Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

On 11/13/2021 at 8:31 PM, atomheartbevo said:

We can't blame him for the UT loss.  

Why not?  Have we won since this?  Fucker cursed DKR.  Now we need a live rooster, etc, etc...

On 10/22/2021 at 10:22 AM, Jive Turkey said:

This is our Governor. What a clown.

Of course, I just learned yesterday that Let’s go Brandon is MAGA for Fuck Joe Biden. 

No you see, as the bad actors rush the stage from the middle to the front...the good actors up front who are now allowed to open carry thanks to Abbott then fire upon those middle-crowd folks rushing the stage.  But in the haze of that gunfire, the middle-of-the-crowd folks then turn and run back towards the back of the crowd to avoid the gunfire...thus crushing the good actors who hung in the back of the crowd.  Those formerly-the-back-of-the crowd good actors now rush to the sides where other good actors open carrying can fire upon them before they themselves get crushed up against the sides.  In the end, the original side of the crowd good actors are now identifying the bodies at the morgue.  

9 people died and that's a damn tragedy.  Task Force, lawsuits, executive orders, emergency funding, logistics reviews, state resources en masse?  All immediate. 

25+ and counting mass shootings in Texas.  Prayer circles abound.  What else can we do?  

Can you imagine if you had driven your family cross-country, all the way to AstroWorld, and found out when you got there...that it was closed?  

Edited by Lobo

15 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Can you imagine if you had driven your family cross-country, all the way to AstroWorld, and found out when you got there...that it was closed?  

One summer as a kid, our mom was going to drop us off at Astroworld, didn't call ahead, they were closed when we got there, she turned around, drove some more, we got dropped off at Sharpstown Mall for almost 9 hours.  That was an awesome day.  And non cell phones and no way for her to contact us short of showing up and looking for us.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

So why should the Governor of Texas care enough about this case to tweet in celebration of the verdict, other than for purely partisan and pandering reasons?  Does he have an interest in setting a precedent for Texans taking their guns and inserting themselves into volatile situations with the ability to shoot others in self-defense? 

I agree with the result, but the situation was fucked all the way around from the moment this kid took a gun to a riot to play cop/medic/property protector without any kind of law enforcement credentials or training.  Why celebrate that?

But at least we get to watch Huffines somehow use the verdict to further troll Abbott.   

• Rage+1 1

Governor Abbott guarantees the lights will stay on.

Clueless Movie Aww GIF by filmeditor

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas-politics/gov-greg-abbott-on-texas-power-grid-i-can-guarantee-the-lights-will-stay-on/

“I can guarantee the lights will stay on” in Texas this winter. Governor Greg Abbott making the promise to a local station in Austin, after he was asked for his thoughts on the power grid following a devastating winter storm back in February.

Governor Abbott pointing to almost a dozen laws he signed that he says makes the power grid more effective. The Governor asserting that he has personally talked to the Natural Gas Pipeline Transmitters and they are conducting winterization that most people do not know about. He also said the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) is taking steps to be proactive instead of reactive.

“I have talked to some of the natural gas pipeline transmitters, and they’ve also have been doing winterization that most people don’t know about. Most importantly is the approach ERCOT has taken this year, unlike last year. Last year they were reactive, and waited until a crisis mode before they summoned more power, more energy, now the way ERCOT works, is they work days in advance in summoning that power to make sure they will have enough power to keep the lights on.”

Reaction Surprised GIF

• Haha 1

I wouldn't be surprised if Abbott actually does some of the things he said he has. Another electricity disaster in an election year like the one Texas suffered this year would really piss a lot of voters off. You can fuck with a lot of shit but you start seeing the power go out and make fat white people uncomfortable two years in a row ... that's going to hurt.

7 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I can't tell how many times I've taken the Pretoria, South Africa flight to Houston which stops over in Mexico City.  And just gotten off the plane for no reason, and walked the rest of the way to Texas.  The amount of people illegally entering the United States via Mexico's border with Texas, who are from South Africa, is just staggering.  It's enough to fill several wide-body commercial jets.  And they're all carrying Covid and AIDS.  

