Dedicated Stranger Things Series Thread

Baboontyme

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TommyGufano said:

I was a bit underwhelmed. Also did Eddie go like 30 yards on that multi-minute bike ride away from the bat things?? lol

I think he was just riding in a circle around the trailer park to buy as much time as possible.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Season 5 should be the last. I don’t need a “Saved by the Bell: The College Years” with this show

Are you implying "Saved by the Bell: The College Years" wasn't a good TV show?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Just finished episode 9.  I thought the last two were pretty great.

The Duffer brothers have said they're going to have to age them up a couple of years, so...

Spoiler

... how's that going to work, with the flaming post-apocalyptic hellscape already consuming Hawkins?  Are we going to return to see it's been two years of ever-growing global disaster erupting from the upside down in Hawkins, and our ragtag crew is like the Rebels on Hoth, cornered, outnumbered, outgunned, and in full retreat?  'Cause that could be cool...

On 7/2/2022 at 7:16 PM, utee94 said:

Just finished episode 9.  I thought the last two were pretty great.

The Duffer brothers have said they're going to have to age them up a couple of years, so...

Hide contents

... how's that going to work, with the flaming post-apocalyptic hellscape already consuming Hawkins?  Are we going to return to see it's been two years of ever-growing global disaster erupting from the upside down in Hawkins, and our ragtag crew is like the Rebels on Hoth, cornered, outnumbered, outgunned, and in full retreat?  'Cause that could be cool...

That’s when it transitions from red dawn to aliens. Already have reiser. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/2/2022 at 3:25 PM, Scary Stranger said:

"Guys.  Guys.  We can beat the mindflayer.... stay with me here.... if we all get naked and try to butt fuck each other... I mean, the mindflayer. Butt fuck the mindflayer"

It will be an homage to Stephen King's "It", and they'll all have to buttfuck Will to finally win for good. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

The actor played it himself apparently, too.

I noticed he was playing it correctly.

Edit:  oh well, still.

Quinn also revealed(opens in new tab) that heavy metal guitarist Aidan Fisher acted as his body double for the scene, ensuring that the fingering was believable to the more eagle-eyed viewers.

“I've been playing guitars since I was a kid, fortunately, but by no means have I kept it up the whole time,” he said. “I'm an actor, not a heavy metal guitarist. So I let this brilliant guitarist, Aidan, take care of the more complex fingering.”

Edited by Biff Tannen

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Expanding the cast and then separating everyone this season, was a bad choice imo.

Reveal hidden contents

I guess if Mike had given his rah rah speech a few seconds earlier then Max wouldn’t be in a coma. Good job Mike.  Eleven might need Mike but the narrative doesn’t.

The main highlight to me was adding more Murray to the season. He needs his own spin-off  series. Like better call Saul.

This. Too many characters and they put them in three very distant places. 

Episode 4 was a masterpiece. The rest of the season limped toward the inevitable end. 

The heart of the show is the original gang hanging out, going to school, and occasionally fighting monsters. The season was very action heavy. I almost wish the Duffer Bros had a smaller budget so there would be more dialogue. The best scene of the second half of the season was El and Mike hanging out in the pizza parlor. That could be the whole show and it would be great. 

They can’t seem to nail the guest characters. They either stick around too long or they’re the obvious sacrificial death at the end of the season. That said Murray and Argyle are really funny. 

I’m looking forward to Season 5, but hopefully we’re done with Hawkins Lab. Millie Brown can’t pull off a prepubescent girl anymore. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

This. Too many characters and they put them in three very distant places. 

Episode 4 was a masterpiece. The rest of the season limped toward the inevitable end. 

The heart of the show is the original gang hanging out, going to school, and occasionally fighting monsters. The season was very action heavy. I almost wish the Duffer Bros had a smaller budget so there would be more dialogue. The best scene of the second half of the season was El and Mike hanging out in the pizza parlor. That could be the whole show and it would be great. 

They can’t seem to nail the guest characters. They either stick around too long or they’re the obvious sacrificial death at the end of the season. That said Murray and Argyle are really funny. 

Feels like the writers don’t really know what to do with Dustin, Lucas, Jonathan, Will and Lucas’ sister. Sure they all had lines and tasks but they could have easily had sent those characters on vacation and would the story have really been different? Obviously Will is still a central figure that will matter next season.  Having both Jonathan and Steve as Nancy’s love interest means there is 1 too many.

I wouldn’t mind if Jaqen H’ghar (Russian guard) aka dmitri hangs around.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Feels like the writers don’t really know what to do with Dustin, Lucas, Jonathan, Will and Lucas’ sister. Sure they all had lines and tasks but they could have easily had sent those characters on vacation and would the story have really been different? Obviously Will is still a central figure that will matter next season.  Having both Jonathan and Steve as Nancy’s love interest means there is 1 too many.

I wouldn’t mind if Jaqen H’ghar (Russian guard) aka dmitri hangs around.

Caleb McLaughlin should be pissed with his role. I’ve almost forgotten he was one of the original D&D gang. 

I’ve never really liked Jonathan’s character. I don’t think he’s redeemable. 

