All Encompassing Whatcha Smoking With

Both Tacos

Haven’t read through this thread so please excuse me if it’s been discussed. Franklin pit.  Anyone seen one, used one or heard anything about them? They look gorgeous and the made in the USA is a bonus for me and part of the reason for the extravagant price tag. What say the surly? EEE28738-557D-4B59-9525-E744A6523B18.thumb.jpeg.72aff3c9b018b81ccc1f0be20bd3de53.jpeg578DB82C-056C-4F57-9EE1-90E0686C993A.thumb.jpeg.4a02c56ad273ab64951cb6aa6ce707a4.jpeg

They have a couple at the Ace Hardware by campus. They are gorgeous and the workmanship is second to none. I have no doubt that it cooks great. However, I still wouldn’t pay that much for it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

So…firebox on my big smoker is rusted out. Where in austin should I go for them to do the welding work to fix it?

If it’s just basic welding with a little fabrication might see if one of the high schools with a welding class would be interested.

On 11/19/2022 at 1:51 PM, Dontshootrude said:

After years of smoking on ceramic cookers I've finally jumped into the offset stick burner game.  After an 8 month wait my Workhorse 1975t was ready for pickup.  I'm learning a lot and having a lot of fun messing up, but this cooker is pretty incredible.  Even for a total n00b like me I'm already producing good food after my third fire.

1484232945_fnd3YXN-Imgur.thumb.jpg.a19ba914697c1930ace4c72bbb550923.jpg

1820538348_T7t79tr-Imgur.thumb.jpg.9c2cb1d25bf901288062875db201f479.jpg

799046328_3K9Q9E4-Imgur.thumb.jpg.8e5014b430dfc9b6aecb33991ec1112d.jpg

I’ve been toying with getting one of these.  How wide is the trailer?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/19/2022 at 5:28 PM, luke duke said:

They have a couple at the Ace Hardware by campus. They are gorgeous and the workmanship is second to none. I have no doubt that it cooks great. However, I still wouldn’t pay that much for it.

I do not like that there is no way to control air flow on the Franklin.  No damper at the firebox or on the stack.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 months later...

I am in the market for a cheap stick burner.  I was looking at the Old Country Pecos / Wrangler at Academy.  Then I saw that Char Griller has upped their game a bit with the Grand Champ Offset smoker at Home Depot.

Do any of you have any thoughts / opinions on either of these?  I know there is better to be had but the better ones are not in my budget.

14 minutes ago, TexasGary said:

I am in the market for a cheap stick burner.  I was looking at the Old Country Pecos / Wrangler at Academy.  Then I saw that Char Griller has upped their game a bit with the Grand Champ Offset smoker at Home Depot.

Do any of you have any thoughts / opinions on either of these?  I know there is better to be had but the better ones are not in my budget.

Where are you located?  I have a Tejas smoker that I refurbed, has sat out a bit exposed to the elements, and could benefit from some TLC with a grinder and a fresh coat of paint.  If you are interested in a project that might require a little elbow grease but will land you in a better place than that 1/8th steel nonsense, PM me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Where are you located?  I have a Tejas smoker that I refurbed, has sat out a bit exposed to the elements, and could benefit from some TLC with a grinder and a fresh coat of paint.  If you are interested in a project that might require a little elbow grease but will land you in a better place than that 1/8th steel nonsense, PM me. 

Plano

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Bought a new house. Comes equipped with this built-in bad boy. I've never smoked meat in my life, so once again, I am asking Shag/Surly for assistance. Give me your resources for learning how to use an offset smoker. 

image.png.e38240f206b2119b1a16acfd3db54e9a.png

• Hook 'Em 3

Jesus.  How long is that, and is that a pizza oven on the end or a cabinet chamber?  Is the cook chamber steel encompassed by the stone, or is the steel just the top lid and the cook chamber is stone?

That's probably going to take a lot of trial and error fire management given it's custom nature.

38 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

If you make a run at getting that thing dialed please post the effort and results.

Hard to tell a lot about how it may or may not perform as a smoker from that one pic.  Looks like the firebox is right under a portion of the cooking area?

