like 90s Mack imo

Franklin's record is much more like 90's Mack.

I'm a no on Kiffen and Malzahn.    The guys that don't have the P5 coaching experience worry me mainly because you have no idea what kind of connections they have for creating a staff.  I could be talked into Harsin.   I just can't see Elliott(not enough skins yet, Scott was the main guy)

So, here's my question about Meyer and "cheating."  Correct me if I'm wrong.  Meyer ran an off-field shitshow at UF not seen since the glory days of Wilkinson Hall, and he was so naive and/or self-serving that he thought he could reign in a psychopath like Hernandez by having him over for dinner to pray with his family.  BUT, he seemed to have learned his lesson, and I don't remember much off-field shit going down at OSU and him taking a zero-tolerance approach to the one big issue that I do remember reading about.  OTOH, he loaded up the coaching staff with his cronies there and covered up for a human shitstain of a coach because of who the shitstain's grandpa was.  He lost a power struggle with the Prez, and then claimed his brain was b-b-b-broke and took his ball and ran home.  Does he learn that lesson also when starting over at UT?

As for actual SEC-aggy-OU cheating, there's no history of it.  He's coached at four programs in four conferences and--to my knowledge--hasn't had one ncaa investigation much less any findings of wrongdoing.  Now, I don't think he's pristine any more than I think any major football program--UT included--is pristine.  I just see no track record of him being in the mold of Tarkanian or Switzer when it comes to ncaa rules.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

We only need Urban for 3-4 years to establish the program. I don't care if he's here for 5+ years.

Pay him $10M+/yr for him to come in and completely reorganize UT football and build a stable program that can just cycle through talent and coaching without a huge hiccup. Bring in assistants who will stick to that system and then make future HC hires based somewhat on compatibility with the system.

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

We only need Urban for 3-4 years to establish the program. I don't care if he's here for 5+ years.

Pay him $10M+/yr for him to come in and completely reorganize UT football and build a stable program that can just cycle through talent and coaching without a huge hiccup. Bring in assistants who will stick to that system and then make future HC hires based somewhat on compatibility with the system.

Do you have an example of this in college football?

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Schools hiring within the coaching tree happens all the time.

Petersen->Harsin is an example even within this thread.

Petersen was at Boise State for much longer than four years, plus he was their OC before that. Are there any schools where what you are proposing has worked?

Edited by David Dennison

22 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Easy peasy. 

22 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Petersen was at Boise State for much longer than four years, plus he was their OC before that. Are there any schools where what you are proposing has worked?

Urban's been a known quantity for more than 3-4 years and his coaching tree is well-rooted. Those people don't already need to be here; we can bring them in. And in those 3-4 years he can even start growing new ones.

There are a lot of gimmicks in coaching. Herman's bad food for poor competition in practice, that kind of crap (this is just one of dozen/hundreds of little issues, so don't obsess on the fact that I brought that one up). It's the kind of thing new guys do out of some sense of desperation to change the culture in ways that are ultimately pointless or even destructive because the preexisting culture wasn't working.

If you have someone who is already well-established set a tone and direction that everyone buys into, then those who know the process (and I'm not capitalizing it because I am not someone who thinks everyone should be Nick Saban) step in and keep it going without needing to focus on remodeling down to the studs every time. We have a general identity set up and new HCs operate within that general identity with freedom to make it their own.

Would it be great to have a healthy and engaged Urban Meyer for 10 years? Hell yes it would. I'd love to have to rename the stadium to include his name because he stays and wins 4 NCs.

But if we're looking realistically at what's in front of us, we know we're not getting that.

So let's say our option is 4 years of Urban, a guy we KNOW (as much as can be known) will actually build a better foundation than we've had in a decade+ or go for someone else because they can be kept for a decade... I'm taking the 4 years of Urban every time.

If Urban Meyer steps onto the 40 he's going to have HUGE buy-in immediately. Alumni and donors will want him to be happy. They will still be temperamental and entitled, but far less so with Urban. Who else can we say that about?

Mack Brown was phenomenally successful at UT overall. He built a stellar program. We need another program-builder, but this time one who doesn't wither on the vine and cling to the throne and have to be toppled in a way that is tremendously destructive to the program.

We hoped we were getting that with Strong, but he'd never actually done it. Urban has. He's an established and proven program-builder at the highest levels of college football.

It's the least-risky call. High floor, high ceiling.

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, utexas8 said:

Hopefully this doesn’t happen. Would hate for them to go after Meyer.

I don't see Meyer going to OU but I don't want to jinx it into existence. If he's looking for a swan-song I'm guessing it will be somewhere that is a nice place to live that recruits itself. OU is neither of those things.

