Abbott being Abbott

Mo Horn

9 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

The argument for saving Rural hospitals in Texas by expanding Medicaid is pretty easy. 24 are gone since Obamacare.

Do you want a funeral or picked apart by buzzards? 52% of Texans like the idea of buzzards though

I'm willing to sacrifice the people dependent on those rural hospitals (given they represent a good chunk of that 52% voting against their own interests because of FAmIlY VAlUES!1!!) for the good of the state ... #TeamBuzzard

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Gap03 said:

I'm willing to sacrifice the people dependent on those rural hospitals (given they represent a good chunk of that 52% voting against their own interests because of FAmIlY VAlUES!1!!) for the good of the state ... #TeamBuzzard

Edited my original post, and team Buzzard might be what they should get. Driving 2 hours for care is shitty and should be an easy argument for anyone, including all the Republican states who expanded to make.

• The upswing in Texas closures in the last decade is primarily driven by $50 million a year in Medicare cuts to Texas rural hospitals starting in 2013 (sequestration, loss of outpatient hold harmless, ACA penalties) as well as a $80+ million a year underpayment by Texas Medicaid.
  • The closures are taking an economic toll on Texas as a rural hospital closure – on average – costs 170 jobs and an annual payroll of $22 million.
  • Closures have a ripple effect in the community reducing sales tax revenue to local government, reducing school student numbers driving down state payments to the local school, and hurting local businesses across the community.
  • Deaths have occurred the result of closures - the most notable being an 18-month-old infant choking on a grape in Center, Texas who died on August 12, 2013 days after the hospital closed and there wasn’t enough time to get to the nearest open hospital.
  • https://www.torchnet.org/advocacy--rural-hospital-closure.html

3 hours ago, Cement said:

This is the chance to TURN TEXAS BLUE so that we can outlaw fossil fuels, pass infanticide oops I mean abortion on demand, ensure the border is open (well actually Bidens already done that so mission accomplished), tax the shit out of everyone, let the homeless shit anywhere they want, decriminalize shoplifting, and teach 6 year olds how to sex after allowing them to go through taxpayer funded gender re-assignment surgery.

This is horribad trolling. It’s just straw man bullshit. My failure is believing people are smart enough to know no one is advocating for any of these policies, and can see this as pure bad faith garbage.

The “your mom” joke and outright homophobia is a nice touch tho. Should’ve thrown in some more overtly racist dog whistles beyond the “open borders” trope - really a missed opportunity. Maybe something about “inner city violence” would’ve been a real cake topper

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

Gee, I hope nobody calls Matt Gaetz's office repeatedly with the message that Bus #137 from Austin to D.C. is filled entirely with unaccompanied female minors between 15-17 years of age.  And that he should meet the bus near the Capitol. It would be in such poor taste for people to constantly call his D.C. office with that information: 850-479-1183.  Please don't do it people, he has real work to do! 

Can’t wait to see the final bill for this border political shitshow.

We have no problem wasting a few billion on this grandstanding but not things that would actually help people. How more people aren’t pissed at this during tax time is amazing

• Rage+1 3

On 4/6/2022 at 5:04 PM, bluto said:

Could the feds in DC take em off the bus, expeditiously grant them citizenship/green card/asylum then ship them right back to Tx? That would make me laugh for days. 

And it would make the state a better place. New hard-working, polite residents? I'm in. 

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 1

Asking for another $500mm, that's what they're doing.  And they're gonna get it.  You think property appraisal spikes this very week are a fucking coincidence?  Even though Huffines retreated back under his bridge, Greg literally wants to keep going with the wall facade.  FUCKADE! 

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Asking for another $500mm, that's what they're doing.  And they're gonna get it.  You think property appraisal spikes this very week are a fucking coincidence?  Even though Huffines retreated back under his bridge, Greg literally wants to keep going with the wall facade.  FUCKADE! 

What do property appraisal spikes have to do with state funding/expenses

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

this fucking dumb douche is approaching trump level of fake showmanship. what a complete fucking fraud. his law school should be embarrassed 

How many people who have been processed and released are going to be available for the government to voluntarily get on a bus out of the state?  Even 1?

guess this can go here:

The school year at MacArthur High in Irving, Texas, began last fall with the administration scraping off rainbow stickers that had been posted on campus, prompting hundreds of students to walk out in protest. Seven months later, LGBTQ students say things have  deteriorated further. 

One faculty sponsor of the school’s Gay-Straight Alliance is facing having her contract terminated, another is preparing to resign, and a third has been removed from the classroom. The alliance’s weekly meetings became monthly, and attendance dropped from about 40 students to fewer than 10. The student newspaper has functionally shut down. Two teachers said that the school’s principal asked teachers to take down gay pride flags in their classrooms and offices.

Several students said that either they or their classmates have been called homophobic slurs and bullied, and school staff members have failed to intervene. Some said they’re discouraged by the Irving Independent School District’s response to the concerns they’ve raised through the Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) and school board meetings, and they feel less safe at school than they did a year ago. Two students said human resources officers with the district questioned them about their involvement with the GSA.  

