All Encompassing Whatcha Smoking With

Both Tacos

Let's see your smoker.

I've had several styles of smokers over the years from the cheap Walmart buy to competition trailer.

Currently I have 2 insulated vertical smokers. One from Lone Star Grillz and the other from Backyard Bombers. They both have the firebox in the bottom compartment to mix in chunks of wood on top of a bed of coals. Using the minion method seems to work best for stable temperatures.

I've had my fair share of tending to a firebox all night, but this is more set it up and walk away for hours. fd71a8b359f265c951fb28d937fbb4ec.jpg03ffa50d9b91366fd1d31203fe693e8d.jpg9fae8690fd63133d908563f300136aaa.jpgef5cb968911b4df313aebdbebcce45c6.jpga0abd9b0112fff02c9ca3dc84e3c349e.jpg

8 hours ago, next2naus said:

what's the issue with the size, what fits and doesn't fit in/on it?

The 36 is fine if you are just cooking for yourself or your household. As I have gotten into smoking I like trying a lot of different things at once so the 36 limits you.  The top shelf can hold 3 racks and the bottom can hold 3 butts and I would Iike more room. I don’t regret getting the 36 at all but Ben Lang said buy one size bigger than you think you need and he was right. 

Item Description

LSGS2448SD 24"x48" offset pipe smoker with a single door and counter weight
FB1/2 1/2'' fire box upgrade 
FOLDINGFRON... Charge for making table folding 
WHEELS8 8'' Wheel upgrade, 2 fixed casters and 2 swivel casters 
GASASSIST Gas assist/log lighter in firebox. 
TEMPPROBEHO... Temperature probe hole 2
TEMPGAUGE Temperature gauge - 2 in total 
BBV1.25 1 1/4'' brass ball valve drain
ASHPAN Slide out internal ash pan for easy clean out of fire box made from 1/4'' steel with 2 handles
GURUTA Automatic temperature control device fan port 1
PULLHANDLE pull handle  

Got my build with LSG lined up.  I've been debating single vs double door for months now and just need to pull the trigger. Ended up going with something that is very similar to kevwun's above. Gonna call them in AM to put down my deposit, and then count the days.  My grandchildren should be cooking on this thing one day. 

Edited by Anastasis

15 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Item Description

LSGS2448SD 24"x48" offset pipe smoker with a single door and counter weight
FB1/2 1/2'' fire box upgrade 
FOLDINGFRON... Charge for making table folding 
WHEELS8 8'' Wheel upgrade, 2 fixed casters and 2 swivel casters 
GASASSIST Gas assist/log lighter in firebox. 
TEMPPROBEHO... Temperature probe hole 2
TEMPGAUGE Temperature gauge - 2 in total 
BBV1.25 1 1/4'' brass ball valve drain
ASHPAN Slide out internal ash pan for easy clean out of fire box made from 1/4'' steel with 2 handles
GURUTA Automatic temperature control device fan port 1
PULLHANDLE pull handle  

Got my build with LSG lined up.  I've been debating single vs double door for months now and just need to pull the trigger. Ended up going with something that is very similar to kevwun's above. Gonna call them in AM to put down my deposit, and then count the days.  My grandchildren should be cooking on this thing one day. 

Boy-Scout-Image-277x300.jpg

GAS ASSIST?!?!?!

j/k, who doesn't use a Harbor Freight weed burner to light their pit.

• 2 months later...

I thought about getting a smoker from them pretty seriously because their prices are good and they are well-made.  I don't have any experience with reverse flow though and I couldn't talk myself in to it.

Edited by kevwun

If you are referring to my ets, I love it. It has two tuning plates that you move to get it even across the smoker or set one section up to run hotter. Helps when doing multiple types of meat. Only draw back is the fire box is a bit small for my liking. Seems like it goes through more wood and needs more tending than other larger pits. Maybe it's just me though. Have to tend it every 45 min-1 hr or the fire will go quick.

The quality is second to none and hard to beat for the price. 

If you are referring to my ets, I love it. It has two tuning plates that you move to get it even across the smoker or set one section up to run hotter. Helps when doing multiple types of meat. Only draw back is the fire box is a bit small for my liking. Seems like it goes through more wood and needs more tending than other larger pits. Maybe it's just me though. Have to tend it every 45 min-1 hr or the fire will go quick.
The quality is second to none and hard to beat for the price. 
Awesome paint job on the ETS. If your firebox isn't insulated, you should be dropping new logs into it about every 45 minutes. That's why when I went away from my trailer smoker, I got something I could not have to tend to it all the time.

I drool over these well built stick burners, but I keep talking myself out of them because I tend to like cooking overnight and sleeping, and I feel like tending a fire constantly would lead to my not using it as much.  I need a time share on one of these things. :)

For now, I'm very happy with my 22.5" WSM with the Cajun Bandit Door and my Pit Barrel Cooker.  I thought about selling the PBC when I got the WSM, but that little thing is great to have around for overflow when I'm cooking for larger groups and, frankly, does chicken and pork ribs better than I have been able to do on the WSM so far.  I'd post pictures, but I'm pretty sure everyone here knows what these ubiquitous smokers look like. 

Tending the fire is a pain. However, for me at least, I cannot get the same flavor or bark from charcoal and wood chunks that I get from logs. That alone makes it worth the extra babysitting. Plus it gives me an excuse to drink. A lot.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2018 at 10:06 AM, kevwun said:

Got my lonestar grillz 48x24 in December. I am a big fan.

244fc3fbfe9e463b4c87ef1b37ce6617.jpg

1fe1667cd9ad6afa34dd47c7574af7f7.jpg

I am looking at adding an offset smoker to my collection, and these grills really caught my eye.  How long have you had it and how many cooks have you done on it?

The Design and stack placement look ideal to me based on what I have read (Franklin's book) and the fit and finish from the pictures looks top notch.  What firebox do you have? I was thinking of upgrading to 1/2 so I can cook in colder weather.

I got it right before Christmas.  I have only gotten to use it 3 or 4 times.  I have the 1/2" firebox.  I would definitely get it or the insulated one.  I am going to be cooking 9 or 10 pork butts in a few weeks for friend who is using them for pulled pork sandwiches for a party.  Can't wait for that.  It will be the first time I've had it full of meat.

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

I got it right before Christmas.  I have only gotten to use it 3 or 4 times.  I have the 1/2" firebox.  I would definitely get it or the insulated one.  I am going to be cooking 9 or 10 pork butts in a few weeks for friend who is using them for pulled pork sandwiches for a party.  Can't wait for that.  It will be the first time I've had it full of meat.

Post pics when that goes down.

200-250 sandwiches?

I am looking at adding an offset smoker to my collection, and these grills really caught my eye.  How long have you had it and how many cooks have you done on it?

The Design and stack placement look ideal to me based on what I have read (Franklin's book) and the fit and finish from the pictures looks top notch.  What firebox do you have? I was thinking of upgrading to 1/2 so I can cook in colder weather.

You might like Klose and Gator too.