Killing off Eddie was stupid af (it's been 3 days - fuck spoiler tags).  He's about 100x a stronger character than the California crew and could have carried a subplot by himself.  Instead, we have Byers clan + Mike who were basically relegated to being Eleven's chaffeur this season because they all suck as actors.  It's an unfortunate turn of events for the Duffer Brothers, who had no way of knowing back in 2015 that puberty would be so unkind to the Mike, Jonathan, and Will actors (I'm probably an army of one on this but I think a lot of the ire directed at Dustin is unjustified - much better actor & character than the other male "kids").

The Russia & hopper plotline was completely unnecessary - not sure why they just didn't let Hopper die at the end of season 3.  Max should have died as well to complete her character arc.

All that said, I thoroughly enjoyed this season and thought that the flashbacks to Hawkins Lab and the Henry/Vecna/One character were among the highlights of the series.  Music was as on point as always.

It'll be interesting to see how the characters have aged when the series concludes in...2024.

Edited by Message Board User

21 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Killing off Eddie was stupid af (it's been 3 days - fuck spoiler tags).  He's about 100x a stronger character than the California crew and could have carried a subplot by himself.  Instead, we have Byers clan + Mike who were basically relegated to being Eleven's chaffeur this season because they all suck as actors.  It's an unfortunate turn of events for the Duffer Brothers, who had no way of knowing back in 2015 that puberty would be so unkind to the Mike, Jonathan, and Will actors (I'm probably an army of one on this but I think a lot of the ire directed at Dustin is unjustified - much better actor & character than the other male "kids").

The Russia & hopper plotline was completely unnecessary - not sure why they just didn't let Hopper die at the end of season 3.  Max should have died as well to complete her character arc.

All that said, I thoroughly enjoyed this season and thought that the flashbacks to Hawkins Lab and the Henry/Vecna/One character were among the highlights of the series.  Music was as on point as always.

It'll be interesting to see how the characters have aged when the series concludes in...2024.

Oh for fucks sake.

• Hook 'Em 1

Expanding the cast and then separating everyone this season, was a bad choice imo.
Spoiler

I guess if Mike had given his rah rah speech a few seconds earlier then Max wouldn’t be in a coma. Good job Mike.  Eleven might need Mike but the narrative doesn’t.

The main highlight to me was adding more Murray to the season. He needs his own spin-off  series. Like better call Saul.

Duffers have a spin off idea ready but have said they want to wait until after season 5 is done before really getting into it.

26 minutes ago, APMP said:
9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:
Spoiler
  Reveal hidden contents

Duffers have a spin off idea ready but have said they want to wait until after season 5 is done before really getting into it.

Steve-Robin college buddy comedy. The premise: who can bang more chicks?

Wish it into existence. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

There are way too many characters. You can keep adding, sure, but you have to kill off some too. The entire Russian plot was actually some of the best acted, most fun, and action packed, but it was entirely pointless to the overall story. Hopper should have died in S3. 

11, Jonathan, and Joyce could have visited Hawkins for Spring Break. Government could have kidnapped 11 in Hawkins. The entire story could have remained relatively the same, just cut out the Russian plot and the California plot. 

15 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I noticed he was playing it correctly.

Edit:  oh well, still.

“I'm an actor, not a heavy metal guitarist. So I let this brilliant guitarist, Aidan, take care of the more complex fingering.”

Awkward Krieger GIF by Archer

13 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

She’s playing like what 11-12 years old in the Hawkins Lab flashbacks? 

Artistic license of 15? year old her reliving those memories from when she was a child. They pretty much fleshed out her time there so I can't imagine we'll need more flashbacks anyway 

I’ve already forgotten exactly, but in the end they tied russia to the main plot in that the final herding and slaying in Russia had a ripple effect into the upside down and it’s creatures because of the hive mind?  And the effect was very timely?  That’s a little thin. 

at the end at the cabin I was wondering when someone was going to ask where’s mom. 

still wondering if they will get into what created the upside down. It got touched on briefly with the journal entry date and  gun scene. Why is it there, where did the creatures come from, how was el able to access it in the first place?

11 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’ve already forgotten exactly, but in the end they tied russia to the main plot in that the final herding and slaying in Russia had a ripple effect into the upside down and it’s creatures because of the hive mind?  And the effect was very timely?  That’s a little thin. 

still wondering if they will get into what created the upside down. It got touched on briefly with the journal entry date and  gun scene. Why is it there, where did the creatures come from, how was el able to access it in the first place?

To the first point, if Hopper and Murrary's demidog slaying had helped really kill One than, yeah, it would have made sense.  

To the second, the upside down is just another dimension.   The demidogs existed there from the get go.   One saw them when he first arrived there.   He created the mind flayer from the particles.  One pretty much spelled all that out in one of his lines.

23 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Another dimension doesn’t make sense to me if it’s a copy of at least Hawkins (I think that’s all we’ve seen) on one particular day. Either it was created on that day, or it stopped mirroring regular hawkins on that day for some reason. 

They've always been pretty loose with the Upside Down being a mirror dimension of the real world. It's exactly the same when it's convenient and completely different when it's not.

29 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Another dimension doesn’t make sense to me if it’s a copy of at least Hawkins (I think that’s all we’ve seen) on one particular day. Either it was created on that day, or it stopped mirroring regular hawkins on that day for some reason. 

They’re not writing a treatise on inter dimensional quantum physics. It’s a TV show with monsters. You’re going to have to give them a little rope on this one. 

• Hook 'Em 3