That's right. It's got room for a whole hog but a) I have no use for that much meat, and b) the firebox is directly under some of grate. I'll share more pictures when we close at the end of the month. Should have some pretty good food dialed in by the time we win the Big 12.

https://amazingribs.com/ is a great resource with some questionable web design.

Chicken, sausage, and pork butts are easier than brisket or ribs, so I recommend starting there for the first couple of cooks. It's really hard to mess up a pork butt for pulled pork. You'll need a thermometer with multiple probes, some for ambient smoker temps, others for meat. Try out different woods to see which you like best. If you're in Texas, post oak, hickory, and mesquite will be the most available (maybe pecan too?). I live in the PNW so I also like to toss in a little apple or cherry wood for fun since I can find them for relatively cheaper. Given the time and effort it takes to run an offset smoker I like to make a lot of extra meat in each cook, then vacuum seal and freeze the leftovers.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, I was about to pull the trigger on a Recteq smoker but then ran across several articles about charcoal gravity smokers. People are raving about the flavor vs. pellet grills. There are patents held by Masterbuilt and Char Griller that keep others from introducing them.  Anyone been able to compare foods between the two?

Our biggest food smoke would be, in order: chicken, turkey, brisket, ribs

Also, for those with gravity charcoal smokers (South Austin, etc), are you still happy with it?

On 8/19/2023 at 11:52 AM, Dbeasy said:

So, I was about to pull the trigger on a Recteq smoker but then ran across several articles about charcoal gravity smokers. People are raving about the flavor vs. pellet grills. There are patents held by Masterbuilt and Char Griller that keep others from introducing them.  Anyone been able to compare foods between the two?

Our biggest food smoke would be, in order: chicken, turkey, brisket, ribs

Also, for those with gravity charcoal smokers (South Austin, etc), are you still happy with it?

I have come pretty close to pulling the trigger on one of the gravity fed smokers, but ultimately decided not to.  I've seen some videos showing how the seals in the charcoal chute don't last.  There also seems to be a hot spot right in the center where the fan blows the heat/smoke in.  

I took the advice of a long time poster here and got a WSM 22.  I've had a pellet smoker and liked the convenience, but the taste us just lacking.  In the WSM I get the best of both worlds.  They are about as close as set and forget as a pellet and the taste is worlds better.

• Hook 'Em 2

Real talk - how are we feeling about using our smokers in CenTex right now? I'd like to smoke a brisket, but I also like not burning down my entire neighborhood if a spark or something gets away from me. 

I stopped three weeks ago and did a bunch of WSM mods during the down time.

It’s raining right now in Wimberley, so I’m thinking about some fair style turkey legs this weekend. Savage.

19 hours ago, You don't know me said:

In the WSM I get the best of both worlds.  They are about as close as set and forget as a pellet and the taste is worlds better.

If you want true set and forget capability, just add a fan controller to the WSM.

• Hook 'Em 2

If you want true set and forget capability, just add a fan controller to the WSM.
Nothing but truth there. I did get a BBQ Guru for mine and it is fantastic. I did a couple of cooks before the Guru arrived and that was great, but the Guru is amazing. I will throw a brisket on around 7:00 PM and wrap in butcher paper around midnight. I go to bed without any concern about temps and sleep like a baby.
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 11/19/2022 at 11:51 AM, Dontshootrude said:

After years of smoking on ceramic cookers I've finally jumped into the offset stick burner game.  After an 8 month wait my Workhorse 1975t was ready for pickup.  I'm learning a lot and having a lot of fun messing up, but this cooker is pretty incredible.  Even for a total n00b like me I'm already producing good food after my third fire.

1484232945_fnd3YXN-Imgur.thumb.jpg.a19ba914697c1930ace4c72bbb550923.jpg

1820538348_T7t79tr-Imgur.thumb.jpg.9c2cb1d25bf901288062875db201f479.jpg

799046328_3K9Q9E4-Imgur.thumb.jpg.8e5014b430dfc9b6aecb33991ec1112d.jpg

Pos rep for the well cared for XJ. Doing the lords work. 

• Hook 'Em 1