These fucks truly fling whatever shit they can think of against the wall, knowing that they might very well stumble upon the next CRT.  

"I personally believe that US Americans are unable to do so because some, like Greg Abbott, don't have maps such as our education in South Africa...Biden and open borders...such as."  Sounds good.  Tweet that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You must be new to this timeline. You see, "conservatives" are very, very persecuted and oppressed. You should be able to use a private business's platform they are providing, with the terms you agree to, and then violate those terms by amplifying Neo-nazi or other violent rhetoric. It's the 'Murican way. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Shouldn't private social media companies be able to ban anybody they want to for any reason they see fit? 

Yes, just like private employers should be able to require masks and vaccines as they see fit.

Quite a 180 turn by the Republican Party on its views about regulating private businesses.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Hanrahan said:

Judge Pitman didn't think much of Abbott's anti-Twitter law.  Legal eagles or anyone with a basic understanding of the first amendment knew this thing was DOA but the order leaves no doubt.

https://netchoice.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/51.-ORDER.pdf

Abbott:  "Another liberal activist judge.  And he's GAY!!!!"

What I love is that while the statute would ostensibly allow the removal of speech that calls for unlawful action ("murder immamac!  He's a bearded dipshit aggy and must die!").....it would be so easy to circumvent as to be meaningless.

Kind of like the old bit with the coach and basketball ref -- "would you toss me out if I told you what a shitty job you were doing?"  Yes.  "But you won't toss me out for what I think, right?"  Right.  "Fine.  I think you suck."

So, all you'd have to say is "I think that the law should be changed to allow the killing of bearded dipshit aggys.  I strongly advocate for such a legislative change.  That way, we can kill immamac, and it would be legal."

It's just pussy-ass snowflake dumbfuckery of the highest order.  Never has any group been more SUPER-DUPER MANLY, WE CARRY GUNS WHEREVER WE GO AND HAVE PUNISHER STICKERS ON OUR TRUCKS! and more persecuted and victimized than the American MAGA conservative.  Walking contradictions, I tell ya.

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

What I love is that while the statute would ostensibly allow the removal of speech that calls for unlawful action ("murder immamac!  He's a bearded dipshit aggy and must die!").....it would be so easy to circumvent as to be meaningless.

Kind of like the old bit with the coach and basketball ref -- "would you toss me out if I told you what a shitty job you were doing?"  Yes.  "But you won't toss me out for what I think, right?"  Right.  "Fine.  I think you suck."

So, all you'd have to say is "I think that the law should be changed to allow the killing of bearded dipshit aggys.  I strongly advocate for such a legislative change.  That way, we can kill immamac, and it would be legal."

It's just pussy-ass snowflake dumbfuckery of the highest order.  Never has any group been more SUPER-DUPER MANLY, WE CARRY GUNS WHEREVER WE GO AND HAVE PUNISHER STICKERS ON OUR TRUCKS! and more persecuted and victimized than the American MAGA conservative.  Walking contradictions, I tell ya.

This.

And one of the more remarkable things about this statue, as discussed in Pitman's order, is the legislative history.  The dumbass Republicans didn't even try to hide the fact that the motive for this legislation was to prevent social media companies from picking on the conservatives, which just underscores the editorial judgment exercised by these companies, which in turn prohibits the government from compelling them to publish other viewpoints.  And it shows the content-based and political motivations of this legislation. 

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

51 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Hold on a second. 

Immamac is aggy? 

5 hours ago, Hanrahan said:

Judge Pitman didn't think much of Abbott's anti-Twitter law.  Legal eagles or anyone with a basic understanding of the first amendment knew this thing was DOA but the order leaves no doubt.

51 minutes ago, South Austin said:

This.