25 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Urban's been a known quantity for more than 3-4 years and his coaching tree is well-rooted. Those people don't already need to be here; we can bring them in. And in those 3-4 years he can even start growing new ones.

There are a lot of gimmicks in coaching. Herman's bad food for poor competition in practice, that kind of crap (this is just one of dozen/hundreds of little issues, so don't obsess on the fact that I brought that one up). It's the kind of thing new guys do out of some sense of desperation to change the culture in ways that are ultimately pointless or even destructive because the preexisting culture wasn't working.

If you have someone who is already well-established set a tone and direction that everyone buys into, then those who know the process (and I'm not capitalizing it because I am not someone who thinks everyone should be Nick Saban) step in and keep it going without needing to focus on remodeling down to the studs every time. We have a general identity set up and new HCs operate within that general identity with freedom to make it their own.

Would it be great to have a healthy and engaged Urban Meyer for 10 years? Hell yes it would. I'd love to have to rename the stadium to include his name because he stays and wins 4 NCs.

But if we're looking realistically at what's in front of us, we know we're not getting that.

So let's say our option is 4 years of Urban, a guy we KNOW (as much as can be known) will actually build a better foundation than we've had in a decade+ or go for someone else because they can be kept for a decade... I'm taking the 4 years of Urban every time.

If Urban Meyer steps onto the 40 he's going to have HUGE buy-in immediately. Alumni and donors will want him to be happy. They will still be temperamental and entitled, but far less so with Urban. Who else can we say that about?

Mack Brown was phenomenally successful at UT overall. He built a stellar program. We need another program-builder, but this time one who doesn't wither on the vine and cling to the throne and have to be toppled in a way that is tremendously destructive to the program.

We hoped we were getting that with Strong, but he'd never actually done it. Urban has. He's an established and proven program-builder at the highest levels of college football.

It's the least-risky call. High floor, high ceiling.

I don't disagree with any of that.

I'm just having a hard time thinking of many places it's worked once the coach is gone.

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

If Urban Meyer steps onto the 40 he's going to have HUGE buy-in immediately.

If they don't buy-in Urban Meyer will either adjust their attitude or process them.  It's his was or the highway.  So we agree.

Edited by VABuckeye

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

I'm just having a hard time thinking of many places it's worked once the coach is gone.

Really? Miami, LSU (multiple times), OU (to a degree), tOSU, SMU (even though it fell apart quickly)

Shiiiiit... DKR to Akers was almost what we're talking about and that happened at Texas.

Edited by ztejas

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I don't see Meyer going to OU but I don't want to jinx it into existence. If he's looking for a swan-song I'm guessing it will be somewhere that is a nice place to live that recruits itself. OU is neither of those things.

I'll spill my 9.95 info after next Friday.  Bruce Cassidy is one of the biggest ohio state donors, sold excel mining for 900M. He's a buddy of mine and business partner.  He golfed with Urban the night before we had dinner 10 days ago.  Him and Urban talk multiple times a week.  I have dinner with Bruce in Miami again next Friday.  Whatever info I have will be directly from the horse's mouth.  This kind of shit is fun.  What emoji should I use?  

• Hook 'Em 5

14 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I'll spill my 9.95 info after next Friday.  Bruce Cassidy is one of the biggest ohio state donors, sold excel mining for 900M. He's a buddy of mine and business partner.  He golfed with Urban the night before we had dinner 10 days ago.  Him and Urban talk multiple times a week.  I have dinner with Bruce in Miami again next Friday.  Whatever info I have will be directly from the horse's mouth.  This kind of shit is fun.  What emoji should I use?  

Yeah but Hornfromdallas has a cousin who was sliding in one of CDC's daughter's DMs.

So, checkmate, OU.

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah but Hornfromdallas has a cousin who was sliding in one of CDC's daughter's DMs.

So, checkmate, OU.

Ha, to be fair, he probably cares a shitload more than I do.  I'm guessing a big part of the reason I get whatever info I get is because I truly don't give a shit.  And the meeting is about a few things that are much more important to me than college football, but it's a chance to get some juicy details so I'll get what I can.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Ha, to be fair, he probably cares a shitload more than I do.  I'm guessing a big part of the reason I get whatever info I get is because I truly don't give a shit.  And the meeting is about a few things that are much more important to me than college football, but it's a chance to get some juicy details so I'll get what I can.  

Of chief importance is finding out whether Urb is a mayo or mustard guy.

53 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Is there a Big Pimp Emoji?  Should be.