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/lgbtq-students-texas-school-rainbow-stickers-rcna23208

• Rage+1 5

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

[GQP] Well, they should just stop being pedophile gay faggots, and they won't have nuthin' to worry about! [GQP]

Are we really still having a conversation about whether the GQP has gone all-in on being the party of cruelty and hatred, and the more cruel and hateful the better?  Their officials are openly calling for lynchings of black people now, so I'm pretty sure we can safely remove all doubt.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

20 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Great, in this way conservatives are getting their wish, we're heading back to the 1950's.  I'm sick and fucking tired of this shit.

As a gay person, I wonder if you hear or read NTTAWWT the same way I have begun to. Of course, it started as straight person awkwardness in dealing with openly gay people. It was a clumsy attempt at acceptance.

Now, it often sounds like a threat to me. Now it often sounds like I'l say there's nothing wrong with that but we really all agree there is something wrong with that har har. 

It they have their way, GOPs are going to make it hard on a lot of people in their Christian Church of Hypocrisy. Every town will have a First Fuck What Jesus Would Do Holy Temple.

I just read the last few pages of the Death Cult thread. Puts a damper on a beautiful day in Austin, Texas.

On 4/7/2022 at 10:23 AM, Pig Bellmont said:

How many people who have been processed and released are going to be available for the government to voluntarily get on a bus out of the state?  Even 

Edited by LW Goatman

On 4/9/2022 at 1:21 PM, RomaVicta said:

As a gay person, I wonder if you hear or read NTTAWWT the same way I have begun to. Of course, it started as straight person awkwardness in dealing with openly gay people. It was a clumsy attempt at acceptance.

Now, it often sounds like a threat to me. Now it often sounds like I'l say there's nothing wrong with that but we really all agree there is something wrong with that har har. 

Honestly, I've always heard it the way you are starting to hear it, even when I know it's coming from people that don't mean it that way.  I'm not going to call it out here though because #1, I actually don't care if you want to be a homophobic asshole unless you are then going to turn that into creating government action that will abridge my rights and #2, I try to give people the benefit of the doubt until they explicitly make it clear they are in favor of #1.  It's why I'm a lot more ok with someone like you or Brisket saying that than I ever was with someone like LonghornLaw, that piece of shit, who delighted in the government's suppression of my rights.  I'm glad he's gone, and I hope he's miserable in whatever he started doing that caused him to go away.

• Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Honestly, I've always heard it the way you are starting to hear it, even when I know it's coming from people that don't mean it that way.  I'm not going to call it out here though because #1, I actually don't care if you want to be a homophobic asshole unless you are then going to turn that into creating government action that will abridge my rights and #2, I try to give people the benefit of the doubt until they explicitly make it clear they are in favor of #1.  It's why I'm a lot more ok with someone like you or Brisket saying that than I ever was with someone like LonghornLaw, that piece of shit, who delighted in the government's suppression of my rights.  I'm glad he's gone, and I hope he's miserable in whatever he started doing that caused him to go away.

Thanks so much for responding. Very insightful. 

It occurs to me that Seinfeld may have actually been illustrating what you heard rather than what I did. What you say about homophobes pretty much goes what I've concluded is all that we owe each other as citizens: tolerance. 

As long as someone isn't hurting anyone and I'm not forced to watch, people can do as they please. 

Again, really appreciate the answer, my friend. 

On 4/7/2022 at 10:23 AM, Pig Bellmont said:

How many people who have been processed and released are going to be available for the government to voluntarily get on a bus out of the state?  Even 1?

I'm getting closer and closer to getting on a bus out of Texas. As soon as Greg can steal funds from education, medical care, and proper regulation of foster care, I'm sure there will be plenty of busses made available.

Have I mentioned that I'm embarrassed to be a Texan?

• Hook 'Em 2

Fucking hot wheels

When you realize that the party governing Texas has literally zero interest in actually governing, instead preferring to engage in an endless series of publicity stunts punctuated with episodes of bullying weaker/less powerful people, it all makes sense.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

On 4/6/2022 at 3:26 PM, Lobo said:

Gee, I hope nobody calls Matt Gaetz's office repeatedly with the message that Bus #137 from Austin to D.C. is filled entirely with unaccompanied female minors between 15-17 years of age.  And that he should meet the bus near the Capitol. It would be in such poor taste for people to constantly call his D.C. office with that information: 850-479-1183.  Please don't do it people, he has real work to do! 

On 4/6/2022 at 4:14 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Transport minors across state lines

Good point. Everyone make sure to mention this when you call Gaetz' office.

The busses are already trafficking the minor across state lines. Gaetz doesn't have to do it himself. 

8 minutes ago, Pods said:

Good point. Everyone make sure to mention this when you call Gaetz' office.

The busses are already trafficking the minor across state lines. Gaetz doesn't have to do it himself. 

And he passes the savings……..on to you!

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

When you realize that the party governing Texas has literally zero interest in actually governing, instead preferring to engage in an endless series of publicity stunts punctuated with episodes of bullying weaker/less powerful people, it all makes sense.

Unfortunate, but that's reality.

They'll scream till they are red in the face that government is corrupt and incompetent. If you elect them, they'll damn sure try to fulfill that prophecy.

They want to break things and hurt people. As long as it's the right things and people hurt, that's a feature, not a bug.