And one of the more remarkable things about this statue, as discussed in Pitman's order, is the legislative history.  The dumbass Republicans didn't even try to hide the fact that the motive for this legislation was to prevent social media companies from picking on the conservatives, which just underscores the editorial judgment exercised by these companies, which in turn prohibits the government from compelling them to publish other viewpoints.  And it shows the content-based and political motivations of this legislation. 

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Republicans in Texas should be insulted that Abbott and the lege thought they were fucking stupid enough to not have a simple grasp on the Constitution.

But plenty of Republicans in Texas are fucking stupid enough to have bought into this, hook, line, and sinker.

Abbott signed this knowing that it not only violates the 1st Amendment (which Republicans were trying to falsely claim the social media companies were doing), but that it was written to exclude "conservative" social media platforms:

The law, signed by Gov. Greg Abbott on Sept. 9, would ban platforms with more than 50 million monthly users in the U.S. from removing a user over a “viewpoint” and require them to publicly report information about content removal and account suspensions. It was set to take effect Dec. 2.

That leaves out all of the "conservative" social media platforms.

But it also means that Abbott, etc. know those platforms suck.

• 2 weeks later...

He really does make Rick Perry look like Mensa material.

Which one barely graduated with a degree in animal science and which one has a degree from UT and as well as a law degree?

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas-politics/gov-abbott-refuses-to-enforce-federal-covid-19-vaccine-mandate-for-national-guard-in-texas/

In a letter to the United States Department of Defense, Gov. Greg Abbott drew a hard line when it comes to the federal COVID-19 vaccine mandate for members of the National Guard.

“As Governor of Texas, I am the commander-in-chief of this State’s militia,” Abbott started the letter to Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin. He referred to his executive order which explicitly bans government agencies, including the Texas National Guard and Texas State Guard, from mandating COVID-19 vaccines. 

“If unvaccinated guardsmen suffer any adverse consequences within the State of Texas, they will
have only President Biden and his Administration to blame,” Abbott wrote. 

The letter noted the mandate would not be enforced, regardless of the National Guard stating it could pull federal pay from members of the guard. The Air Force has threatened to discharge unvaccinated servicemembers.

“This willingness to hollow out the National Guard is unconscionable in the face of growing global threats and a border crisis created by the Biden Administration,” Abbott said.

Dumb dumb fucking Republicans who have never served in the military and don't know that service members go through a battery of shots/vaccines when they join.

Fucking dumb.

But gotta play to that Qanon crowd.

• Like 1

And by the way, when you are going through basic training, at least when I went through, they don't really tell you what they are giving you shots for.  We were asked a few questions (allergic to penicillin, etc.) and then given a bunch of shots and felt like shit for a few days.

And none of us were pussies about it.

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And by the way, when you are going through basic training, at least when I went through, they don't really tell you what they are giving you shots for.  We were asked a few questions (allergic to penicillin, etc.) and then given a bunch of shots and felt like shit for a few days.

it's that new 'woke' army we keep hearing about 🙄

15 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I don't recall ever being explicitly told that soldiers don't have the same rights as civilians, but that's always been my general impression.  Take vaccines -- it makes complete sense that it runs counter to the greater good to have a bunch of unvaccinated guys in the same barracks and foxholes as those who are vaccinated.  I don't see "choice" as coming into play.  You signed up (or got drafted), you lost your right to make that choice.

Am I far off?

Yeah, I would think that would end with a Dishonorable Discharge.  But maybe they don't want to issue that many in such a short period of time.  Maybe some new blanket term for medical leave?

Speaking of Abbott.  I got a +1 for Abbott on January 9th if any of you fuckers wanna come with me.  It's in Lockhart at Smitty's BBQ with beer.  So yeah, I'm going for that reason alone.  Plus, I wanna hear what he has to say about the one year anniversary of the Insurrection.  If you drive, I'll promise to get hammered enough to ask him about it with no filter.  And no, I didn't donate to him.  My cousin sent me two comped tickets.  I love Smitty's but not really worth the drive.  But I saw the date and thought, "incredibly topical time to hear from him given 1/6 to 1/9"