Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

2 hours ago, softlynow said:

It doesn’t offend me in the least that people decide not to use the right words to express themselves. I know what you’re saying, even though you’re saying it poorly. 

Well, thank goodness, you understand.  And I think most of us understand what you're trying to express, even if you're trying not to say it at all....

Moving on.  Why does his head look so big?

Edited by Patrick Bateman

I'd like to say my incessant, deliberately annoying, (at least) decade-long public lambasting of conservatives on Facebook played a pivotal role, but more likely my niece starting school at Clear Creek ISD tomorrow with no mask mandate was the catalyst in getting my mega-church attending, gay marriage opposing, Trump talking points-parroting sister to publicly post "And yes. Fuck Abbot." (sic)

Keep chipping away at that conservative friend or family member. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

i know of 3 houston families, all hit with covid. all three families - one of their kids was exposed to other kids and brought it home. hope it calms down some BEFORE school starts. these are all 3 very upper middle class families. i can't imagine a poor family going through this hell

god save us all 

17 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

So do districts that want to continue mandating masks have any recourse at this point or can they truly not require masks?

Also what about counties that have mandated masks? Sorry not a lawyer 

It would appear that there is no recourse for those counties short of winning in the district court on a final judgment.  That's still possible.  Then it will proceed to the courts of appeal, and then, ultimately to the Texas Supreme Court, where it seems but is not 100% certain that mask mandates of any stripe will be overturned.

The Supreme Court's decision only affects Dallas and Bexar counties, directly, I believe.  But I think most district court judges in other counties that choose to mandate masks are going to be unwilling to temporarily enjoin the anti-mask mandate based on the Supreme Court decision.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

The Supreme Court's decision only affects Dallas and Bexar counties, directly, I believe.  But I think most district court judges in other counties that choose to mandate masks are going to be unwilling to temporarily enjoin the anti-mask mandate based on the Supreme Court decision.

In other words, unlike our governor, there are Democrat district judges who exercise intellectual honesty on occasion. 

On 8/15/2021 at 12:00 PM, hornmpa96 said:

How do we get a MAGA third party candidate to run?

Thinking about it some more - you need a decent amount of burner accounts, and you need to hop on the social media platforms of Huffines and West, and you need to be posting stuff like "Abbott supporters think that if he wins, you will kneel before him and support him, but I think you have the guts to run against him as an independent, because if that liberal Greg Abbot wins the primary, it's only because the GOP has turned its back on Trump and MAGA and America!"

Vary the phrase a bit, but you get the drift.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

I've said this before about Cruz and Bill Barr, and I will say it now about Abbott... These guys know better. They have legit, top 1% legal resumes. They know what they are doing/saying isn't how the law of the land works, but they say it/do it anyway because 1) it rallies their base, and 2) by the time the legal realities play themselves out in court, every layperson who gets their news from only headlines has since moved on and doesn't care about the end result.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

I've said this before about Cruz and Bill Barr, and I will say it now about Abbott... These guys know better. They have legit, top 1% legal resumes. They know what they are doing/saying isn't how the law of the land works, but they say it/do it anyway because 1) it rallies their base, and 2) by the time the legal realities play themselves out in court, every layperson who gets their news from only headlines has since moved on and doesn't care about the end result.

Caveat: except it IS how the law of the land works....when you have a captive, sycophant high court (SCOTX).  This is actually a much bigger concern.  One-party rule for any extended period of time can lead to some crappy court approaches.  But what we're seeing here is a court that's functionally abandoning even the need to APPEAR to be non-partisan and bound by the law.

Abbott: "the law lets me do whatever I want."  SCOTX: "yep, that's right.  Nah, we didn't bother to read any of the law or statutes, we just remembered Abbott is an (R), so he wins."  And I'm exaggerating only slightly.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 5

15 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

i know of 3 houston families, all hit with covid. all three families - one of their kids was exposed to other kids and brought it home. hope it calms down some BEFORE school starts. these are all 3 very upper middle class families. i can't imagine a poor family going through this hell

god save us all 

Had a dad in the neighborhood in Houston die from it recently.

A democratic judge on the 1st Court of Appeals just stayed a Fort Bend County TRO against GA-38 based on the Texas Supreme Court's stay orders in Bexar and Dallas.  It at least shows we're not 100% partisan.  She may not like or agree with the stay order from the SC but she's bound to follow it.

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Was he vaccinated? I mean, it is sad for those families, but if they refused to be vaccinated, welp…

Wealth doesn’t always equal intelligence or common sense.

not vaccinated from what i heard. 

Edited by tx 3 putt

Just now, Captainant said:

per CBSAustin, he's in good health and has no symptoms but none the less receiving Regeneron's monoclonal antibody treatment. Doesn't exactly seem like a good use of that extremely limited medicine.

Well, when you realize that his life is WAY more important than yours, it makes sense.  Our Hero class is all more important than we are.  Especially when they are GQP.

per CBSAustin, he's in good health and has no symptoms but none the less receiving Regeneron's monoclonal antibody treatment. Doesn't exactly seem like a good use of that extremely limited medicine.

This.

I would imagine there are many others who should be taking priority for this over (checks notes) an asymptomatic, fully-vaccinated person.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1